52 replies to this topic

#1 Tribs

Tribs

Applejack forevaaaaa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 11:46 PM

This is in response to a few of the threads about pumping in woodsball fields.

Alright, so you want to play pump, but most of where you play is in the woods. I know what you're thinking, "Won't the branches and underbrush get in the way of any shots I take, while the semi's I'm playing against will be able to cut through and hit me?" Well, yes, that's true, but only if you play like you have a semi. Unless you started your paintball career with a pump, you'll play woodsball with a pump as if you are having a semi. That's something you can't do, and will end in you getting slaughtered. I'm here to make sure that doesn't happen.

First things first, know how to use your pump. It doesn't matter how good of a player you are, if you don't know the limits and strengths of your gun, then you won't be able to play to your potential. Practice practice practice. You should spend a large amount of time practicing with your gun. Learn how to shoot in multiple positions, like crouching or lying prone. Learn how to shoot equally well with both hands. Snapshooting is something you need to master. You won't have a chance to have a followup shot on someone if they remain out of their bunker while you're shooting at them, you have to hit them on the first shot and duck back into your bunker, or you'll get lit up. Those things aren't just for the airball field, they are equally effective on the woodsball field.

Camouflage and stealth will be your best friend. You don't have the luxury of a fast shooting marker to get you out of whatever shit you wind up in, so you'll want any encounter to be on your terms. Just because you see someone walking out of cover doesn't mean you should shoot them. Pay attention and use your thinker. Could they be the point man for a much larger squad of players behind him, trying to draw an ambush out, or could it just be a random player. More then likely, it's the former. Weigh the risks and beneifts of taking the first shot. If there's a risk it could draw attention to you from more then the person you're shooting, and you don't have the resources of a faster shooting marker or teammates, then more then likely you shouldn't take the risk. If you're on your way up the field and a squad of players enter your sight, go low and don't move until they go past. No point in getting involved in a firefight you can't win. Who knows, if the group is small enough, you can fall in behind them and take them out in a couple seconds without them firing a single shot.

More then likely, you have the lightest setup of your entire group. USE THAT! Be the guy who takes the flank on the opposing force. Trail the sides or tail of your group, and the instant they start in a firefight with an opposite squad, run your ass off to the sides and try to get an angle on the other team. Use the distraction that the larger amount of firepower your teammates are dishing out to move to the sides or back of the enemy. If the other team isn't too experienced, they probably got tunnel-vision the instant the balls started flying. A single player at their peripheral won't draw attention, and the occasional shot from that player will go unnoticed. I can't mention the amount of times that I've been completely ignored in situations like that, until it was too late.

My favorite benefit of playing pump, along with the lightness of the gear, is the smallness of the gear. You don't have a massive hopper sticking out of your gun begging to be shot, or pods that stick out of your back. That means you can hide behind things that normally would have equipment sticking out of. That stump that looked small for a toddler now offers quite a bit of protection, doesn't it? That might not sound important now, but when you read the next paragraph, you'll understand the importance of having a large amount of things to take cover behind.

Move! If you are not moving, you damn well better be kept in your bunker by a large amount of paint, or the game is over. A stagnant pumper is a dead pumper. Every second that you aren't moving around is another second that the other team can be getting a flank on you. If you notice that the person who is shooting at you occasionally dips back in his bunker to either reload or shoot at one of your teammates, time it to figure out when he does so, so that you can use the opportunity to take another bunker. If you can manage to do that without him knowing, congratulations! You are now hidden from the other player! He'll have no idea that you are in a different bunker, and continue to shoot the one that you used to be at. If you were able to take a bunker even slightly closer to the edge of his bunker, you now have a larger target to shoot whenever he sticks out to shoot the previous bunker. Remember when I said you can hide behind smaller bunkers? I bet that stump a few meters to your front right looks like a tasty bunker with quite a few target opportunities. Who would expect someone to hide behind a bunker that small? Use that to your advantage.

Pump in the woods is a fantastic experience, and something that any real pumper should experience at least once. Once you learn the pump way to play in the woods, you'll dominate those who rely on rates of fire to compensate for skill. Just remember, sneak, flank, and shoot.

#2 urban ninja

urban ninja

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 12:30 AM

Nice post Tribs! Considering I play in the woods a lot, I can agree with pretty much all of it. Some of my favorite parts are using your lightness and smallness(well, at least for me, I'm 5'10" and weigh 140 lbs, so im skinny) to my advantage. And like Tribs said, MOVEMENT IS ESSENTIAL!!! Even technically if you arent playing pump, you want to move, but considering pumps are lighter, we better be moving our asses to better positions every chance we get. And as for sneaking up on people, you won't believe what you can do with a lighter, smaller, setup and some camouflage. You will scare the crap out of some people.

Posted Image

#3 BOOM

BOOM

BRING DA RUCKUS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 12:40 AM

good job I also only play in the woods(I'd like to play some speedball but it's too far). 'cept the camo bit I personally play in a red jersey, blue goggles, and camo pants(hence the colour blind ballin), but to each his own.

~misfeeds are the enemy~ - canadian ballers club/pump players clan

#4 Corrupted355

Corrupted355

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 01:03 AM

I prefer to pump in the woods. In general, there's just so much more cover to work with. And that thing about making the best of having the light setup is absolutely true. I always find myself in much better position to make a key play when I'm carrying a pump. And it's not just because you're running light, either. There's always that idea in the back of your mind that if you reveal your position by taking a shot, and you miss... chances are that you're going to have a maelstrom of paint raining down on you. That alone is incentive to get close enough to make the shot count.
"Speak softly and carry a big stick"
my markers

#5 Tor

Tor

The Clothes Make The Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,048 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 09:57 AM

Great guide. Any mod reading this, Pin it!

Posted Image
Proud American
"I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you." -Genghis Khan

#6 SGP

SGP

Internals!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:45 AM

Too many pinned things already. Could we just have a tips thread pinned that links to all of these? I hate hate hate having to scroll past the 7 pinned items, especially with the new forum format that doesn't set them apart.

#7 Tribs

Tribs

Applejack forevaaaaa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 10:01 AM

I prefer to pump in the woods. In general, there's just so much more cover to work with. And that thing about making the best of having the light setup is absolutely true. I always find myself in much better position to make a key play when I'm carrying a pump. And it's not just because you're running light, either. There's always that idea in the back of your mind that if you reveal your position by taking a shot, and you miss... chances are that you're going to have a maelstrom of paint raining down on you. That alone is incentive to get close enough to make the shot count.

It was a great day of paintball when I finally realized that part out Posted Image

#8 Cheap-o

Cheap-o

THE neglected douche

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 02:50 PM

it's all patience, 13 on 3, i didn't quite win, but I slowed them down, even though the teams sucked that day. i just waited for that shot, and the guy was like "there is a big hole in this bunker" *WHAP* "ouch! this bunker sucks!"

10 on 1, i didn't quite win, but I never got hit. playing with my stock class phantom at a stick pile.

Edited by Cheap-o, 28 September 2009 - 02:50 PM.

#9 bigBUBBA

bigBUBBA

I sell apples and apple accessories

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 04:00 PM

definite pin, very nice tribs!

Maybe start a Occupy Windhelm movement. Start piling up items outside the doors of the house. Those Occupy movements totally changed how banking and society interact so I'm sure it will work for you.

Posted Image

#10 p8ntballkiller

p8ntballkiller

Photoshopper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 04:03 PM

nice

Posted Image

Need Photoshop Work?? Click Here Ill be glad to do anything!

#11 The-Phantom

The-Phantom

Rock N' Cock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 04:21 PM

can i add to this, or add this to the pump tips thread? I have a lot of experience in this field, actually the most of my 10 years in paintball is the 6 i have been playing pump woodsball

im gonna write something up here soon when i have time, gotta eat first, then get icecream (i know it's not twitter, ill stfu B)

f_oneshotm_05c6b49.jpg
Please feel free to private message me if you have a question about something I've posted!
If you show me an inch, I'll show you the dead-box.

-Brett

#12 Leafy

Leafy

Uses the Man Pedal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 06:11 PM

I like pumping in the woods, its nice to make the other teams 40 on the break and then have a second to collect yourself before the other team start running towards you without cover, having that revy on top (grav feed it never would have happened) makes getting 4 people out in seconds possible.

#13 Tribs

Tribs

Applejack forevaaaaa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 08:45 PM

can i add to this, or add this to the pump tips thread? I have a lot of experience in this field, actually the most of my 10 years in paintball is the 6 i have been playing pump woodsball

im gonna write something up here soon when i have time, gotta eat first, then get icecream (i know it's not twitter, ill stfu B)

As long as you cite me.

#14 The-Phantom

The-Phantom

Rock N' Cock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:56 PM

I'm not worried about revival of this because i feel it is a guide worthy of being seen again/pinned so here we go

Continuing off what tribs said. If there is branches and brush that you can't squeeze one ball through you usually should not go for it because a high rate of fire semi will shoot 40 shots and get 1 or 2 through that can hit you while your hopelessly trying but just getting a small mist that is lost on the path to the target. A tip Tyger uses as a just rule of thumb, if you can't hit some one on the first 4 shots then your not going to hit them from the spot your in with where they are, so stop trying and move! If your too far or theres an object you can't get around in 4 shots you most likely won't in the 5th, 6th 7th and 8th but what you may do is expose yourself while you try and get shot out, or noticed by more people on the enemy team which is also bad

This seems like the most obvious tip in the book but you'd be surprised the amount of times people ask me how i hit them from "so far away" because "my gun can't shoot that far" well people it's called aiming up. A simple arch of the barrel towards the sky will send the ball up to ranges of 200+ feet with ability to take some one out who's aiming straight at you and watching as their paintballs fall to the ground at about 125 foot mark. I have taken out groups of 10+ people from 250 feet away from the respawn point where they are standing around waiting to get a plan together on the field and as they enter in i am off where they can't even see me laying rounds of paint taking out person after person causing mass confusion because at these ranges they don't hear the shots coming, they just see the balls hitting their teammates or landing dangerously close to them, so people use this tip trust me.

Another tip for you longballers out there and those who want to try, if you don't have a field paint that has to be a certain color, i recommend very bright oranges, and yellows, lime greens for paints, because your usually gonna miss your first shot... But the trick is you follow that ball all the way till it hits then the rest you know how to judge wind from that and distance, do i need to push more right, and farther etc... So it's a good idea to get the brightest paint you can find, because trust me one time i needed to use a field paint that was brown and in the woods i'd lose every other shot and wasn't as good at zeroing in and being effective from a distance

If you don't believe that longballing can be effective just watch this video, at 200 feet tyger is able to hit a mask on a bucket in 2 SHOTS! now that's pretty good for a range some people would have never before dreamed of when they saw some one they'd just keep on moving up to get "in range" and never gave it a shot

On the reverse end of this, longballing is nice and good and it is an art that can truly be mastered but you can't try and fall into just doing this. Is it a great skill to have in your skillset? Yes it is a great one... but should you hide off 250 feet away and never get into the action? ABSOLUTELY NOT! Tribs made good point of the fact with pumps (mainly stock class) your the lightest set up player on the field and you have little if anything to lug with you up the field, so you can run freely as if you have no gear on you almost, use this to advantage. It not only helps move farther and further but you can move in a hot situation some times in a short distance. The faster you can get to a bunker even if it's close to you the less cover fire your team mate needs to give you, and the less chance the enemy will pop out in that time and get a good shot and a fast moving target.

Another one of tygers tips, he calls the golden rule is... If your not getting shot at, chances are the enemy doesn't see you and you can move. So unless your behind cover if your in some what open looking around and don't immediately have a few paint balls come flying at you, the fact of the matter is that the other team probably doesn't know your there, so it's always a good idea to move. And when you move you can use this rule to get further and further until you get into a range where you can get good shots. If you are within 100 feet that's most peoples mid range, you get most of your eliminations from this distance, so if you can get inside this range and are still not getting shot at, look for a decent amount of cover like tribs said... you've got no bulky pack so that tree that's only maybe a foot wide can be used as a brilliant bunker. you get close to it, turn your body and stand straight up... from my chest to my back is about 8-10 inches from a side view, so these trees can cover you completely and people never would expect your that close, so when you hear them shoot see how much of them you can see and get a feeling for there pattern because most players have a pattern, shoot go in wait x amount of seconds and change sides or come back out the same side what ever, every one is different but look for it

When you've got that pattern down, load find a spot where they are exposed as much as possible and when they come out get a shot off on them they won't see it coming and you will most likely hit them or have a chance to either shoot the 2nd and 3rd shots that guarantee the elimination before they even realize you are there and are able to react.

I've learned a lot of things in playing pump in the woods 6 years, and seeing the 4 seasons in the most stereotypical fashions. We get the cold snowy winters, the leaves turn and fall in autumn, spring rains with high grass, summer hot and dry with normal looking trees and shrubs. So things you have to learn just from playing where you live are, What can and can't i shoot through? There are thickets of soft brush that won't break paint, and if your close enough you can shoot through and get a break, but anything at 65+ feet the ball will stop and get caught in this grassy thickness and stop inches before hitting the target. Some heavy leafy trees can be shot through with great sucess because it's mostly leaves but then others have thin branches that will shred up your paint shot after shot that you should avoid. In the winter what you see is what you get... pay attention to your 12 grams running out a little sooner but other then that around where i'm at everything is dead and bare, most small twigs are frozen and snapped off trees so you can shoot through anything that's not solid wood, because there is nothing else really but snow.

I completely agree with tribs that camo can be very helpful. Personally from my experience i like to go "ninja" and wear all black all the time
Posted Image

I have a lot of reasons, i like the way it looks and all the gear i have is comfortable to play in and it's not to heavy not to light. One of the reasons i went with black instead of camo leafy patterns or digi or ghillie, is black plain out works. Black is a color that we as a species tend to look past all the time, optically we are drawn to colors and might pick up on a clear mask lense that's sitting still in a large area of woods that will pop right out at us even more so then a all black object even if it's moving it is usually looked over when trying to focus on everything else.

All of this has worked very well for me, because i always hear "I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW YOU WHERE THERE?!" and "i did NOT see that coming at all, i saw you at the beginning and then a few minutes later BAM, your right behind us taking pot shots"

It's hard to really add to this tribs did a great job of covering all the good points, i just thought i'd add anything that might help

Edited by The-Phantom, 20 January 2010 - 11:22 PM.

f_oneshotm_05c6b49.jpg
Please feel free to private message me if you have a question about something I've posted!

-Brett

#15 Leafy

Leafy

Uses the Man Pedal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:07 PM

I as well wear the nija, only thing that sticks out on me is the yellow lens, and really that lens makes a huges difference in being able to pick stuff up. I dont know if its just the color filter making my brain process the images different or if it actually makes the shadows less dark but it works.

#16 urban ninja

urban ninja

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:19 PM

Something I enjoy about the woods, is that there isn't always a firefight everywhere. Unlike in speedball, sometimes people are quietly advancing up some backroad and aren'y under attack at all. Now, as much as I love being sneaky and doing that, the only thing better is popping those guys. What I have a habit of doing is not firing at all, and being somewhat off from the rest of my unit. They draw a bunch of fire and maybe fall back. Now, sometimes people get careless. They start thinking they can walk between cover. Well, this is generally when I fire off a shot, and one of them ends up with orange all over their mask. I don't see too many other people doing this, as a lot of people get caught up in their big firefights, but like I said, I enjoy waiting for when people think they're safe to shoot.

The lesson from this? Pumpers are sneaky little bastards that will shoot you when you least expect it, especially on bigger fields. Also, like people up above said, if you're not being shot at, they most likely don't know you're there. Please, push up, around, wherever and move forward. BUT! For pete's sake, don't make stupid mistakes and get shot because you think you're invisible. They might not see you, but it might be a good idea to move as if they do. Cause then, even if they do see you, you can get away. Basically, don't walk to bunkers. Just saying, I've seen it happen too many times. Not that I mind when my opponents do it...

Posted Image

#17 War0411

War0411

Moose!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:30 PM

Very helpful stuff, though this is probably geared to the newer pump players.

While out in the woods I used to prefer wearing the full camo approach, playing semi, and that worked if not for me spamming shots through the tinniest thickets. I am trying to break myself of the camo thing by wearing grey and red Tanked gear, and with a pump I find myself at a massive disadvantage, but it is more comfortable and only slightly heavier. The main thing with what you wear is dependant on your play style to me. I would rather be able to move across the field faster, and not be camoflauged than being stuck sitting in the small zone that you blend in with waiting for others to come to you.

Baylor University
PowerPlay Paintball

Posted Image

#18 Tor

Tor

The Clothes Make The Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,048 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:32 PM

alot of this stuff applies in speedball too.

Posted Image
Proud American
"I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you." -Genghis Khan

#19 Leafy

Leafy

Uses the Man Pedal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:37 PM

i get weird looks, you see dye c8 jersey, dye c7 pants, jt pro flex, some crappy 40 dollar pump with a 70/45 on it. like wtf, yes I paid more for my jersey than the pump. of course my 40 dollar trracer has been relegated to being the back up to my sniper.

#20 Bob Long Vice

Bob Long Vice

Fez

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:42 PM

the one problem w/ is that this is more of a scenario guide i dont know how your local woodsball field is set up my mine has no teams at all if yours does and is big enough to longball (mine isn't i can hit a pair of googles on the other side easy) then this guide would work damn i wish there was a bigger woodsball field in the bay area nice guide tho

Edited by Bob Long Vice, 20 January 2010 - 11:42 PM.

bob long Vice FTW
"If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, you need to rethink your strategy"
"Pump players are the Weird Al's of the paintball world. Completely pointless and crazy, but you always get a laugh." Sasquatch

#21 urban ninja

urban ninja

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:56 PM

the one problem w/ is that this is more of a scenario guide i dont know how your local woodsball field is set up my mine has no teams at all if yours does and is big enough to longball (mine isn't i can hit a pair of googles on the other side easy) then this guide would work damn i wish there was a bigger woodsball field in the bay area nice guide tho

No teams at your woodsball field? So you play free for all? Strange... do you not have a lot of people there? I can't imagine always doing free for all with a lot of people...
The field I play at, Splat Tag, is huge...

Posted Image

#22 Leafy

Leafy

Uses the Man Pedal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:57 PM

No teams at your woodsball field? So you play free for all? Strange... do you not have a lot of people there? I can't imagine always doing free for all with a lot of people...

only course at my field I could imagine playing free for all on would be the village and everyone would have to start in their own huts.

#23 urban ninja

urban ninja

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:01 AM

only course at my field I could imagine playing free for all on would be the village and everyone would have to start in their own huts.

I can see it on a few of the fields at Splat Tag... but it wouldn't ever happen I don't think because there are always so many people there.

I can't imagine always playing free for all... I like teams. Teamwork: Giving the enemy someone else to shoot at.

Posted Image

#24 The-Phantom

The-Phantom

Rock N' Cock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:08 AM

Long balling wasn't mentioned in the guide at all... tribs did a great job of writing up some of the most crucial elements of pump in the woods and it seems to have been simply overlooked but take a few minutes and carefuly read through it trust me you can pick up a lot of good stuff, that's what it's there for! :)

And as far as free for all... in 10 years i can honestly say i can count on one hand the number of time's i've played it. Two times were at skirmish paintball on a field with a giant red penis shaped bunker in the center called the red rocket or "dog boner" by the local players :P And every one started at it, because it is dead center of the field... the ref starts counting at 10 and when he hits one and blows the horn it's fair game... it was actually pretty fun and i won both times there i took out at least 2 people to start the game then picked the rest off one by one.

Outside and my local fields the only time we'll play a free for all, which is rare is at the end of the game if there is 5 people and we all want to play, and theres not 2 that much better players who'd want to go 2 vs 3... we'll play free for all... but we have only done this twice and both times it was pretty lame, most people shot eachother out and the one guy who sees no action wins lol

And as far as the aiming up tip people.... it's not just long balling. there are two ends of the spectrum in my opinion, the 2 extremes are, very high long arched longballs, and shooting straight on. Now in flat woods the longest ball i can hit i'd say is around 265 feet, maybe if we are playing around 300 FPS. I'd say at 280-285 FPS i'm able to hit at 250 feet but that's absolute range. The other extreme is shooting flat, and i'd say at 280 it's effective range to aim straight as the person and hit them is about 75 feet where it's gonna be higher chest and up if you aim direct at the head.

Now the in-between is where people lack the aiming up. It can be used to hit shots at the 150s where the balls simply won't make it by shooting straight at some one on flat ground, but your also not going to be perched back launching mortars into the sky to hit them.

I'd say i've gotten very good at longballing and on a good day in ideal conditions i had a 6 foot human target at 200 feet that i was able to hit 27 times out of 30, which for math guys is 90% so i'd say at that range i am very deadly with a long ball, but that's not my maximum range, although it is generally on flat ground the farthest i will ever think about engaging a target

In big games and scenarios where you see people with apex's and there are towers on hill tops, and now with first strike rounds and all that crazyness, you are going to see some extremely ridiculous shots people, I'm talking about pushing over 300 feet easily if you've got a big enough field there will be a lot crazier things happening with long distanced shots (and an ending note i don't know why i added this very last part... just felt the need to say it)

f_oneshotm_05c6b49.jpg

-Brett

#25 Tribs

Tribs

Applejack forevaaaaa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:44 AM

The reason I didn't include long balling is that it's pretty much useless in a woods ball situation. That would only give away your position and waste paint/air, neither of which you want to do when you're playing pump. Best to leave that to the hosers, they can cover a wider area over long distance easier.

#26 The-Phantom

The-Phantom

Rock N' Cock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 02:06 AM

The reason I didn't include long balling is that it's pretty much useless in a woods ball situation. That would only give away your position and waste paint/air, neither of which you want to do when you're playing pump. Best to leave that to the hosers, they can cover a wider area over long distance easier.

Generally if it's at like a "woodsball field" where you pay to enter, theres a dead box both teams start at and the field is what ever size and you just go at it i'd agree, playing pump you get up as far as possible and stay low profile and get as close as possible with out them knowing and take the shots you can hit for sure at the right time

But i do have to disagree, well at least in my opinion coming from the standpoint of how and where we play. We have about an acre of land on both of our fields, all pretty flat woods in my back yard field, with 2 meadows, one dry pond bead and the rest is all medium thickness of woods. The trees for most of the seasons are lightly branched and it is very possible to lob balls through the foliage with great success and at 200 feet with a phantom, if 9/10 times i'm hitting you then i'd hardly say it's a waste of paint, and the 1/10 i do miss, you scatter to cover or what ever but even if you did hear the shot at that distance, which i highly doubt they did they have NO idea where it came from, there concern is to scatter to cover and start looking all over, while you can move freely and go on to other people or wait a second to see if they come into a spot where you can hit them again. Now locally i have to knock the people i play with here a little bit, though it's not really a big deal... The people i play against are very poor at long balling, and generally never do even if they do spot me there first reaction isn't to try and rope a long ball back, they want to move fast knowing if they can move i won't be able to hit them because the ball takes too long to get there. So they don't long ball any where near as much or as well as i do/can, BUT they can/do know how to avoid a long ball pretty well if i don't hit them on the 1st shot (unfortunately this is only about 10% of the time).

Don't get me wrong i am not trying to say i am T3H b3zt longball3r 3varrrr, i think i'm just good enough to have it be a tool i like to have in my belt. I have run into people when i'm playing scenarios who can long ball much better then me because their willingness to waste paint, and they are actually quite good at keeping a rope right on point at 200+ feet and getting people, so when I'm next to one of these guys at a scenario i move way up and play exactly as you said in your guide. But when there is a battle in the city and i some how managed to snake my way past there entrance of the walkpath into the city and found a spot 200 feet from there re-insertion area, while people don't even notice i'm there and can use the long ball to take out 10 guys in a row (full respawn troop) before the last guy saw me and pointed would have pointed me out to the next group so i left after that 10 eliminations to go back and help out in the city. This is just the one case that it came probably in the most handy and i know it was scenario but it's still in woods and more like woodsball then speedball.

I'm not saying you need to do it or disagreeing it's easier for supersemi's to do it, but i don't think it gives up cover and IF your not good at it, yes i agree it is a waste of paint and air... But it's something i've been doing for years and fancy my self good at so B) I'm gonna keep right on doing it... If paintball style was a college degree i'd put it like this, I've got a masters in woodsball pump as you described it to the T with a minor in longballing if that makes sense, pretty much most the time i'm mobile aggressive and veray veray shneaky:ph34r: but from time to time i love breaking out the longball

Edited by The-Phantom, 21 January 2010 - 02:35 PM.

f_oneshotm_05c6b49.jpg

-Brett

#27 nicknack171

nicknack171

Punkwork Intern

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 08:28 AM

haha can u imagine 50 person ffa on urban

Edited by nicknack171, 11 February 2010 - 08:28 AM.

Minnesota Ballers Club My Youtube!
"Dont drink nick,stay in school and dont smoke"- Gordon "Cockerpunk", while smoking and drinking at ll3
Im under 18 and pay for all my gear. but i also dont pay heating,water,electrical bills, car,health,home insurance. so props to you guys who have real payments and still play paintball

#28 The-Phantom

The-Phantom

Rock N' Cock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 03:35 PM

that'd be wild, first 30 people would be out in probably 1 minute of the game

f_oneshotm_05c6b49.jpg

-Brett

#29 Tor

Tor

The Clothes Make The Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,048 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 06:50 PM

I would just jump on a roof and pick people off one by one.

Posted Image
Proud American

#30 DomminantAngel

DomminantAngel

Paintball...it's been a while...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:49 PM

Really fantastic guide. Kudos to you, sir.

I'm glad to be back...

#31 P51

P51

..you want mirrion dorrar?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,237 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 02:12 PM

Very, very well done guide.. Damn you both, Tribs and Phantom.. You've got me wanting to pick up a phantom. Someone convince me not to :D

Success is my only mothafuckin' option, failure's not
P51's Feedback

#32 Tribs

Tribs

Applejack forevaaaaa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 02:44 PM

Very, very well done guide.. Damn you both, Tribs and Phantom.. You've got me wanting to pick up a phantom. Someone convince me not to :D

Phantoms are proof of heaven.

#33 The-Phantom

The-Phantom

Rock N' Cock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 03:24 PM

Phantoms are proof of heaven.

quote for truth!

f_oneshotm_05c6b49.jpg

-Brett

#34 b3yond

b3yond

OFWGKTA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 04:37 PM

the unibombers manifesto in the making

#35 Leafy

Leafy

Uses the Man Pedal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 06:46 PM

Psh phantoms. Buzzards is where its at.

#36 Tor

Tor

The Clothes Make The Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,048 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:47 PM

Psh phantoms. Buzzards is where its at.

Too bad they cost a billion dollars and take a billion years to get to you.

Posted Image
Proud American

#37 Corrupted355

Corrupted355

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:51 PM

^^^
I was just thinking that myself.
"Speak softly and carry a big stick"
my markers

#38 P51

P51

..you want mirrion dorrar?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,237 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:52 PM

Well, I pulled the trigger.. no pun intended. I'm buying one this week.

Success is my only mothafuckin' option, failure's not
P51's Feedback

#39 EricCartman

EricCartman

Senior Member-LL4 Vet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:11 PM

also ambushes are your best times :D got a ambush but got owned becasue it was my friend and i Vs. 10 people becasue we only saw 8 walk past us. also he shot to early.
"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I hit you over the head with until you realize that I'm in command."-Serenity
Posted Image
My clubs Valken Users Club Steelie Club

#40 The-Phantom

The-Phantom

Rock N' Cock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:31 PM

also ambushes are your best times :D got a ambush but got owned becasue it was my friend and i Vs. 10 people becasue we only saw 8 walk past us. also he shot to early.

nub <_<

f_oneshotm_05c6b49.jpg

-Brett

#41 natezthekid

natezthekid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:17 PM

were can i get co2 cartriges besied the ones at walmart or will that fit fine in something like a phantom

#42 natezthekid

natezthekid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:19 PM

and one thing is if you are going to wear camo wear something with tan in it do just wear od green, why do you think that deers are tan and not od green

#43 Original Gangsta

Original Gangsta

My name is a lie.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,698 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:13 PM

ANSgear sells them, so do most online PB sites.

I don't wear camo in the woods anyways, I've never found it to be helpful to my play style.

I show up at a field that I never been to before for some rec-play wearing cargo pants with a t-shirt....carrying a old mech Spyder and two pringle potato chip cans for pods shoved in the pants pockets. The stares are priceless and after the first game or so you get to see the grins from the ref and players who know....priceless.

#44 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,824 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:33 PM

Please read dates before you post.

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#45 survivorspbteam

survivorspbteam

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:05 PM

Please read dates before you post.

nnnnnnnNNNNNnnnnnnNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNECRO-POST!!!
i rock a fx fusion

#46 Klub

Klub

i haz a pickle

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,865 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:33 PM

I like humping in the woods too

#47 Ajomega

Ajomega

No thats not me in the photo... yes its winsauce

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:11 AM

Mod Shens!!
urgh. I cant figure out how to put my bfbc2 stats on here :(

#48 Empire91

Empire91

Pump Zen Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:40 AM

Mike's a horny mother fucker lately. Nice necro BTW

#49 Red Infinity

Red Infinity

sugar berzerk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,398 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:42 AM

so Im not the only one who does that...
RAWR?

#50 Eskimo

Eskimo

Member #: 666 ( Seriously )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,110 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:33 PM

How the Fuck do you even FIND these threads? Seriously. Go to TechPB.com/forums
Then select
Pump section

On the first 3 pages are relevant topics.
if your question is not there. feel free to make a new topic.
Else.

Stop bringing threads back from the dead.

How would you feel If I dropped your 5 year old deceased grandmother on your doorstep and asked you if she was a nice lady.
thats how we feel when you raised old threads. Stop it or else I will dig up your parents.

Citrus Connection
Proudly Partnered With: PBL, TechPB, Pinokio Hoppers, HK·Army

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users