• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MrSpit

MrSpit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 11:08 PM

So i have a silver vice, and it comes with a Black feedneck, eye covers, Reg and asa. Now im going to replace the asa with a silver/Chrome one, but i would really like to have the reg and feedneck silver in color as well. Now the place i work at, has a variety of chemicals used for stripping paint, but im worried that A) the finish underneath wont be as nice as the milling of the gun, and B) it may void the warranty of my reg. Now i know i could just replace these parts, but i really like the stock hardware, and i dont want to have an extra of each kicking around.

Anyway, has anyone ever stripped paint from stock parts???
Anything i should know before i start???

Thanks all
<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->PROUD NEW OWNER OF A SILVER VICE <!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->I consider the day a <u>total loss</u> unless I have convinced a first time player to come back next weekend.
<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
<!--fonto:Impact--><span style="font-family:Impact"><!--/fonto--><u><!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->WARNING<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></u><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->: <!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->The length and content of this post may best be described as <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->RIDICULOUS<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->, and may cause Hysteria, Bleeding of the Eye, and in rare cases, DEATH. <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro--><u><b>Read at your own Risk!</b></u> <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

#2 Peety

Peety

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:41 AM

The color on your marker isnt paint. Its a process called anodizing which binds the color molecules to the marker's metal.

You CAN polish the anno off, but with that exposed metal, it becomes exposed to rust and scratching.
My sig was edited / removed because it was not within the rules. Images used in signatures are to be less then Width of 600px, and height of 160px. Only ONE image is aloud in the signature, and it must be 30k or less. Only 5 lines of text are aloud. No text larger then size 2 is aloud in the signature.

My image was way over the size limit of 30k

#3 Stevepelle91

Stevepelle91

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 04:35 PM

Yes, as Peety has stated, your marker isn't painted but rather anodized. To strip off the anodic layer you will be the proper chemicals, which consist of Sodium Hydroxide & a Sulfuric/Ferric acid mix which can be bought from caswellplating.com. Without experience, you are likely to overstrip which can ruin the tolerances of the marker &/or cause pitting. Although BLAST has one, if not the best, customer support in the industry it will more than likely void the warranty if anything went wrong. Also, the parts have an anodized coating not just for cosmetic looks but for durability as well. Raw aluminum is easily scratched by even the softest materials, such as your fingernails. It also will become dull after a bit of use and will need to be re-polished.

Your best bet, is to have a professional strip it for you and re-anodize it with no dyes. That will be the safest way to get the silver your looking for.
I Do Custom Anodizing & Polishing, PM Me.

#4 MrSpit

MrSpit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:15 PM

Ya, you guys are right. i was worried about how it would look when i was fished, so if its gonna dull out, whats the point!? I guess im stuck buying new and sell the old!?
<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->PROUD NEW OWNER OF A SILVER VICE <!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->I consider the day a <u>total loss</u> unless I have convinced a first time player to come back next weekend.
<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
<!--fonto:Impact--><span style="font-family:Impact"><!--/fonto--><u><!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->WARNING<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></u><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->: <!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->The length and content of this post may best be described as <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->RIDICULOUS<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->, and may cause Hysteria, Bleeding of the Eye, and in rare cases, DEATH. <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro--><u><b>Read at your own Risk!</b></u> <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

#5 dagoober

dagoober

i can haz paintballz?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 01:10 AM

or you can send it out to get a new anno. i know some guys who had it done to theyre guns and it liooks sweet.

yay i got my sig slayed sig LOL!

#6 PbGoods

PbGoods

PbGoods.com Owner

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,193 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 03:06 PM

You can always get it anodized, PB4L Industries does a good job, their link is located in my signature.

Or you can try to swap the parts with someone, which may be a better route to go if you find someone willing to swap.

#7 oerllikon

oerllikon

Sober people R jerks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 05:05 PM

You shouldnt need to worry about rust, aluminum doesnt rust. That is probably what your bob long is mostly made out of
My new signature is better than ever

#8 Will

Will

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 01:56 PM

The color on your marker isnt paint. Its a process called anodizing which binds the color molecules to the marker's metal.

You CAN polish the anno off, but with that exposed metal, it becomes exposed to rust and scratching.

Aluminium is special - The oxide is not like rust, it is aluminium coloured (silver), and once a layer of oxide has built up it will protect the aluminium behind from oxygen and halt any further oxidisation.

As for sratches, I don't know. Any scratch will probably be obvious and you'll have to keep polishing it unless you put a clear coat on it.

Im going to grind down my marker to have it ready for car-painting, so ill take a pic of it when it's all silver
UltraLite PM6
DPC - Dubai Paintball Club
ENPL - Emirates National Paintball League

"Does this cloth smell of Chloroform to you?"

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users