26 replies to this topic

#1 Lord Odin

Lord Odin

3 may keep a secret if 2 of them are dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 03:05 AM

EDIT (1/9/10): I finally won the dispute against WMG about claiming music that isn't their own. So now the videos have been approved for use on YouTube and are available for viewing. Please see my later posts for viewing them.

Edited by Lord Odin, 09 January 2010 - 04:38 PM.

#2 Spitlebug

Spitlebug

Canadian Cross Dressing, Bull ball Toucher.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,044 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 05:23 AM

What is changed here in regards to your original posts? The only different video I see is the Apex video?

So tempted to suspend Kitty just so I can say I have....
Okay, fuck it....I just banned Kitty, that's going in the sig.

Administrator - ICD Owner's Group

Posted Image

#3 Deadpool

Deadpool

Knock knock. I have a delivery of pain, will you sign?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 09:23 AM

Great vids! My only question is why would anyone use the FS in reverse?....and anyone found doing so should be reported to the proper authorities.....

Edited by Deadpool, 28 June 2009 - 09:25 AM.

#4 Deadpool

Deadpool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 09:39 AM

huh.... really?

wouldnt have guessed that....

#5 Lord Odin

Lord Odin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 10:26 AM

What is changed here in regards to your original posts? The only different video I see is the Apex video?

These are almost all different from the original. They test different conditions that the original vids did not.

Great vids! My only question is why would anyone use the FS in reverse?....and anyone found doing so should be reported to the proper authorities.....

I would actually feel safer if someone did that. The Apex would slow the round down a little or possibly even break the skirt altogether.

Edited by Lord Odin, 28 June 2009 - 10:27 AM.

#6 Bean

Bean

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 04:44 PM

I don't agree or disagree with your conclusion, I have taken a close range hit to the neck from a First Strike fired by a T9, and it was well... like getting shot in the neck, its not exactly pleasant, but it did not do noticeably more damage than any paintball to the neck shots I've taken.

I also got shot in the hand at point blank with one (around 3-4 inches from the barrel end) at 290ish FPS (FS earlier chrono), after about 2 weeks, it has pretty much healed, around the top of the hit it looks like there is some black blood under the surface of the skin.

personally from about a dozen or so shots taken I haven't noticed anything particularly worse about first strike wounds... nothing better for sure though either hah.

#7 Deadpool

Deadpool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 04:55 PM

Bean are you seeing alot of FS out by where you play? Is it catching on would you say or is price/field policy (some) restricting its uses?

#8 Spitlebug

Spitlebug

Canadian Cross Dressing, Bull ball Toucher.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,044 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 07:57 PM

A thought occurred to me just recently while watching the second set of videos. Do you think that the full impact is being felt on the mask lens when using that bust/head for testing? It seems to me that it has less resistance than a real head would have because it wobbles quite a bit - as in the idea that less force is being directly applied to the lens due to the kinetic conversion of the wobble.

So tempted to suspend Kitty just so I can say I have....
Okay, fuck it....I just banned Kitty, that's going in the sig.

Administrator - ICD Owner's Group

Posted Image

#9 Trum_15

Trum_15

Uber Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,327 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:05 PM

the vloctiy test was that to see if it slows down or is it to see what you have to chrono the paintballs at to get the First Strike Rounds to be at 285?

#10 Lord Odin

Lord Odin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:18 PM

A thought occurred to me just recently while watching the second set of videos. Do you think that the full impact is being felt on the mask lens when using that bust/head for testing? It seems to me that it has less resistance than a real head would have because it wobbles quite a bit - as in the idea that less force is being directly applied to the lens due to the kinetic conversion of the wobble.

It probably wouldn't hurt to have the head be heavier. I don't know if it would be enough to cause more cracks though. Like people keep suggesting, it would take a lot of lenses and shots to get a good statistic out of it. Even then, I don't think people would believe it. I was just curious it would take to cause a crack and if there was any difference between the two rounds. I feel perfectly safe taking a 300 fps or less shot in the lens with one of those though.

the vloctiy test was that to see if it slows down or is it to see what you have to chrono the paintballs at to get the First Strike Rounds to be at 285?

The velocity comparison test was to see if damage gets worse or better if you change the velocities. I know I was personally concerned about dropping the velocity because I thought that the round might not break and might cause bigger jagged edges. That turned out not to be the case. After seeing the slower velocity and seeing it does in fact do less damage, Reeko and I felt safer doing a point blank shot on flesh.

#11 Sigma Sparda

Sigma Sparda

Proudly sponsored by ANSGear.

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,123 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:32 PM

Downloading as I type. Good stuff Odin, good stuff.
Posted Image
Rowan Platoon Frontman. Check Us Out.

(TechPB-Mike @ Jul 28 2009, 08:13 PM)
When I score first post in ANYTHING, I drive to the closest walmart, kick the doors in, and yell "I got first post mother fuckers!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

#12 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • 11,496 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 11:48 PM

In this video, this shot grazed my mask and hit me half on the mask, half on the forehead

Let me tell you what, if I was going to get bunkered, I'd take being shot with First Strike rounds over "brand X" any day of the week.

It's like being hit with brittle, tournament grade paintballs. This weekend at Badlands, someone was shooting paint that felt like I was being hit with rocks

I'd honestly say 60% of the paint being shot every single weekend (low grade, thick shell) hurts alot more than First Strike Rounds

#13 brycelarson

brycelarson

Show me the Data!

• 8,588 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 08:35 AM

yup, couldn't agree more. I was shot with the first strike this weekend - nice welt. Looks like I was bunkered (it waa from 150+ feet :) )

The one that really is hurting was the crappy walmart paint I took to the top of the head. I ducked a mask shot - but not quite enough - my ears were ringing and I've had a terrible headache for a couple of days. I'll take the big welt over the minor concussion any day.

#14 Bean

Bean

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 10:15 AM

Bean are you seeing alot of FS out by where you play? Is it catching on would you say or is price/field policy (some) restricting its uses?

Well my field (LVP South - Hatfield, PA) allows me to use it.. they are purchasing a few 24 tube boxes, I have been ordering online up to this point. I've never seen anyone else use it at my local field.

From talking with Tiberius, I've heard that availability is increasing at major events, tournaments (UWL), and individual purchases that could cut costs by about 50%, (still pretty high at around .40-.50 cents each).

I highly doubt you'll get overshot at close range, as ROF on a T8, T9, T4 is hardly what I would call stellar.

There is also a different mentality when shooting them, shoot, look, shoot, not so much spraying indiscriminately, (you know .. due to the cost) :P

Edit: I'm pretty interested in the UMS Rifle in your avatar, I just got a compensator today for my T9, nice quality work.

Edited by Bean, 29 June 2009 - 10:17 AM.

#15 Deadpool

Deadpool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 10:22 AM

lol I think you and I are "cut" from the same cloth.... so to speak...

yeah I am trying to save up for it while supplies last...

I will friend you and we can talk more offline....

#16 Lord Odin

Lord Odin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 11:05 AM

I'll take a break over a bounce any day of the week. Those bounces hurt like hell.

#17 brycelarson

brycelarson

Show me the Data!

• 8,588 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 12:56 PM

I'll take a break over a bounce any day of the week. Those bounces hurt like hell.

yup, and the first strike rounds break like the most brittle paint we've found in our testing.

#18 Lord Odin

Lord Odin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 02:24 PM

yup, and the first strike rounds break like the most brittle paint we've found in our testing.

The dome might be brittle but the skirt sure isn't. Especially where the dome meets the skirt at the T intersection.

#19 brycelarson

brycelarson

Show me the Data!

• 8,588 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 03:00 PM

The dome might be brittle but the skirt sure isn't. Especially where the dome meets the skirt at the T intersection.

right, but the nose is very brittle - and as your testing as well as everything else does shows - they always hit nose first.

#20 Bean

Bean

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 08:35 PM

Well... if you're shooting it out of a marker designed for the First Strike (Tac 4/8/9) it is virtually impossible to load it backwards since insertation at the top of the mag can only be done one way without forcing it and breaking the fins off.

#21 Lord Odin

Lord Odin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 11:13 PM

Right but the skirt follows the dome. The dome isn't the problem, IMO, it's the skirt (in either direction).

Edited by Lord Odin, 29 June 2009 - 11:14 PM.

#22 Lord Odin

Lord Odin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 01:20 PM

<_< you're the only one who I know has used the rounds, that is still concerned with the skirt...

-Tenacious

I'm also one of the few who has shot these things in varying situations. Everybody else seems to just shoot at each other, praise how accurate they are, and say how they're the best thing ever since oxygen. :rolleyes:

#23 Doobie

Doobie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 03:43 PM

I do not know if anyone has this equipment, but what about about shooting the FS and PB rounds against one of those pads that measures Feet Per Square Inch(FPSI) of pressure? Like they use to measure force on Deadliest Warrior. If I am not mistaken, (I probably am) paintballs are SUPPOSED to be limited in weight by ASTM standards so they do not exceed a certain FPSI at a standard range at 300fps. I am sure that there is an established and agreed upon FPSI that skin sustains damage. We would then have a quantitative test.
Discuss...

(BTW...this is my first post here, but I am by no means a noob. I have been playing since 1988 and am currently the coach of the United States Military Academy at West Point Paintball Club)

Edited by Doobie, 24 July 2009 - 03:45 PM.

#24 brycelarson

brycelarson

Show me the Data!

• 8,588 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 04:00 PM

yes, the ASTM standard has a total joule number. since the first strike weighs the same as a paintball - and is traveling at the same speed the total energy will be the same.

#25 Lord Odin

Lord Odin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 04:42 PM

Here are the YouTube videos with high resolution direct download links below.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjF4PAWYGE4"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=KjF4PAWYGE4[/url]
Introduction: http://www.mediafire.com/?zczitzdnz3d

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZYTWHnfaSM"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=JZYTWHnfaSM[/url]
Chrono and Mask Test: http://www.mediafire.com/?rjbmoyg5xzj

Edited by Lord Odin, 09 January 2010 - 04:42 PM.

#26 Lord Odin

Lord Odin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 04:48 PM

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2leHuOIwdQ"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Q2leHuOIwdQ[/url]
Apex Test: http://www.mediafire.com/?wwju0m1mmmz

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qLvQxIMKoM"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=0qLvQxIMKoM[/url]
Reverse Loading Test: http://www.mediafire.com/?nmb2omqdmlm

#27 Lord Odin

Lord Odin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 04:53 PM

Velocity Comparison and Human Test: http://www.mediafire.com/?1zfo3zezq1m

Conclusions: http://www.mediafire.com/?a2inyljhjct

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users