• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Psycho_Ninja

Psycho_Ninja

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 06:53 PM

Tippmann and many other people have claimed that there markers are tough as nails. How true is this? I have an A5 and it seems pretty tough. My idea for this post is for people to tell there sotires about how tough there tippmann markers really are. IF you have any storys about a tippmann marker surviving, or getting destryoed in some kind of accident. Post them here....

#2 Cantonlax8

Cantonlax8

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 07:05 PM

A kid that goes to the same field as me has a 98 that survived after being rolled over by a Dodge Dakota. It's still shooting :D

#3 HeroForADay

HeroForADay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,824 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 07:07 PM

They are built to withstand more than an average players abuse.

Still aint indestructible though.

#4 MNpaintball

MNpaintball

Ya Hoser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,996 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 07:11 PM

my friend accidently left his 98c outside all winter, and when he found it in spring, it was shooting fine!

Gearbag Sale!!! http://www.techpb.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=157802

Dangerous Power FX for Sale: http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=157232

~MNpaintball's Feedback~

#5 Chace365

Chace365

Slurm!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,527 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 07:52 PM

not indestructable but more durable than the average player would ever need imo
Want to be an ASS-HAT?
Go ahead and put a big FIRST as a reply to someones question.
Posted Image
Modder's Guild- Where custom is customary.

#6 jellybean18

jellybean18

Death before Dishonor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 08:07 PM

Well: I was shooting in my backyard and tripped over some wiring and dropped it down a hill into a creek. the "hill" is what is left of an old house's foundation when it fell backwards into the creek. most of the house was cleaned up but there's still a lot of concrete with rebar poking out of it. my 98 bounced down this hill until it came to rest at the bottom of the creek (it's only about 3 ft. deep). it sat there for about a half hour while I got some swim shorts on and down to the creek. when i got back up. i left it sitting in front of a horse trailor beside my house. when my dad got home he backed his F-250 Superduty up to the trailor running over my beloved 98c. then he loads about 4 horses into the trailor and pulls out, running over the gun again, which was then run over a 3rd time by a trailor with 4 horses in it. it's pretty scratched up and i had to get a new hopper but it STILL shoots fine lol
Posted Image

#7 Mr.SmileyASDF

Mr.SmileyASDF

Hey, I've got a custom members title!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 08:39 PM

Well: I was shooting in my backyard and tripped over some wiring and dropped it down a hill into a creek. the "hill" is what is left of an old house's foundation when it fell backwards into the creek. most of the house was cleaned up but there's still a lot of concrete with rebar poking out of it. my 98 bounced down this hill until it came to rest at the bottom of the creek (it's only about 3 ft. deep). it sat there for about a half hour while I got some swim shorts on and down to the creek. when i got back up. i left it sitting in front of a horse trailor beside my house. when my dad got home he backed his F-250 Superduty up to the trailor running over my beloved 98c. then he loads about 4 horses into the trailor and pulls out, running over the gun again, which was then run over a 3rd time by a trailor with 4 horses in it. it's pretty scratched up and i had to get a new hopper but it STILL shoots fine lol

Wow

#8 Psycho_Ninja

Psycho_Ninja

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 10:59 PM

hahaha, man if that storys real thats pretty kool

#9 REMER

REMER

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 11:51 PM

ive been playing for 11 years and i have seen one tippmann jam and it litterly stopped the game and everyone looked at it and said no way

#10 The-Sniper

The-Sniper

Ohio Woodsballer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 12:11 AM

I have owned three and only one broke. A cracked power tube, besides that I have never seen one go down, they are respected for a reason.

QUOTE (U83R 1337 @ Jun 18 2009, 12:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats IF you can get past the borders, and once you do I'll send the polar bears and beavers to attack you.

#11 jellybean18

jellybean18

Death before Dishonor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 12:15 AM

hahaha, man if that storys real thats pretty kool

yeah, it is. i had the stock hopper on there. so when it fell down the hill it got beat up pretty bad. I have a 16" J&J ceramic on it but luckily i was comparing the accuracy of it to my stock 8" when i fell so the stock barrel was bent up really bad
Posted Image

#12 jmoutlaw

jmoutlaw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 12:20 AM

The externals of Tippmanns are durable as hell. The internals are another story all together. I have cracked 3 power tubes, broken 2 ratchets on cyclones, and fried a eframe with ambient humidity.

Edited by jmoutlaw, 23 June 2009 - 12:39 AM.

ADVERSITY, Bitch!!
Sponsored by HedzUp.

#13 ibunkeru666

ibunkeru666

what do i type here?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 08:37 PM

one time me and a buddy decided to torture test the 98c for the same reason (to see when they stopped). We submerged it in water and mud and cycled the bolt (allowing mud and water to get in), we dropped it from a deck, we buried it (with out air) for a couple days, backed over it with a bob cat. After each test the tippmann fired, not nicely but still fired. the one time we got it to fail was when we got a fire really hot and tossed it in (degassed of course) and let it sit, well that melted the o-rings, the bolt, and powertube into place making it completely useless.
Posted Image
Ion Owners Group #1 ETEK OWNERS GROUP #17

#14 Watcher

Watcher

AKA CavDragoneb12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 08:53 PM

Just think about it. A lot of paintball guns use thin aluminum; Tippmanns use thick aluminum (X7 and TPX excluded). Which do you think will be stronger?

They aren't aluminum. They are cast pot-metal. It is why you can't annodize them... The X-7 is magnesium and that along with the TPX and Triumph (being composite) are the only exceptions.

I have personally found an original Model 98 buried in mud at the local field. It was rusty to near holes in the gills, and I had to kick open the bolt. Put a new tank on it, and despite leaking like a colander it shot.

Let me put it this way, there is a reason why 95% of fields choose the 98 as their rental gun...

I wouldn't say the same for any of the modern Tippmann stuff, ever since they got bought out the stuff they make is crap.

Edited by Watcher, 04 July 2009 - 08:54 PM.

Tippmann Tech
Everything Rob "Tyger" Rubin
Alaska's Coolest Paintball Webcomic!

"The frightening thing about [humans] is their utterly mindless determination to do whatever mindless thing it is they are determined to do."
- Douglass Adams, RIP

-

Posted Image

#15 Watcher

Watcher

AKA CavDragoneb12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 08:59 PM

theyre like titanium of paintball..but the quality sucks for accuracy unless you like milsim im soz..

My Tippmann isn't innaccurate... What makes them innaccurate?

A 98 with a good barrel vs, say, an ION with the same brand and bore barrel shooting the same paint will be no different...

Tippmann Tech

"The frightening thing about [humans] is their utterly mindless determination to do whatever mindless thing it is they are determined to do."
- Douglass Adams, RIP

-

Posted Image

#16 Watcher

Watcher

AKA CavDragoneb12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 09:10 PM

theyre like titanium of paintball..but the quality sucks for accuracy unless you like milsim im soz..

My Tippmann isn't innaccurate... What makes them innaccurate?

A 98 with a good barrel vs, say, an ION with the same brand and bore barrel shooting the same paint will be no different...

actually it is...it always uncocks and stuff and swirls..

... so... You are saying... and I want to be sure of this...

... Uncocking and "stuff" make the gun shoot less accurately...
... and somehow... being a Tippmann makes... "swirls"?

Ok, yeah. And why would it uncock?

Tippmann Tech

- Douglass Adams, RIP

-

Posted Image

#17 Watcher

Watcher

AKA CavDragoneb12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 09:17 PM

... so... You are saying... and I want to be sure of this...

... Uncocking and "stuff" make the gun shoot less accurately...
... and somehow... being a Tippmann makes... "swirls"?

Ok, yeah. And why would it uncock?

because it fails underpressure
i lol'd at this say but it matches with what im saying...i broke my dads 98c by throwing it in the riverbed when it flooded and he made me buy a new one for him...and the barrel sucks...it always swirls...and the bolt always brakes paint

Because you broke it, you claim the Tippmanns aren't durable.
Because the stock barrel isn't accurate, you think the gun itself is inaccurate.
Because you use a gravity feed hopper and outshoot it and thus chop, you say the bolt chops.

I say my 98 has lasted me a good few years without a single issue excepting a cyclone ratchet crack.
I say my 98 is accurate, but I use a Lapco barrel.
I say my 98 doesn't chop with the stock bolt, but I have a cyclone feed.

So, who is right here? If you treat your equipment like garbage, expect it to operate thusly. Don't blame the gun for your own shortcomings.

Edited by Watcher, 04 July 2009 - 09:19 PM.

Tippmann Tech

- Douglass Adams, RIP

-

Posted Image

#18 Watcher

Watcher

AKA CavDragoneb12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 09:30 PM

he had a CF ya d bag so stop flaming on me ya tippmann fanboy my ion will own your face out anyday dude...and if the barrel affects the tippy that bad bonestock then its obviously not worth the money to upgrade it a shit load

Ok, I don't know what a CF is. I never meant to flame you, but if you wanted to take the thread off topic with rediculous accusations you brought it on yourself. I asked you to clarify what you meant, you failed to present anything of the sort and instead made an uninformed statement which only led me to believe you are ignorant. And if you don't know what you are talking about, you shouldn't be posting like you have valid input.

Secondly, I'd like to see any ion "own my face". I'd like to say bring it and play it, but it'd probably break when it came out of your gear-bag, assuming you have one.

Because the 98 isn't very good bone-stock, it is pointless to upgrade... Well, with that mentality it is a wonder you have an ion...

... And I can't expect to take you seriously unless you type like a normal person so everyone can understand what you want to say.

Take some time off the computer, enjoy the fireworks, clear your head, then come back and talk to me.

Tippmann Tech

- Douglass Adams, RIP

-

Posted Image

#19 Lord Odin

Lord Odin

3 may keep a secret if 2 of them are dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 10:31 PM

Just think about it. A lot of paintball guns use thin aluminum; Tippmanns use thick aluminum (X7 and TPX excluded). Which do you think will be stronger?

They aren't aluminum. They are cast pot-metal. It is why you can't annodize them... The X-7 is magnesium and that along with the TPX and Triumph (being composite) are the only exceptions.

If you're going to get specific, then the A5 and 98 are aluminum alloys; not straight aluminum (ie - pot metal (slang term)). Just as the X7 is a magnesium alloy and not straight magnesium.

#20 Watcher

Watcher

AKA CavDragoneb12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 10:59 PM

If you're going to get specific, then the A5 and 98 are aluminum alloys; not straight aluminum (ie - pot metal (slang term)). Just as the X7 is a magnesium alloy and not straight magnesium.

:rolleyes: Yeah...

But speaking in terms of Aluminum as it is used in most paintball markers, a Tippmann is not...

Tippmann Tech

- Douglass Adams, RIP

-

Posted Image

#21 Al Sharpton

Al Sharpton

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 02:32 PM

a couple weeks ago i was playing in the rain and slipped and took a barrel first fall on to the gun. i landed on the stock and shoved the barrel about 3in into the ground. the hopper popped off and after i put it back on and cleaned the dirt out of my barrel it shot fine. the barrel and stock held up better than i thought they would considering the barrel is a smart parts 2pc all american and the stock is a broken m4 stock that is being held on with a borg style stock mount and im about 270lbs. thats alot of pressure on the gun. :lol:
If you hate the people that act like Obama's presidency is the second coming of Christ copy this into your sig!!!
STOP PUTTING BULLSHIT FIGURES IN YOUR SIGS!!!!! (98% of people think it's dumb)

#22 BCfrontman17

BCfrontman17

I don't know, I'm having an identity crisis!!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 01:10 PM

he had a CF ya d bag so stop flaming on me ya tippmann fanboy my ion will own your face out anyday dude...and if the barrel affects the tippy that bad bonestock then its obviously not worth the money to upgrade it a shit load
[/quote]

I know this is digging up an old thread but I can't resist, own his face with your ion? I'll roflstomp your face and smartass with a Brass eagle talon ghost son, it's all about the player, not the gun. As far as your ion goes, ion's are garbage. Period, i rather buy a G3 and have it perform better than an ion with 800 dollars of upgrades in it. But different strokes for different Folks. And he's not flaming you, he's pointing out what you said that was absolutely rediculous, you can't blame the gun for your retarded actions and treatment of it. My 98 has a e-grip and I threw it in the water, slammed it up against a tree, threw it off my cousins two story house onto his driveway, works like a charm.... Yes it aint as pretty as your precious ion but it performs a hell of a lot better.

Oh well I'm done now.
If you are under 18 and pay for your own gear, put this in your sig.
If you are a Christian put this in your sig. Xbox Live gamer tag - Lord USMC

#23 Craig

Craig

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 03:47 AM

I've always had at least one Tippmann or another since 1990 and the only time they ever 'broke' was when I did something wrong in the disassembly/assembly process (i.e. overtightening bolts and screws).
If you can read this, thank a teacher.
If you can read this in English, thank a Marine.

#24 fieldblazer

fieldblazer

P1c7ur35 4r3 4 n00b5, 4nd n0n-l337 sp34k3r5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 01:11 PM

I have had only one problem with my Tippmann. The front sight screw stripped. The head of it stripped, not the scre-in part(does that make sense?) Other than that, no problems than that.

Pump/stock class Club, Budget Baller Clan, Vulcan Flock president, Tippmann Clan, I have a Cat club, Skinny Ballers Club, Fit Ballers club, WMW's!!!!!, Christian Baller Club
If you wake up to Techpb put this in your sig!

#25 tipp-man

tipp-man

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 01:58 PM

they claim they are tough as nails because they are! they are made from metal for god sakes they are by far the most physically durable markers on the market. plus once decked out they look pretty sick. my a-5 is godly in woodsball:)

#26 Watcher

Watcher

AKA CavDragoneb12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 02:45 PM

... they are by far the most physically durable markers on the market.

I can think of only one gun made that is more durable: an Automag.

But, keep in mind that the Automags are all Stainless Steel...

Tippmann Tech

- Douglass Adams, RIP

-

Posted Image

#27 Black Eagle

Black Eagle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 09:13 PM

mY X7 HAS NOT GIVEN ME ANY PROBLEMS HAD IT FO A YEAR NOW

#28 buhju

buhju

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 04:55 AM

I made a failed attempt at customizing my 98. The end result was a gun with about half the paint it started with, big gouges in it, and the back sight completely gone. (I took it to a grinder) Don't ask me what I was trying to do because I can't remember. My thought is somebody put something in my food that day. :D

I forgot my 98 in my back woods for a week. I found it when I accidentally ran it over with the a.t.v. There was ants all over it (big ones), inside and out. I gassed it up and shot it and the ants came flying out. Other than a little rust it is just fine.

My x7 was breaking every other ball one day so i stuck it in the river and shot it a couple times. It seemed to help. :D That was a really bad day... I put my pistol barrel on my x7 that day so I could swab it out with my finger. When you use a 1" barrel, your range goes down to about 50 ft but chops and barrel breaks don't affect you at all.

#29 kace922

kace922

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 08:55 AM

heck i prefer using my A5 over my SLG. Tippmanns are tuff. Never had a problem with my 98 or A5. The only exception is my TPX. Tippmann is sending me all new parts tho. Their customer service rules.

#30 Sequoia SC

Sequoia SC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 10:21 PM

There is a damn good reason why most paintball fields use 98c's as a rental marker. I ended up finding a marker buried in dirt with little roots growing around it. dirt got behind the hammer through the cocking slot and all inside the bolt and barrel. cleaned out the asa screwed on the tank and POP POP I wasn't surprised.

#31 Nolan

Nolan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 12:29 AM

well check this video out and see for yourself

If you wipe
i wont bonus ball you
i wont monster ball you
i will bonus ball you with monsterballs

#32 yaely7

yaely7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 08:24 PM

Well..... I was at Skirmish and I was ruuning throgh the woods with my 98c and then I feel into a lake, gun and all, and I got up and shot a whole hopper into 4 guys.Posted Image

#33 bigballa

bigballa

Who's Your Papa?!?

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,205 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:00 PM

I'm not a huge fan of tippmann like I used to be. You give up too much for durability imo, but they are a lot of fun to upgrade and the most durable out there.
Posted Image
13No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.

#34 SH4RPSH00T3R-93

SH4RPSH00T3R-93

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:47 PM

I'm not going to take the time to quote anyone from this thread, but I'm sure you'll know who I'm talking about. My a5 has a 14" J&J ceramic that I got for $30 and from about 25 yards away I can shoot a 6 inch group with 10+ rounds and less than one second between rounds anytime. Before I got my a5, I rented out a 98 with a 14" barrel of similar price and from near 80 yards away was lobbing rounds right past my friend's head, nearly hitting him after 5-10 rounds.
Even with a cheap(er) barrel, accuracy becomes a thing of the past with a Tippmann. By the way, I highly reccomend the J&J ceramic barrels. Great accuracy, sweet flat black finish, great porting, needs no cleaning other if you get shot in the porting. Never had a barrel break!

Getting back on topic though... I was at the frontlines at the Synergy D-day event this year. While not paying attention and trying to get a better look, I crept out behind an incorrectly laid wire spool. (It was sitting on both ends/horizontal.) All of a sudden a guy snaps out about 20 feet away with his speedball gun and tries to light me up but I (attempted) to dive behind a board. The only problem is that I'm 230 lbs. and quite strong, so when I dove into the two 4" trees that were spaced so that they stopped me on the end of the tank (adding to the force applied to the asa and grip frame) and the end of the barrel. That was an O SNAP moment in which my entire body weight was put onto the ends of the gun. I got to cover and started firing back, without a single problem.
Posted Image

#35 Mavalon

Mavalon

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 12:22 PM

I've had a few problems with my 98 but I kind of deserved them. The only one that really pissed me off was when I threw my marker to run faster in capture the flag. It slammed into a tree and broke the cyclone off, I was able to screw it back on with some new screws from the hardware store, important thing though was that I got back with the flag and the busted cyclone gave me a chance to use my pump. Posted Image
A tout le monde
A tout mes amis
Je vous aime
Je dois partir

#36 Fake_Blood

Fake_Blood

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 03:24 PM

I've had a few problems with my 98 but I kind of deserved them. The only one that really pissed me off was when I threw my marker to run faster in capture the flag. It slammed into a tree and broke the cyclone off, I was able to screw it back on with some new screws from the hardware store, important thing though was that I got back with the flag and the busted cyclone gave me a chance to use my pump. Posted Image

When we play capture the flag you have to keep your gun. :P

Tippmanns are tough, the only thing I have seen mess up personally is the E-Grip board. The select-fire E-Grip A5 was my first marker.

Go mechanical and you will likely never have a serious problem.

Edited by Fake_Blood, 07 December 2010 - 03:25 PM.

#37 rainmaster9ftw

rainmaster9ftw

milsim and pump junky

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 07:00 PM

Im going to tell you a story, about someone who beat the everlasting crap out of a 98. He dropped it off a 2 and 3 story building, ran it over with his truck, put it in a lake for 3 days, stepped on it, and god only know what else. To answer your question it shoots fine, and no it wasn't me. Tranlation, its a tough marker.

Edited by rainmaster9ftw, 07 December 2010 - 07:04 PM.

Get better or get shot

#38 Reapers Team Captain

Reapers Team Captain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 02:51 PM

Wow

I heard the exact same story with every detail on PBN. I dont think this is true, or the kids from pbn copied u
The Reapers Woodsball Team
www.thereaperspaintball.webs.com
My Setup: Alpha Black Tactical w/ flatline barrel, Remoteline
3000psi HPA PMI
Tippy SSL-200 hopper

#39 nowan4ever

nowan4ever

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 03:15 PM

i accidentally dropped my tippy in a shallow fast moving river hit a few rocks got water logged, i changed my paint out and kept on playing

#40 nowan4ever

nowan4ever

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 03:19 PM

I'm not going to take the time to quote anyone from this thread, but I'm sure you'll know who I'm talking about. My a5 has a 14" J&J ceramic that I got for $30 and from about 25 yards away I can shoot a 6 inch group with 10+ rounds and less than one second between rounds anytime. Before I got my a5, I rented out a 98 with a 14" barrel of similar price and from near 80 yards away was lobbing rounds right past my friend's head, nearly hitting him after 5-10 rounds.
Even with a cheap(er) barrel, accuracy becomes a thing of the past with a Tippmann. By the way, I highly reccomend the J&J ceramic barrels. Great accuracy, sweet flat black finish, great porting, needs no cleaning other if you get shot in the porting. Never had a barrel break!

Getting back on topic though... I was at the frontlines at the Synergy D-day event this year. While not paying attention and trying to get a better look, I crept out behind an incorrectly laid wire spool. (It was sitting on both ends/horizontal.) All of a sudden a guy snaps out about 20 feet away with his speedball gun and tries to light me up but I (attempted) to dive behind a board. The only problem is that I'm 230 lbs. and quite strong, so when I dove into the two 4" trees that were spaced so that they stopped me on the end of the tank (adding to the force applied to the asa and grip frame) and the end of the barrel. That was an O SNAP moment in which my entire body weight was put onto the ends of the gun. I got to cover and started firing back, without a single problem.

how often do you go to synergy cause i live in cleveland and go there all the time

#41 walk on pro

walk on pro

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:30 PM

they are abused not cleaned and used as rentals. I rest my case

Horizontal Stock Class CCI Phantom

2011 Proto Rail, Draxxus 68/45 with Ninja Pro Reg, Halo Too with Exalt Speedfeed, CP .685 14 inch 2 Piece Barrel.

#42 Jaccen

Jaccen

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:37 PM

I, personally, believe Tippmanns before the buy out were a better quality product. That being said, they are still considered one of the most durable markers out there as long as you stick to their mechanical blowback roots.

#43 DarkSide

DarkSide

I want that Purple stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:53 PM

They can go through hell and still perform as well as they did when you first got it.
"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

#44 fullyloadedbeer

fullyloadedbeer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:07 PM

i saw this guy and he threw his 98 in mud and it shot just fine

#45 TinyBear

TinyBear

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:04 AM

I personally bought my Pro Carbine NEW in 1999. In the 13 years i have owned and shot that gun it has seen HELL.

For a long time it was my beater/loaner gun. Its the one i used when the rain started pouring and when i knew at some point due to conditions i was gone end up on my rear. Its the gun i loaned out to new pliers when i brought them out to the field. My sister one time used it and took a header down this hill and used the barrel as here weak and stuffed a good 5" of mud core sample down the barrel (the barrel did not survive). But the gun STILL shoots as good as day one and in the 13 years the ONLY repair the gun has needed is ONE ORING for the Air adapter going to the valve.

Now a days it hangs proudly over my bar all shiny as kinda a trophy. BUT every now and then i take it out to the field for old times sake (still shoots awesome wish tippmann would bring em back way better feel to em than the 98c or A5s). Today i got a new A5 to use as my beater/loaner and i absolutely love the gun but still think the Carbine felt more like a bloody TANK even thought it is lighter/smaller.
AGD 68 Automag, AGD RT ULE, Azodin KPII, Sheridan PGP 2k, Tiberius T8.1,Tippmann Pro/Carbine, Tippmann SL-68II

#46 stinkfingr

stinkfingr

time traveller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Location:Trapped Between The Worlds Of Make Believe, And Large Giant Multi Colored Shimmering Jello Cubes

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:35 PM

i do believe the older ones are extremely reliable. i have not shot one or even held one that was made after the buyout, but have not heard as good of things about them. That being said, i put my old a-5 through some beatings and it held up great ... i am afraid that if i had the same treatment on my dm, it would not have held up nearly as well.

#47 FreeEnterprise

FreeEnterprise

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:11 PM

The reason I purchased my Tippmann A-5 when I started was I wanted a made in the USA marker. And I didn't want to mess with my marker. I just wanted to play. And with my A-5 I can do just that. I use it, and throw it in the corner, and next time I'm ready to play, it works.

Everytime.

I did go through the whole "upgrade" thing and put techt stuff on my cyclone, but once I literally WORE out my ratched (the aluminum actually shredded from use) I went back to my old stock internals. And then one time I broke my white ratchet, (but I took it out in 5 degree temps to see what would happen... And Tippmann sent me the new black style ratchet FOR FREE! Even paid the shipping and threw in a spare...

Check out my youtube channel I have over 100 videos using my A-5. And it always fires when I pull the trigger, and often I tag out the other guy with it before they even get a chance to fire at me! It is an amazing marker!

#48 CptKaveman

CptKaveman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

My A5 took a core sample while I was doing an accidental front flip down a hill . The first ball I shot broke but it got the dirt out :D

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users