• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Sellingbrokenion

Sellingbrokenion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 03:10 AM

For anyone who has seen 1000 ways to die, they show the most feared danger in paintball the tank head coming off and launching like a rocket. While I am happy this is a real concern, and two confirmed deaths from this have happened, I can find no information on this story. I do think many paintballers as well as general public would be happy to see the kids in this tale get there come up ins, but its a still a false tale that I feel missed an opportunity for real education on how both the cases actually had the tank head separate. BTW I realize they are all false tales, or wildly exaggerated. Also I think the actual incidents happened in paintball, settings maybe actually putting it in one would of been better. I know most of paintball community is sick of being cast as vandals, and simple minded oafs.

http://www.spike.com/video/sneak-peek-pained/3128462

#2 warrior70hhs

warrior70hhs

Not so young and stupid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 04:39 AM

From the way the show betrays each scenario, I think these are actual events that are in some way reenacted. If that's the case, Karma is a bitch!!!

#3 slmch80

slmch80

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:41 PM

this actually hapend

#4 matthew johnson

matthew johnson

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:37 PM

y would the tank shoot of the gun
Minnesota Baller 4 life
grinding to the beats of miley cyrus. my life is bro

#5 Al Sharpton

Al Sharpton

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 06:08 PM

But this kinda stuff is killing paintball...

how????

Even if this isnt a 100% true story, this kind of thing is a real danger. No matter what, i dont believe paintball is 'dying', but if it was, this is not a factor.
If you hate the people that act like Obama's presidency is the second coming of Christ copy this into your sig!!!
STOP PUTTING BULLSHIT FIGURES IN YOUR SIGS!!!!! (98% of people think it's dumb)

#6 Barrett

Barrett

Since '93

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 06:08 PM

I saw that episode, and I think that they one kid was unscrewing the CO2 tank from the gun, and the regular stuck in the gun, and he unscrewed the tank from the regulator, causing the tank itself to shoot towards the other kid. And I think all events in that show are based off a true story. Based, not the actual events.
Posted Image

#7 Tor

Tor

The Clothes Make The Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,048 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 06:14 PM

The paintball expert has an expert gun.

Posted Image
Proud American
"I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you." -Genghis Khan

#8 Plattypus

Plattypus

You are FAT. First After Ten. - Ced.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,570 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 06:25 PM

The guy said that the threads were worn out and thats how the tank flew off. I call bullshit, its seems very unlikely.

If you get shot in the jaw you remember you are playing paintball, man the fuck up and say thank you sir, may I have another. - Cdn

Southern California Ballers Club - Grazi #69 - Brotastic Bro Club of Win V.1
My Feedback +3/0/0
Posted Image

#9 iktpq14

iktpq14

Mr. DEEZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 06:30 PM

not even possible unless u dived right on it like the guy in the youtube vid but u hav to hit it pretty hardand if the threads were worn u wouldnt even really be able to put the tank on
Posted Image
BSTfeedback positive +2/ negative +0
updIronmenDM6

#10 TaintedEvil

TaintedEvil

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 06:40 PM

The paintball expert has an expert gun.

lmao, you got that right.

Crossfire 68/4500 F/S/T | My Moderator Application
QUOTE (PrometheanFlame @ Aug 28 2009, 12:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Die, spam-thread! Die! Cut off the head and burn it, or it will rise from its grave on the next full moon!

#11 P51

P51

..you want mirrion dorrar?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,237 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 09:50 PM

This

Success is my only mothafuckin' option, failure's not
P51's Feedback

#12 Sigma Sparda

Sigma Sparda

Proudly sponsored by ANSGear.

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,123 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 10:17 PM

By no means is this a "bullshit" possibility.. The tank coming off from the regulator threads is a true story. 2 people have actually died from it. A mother and a teen boy. So by no means is this wildly exaggerated, but between the hundreds of thousands that play each year, for the past 20 years and beyond, for only 2 cases, it is highly uncommon. The famous video of the tank flying free of the ASA during a tournament is one thing. The guy took a hit to the ankle, and I have no doubt that it shattered bones. Now, take that force and apply it to someone's head, and you get this.
Posted Image
Rowan Platoon Frontman. Check Us Out.

(TechPB-Mike @ Jul 28 2009, 08:13 PM)
When I score first post in ANYTHING, I drive to the closest walmart, kick the doors in, and yell "I got first post mother fuckers!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

#13 acidblasta

acidblasta

That's evil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 05:24 AM

I don't think that the tank seperating from the gun is the issue it's the fact that they didn't use one of the real scenarios and made the two in the show stupid vandals I think that's what most are up in arms about.
Here is my feedback for BST BST feedback
Matt Hackney Co-Captain
Team: Whatzup
Field: Whatzup Family Fun Park Seven points TX
If your are part of a north or east Texas team fell free to PM me for a joint practice or scrimmage.

#14 Sean Webster

Sean Webster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 06:20 AM

I like how the old lady beats him with the purse at the end!
-Dust Black 09 Proto SLG UL - Dust Black Custom Products Classic .685 14" - Dust Black Custom Products On/Off ASA - Black Dye Collar Lever Feed Neck - Black Pinokio Hopper - Ninja 48/3000 HPA Tank

Ninja Tank/Reg Club

#15 BEASTY

BEASTY

Uber Member

• Members
  • 14,394 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 01:40 PM

WOW..... What a bunch of bullshit.... Im not saying this couldnt happen.. But this kinda stuff is killing paintball...

This could actually happen.

This is not a bunch of bullshit. maybe you should stop complaining about what real and not real and focus on being positive and making shure you dont misuse you;re gun and something like this happens

What you NEED to do is mark your territory, Pee on/in the WHOLE school. I mean EVERYWHERE just SOAK IT.

↔↔ Beasty Barrel Socks ↔↔ 46/0/0↔↔

#16 bigshow4u

bigshow4u

I have a Short temper so DONT F&$% WITH ME!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 04:17 AM

I call bull shit!

#17 pbvids1

pbvids1

youtube's for losers... oh wait youtube.com/pbvids1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 09:49 PM

only if you're dumb
youtube pbvids1
^pure badass

#18 TK-421

TK-421

Me So Horny! :D

• 25,917 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 09:19 PM

By no means is this a "bullshit" possibility.. The tank coming off from the regulator threads is a true story. 2 people have actually died from it. A mother and a teen boy. So by no means is this wildly exaggerated, but between the hundreds of thousands that play each year, for the past 20 years and beyond, for only 2 cases, it is highly uncommon. The famous video of the tank flying free of the ASA during a tournament is one thing. The guy took a hit to the ankle, and I have no doubt that it shattered bones. Now, take that force and apply it to someone's head, and you get this.

I find it interesting how in the TV show, and in the news story, everybody who died was hit with a CO2 cylinder, so that means all of us who use HPA shouldn't be too worried about our tanks coming off, right?

#19 Tmaned

Tmaned

I inspired Prome's member title!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,659 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 09:31 PM

http://www.spike.com.../3128462[/post]

This is why I believe in karma.

"Experience is a nice way to say you've had your ass handed to you in a very unpleasant way and you learned something from it." Rob Rubin
"I'm certified to administer first-aid massages in the event of female breast trauma. I have a card and everything."- Prometheanflame
"You can wish in one hand and shit in the other, and see which one fills up first. The numbers come back, and it sure as hell ain't the lucky one, son."

#20 Christopher

Christopher

Ignore Me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 09:49 PM

WOW..... What a bunch of bullshit.... Im not saying this couldnt happen.. But this kinda stuff is killing paintball...

This could actually happen.

This is not a bunch of bullshit. maybe you should stop complaining about what real and not real and focus on being positive and making shure you dont misuse you;re gun and something like this happens

This is a bunch of bullshit. It cannot happen like the way it was portrayed in this clip. You would need to do something seriously fucked up for the pin valve to literally blow out the threads. The two times people were killed by CO2 tanks, the valve came UNSCREWED from the ASA. It did not randomly explode off of the tank.

I find it interesting how in the TV show, and in the news story,everybody who died was hit with a CO2 cylinder, so that means all of uswho use HPA shouldn't be too worried about our tanks coming off, right?

If you unscrew the regulator of a HPA tank while it's pressurized, your even more screwed than if you did it with a CO2 tank. The two times that it happened with CO2 were because they installed an anti-siphon in the tank but did not torque the valve back on. When they went to unscrew the tank from their guns, the valve locked into the ASA, and they began unscrewing the cylinder from the valve, rather than the valve from the ASA. If the pin valve/regulator is properly installed, you are very, very safe either way.

#21 Pearlsea

Pearlsea

wut wut wut

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 10:00 PM

Is there a proper procedure you need to follow when you unscrew a tank from an ASA or this is just accidents due to poorly installed valves?
Posted Image
[02:08:06] <@Kitty> hey pearl
[02:08:11] <@Kitty> YAY for another girl in the chatroom
[02:08:26] * Pearl /wrists

#22 Christopher

Christopher

Ignore Me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 10:20 PM

Is there a proper procedure you need to follow when you unscrew a tank from an ASA or this is just accidents due to poorly installed valves?

It's just poorly installed valves combined with loctite clogging the safety vents. From the factory the manufacturers loctite the hell out of the pin valves so that the relief holes are sealed up and useless. I have a valve like this that I pulled off of an old CO2 tank that I keep to show to people that it does indeed happen.

#23 McQuag

McQuag

bɐʁʇ ᘃөqI

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 10:27 PM

I rented a gun package at Splat Tag while my gun was out. I decided to switch to my DXS tank. When I started unscrewing the PE tank, it started to separate. That was quite scary, If some poor kid didn't know about tank separation, they could quite possibly kill themselves.
-McQuag

#24 Christopher

Christopher

Ignore Me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:56 PM

I rented a gun package at Splat Tag while my gun was out. I decided to switch to my DXS tank. When I started unscrewing the PE tank, it started to separate. That was quite scary, If some poor kid didn't know about tank separation, they could quite possibly kill themselves.
-McQuag

If the saftey vents are not clogged it's pretty much a non issue. They might shit their pants, but that's about it. If the vents are clogged, then yes, they would be SOL.

#25 PredatorPaintball

PredatorPaintball

Whatchu know bout 600 subscribers!? ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 06:08 AM

ive heard many different scenarios

#26 p8ntballkiller

p8ntballkiller

Photoshopper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 06:30 AM

i think this is what they mean

Posted Image

Need Photoshop Work?? Click Here Ill be glad to do anything!

#27 Christopher

Christopher

Ignore Me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 10:39 AM

i think this is what they mean http://www.youtube.c...h?v=vRcbblRqUPA

Breaking the ASA off off your gin isn't going to do anything even close too that. The regulator simply can't recharge fast enough to propel the tank like that. Chances are that he actually broke the bonnet off of the regulator.

#28 p8ntballkiller

p8ntballkiller

Photoshopper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 07:11 AM

well thats just what the movie is i think that to or maby his reg was loose and shot off

Posted Image

Need Photoshop Work?? Click Here Ill be glad to do anything!

#29 Christopher

Christopher

Ignore Me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 07:23 AM

well thats just what the movie is i think that to or maby his reg was loose and shot off

There is no regulator on a CO2 tank. There is just a solid pin valve, and he wasn't even unscrewing his tank. It just randomly exploded off the end of the ASA. If he had been unscrewing the tank, then I could easily see it happening, but not at all the way it was portrayed. This story is completley fabricated.

#30 EquinoX

EquinoX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 11:36 AM

backwards hopper ftw?

also was that a semi-auto pump or is it just me
Posted Image

#31 cptcomisi94

cptcomisi94

US ARMY BALLA

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:35 PM

who the hell sold them the guns
Posted Image
if the 1st thing youd grab in a fire is ur paintball gear put this in your sig

bugdet baller!!

#32 paintballer4life360

paintballer4life360

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:53 PM

i thought that was going to happen to me when i used co2, i was unscrewing my tank but it was so tight i couldnt and it started to loosen the like reg thingy :P and i was so friggin scared that it was going to fly off i just barrel got it out but the threads and o-ring where like dimolished...so u cant take off the reg on co2 or they will kill you or wut??XD
Empire Axe---Dye Rotor---45/45 Fuel energy tank
Canadian baller club, The morning woods, Bunker Baller club

If your 16 and buy your own gear put this in your sig

#33 Sellingbrokenion

Sellingbrokenion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 04:14 AM

Really, regs on Co2? really? Does someone have to explain the difference between Co2 and compressed air to people? They are comparing a apples and oranges they are both food but are completely different. At most a Co2 tank has on it is an anti siphon. This death could happen similar incidents have happened, but not on joy riding teens. I feel the negative part of this is that it reinforces the idea that all paintballers do is go joy riding and shoot little old ladies. Paintball already doesn't get the benefit of a doubt. Communities will ban paintball for a painted sign but won't ban base ball for little kids dieing from a pitch to the chest during a game that stops their heart. They will protest and petition for paintballs left on the street, but not for broken car windows and car accidents caused by stray golf balls. It is horrible that paintballers are lumped in to vandals and criminals. No sport/hobby has gotten so much negative press and stories just attached on to paint a picture of a dangerous sub culture, that so very few are a part of.

#34 Mingink

Mingink

Wanna know how I got these scars?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 05:08 PM

If there is anything that the Final Destination films have taught us it's that anything EVEN paintball, can lead to death, but then again so can; watching a 3d movie, sitting in a café, walking out of a heair salon, going for a swim and going through a car wash. (all of those are from the new movie which i highly recommend.
Posted Image
RIP Paul Gray, a fantastic musician that will be missed

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users