• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Corey23

Corey23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:00 AM

Paintball is broken down into two main groups; woodsball and speedball. I am going to cover speedball, which is typically used for tournaments and such. Speedball is a layout of inflatable bunkers inside of a netted area, and one team starts at each end of the field. Speedball is a fast paced game, and matches can be over as quickly as 30 seconds.

I personally am a huge speedball fan and player. I enjoy a woodsball game everynow and then, but speedball is much better in my opinion. This style is so much faster, and team based. Woodsball games can last up to an hour or longer, but speedball is over in only a few minutes.

PsP field layouts are the most common used for tournament play and local play.

PsP - PsP is the most used layout in tournaments and just local fields. Usually PsP fields will have a half x giant bunker in the middle of the field, to push players to the outsides of the field. PsP stands for Paintball Sports Promotions, and is the professional league of paintball.

Tips for when playing speedball

Money - Speedball is a very expensive way to play paintball. Usually the field charges a field fee, and then you have to buy paint (most of the time) because fields usually only allow field paint. In Speedball, you can already guess its a quick paced game, and you will shoot ALOT of paint in a short ammount of time. Players can go through a full hopper, and 5 pods in under 5 minutes, so bring enough money to buy field fee and paint, and if you want to keep playing, a little extra for more paint. Also, so you can purchase water or whatever if you didn't bring any.

Water - Water is very important when playing speedball. Your constantly moving, and working and you will eventually get tired. So bring a jug of water to the field with you, or money (see above) to buy some. A tired speedball player, is not a consistant player. My advice is a milk jug, fill it up half way with water, freeze it over night, and fill up the rest of it in the morning with water. Personally i bring two jugs of water, because i'll gulp down alot of water after a heated match.

Clothing - Wearing the right clothing is key when playing speedball, especially when playing competively. Your are going to get shot alot, and sometimes in the same area, so dress in atleast two layers. (undershirt and a jersey usually does the trick) Paintball pants are also need, because they are thick, and padded pretty nicely. Slider shorts are needed if you are going to be diveing, and slideing, and such.

Shoes - Invest in a nice pair of cleets to play in. You are going to be running, and slidding, and diveing and you need cleets. Sometimes you will play on a fake truf that has little to no grip, or on dirt. You never know, cleets are a HUGE investment if your going to play speedball.

Padding - Elbow and knee pads are very VERY nice to have. Especially knee pads, because your knees will get abused while playing speedball, and the extra padding helps with the constant shots in the arms and legs. Also without the correct padding, if you go and superman dive, your going to cut up your elbows and such. Please buy a pair of elbow and knee pads, and try and get paintball ones because they of course will work better. I have done a superman dive without elbow pads and knee pads, and my right knee got completely tore up, so invest in some.

Rag and squeegee - Bring a rag with you in your gear bag, because your gun is going to get shot, or your hopper or your tank, or even your mask. And you need to wipe that paint off after the game, so your not mistakingly called out by a ref the next game. And the squeegee because if you break a ball while your playing, pull that out, use it, and your good to go.

Food - If your playing on a empty stomache, your head isnt 100% into the game. So bring some snacks in your gear bag, and munch on them whenever.

Your Equipment - Before you even leave your house, check your bag. Make sure you have everything you will need. Your gun, barrel(s), hopper(s), money, rag, pads, etc etc. It sucks pretty bad to get to the field, and realize you forgot your HPA tank at your house. So, just make sure you have everything.

Condition and workout - Speedball, is like i said before, a fast paced game. You need to be physically prepared for it. So a few times a week, go jogging or power walk. Cardio is a huge part of speedball. Also a few times a week, lift weights but not too much. Don't go hulk hogan and pull something and then guess what, no paintball for you. Me personally, i lift weights mon wed and fri, and go jogging tues and thurs. Just whatever is better for you.

Eat right!!! - If your going to play on a team, in tournaments do your team a favor. Eat and drink right. kick the sodes and sugars, and eat some greens and fruits! You'll feel better about yourself, your team will feel better about you, and you'll be better in the tournament or practice.

Tool kit - Make sure you have a toolset with you, allen wrenches are the most important tools to have in paintball.

Know the layout of the field - This is important, because if you know the layout of the field, you can begin to plan where to go, if you'll get hit, etc etc. Knowing how the field is set up, is a big advantage.

Slideing and diveing
- Do not ever double knee slide, you will screw your knees up, and you have no quick way of getting to your feet. Always slide on your hips. When you superman dive, palms up, and let your chest hit first followed by your legs. KEEP YOUR GUN FROM HITTING THE GROUND!

Speedball lingo

Snap Shooting - Snap shooting, is when you are behind a bunker, and you pop out for just a few seconds, shooting a few balls, and them poping back behind it. If your in a fire fight with someone, this is what will happen, unless their bunkering you or vice versa lol. I recommend when snap shooting, come out at different levels. Come out high, then come out low, then low again. Mix it up, so your enemy can't predict your movements. My best advice for snap shooting, is when you pop out to shoot, shoot a MAX of 6 balls.

Laning - Laning is used for the breakout of a game. When the break out happens, if your shooting in between two bunkers on the other side of the field (in the lane) this is laning. The point of this, is to try and get a enemy team player out, while their running to their bunker.

Posting - Is when you are at a bunker, and you are posted up there, in a confortable postion and holding down a specific area. You know someone is at a bunker, but your not shooting at them, your making it seem like you don't know they're there, and when they pop out, you have your shot.

Sweet spotting - Pretty much is close to laning, but a little different. Sweet spotting is when you are behind your bunker, putting 3 shots into a lane or right beside a bunker, and you know their gonna move there, so you keep a stream of paint on that area.

This next section is if your trying to get on a team, already on a team, or going to play in tournaments.

Practice practice practice! - Practice makes perfect. The more you practice, the better you will get. But DO NOT go out onto the field, and just half ass it, because then you won't get any better. Play every practice match, likes it's a tournament match, and your game will improve. Run drills at your house, they will help you out as well. I suggest you practice atleast once a week with your team (if your on a team) or with a team(if your a free agent)

Take care of your gun - You get to a tournament, you pull your gun out, fill it up with a pod to test it out and such, and you find out that your board is fried, or the internals of your gun are broke. Whatever the case, take care of your guns! Clean your guns after every practice, inside and out. Lube your guns up atleast once a week. Take care of your guns, and they'll return the favor in a tournament round.

Watch videos - Watch videos of pro teams, or teams around your area that play. Watch how they play, and if you see something their doing right, try it out next time at the field. If your going to a tourny, watch videos (if possiable) of the other teams attending it as well. Learn their moves, and weeknesses.

Keep up with paintball - Stay up to date with new paintball happenings, and releases and such. Be a frequent visitor of this website, or pro-paintball or whatever.

A job and ride - If your playing on a team, or trying to get on a team and you don't have a job....get a fucking job! If you can't pay your own way into a tourney then you shouldn't be playing on a team. You need to have a steady income, because speedball tournaments can get very expensive. Also, if you don't drive, or not old enough or whatever, make sure you have a reliable way to get to and from practice and to the tourneys if your team isnt team driveing. And if you are getting a ride from someone, be nice enough to give some gas money, because gas is way too high right now.

If your going to a tourney, know the field! - 99% of the time, a tourney will release the layout of the field that will be used weeks prior to the tournament. Know the field! Know where every bunker is set up, and the various lanes that will be available. Discuss with your team on different tactics that can be used on this field.

Communication - Communication is the most important apsect of speedball. Speedball is a team game, and you must be able to communicate with your team, because if you don't, you will lose round after round. A team that communcations, has an advantage over other teams that don't.

The number one rule of speedball, is to have fun! I know it sounds corny, but if your not having fun, why play the game? Your not going to win them all, so just go out there, play your ass off, and have fun.

I recommend you go watch mikes videos on youtube about speedball tips and such. They'll help alot.

Some links to purchase gear that i personally use

-Paintball-Online (discount site)
-Paintball Discounters
-Action Village
-Zephyr Paintball

Have any questions, send me a message on here. I hope this helps you new players looking to get into speedball.

Edited by Corey23, 27 July 2009 - 10:48 PM.

#2 P51

P51

..you want mirrion dorrar?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,237 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:32 AM

*sniffs* You carry the scent of a sticky.

Success is my only mothafuckin' option, failure's not
P51's Feedback

#3 eGoThat

eGoThat

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 11:57 AM

^ Agree

My Setup: Dangerous Power G3, Empire Prophecy, Ninja 50/45, 08 Empire Gloves, Dye C7 Pants/Jersey, Dye Beanie ;)

Newest
Posted Image
^^ I Make Sigs, Message Me If You Want One^^

#4 nickeftink

nickeftink

shocker-invert too-and steelie! beat that lol!

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:00 PM

somebody sticky it. he spent alot of time on it!
-my feedback! -HEY! SIMMER DOWN!
-GO TAKE A LAP!

#5 Lucas

Lucas

Elite Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:08 PM

It needs a little bit more. Explain why you agree with one argument, and address "misconseptions" or " false beliefs"
And links would defiantly help your topics :tup:

#6 Sn4zzle

Sn4zzle

Official Redneck of TechPB!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 01:43 PM

*BAWLS EYES OUT CRYING* that was amazing, I am getting into speedball in 2010 so thanks.

7:19 PM [Blue fellow] I drink lubricant to keep my asshole voice away.

Proudly sponsored by Zephyr Paintball, check them out at ZephyrPaintball.com

#7 Aubz

Aubz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 05:41 PM

Thanks. Good info!

#8 Ced

Ced

Honorary Canadian

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 07:20 PM

It needs a little bit more. Explain why you agree with one argument, and address "misconseptions" or " false beliefs"
And links would defiantly help your topics :tup:

Take this into consideration and it is a sticky.

rogersig.png
"stfu dont jinx me ima cut you bitch" - CrazyLittle
"250+lb. men don't 'come out of nowhere'." - PrometheanFlame
"Feel free to think of me as a female anytime you want." - Rawrsome
"Ignoring a few choice posts. *rolleyes* " - Miss_Hell

#9 Corey23

Corey23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 10:22 PM

*UPDATED*

#10 bouncingtomb

bouncingtomb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 10:44 PM

I can attest to the never knee slide part. I used to double knee slide in baseball A LOT when I'd be playing the field. Now my knee's have problems and I'm only 17. Don't knee slide!

#11 brandon69

brandon69

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 12:59 PM

One thing i cant stress enough that i learned almost right away learn to walk the trigger and shoot with both hands because you can make less of your self stick out of your bunker which means harder target to hit
RAILS F/S/T
If ur under 18 and pay for ur own gear put this in ur sig.
80% of teens listen to Hip-Hop, if you're part of the 20% that stuck to METAL and rock, put this in your sig!!!

#12 NHballer90

NHballer90

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 07:32 PM

why not double knee slide its easyer to do because you can shoot while you are sliding. abously you dont want to do it when ur on a bumpy field with rocks. but i do it on thick grassy fields and turf and i also play hockey goalie which is demanding on the knees and i havent had a problem yet. pro's as well do it all the time just watch a game

#13 M01R

M01R

It's using the trees!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 02:21 AM

why not double knee slide its easyer to do because you can shoot while you are sliding. abously you dont want to do it when ur on a bumpy field with rocks. but i do it on thick grassy fields and turf and i also play hockey goalie which is demanding on the knees and i havent had a problem yet. pro's as well do it all the time just watch a game

Keyword: Yet. If you're constantly bashing your knees up (going into the butterfly as a goalie) you will probably have knee problems in the future.

You gotta be careful. Don't just go in there with hopes you'll be done in a few seconds, take time, make designs, put your name in it. Whatever. It gets the job done, and you feel good after, knowing nobodycan steal your junk, because your name is engraved in your manhair.

Sickest Gearbag Sale on TechPB! Check it out!

#14 NHballer90

NHballer90

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 11:11 AM

yeah well i dont use the slide much i was just saying its a useful slide to do. i think its better then the baseball slide. the double knee slide works really good in azteks as wells as Doritos because you dont need to pop up from ur slide. if you need to pop up use the baseball slide. but eather way your pants have knee pads so its all good and i will probally have some knee problems in the future but i will probally not be playing sports then.

#15 strikeskilla

strikeskilla

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:17 PM

You spent so much time on that! Dude you rock :)
IF YOUR UNDER 18 AND PAY FOR YOUR OWN STUFF PUT THIS IN YOUR SIGNATURE

#16 BEASTY

BEASTY

Uber Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,394 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 12:32 PM

Nice thread, I personally dont play speedball because of the waste of paint.

If i could afford it i would.

What you NEED to do is mark your territory, Pee on/in the WHOLE school. I mean EVERYWHERE just SOAK IT.

↔↔ Beasty Barrel Socks ↔↔ 46/0/0↔↔

#17 PBdan47

PBdan47

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 01:08 PM

great post... but yea like someone else said deffinately leanr to switch hands as welll as shoot with bolth hands using bolth fingers(walking the trigger on semi auto which most speedball feilds only allow) :excl:
~What ever doesnt kill u only makes u stronger..... dont count the days make the days count..........Jersey `authority fan......xsv fan......and favorite player Rich Telford~

If techpb.com is your home page copy and past this part and put it in your sig~!!~

#18 killer pacakez

killer pacakez

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 02:59 PM

that helped me soooo much!
CANADA FTW! eh?

#19 dangerouspowerballa

dangerouspowerballa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 03:33 PM

Good info
IF YOUR UNDER 18 AND PAY FOR YOUR OWN STUFF PUT THIS IN YOUR SIGNATURE

Posted Image credit to liza1991 for the sig

#20 J. Nez

J. Nez

Now with 2x the Vitamin C

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:17 PM

I almost cried... this person actually took the time to write all this up... you deserve like a high five or something... nice job!

#21 Gauss

Gauss

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:49 AM

HElpful

#22 Kuya-A

Kuya-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:58 PM

nice :D very helpful
Posted Image

#23 NuQQ

NuQQ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 02:43 PM

Very nice infos man, thx.

My Setup: Midnight GEO2 - Pinokio Hopper - 68/45 Crossfire Tank

#24 Groundfire

Groundfire

Resident Crazy Croat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 02:52 PM

I must say, I'm impressed. This is very helpful thread for any new player getting into speedball.
You spent a lot of time on this and you covered pretty much all angles possible. Nice job man.

And also I love this:

If your playing on a team, or trying to get on a team and you don't have a job....get a fucking job!

You da man!

#25 !Adam!

!Adam!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 09:19 AM

prettyy damn good =]

#26 Akshay

Akshay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 11:40 PM

Bomb guide man. It was almost everything I wanted. I usually play woodsball with my friends but I find it a bit slow. I really wanna try speedball and when I get better, join a team. I'm getting a job soon so I hope it will happen. Hopefully, my friends will follow. =D

Again, Awesome guide.

#27 XxprotoxX

XxprotoxX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 08:21 PM

Posted Image w8 it is a stickyPosted Image

#28 Flatz Flounda

Flatz Flounda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 05:52 PM

thanks helped allot with the transition from woodsballPosted Image

Posted Image
Cockerpunk wins!
infinty legend
halo B v35
new england baller

#29 Flatz Flounda

Flatz Flounda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 05:55 PM

nice post!
Posted Image
Cockerpunk wins!
infinty legend
halo B v35
new england baller

#30 jacobbrownlee

jacobbrownlee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:49 PM

great post man ! helps alot.
invert mini, dye i4's, rotor, crossfire 68/4500.

#31 bmoney83

bmoney83

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 11:31 AM

good post bro
You will learn more on the days you lose, then on the days you Win!!!

Dangerous Power Owners ClubPosted Image

#32 209pballer

209pballer

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:50 AM

Good job this is really a good explanation so people who dont kno speedball can understand it alot better
Monsterballs were created as a self-defense projectile, but were accidentally labelled as paintballs when they came out of production, since this mistake 5 recorded deaths have been related to people getting shot by monsterballs :)

[Govinda] im like that unstable fuck that rocks back and forth in his i love myself jacket

#33 Invert522

Invert522

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 11:53 AM

Good advice

#34 Konner96

Konner96

The Canadian American Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 01:02 AM

Thanks for the info now all i have to do is to learn to walk the trigger well and get a steady job

on the freind speach

well, i'd say it's pretty much more like a woman verbally ripping off your balls...
yeah it sucks that much

#35 K-reg

K-reg

Necroposter :D

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 11:54 PM

is it just me or did the sliding adivce video link disappear?

man if i had a whole team rocking that gear we'd have so much agg power we'd make the airball bunkers explode

- Kevin

#36 mikesbass

mikesbass

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:53 AM

wat the hell is a sticky?

#37 paintballer313

paintballer313

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 03:19 PM

wat the hell is a sticky?

a sticky is when a mod makes the thread permanently on the front page of teh topics. like since this thread has LOTS of good information, a mod can "sticky" it to make it permanent

#38 Vicarious1289

Vicarious1289

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:15 PM

I wrestled for 2 years in high school, the first year i did not have any knee pads, after an intense practice one night, i couldn't walk the next morning because my knees were so banged up. an all of this was done on padded wrestling mats. The moral of the story is, buy pads, and avoid banging your knees up as much as possible, They're the only one's you get!
People don't think it be like it is, but it do.

#39 nizzle

nizzle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:39 PM

and people wonder why this site is amazing....

#40 DirtyShisno17

DirtyShisno17

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 02:56 AM

Switching hands is definatly a key factor to success along with leaning the gun just a bit so the bolt lines up with your nose. Hides the hopper behind the bunker and also lets you look down the barrel easier for aiming.
you've just been sarged!

#41 WiscoBaller

WiscoBaller

Master Member

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:11 PM

i think you meant airball in this, because speedball can be played on a solid field, not just an air bunker field

University of Wisconsin Whitewater Paintball Club
Sponsored by KEE, H2 Paintball, Empire
The Hooligans Paintball Team
Bob Long Victory Ripper Dye Rotor Dye Throttle 70/4500
Bob Long Ripper FST

#42 Ninjas Of Paintball

Ninjas Of Paintball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 01:29 AM

ReAD this, some of the most important info ill ever take out of the form.

#43 arp3

arp3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 10:52 PM

Hey guys.
So, I've played paint ball before (woodsball, attack and defend, and other stuff) but I've never played airball until this weekend. I've never played airball because I knew that it would waste a ton of paint. I did waste a ton of paint, but I pretty much owned everyone else on the field to the point where they had to have me be on my own team (versus 6-8 other people). I loved it and I'm going to buy equipment. I watch mike's videos on youtube and learn a lot from him, so I'm pretty familiar with the sport.
So, my questions are: Is it ok to buy wholesale paintballs? ($30 for 2000!) http://www.paintball...-paintballs.htm
What kind of gun should I buy? under $200 please. (ebay is ok, craigslist is better).
PS, I am in the santa cruz/san jose, CA area. Is anyone else from here? I usually go to Santa Clara Paintball, but its kind of a long drive.

#44 dragonfire9

dragonfire9

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:03 PM

thanks this helped a lot

#45 SeriousPaintball

SeriousPaintball

NC Ballers Club

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 11:46 AM

When playing speedball for beginners make sure you move fast watch both sides of the bunkers ur at and don't stay open for too long. Make sure you communicate with your team mates and know where the opposing team members are.

#46 acegreen11mrchamp

acegreen11mrchamp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 05:01 PM

exacty the same sich as nhballer i iplay hockey goilie and i knee slide indoors with sawduston the floor at my field

Edited by acegreen11mrchamp, 31 December 2010 - 05:02 PM.

Posted Image

if ur under 18 and use ur money 2 buy all
If you are ADDICTITED to paintball put this as your sig ur gear put this as rour sig

#47 AXEowner

AXEowner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:10 PM

Thanks this helped out a lot!

#48 Draeving

Draeving

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 04:00 PM

Communication, communication, communication.

If you don't know where the opponents are, you won't be able to shoot them.
Posted Image

#49 gargoyle

gargoyle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 03:04 PM

dont baseball slide either

#50 Acogg97

Acogg97

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:13 PM

wow..... i thought i knew every thing that was needed, but i could never put it into words like you did. i'm showing my friends this!
Paintboarder1 on youtube.com

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users