20 replies to this topic

#1 Spiers

Spiers

Pointman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:36 PM

Its pretty simple, i've been convinced by the members of this helpful community into swaying from an A5 to an SP1 (which i thought was going to be imposible, frankly).

The thing is, i've heard everything good about it. I've watched mikes video, and even he hardly has anything bad to say about it. But no one thing is perfect right? and yes, i know the drawbacks as well (from what i hear) but they seem so miniscule, so i'd love to hear any bad things (like really really bad) about the SP1 so that i at least know what i'm gettin myself into by buying this marker.

Thanks in adance mates! Cheers!
When in doubt, empty thy hopper

I used to say i could quit anytime, and i didn't need to do it. But every time i don't, my fingers twitch, my mouth goes dry, i become restless. And every time i do, i start to sweat, my breathing quickens, and my mind swims. I've lost my girlfriend because of this, i spend less time with my family, and i spend too much money going through pack after pack. I've got to quit, but i can't. So I'm here, and TechPB's my Paintballers Anonymous.

#2 Christopher

Christopher

Ignore Me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 10:03 PM

Its pretty simple, i've been convinced by the members of this helpful community into swaying from an A5 to an SP1 (which i thought was going to be imposible, frankly).

The thing is, i've heard everything good about it. I've watched mikes video, and even he hardly has anything bad to say about it. But no one thing is perfect right? and yes, i know the drawbacks as well (from what i hear) but they seem so miniscule, so i'd love to hear any bad things (like really really bad) about the SP1 so that i at least know what i'm gettin myself into by buying this marker.

Thanks in adance mates! Cheers!

It's sensitive to low batteries, and it can lock up if liquid CO2 gets into the reg. Those are the only major things that come to mind. It really is a very solid gun.

#3 brycelarson

brycelarson

Show me the Data!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 10:05 PM

not terribly efficient.

#4 bigvin95

bigvin95

Watch out behind you!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 10:06 PM

10 inch barrel.

#5 Tmaned

Tmaned

I inspired Prome's member title!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,659 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 01:11 AM

Those are really the only drawbacks that I could find, but you'll be fine if you use HPA, change your batteries every so often, and you're probably going to upgrade the barrel anyway.

"Experience is a nice way to say you've had your ass handed to you in a very unpleasant way and you learned something from it." Rob Rubin
"I'm certified to administer first-aid massages in the event of female breast trauma. I have a card and everything."- Prometheanflame
"You can wish in one hand and shit in the other, and see which one fills up first. The numbers come back, and it sure as hell ain't the lucky one, son."

#6 paintballer4ever

paintballer4ever

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,166 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 01:17 AM

Direct mount asa and smart parts asa's strip threads but there isnt too many things bad about the sp1

Edited by paintballer4ever, 17 July 2009 - 01:18 AM.

#7 Spiers

Spiers

Pointman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 02:54 AM

That's all the bad there is? i mean, i think, can't remember if it was the SP1 or the TM-7, i heard the shroud cracked up. What is the body made of anyways? the website says Glass Fiber (fiberglass?) and if thats the case i think the crack would be on the TM7.

In any case, i'll be getting (most probably) and SP1 within the next few days :lol:
When in doubt, empty thy hopper

I used to say i could quit anytime, and i didn't need to do it. But every time i don't, my fingers twitch, my mouth goes dry, i become restless. And every time i do, i start to sweat, my breathing quickens, and my mind swims. I've lost my girlfriend because of this, i spend less time with my family, and i spend too much money going through pack after pack. I've got to quit, but i can't. So I'm here, and TechPB's my Paintballers Anonymous.

#8 hansolo_uk

hansolo_uk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 04:44 PM

the shroud must have been the tm7 as the sp1 is made from balistic nylon same as glock h&k etc handguns
Huge paintball industry links list
http://www.facebook....131233773577659

#9 Newbie123(Dalton)

Newbie123(Dalton)

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 04:53 PM

Center Feed <_< evil smart parts should have made it on an elbow.

#10 jhicks1289

jhicks1289

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 02:25 AM

it's a spool valve. It shoots wicked great though and has seemed reliable.
Ziggity Zow!

#11 GoldenElite0

GoldenElite0

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:54 AM

I'm really searching here but these are the bad;

- Feed is central. Though some people think this is a good thing (me one of em)
- The dovetail is plastic and the screws eaisly strip it. One of mine dropped out during a game!
- Barrel is only 10 inches

All of those problems are eaisly remedied by either buying something or doing a bit of DIY. They're only really nitpicks anyway, the guns abilities far far outweight it's cons!

#12 RealtorTommy

RealtorTommy

Elite Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,361 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 11:48 PM

I know it's an old post...buy it gets alot of traffic...so here you go..

Bad....

When the battery gets around 8.4 volts or lower some SP-1's act up. Newer ones should be better.

On some SP-1's the on/off/set mode button can stick. (SP has newer style buttons if you need one) Newer ones shouldn't have this problem.

If you over tighten the top grip screw. It can effect the trigger's function. I suggest a light thread locker and keep as loose as possible.

The screws/bolts rust.

As far as screws dropping out..Lack of maintenance the cause or over tighten and strip the threads. Again light thread locker fixes everything.

I've never shot the SP-1 with CO2...I'm told if you set up the tank per instructions this helps alot.

I don't doubt some saying they stripped asa threads...I never had this happen and I play alot.

As far as not being efficient, for $175 marker I think it does well. I run a 68/4500 and I'm ready to get off the field before I need to air up. I carry four pods and a loader full of paint and I don't run out of air. I usually get off the field and load up more paint, grab a drink and go back without hitting the fill station. I never have counted the number of shots it get;s with a 68/4500......

I've never cracked open the marker to clean or lubed it this year as I'm doing a test for my personal review.
I played 7 scenario events this year and many rec days with only low battery problems.

There ya go...my opinion on the bad.

Edited by RealtorTommy, 02 December 2009 - 09:25 PM.

#13 Loh@Pointman

Loh@Pointman

Vires et Honor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 01:49 AM

Ok, so i did actually buy the SP1, and i can now give the good and the bad. well, ok since we've pretty much heard the all the good,i'll stick to the bad.

the tactical rails and the small little crevices in the shroud make for hard cleaning. I can't take of the rails as it's glued to the body and one of my screws wont screw out.

The tac light holder comes with a pin thats supposed to be taken out with an allen key, the one i got is a rivet, no dice.

if you want to remove the wedge, you need to change the gas line.

the asa threads are fine for me, i use a remote line with a quick detach, so i keep that piece of the remote line on my asa all the time, then when i play i just reattach. same goes for my tank i keep the remote on it all the time.

i've actually seen it here on techpb where someone's backplate top screw female end actually broke till the shroud, so thats pretty much irreparable.

i've had at least 5 barrels breaks in the past 2 days, it aint a bolt chop as the bolt is clean, but parts of the breach and my barrel threads have paint on them. Sometimes the muzzle break causes the paint to break

Oh and that thing about this gun being pretty quiet, balls. Its loud as hell, maybe if i changed out the barrel it'd be quieter, but stock, the whole field can hear you... good for intimidation tactics, bad for sneaking up...

efficiency wise, off a 48 ci tank i get 500 shots. pretty much the same as a BT gun. they say it runs off 200 psi, do they really?
[size="4"]When in doubt, empty thy hopper.

Pointman, live to serve, live to lead

SP1 for dummies, by dummies

#14 drummer118

drummer118

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 01:38 AM

Ok, so i did actually buy the SP1, and i can now give the good and the bad. well, ok since we've pretty much heard the all the good,i'll stick to the bad.

the tactical rails and the small little crevices in the shroud make for hard cleaning. I can't take of the rails as it's glued to the body and one of my screws wont screw out.

The tac light holder comes with a pin thats supposed to be taken out with an allen key, the one i got is a rivet, no dice.

if you want to remove the wedge, you need to change the gas line.

the asa threads are fine for me, i use a remote line with a quick detach, so i keep that piece of the remote line on my asa all the time, then when i play i just reattach. same goes for my tank i keep the remote on it all the time.

i've actually seen it here on techpb where someone's backplate top screw female end actually broke till the shroud, so thats pretty much irreparable.

i've had at least 5 barrels breaks in the past 2 days, it aint a bolt chop as the bolt is clean, but parts of the breach and my barrel threads have paint on them. Sometimes the muzzle break causes the paint to break

Oh and that thing about this gun being pretty quiet, balls. Its loud as hell, maybe if i changed out the barrel it'd be quieter, but stock, the whole field can hear you... good for intimidation tactics, bad for sneaking up...

efficiency wise, off a 48 ci tank i get 500 shots. pretty much the same as a BT gun. they say it runs off 200 psi, do they really?

^^
i disagree about it being loud i think it's quiet. especially compared to the a-5's, spyder's, and a project salvo. (all the guns besides my vibe and a 98 custom, being used in outlaw ball last saturday.) heck, even one of the people there said it sounded like my vibe had a surpressor (sp) on it. btw my vibe is just stock without the blackheart and the stock 10 inch barrell

#15 Loh@Pointman

Loh@Pointman

Vires et Honor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 05:50 AM

^^
i disagree about it being loud i think it's quiet. especially compared to the a-5's, spyder's, and a project salvo. (all the guns besides my vibe and a 98 custom, being used in outlaw ball last saturday.) heck, even one of the people there said it sounded like my vibe had a surpressor (sp) on it. btw my vibe is just stock without the blackheart and the stock 10 inch barrell

hmm..am i doing something wrong? my SP1 is on the stock 8 inch barrel (i'll deck anyone who makes a short dick joke)

When i fired my gun in comparison to an A5, it almost matched. Of course it wasn't as loud but going side by side with say, a TM15, it sounded like every shot was a howitzer going off.

My friends looking into making a silencer with CF and the stuff, if it works my team'll be getting a set.

#16 drummer118

drummer118

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 12:36 PM

hhhmmmm....no your not doing anything wrong, idk why your's is about as loud as an a-5 though. believe me though my gun was the quietest one there, if everyone was firing and then i fired it'd be very hard for them to focus on where i was at.

so, maybe it was your 8 inch barrel? it's smaller than my 10 Posted Image lol sorry had to, but let me know if that silencer works.

#17 Zero Toler4nc3

Zero Toler4nc3

Brown Baller

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:40 PM

I totally agree, My Sp 1 Is usually the quietest gun on the field!
Wierd how loud yours is, the loudest ive ever hear is my friends Mr1 it actually sounds like a real hand gun.
Immaculate Macdev Clone F/S/T
Bob Long Vice F/S/T
Snake Players Club
Heres a link to my feedback, if any doubts. 11+ Feedback

#18 Loh@Pointman

Loh@Pointman

Vires et Honor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 03:24 PM

well..i haven't played in a long time. on hindsight, it might have been because i was shooting down range full auto and he was doing it semi. You think it might have to do with my reg? my fps is at 285 though, i aint shootin hot, thats for sure..

#19 beerdoodle

beerdoodle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 12:53 PM

I'll agree with the stock barrel being loud. I would invest in a barrel with more porting. Trinity makes (made) the Recon barrel that has a silencer. I bought it last summer but I think they have since stopped making it in ion thread. If you don't mind using a thread adapter I think you can still find it. It really does make a HUGE difference in the sound signature. I think Mike mentions the Trinity Recon barrel in his SP-1 review and he shows how it works.

Basically, any barrel with more porting will make it quieter. The Recon barrel is probably the quietest I have heard to date. I have some friends that have SP-1s too and they all have after market barrels which are all quieter than the stock tactical barrel. The smart parts linear barrel is good, the all american barrel is good too.

If you want an Apex for your SP-1 I would suggest trying to find a freak system with the All American Apex ready tip. My friend bought the Lapco Big Shot 12" Apex and it's loud as hell. The only porting is a small ring at the end. It's probably just as loud as the stock barrel. I just ordered a freak system with 2 All American Apex ready fronts, the 6" front (12" with back) and the 10" front (16" with back). Doing this I had to buy two Apex tips, the two fronts, the freak back, a 14" All American front, and two under bored inserts. I think I spent nearly $300 on all of that together. That's probably a bit extreme, but I wanted the freak system.

If you use a two piece barrel system and use an under bored back, you are supposed to get greater air efficiency and great fps consistency. You can get an after market bolt to lower the operating pressure (I think the TechT bolt is the lightest but it's $50, I'll probably get it anyway).

I'd suggest getting the Blackheart board too, but since Smart Parts is currently shut down I doubt you will find one. I haven't been able to get one. Virtue is the next best board (actually, as far as I know they are the ONLY people making an after market board for the SP-1). Functionally, I think the Virtue board has a lot more customizable features than the Blackheart board. The only problem with the Virtue board is that it doesn't have eyes. It's ready for a "future eye upgrade," but I don't think they have eyes made for it yet. I know you can get the eye ready breech for the SP-1 and you can get just the blackheart eyes but I don't know if they are compatible with the Virtue board.

I'd also say the feedneck is a big con too. The feedneck is the first thing I replaced on mine. I bought the Trinity cam locking feed neck. I think it's around $25.

It runs great on co2, as long as you use a remote. I have shot about 1000 rounds out of one 20oz co2 tank. If you don't run it on a remote, even with the 11 degree wedge on the asa, liquid co2 still gets in the gun, and when that happens it won't fire. If I don't use a remote with co2 I have to dry fire about 200 shots to get rid of some of the liquid in the tank so it doesn't get in the gun. Everyone I have seen shoot it with co2 has had this problem. I can't comment on the anti-siphon co2 tanks, because I'm not spending $25 on a $20 tank (per tank) just to replace the dip tube in the tank. No thanks, I'll just use a remote. With the remote, I have yet to have my gun stall on me.

I really like the SP-1. I haven't had any major problems with mine. A friend had his solenoid go out but it was under warranty and got it fixed for free.

If you don't have the dwell mode set right it will act up pretty bad. (Ex: set the gun to HPA dwell mode when you are using co2) I think doing this can actually damage the gun. I know it will make the gun MUCH less air efficient.

I don't have a problem with air efficiency. Out of my 68/4500 tank I can get through the paint in my loader (200 rounds) and four full pods and still not run out of air. That's all the paint I carry on the field with me at a time anyway.

The flashlight is kind of *banmeplzktx* (I can say *banmeplzktx*, because me and my life partner go to Disney every single year). I have only used it once during a night game. It only makes the gun harder to clean.

The plastic material (glass fiber) is the same stuff they make Glocks out of. It's pretty rugged.

I don't think I have ever had a ball break at the bolt. I have only had a couple barrel breaks. Most of the time when I suspected a break, there was paint in my loader anyway so the ball was probably already broken.

#20 Loh@Pointman

Loh@Pointman

Vires et Honor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 12:10 PM

Well, i'm to poor at the moment to buy any upgrades for my set up - car's sinking in too much cash =(

Apart from the feedneck being a huge hassle to loosen and tighten, it's a pretty sturdy clamp. no shaking whatsoever. And i think it's just a better idea to stay away from installing a tac light. It's just another thing you have to worry about not destroying it.

I faced the same problem your friend did, and the local tech fixed it for me. And like yourself, i'm loving the gun. It's an awesome gat :lol:

#21 MFCT

MFCT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 06:15 PM

I've had two SP-1's.

First:
Ran off Co2, using remote line. Worked great. Over 1k rounds off a single tank, easily. I personally didn't think the stock barrel was that loud. I swapped it out for a stock Ion barrel and a 12" SP Progressive barrel and still didn't notice a difference in sound. Everyone calls my marker then "pew pew" gun because of how it sounds when it fires. Most breaks ended up being barrel breaks, but I can't recall more than a half a dozen in the two years I had it.

With a 90/4500 HPA tank, I was getting roughly 900-1100 shots. I eventually got an itch to make it more efficient, so I ended up trading it in for an OEM Blackheart model.

Second:
Picked up an Evil Pipe 2 piece set, .685 bore back (which I think is causing barrel breaks, more testing is needed) and a TechT L7 v.2 bolt. I originally set the dwell/FDOS per Mike's instructions, but it would "bloop" shots, so I set it at 15ms and I returned the FDOS back to 5ms. I could probably tweak that lower, however, but it's running good as is. We typically run between 285-300fps and off a 90/4500 HPA tank, I can get anywhere from 1400-1600 shots in this current setup.

Whats bad about the SP1?
Air efficiency is pretty bad, but if you have a constant air source (field for HPA or a few Co2 tanks), you'll obviously be fine. I have two 90's and I play out in the middle of nowhere. I need those tanks to last me at least a case of paint.

My original SP1 would freeze with Co2 in the winter if I uses 3rd burst or auto for longer than a few minutes of play at a time. Temps don't get that cold here (high 20's, low 30's in the coldest of winter in our area and still willing to play ball), so I was kinda bummed. Which is one of the reasons I switched to HPA. I knew that it had a safety mechanism, so it wasn't really a surprise, but I guess I was expecting more.

My previous marker was an A5, so I miss the off center feed system and low profile of the cyclone. I currently run a Tippmann SSL-200, which is an ok hopper for low profile. I like the look of the Rotor on it, but I'm not willing to plunk down $150 for a few BPS increase and lower profile for woodsball when we don't count gun hits in our games.

The side rails are glued on. I had to Gorilla Glue one of them back on because it started to come off one a corner. I rather had them screwed in.

Cleaning the front end of the breach is kind of a PitA. Those little slots get a couple of hits and I'll be scrubbing that area for some time unless I do a full tear down. I rather had it a solid piece, front to back.

Past that, I can't really think of anything else that bothers me. It's a light marker (compared to the milsim of my A5 setup I was previously running...your mileage may vary), the shell is super tough, it's extremely easy to maintain and easy to tear apart (on par with the A5, if not easier because it has less parts that can fall out), so I'd fully recommend it.

Unless you have a need to exceed 11bps or change modes beyond 3rd burst/auto or have a drive to "hyper-mile" your air efficiency, there isn't really any need to upgrade to the Blackheart and/or TechT bolt. The stock SP-1 was/is still a fantastic marker.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users