Photo

Massachusetts lawmakers to discuss "An Act Prohibiting the Use of Paintball Guns"

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 Iram

Iram

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,215 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 05:15 PM

READ THE WHOLE THING BEFORE YOU REPLY
I'm sick and tired of reading stupid responses from guys who haven't read bothered to read.

I just got an NRA-ILA alert that the Massachusetts congress Joint Committe on Public Safety and Homeland Security is going to be discussing a number of gun related bills on Thursday, November 19 including "An Act Prohibiting the Use of Paintball Guns".

I haven't been able to find the text of the bill. Thought you folks might be interested though.

Full content of the email alert is at http://www.nraila.or...ad.aspx?id=5206

EDIT: BigFoot has been able to find the text of the bill. His post is quoted below for easy reference. At first read, this doesn't look too bad. S-967 is the law beind discussed on Thursday. Basically it creates a $100 fine for shooting across public roads, etc., or for possession of a marker by a minor in a public place. There is a specific exemption for people at paintball fields.

well guys i found alot more info, and the laws that i found seem to be not too bad i guess:

S-967 sponsored by Sen Morrisey: basically the proposed law stats that no minor under the age of 18 shall be in a public place without an adult, and cannot discharge it PDF link right here: http://www.mass.gov/...pdf/st00967.pdf

S-1001 sponsored by R. Tisei: proposed that you cannot sell a paintball/bb/air rifle to a person under the age of 18, and also inclued the same terms in S-967 where a minor cannot discharge a paintball/bb/ air rifle in a public way/train depot, alley way, etc etc
link is here: http://www.mass.gov/...pdf/ST01001.PDF

Edited by Iram, 30 December 2009 - 06:28 PM.

#2 Kevin

Kevin

King of low-end

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,222 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 05:23 PM

crap, more bad news...

oh, and first.

I am qmto on youtube, i make funny videos because i love you all.
My Feedback 34/0/0
brasseagletechpblogo.gif

GUNS!!! Buy them please!

#3 murk_da_mask

murk_da_mask

Herp Derp Boston Bawllah Derp Herp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 06:38 PM

this is effin rediculous!

What the hell does prohibiting mean?
are they trying to say cannot use outside of the field? or does that mean not being allowed to use?
rediculous

Edited by murk_da_mask, 13 November 2009 - 06:43 PM.

Posted Image

Setup:Etek 3 LT,68/45 ninja,rotor,dye i4
~.:Team KaSL:.~
Field: Boston Paintball Indoor
Xbox live Gamertag: PeterxEast

#4 sherman

sherman

shoot first ask questions later!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 07:06 PM

wtf what did we do FUCKING NOTHING!!!!! paintball is a sport why dont the get over that for fuck sake and let us be!!!:excl::excl::excl::angry:
If your under 18 and pay for your own gear put this in your sig.
Posted Image

#5 TK-421

TK-421

Me So Horny! :D

• 25,932 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 07:22 PM

this is effin rediculous!

What the hell does prohibiting mean?
are they trying to say cannot use outside of the field? or does that mean not being allowed to use?
rediculous

Prohibiting would mean no paintball guns, period, that's my guess anyways. Prohibit means to not allow. So I don't know if they'll ban them entirely, or ban any use of them off field.

#6 PBFez

PBFez

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 07:47 PM

Sorry, but going by their standpoint (grouping Paintball markers with actual firearms), thats a total violation of the second amendment...

#7 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,932 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 07:53 PM

Sorry, but going by their standpoint (grouping Paintball markers with actual firearms), thats a total violation of the second amendment...

What makes you think they're grouping paintball markers with actual firearms?

#8 justin734

justin734

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:06 PM

paintball gun is in most cases classified as a firearm

this sucks though im in MA...

Edited by justin734, 13 November 2009 - 08:06 PM.

Posted Image
Justin D'Angelo Founder/CEO Bidpb.com --- My TechPB FB 19/0/0
Swabs in and for sale! Best deal anywhere : Here

#9 Blastman

Blastman

Super Awesome Amazing Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,450 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:09 PM

Fuck that, this won't go through, this is just another bat-shit witchhunt, just like in Germany, and that bil didn't go through, and neither will this.
Posted Image
OG Club-For the real TechPBers.

#10 crusificton

crusificton

Morally Flexible

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:20 PM

It's Massachusetts. It has a strong chance of going through.

#11 Iram

Iram

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,215 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:23 PM

I've been looking for the actual text of the bill and haven't found anything yet about what's really in it. If any of you guys in MA have Thursday off, you can actually go down to the statehouse and speak at the meeting. Unfortunatley I can't make it due to work, but if you're in the area go down and speak your mind. No reason to bitch online at people who have no power when you can actually talk to the lawmakers in person.

In MA, congressmen are required by law to bring any proposed law from a constituent to committee; frequently they'll spend a day or two at the end of the year just voting down all the stupid onces. It's possible this is just something like that.

paintball gun is in most cases classified as a firearm

this sucks though im in MA...

For someone who lives in MA, you should know better than saying stupid things like that.

According to both state and federal law, a marker is NOT a paintball gun.

#12 FacePainter

FacePainter

Blue Drank

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:24 PM

Where the hell is John Adams when you need him!

If you don't know he is arguably the most influential person during the colonization of america and in the revolutionary war.
And basically he fought for rights and liberty. . . and was from Massachusetts. <I'm too lazy to go all out on explaining everything about it.

#13 Schven79

Schven79

Uber Member

• Members
  • 12,374 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:24 PM

Man, we Massachusetts ballers are always getting screwed.

#14 tayloratdpb

tayloratdpb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:39 PM

Paintball guns are not firearms (except maybe the Tippmann c3 depending on how you define "firearm") but I do get your point ,if they ban paintball guns could you still use a potato cannon to launch a paint filled balloon. Basically I'm saying it would be very hard for them to draw the line. Even if it manages to become a law at least Massachusetts isn't a very big state :rolleyes:.

Edited by tayloratdpb, 13 November 2009 - 08:42 PM.

Blue 09 Ego Invert 2 Crossfire 68/45

#15 Tor

Tor

The Clothes Make The Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,048 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 01:11 AM

If there prohbiting anything they should prohibit the selling of paintball guns at walmart.

Posted Image
Proud American
"I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you." -Genghis Khan

#16 acidblasta

acidblasta

That's evil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 02:54 AM

ugh... i hate politics.
Here is my feedback for BST BST feedback
Matt Hackney Co-Captain
Team: Whatzup
Field: Whatzup Family Fun Park Seven points TX
If your are part of a north or east Texas team fell free to PM me for a joint practice or scrimmage.

#17 Schven79

Schven79

Uber Member

• Members
  • 12,374 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 12:09 PM

ugh... i hate politics.

Same here. Anarchy! :lol:

#18 murk_da_mask

murk_da_mask

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 02:04 PM

For someone who lives in MA, you should know better than saying stupid things like that.

According to both state and federal law, a marker is NOT a paintball gun.

a marker is a paintball gun...

but thats still really stupid to me...why would the prohibit paintball guns...did they freakin run out of stuff to ban?

Posted Image

#19 Tribs

Tribs

Turn down for sleep

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,027 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 02:08 PM

Where the hell is John Adams when you need him!

If you don't know he is arguably the most influential person during the colonization of america and in the revolutionary war.
And basically he fought for rights and liberty. . . and was from Massachusetts. <I'm too lazy to go all out on explaining everything about it.

Thomas Jefferson was much much better.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."

"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to = remain silent"

Edited by Tribs, 14 November 2009 - 02:09 PM.

#20 LLvB

LLvB

Now 100% STEAM powered!!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 02:47 PM

Hopefully this bill will be killed quickly, seeing as most of the colleges that I'm looking at are in MA.

∆ ∆
09 Proto Rail, Pinokio, 48/45 ANS Xtreme
Vforce Grillz, Empire 4+7 pack

#21 ktap

ktap

You just got DUSTed.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 05:00 PM

Paintball guns are not firearms (except maybe the Tippmann c3 depending on how you define "firearm") but I do get your point ,if they ban paintball guns could you still use a potato cannon to launch a paint filled balloon. Basically I'm saying it would be very hard for them to draw the line. Even if it manages to become a law at least Massachusetts isn't a very big state :rolleyes:.

Actually if it does manage to get passed it is a BIG problem. The full faith and credit clause of the Constitution: "Such Acts, records and judicial proceedings or copies thereof, so authenticated, shall have the same full faith and credit in every court within the US and it Territories and Possessions as they have by law or usage in the courts of such State, Territory or Possession from which they are taken." or in simpler terms: "states have to respect the "public acts, records, and judicial proceedings" of other states." Now at this moment the MA law would have no interstate affects, but if a interstate paintball case ever happens the MA law wins. Not to mention it sets a precedent for other states.

Posted Image

Drexel University Scenario Team
Sponsored by Valken

#22 bigfoot

bigfoot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 10:02 PM

any more info on this, I have to work tomorrow so i will try to call someone on tuesday and get some more answers????

#23 vijil

vijil

Giant Paintball Robot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 05:32 PM

It's probably due to idiots driving around with walmart markers shooting up people on the side of the road.

If I were you guys, I'd start writing *polite* and well written letters to the MA authorities letting them know that the paintball guns causing the problems are very, very unlikely to have anything to do with organized tournament players. Perhaps ask them to prohibit the sale of new paintball markers under a certain price instead (say, $150). Anything other than an outright ban. Remember, paintball as a sport provides a lot of jobs to hardworking Americans - pull that line and they can't help but do something else :)
http://propaintball.com - writer
http://paintball.net.nz - kiwi
http://vijil.daportfolio.com - concept artist

Christian Ballers Club

#24 bigfoot

bigfoot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 05:42 PM

It's probably due to idiots driving around with walmart markers shooting up people on the side of the road.

If I were you guys, I'd start writing *polite* and well written letters to the MA authorities letting them know that the paintball guns causing the problems are very, very unlikely to have anything to do with organized tournament players. Perhaps ask them to prohibit the sale of new paintball markers under a certain price instead (say, $150). Anything other than an outright ban. Remember, paintball as a sport provides a lot of jobs to hardworking Americans - pull that line and they can't help but do something else :)

i will not support prohibiting any type of paintball marker, thats a slippery slope i don't want to get on, Tomorrow im calling my senator and finding out what is going on and voicing my opinion

#25 bigfoot

bigfoot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 09:30 PM

well guys i found alot more info, and the laws that i found seem to be not too bad i guess:

S-967 sponsored by Sen Morrisey: basically the proposed law stats that no minor under the age of 18 shall be in a public place without an adult, and cannot discharge it PDF link right here: http://www.mass.gov/...pdf/st00967.pdf

S-1001 sponsored by R. Tisei: proposed that you cannot sell a paintball/bb/air rifle to a person under the age of 18, and also inclued the same terms in S-967 where a minor cannot discharge a paintball/bb/ air rifle in a public way/train depot, alley way, etc etc
link is here: http://www.mass.gov/...pdf/ST01001.PDF

#26 acidblasta

acidblasta

That's evil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 10:34 PM

good that's not necessarily a bad thing.
Matt Hackney Co-Captain
If your are part of a north or east Texas team fell free to PM me for a joint practice or scrimmage.

#27 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,932 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 10:45 PM

Well that law seems perfectly reasonable to me. I see no reason as to why that shouldn't be passed.

#28 RealtorTommy

RealtorTommy

Elite Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,361 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 10:47 PM

I caution those interested in these bills to read between the lines....You will be sorry further down the road if these pass.

#29 acidblasta

acidblasta

That's evil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 10:51 PM

I caution those interested in these bills to read between the lines....You will be sorry further down the road if these pass.

that's probably a possibility too (hell that's a definite now that you mention it...)
Matt Hackney Co-Captain

#30 steelhead

steelhead

I live in the Moment

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 11:00 PM

we have the frikken right to bear arms (even thought paintball markers are not guns at all) so they would be going agaisnt the constitution TO THE SUPREME COURT
(this is what ap government did to me)
Signs of Addiction to Paintball:
  • You walk anything you can get your fingers on
  • Its the only thing you can talk about
  • You spend more money on paintball than your girlfriend
  • You dont own a car but have an $1000+ marker
Public notice:
If you see a spyder, squish it.

#31 RealtorTommy

RealtorTommy

Elite Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,361 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 11:07 PM

we have the frikken right to bear arms (even thought paintball markers are not guns at all) so they would be going agaisnt the constitution TO THE SUPREME COURT
(this is what ap government did to me)

Paintball markers are not covered under any admendments or "rights".

Good luck MA players, I hope you email and phone those representatives.

#32 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,932 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 11:18 PM

What makes you believe we will be sorry? All seems to be in order. You just can't have your paintball gun in a public place where the public can access it. Easy, keep it in your car, where it should be. You're not allowed to fire your paintball gun in public. Common sense, you shouldn't do that anyway. You're still allowed to play paintball at paintball facilities and the like. Sure I missed something else. But for those of us who enjoy the sport, and care about it, never do anything that is going to be prohibited by these two proposed bills. So we should not have to do anything different.

#33 paintballgpimp489

paintballgpimp489

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 11:27 PM

the only problem i see with those 2 is in the second one it says no person under the age of 21..... i think thats a bit of a stretch 18 is resonable
Ion Owners Group [url="http://"http//www.techpb.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=39714&st=0#entry475321""]NE Ballers Club - click here[/url] Posted Image

#34 bigfoot

bigfoot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 11:33 PM

the only problem i see with those 2 is in the second one it says no person under the age of 21..... i think thats a bit of a stretch 18 is resonable

what it says in the second one is you have to be over 18 to buy a marker/bbgun etc, and you have to be over 21 or unless he is the holder of a sporting or hunting license and has on their person or possesses a Firearms Identification Card issued by the chief of police of the town in which he resides granting him the right of such possession.

so you can be 18 with a FID card. or 21 and no FID card

#35 paintballgpimp489

paintballgpimp489

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 11:38 PM

yes and thats my problem with it. you shouldnt have to have a license to have a paintball gun, yes you should be 18 to have one but there should be no need for a license.. and i agree 100% if your a tool and are irresponsible with it (shooting up neighborhoods etc...) you should have it confiscated
Ion Owners Group [url="http://"http//www.techpb.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=39714&st=0#entry475321""]NE Ballers Club - click here[/url] Posted Image

#36 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,932 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 11:56 PM

What you fail to realize is that it says you have to be 21+ if you have your paintball gun in a public place where the public access to it. How often do you carry your paintball gun around out in the open where people can get it? Besides at the place where you play paintball.

#37 paintballgpimp489

paintballgpimp489

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 02:27 AM

What you fail to realize is that it says you have to be 21+ if you have your paintball gun in a public place where the public access to it. How often do you carry your paintball gun around out in the open where people can get it? Besides at the place where you play paintball.

the thing is that could be considerd a car, walking out of your local paintball shop..etc if you need to have a license at 18 to have one they cna pull out anything "in public" that is all i'm saying imo its a little to vauge as to what public places actually are becasue how many people have problems with their paintball guns and take them to their local shop? will that be considerd a public place walking from your shop to car?

Edited by paintballgpimp489, 17 November 2009 - 02:28 AM.

#38 murk_da_mask

murk_da_mask

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 02:50 AM

TK-421 i see where yur comin from but also there is a certain problem with that way of thinking because if the courteous players like us are following the rules and such why should we have to be restricted to following a moral rule that each of us already have?

its like garbage
you are told to do the garbage
you do the garbage and sort recycling

now i say do garbage and recycling
and one day you happen to forget to sort recycling

now youre at fault?
EFF DAT

i say that if we give them leway as to how to dictate how we play paintball we have submitted to their whims of nonsense of which they dont understand
how can we get kids into paintball if there are so many restrictions as to how to use it

as a kid i use to play paintball without my parents concent...and alot of people play without parents support
like mike says paintball is not somethin you can do without loving it
if this gets passed that means kids of the future will not have the same opportunities that you and i had

i just dont belive that change necessairly means progression but i will agree if i am to lose my argument i wont be nearly as upset with these terms as i would have if they completely got rid of paintball (these terms are acceptable but not reasonable to me{mainly because i turned 18 not too long ago=P})

Posted Image

#39 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,932 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:52 AM

TK-421 i see where yur comin from but also there is a certain problem with that way of thinking because if the courteous players like us are following the rules and such why should we have to be restricted to following a moral rule that each of us already have?

its like garbage
you are told to do the garbage
you do the garbage and sort recycling

now i say do garbage and recycling
and one day you happen to forget to sort recycling

now youre at fault?
EFF DAT

i say that if we give them leway as to how to dictate how we play paintball we have submitted to their whims of nonsense of which they dont understand
how can we get kids into paintball if there are so many restrictions as to how to use it

as a kid i use to play paintball without my parents concent...and alot of people play without parents support
like mike says paintball is not somethin you can do without loving it
if this gets passed that means kids of the future will not have the same opportunities that you and i had

i just dont belive that change necessairly means progression but i will agree if i am to lose my argument i wont be nearly as upset with these terms as i would have if they completely got rid of paintball (these terms are acceptable but not reasonable to me{mainly because i turned 18 not too long ago=P})

The reason all these restrictions are being placed is because the public only sees the idiots doing drive bys. They never see us, the people who really love the sport and enjoy it. But I see what you're saying about the age restrictions. Yeah that isn't a very good idea since I'm sure there's quite a few people on here who are under the age of 18 and have to go behind their parent's backs to get their paintball equipment. And if that law is enacted, then they couldn't do that anymore, and might have to leave the sport.

Edited by TK-421, 17 November 2009 - 10:52 AM.

#40 tripp

tripp

Proudly Sponsored by ANSGear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 11:26 AM

technically in Baltimore maryland
there is not supposed to be any paintball fields
OR ANY PAINTBALL GUNS OWNED

YOU CANt EVEN OWN A FUCKING BB GUN IN BALTIMORE
(they banned Pit Bulls also)
:(
Sponsored By: ANSGear, Valken Paintball Southern Maryland Paintball
Posted Image
Bob Long 2k4 alias + freak + halo too

#41 bigfoot

bigfoot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 11:50 AM

first of all no kids should be going behind their parents back to buy paintball guns. most of the kids and adults i know have or had permission to do this. its just like school sports, if you want to play football for your school team you need a permission slip. and i don't think we should let young kids buy these guns without a parent there anyway.

the whole FID card thing isn't all bad either, yes some guys under 21 it will hamper, but it will teach people about safety aspects and laws pertaining to that. all hunters have to do it.

?No person shall discharge a BB shot, pellet or other object from an air rifle or BB, pellet or paintball gun into, from or across any street, alley, public way or railroad or railroad right of way. Whoever violates this section shall be punished by a fine of not more than two hundred and fifty dollars and the gun may be confiscated"

i think this is the main point of the bill, is to have some sort of actual crime on the books for kids doing this

#42 JakeThePhotographer

JakeThePhotographer

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 11:56 AM

Thousands of amendments and bills are proposed to Senate and the House of Representatives and only a few are passed. Most are rejected by Congressional Committees. You don't have anything to worry about...yet.

Edited by JakeThePhotographer, 17 November 2009 - 12:00 PM.

I tell it how it is. Don't like it? Tough!

#43 paintballgpimp489

paintballgpimp489

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 12:39 PM

first of all no kids should be going behind their parents back to buy paintball guns. most of the kids and adults i know have or had permission to do this. its just like school sports, if you want to play football for your school team you need a permission slip. and i don't think we should let young kids buy these guns without a parent there anyway.

the whole FID card thing isn't all bad either, yes some guys under 21 it will hamper, but it will teach people about safety aspects and laws pertaining to that. all hunters have to do it.

?No person shall discharge a BB shot, pellet or other object from an air rifle or BB, pellet or paintball gun into, from or across any street, alley, public way or railroad or railroad right of way. Whoever violates this section shall be punished by a fine of not more than two hundred and fifty dollars and the gun may be confiscated"

i think this is the main point of the bill, is to have some sort of actual crime on the books for kids doing this

The thing is their are alredy laws that punish those acts, its called assault ....... why should the rest of us be punished for that?

#44 Iram

Iram

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,215 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 06:24 PM

Now that we have the text, S-967 seems reasonable; S-1001 is a bit overboard.

I'm against requiring licenses for guns in general, but needing an FID for a paintball gun is just nuts. I'm not sure what the actual requirements for an FID are, but my LTC cost me $210 initially to get, and tool 4 months to process the paperwork.

Punishment of a $100 fine and confiscation isn't that bad. No jail time involved. Compared to some of MA's gun laws, that seems pretty reasonable. If you get caught with a firearm/rifle/shotgun without a license, you're looking at a MANDATORY 1-5 years in jail; $100 and confiscation for missuse of paintball gear doesn't seem bad.

I would like to see S-967 modified so that a non-violent mistake (a 16 year old driving to the field with his new Ego in the trunk) could result in a fine, but have the marker returned to the the kid's legal guardian instead of being disposed of by the state police.

You can contact members of the MA senate by email if anyone is interested. Their email addresses are at http://www.mass.gov/legis/memmenus.htm

Edited by Iram, 17 November 2009 - 06:37 PM.

#45 murk_da_mask

murk_da_mask

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 09:38 PM

i just personally dont belive that in order for someone to play paintball with their own equipment they need an adult's permission to buy it especially if they earned the money for it because already like 90% of the non paintballing community looks at paintball as a waste of money thus if needing parental condsideration theres a chance that the money the kid saved up for an EGO will go into somethin lame or even gets taken by the parents for their own whims...

the whole FID card thing is rediculous...yes there are saftey issues with paintballing and yes they should learn saftely aspects but comparing a paintballer to a hunter is saying that the paintball marker is a firearm...totally unrelated (given that a paintball marker should be treated as such...we really shouldnt be letting the government tell us how to do it)

i belive that yes there should def be a consequence for shooting into public area should also be punishable by fine and to also take away the gun is reasonable but not to the point where you have surrendured it over to the police and can never get it back

and your football metaphor doesnt make sense to me...youre talkin about buying gear...and playing football
you can play football without gear...and you can buy gear without playing paintball

i just think that if you start agreeing with a politican on their outlooks on paintball...you are forgetting what it means to live the hardships of being a paintballer
paintball has far too many things goin wrong for it right now for us to give any politican an inch

Posted Image

#46 bigfoot

bigfoot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 01:53 AM

i just personally dont belive that in order for someone to play paintball with their own equipment they need an adult's permission to buy it especially if they earned the money for it because already like 90% of the non paintballing community looks at paintball as a waste of money thus if needing parental condsideration theres a chance that the money the kid saved up for an EGO will go into somethin lame or even gets taken by the parents for their own whims...

the whole FID card thing is rediculous...yes there are saftey issues with paintballing and yes they should learn saftely aspects but comparing a paintballer to a hunter is saying that the paintball marker is a firearm...totally unrelated (given that a paintball marker should be treated as such...we really shouldnt be letting the government tell us how to do it)

i belive that yes there should def be a consequence for shooting into public area should also be punishable by fine and to also take away the gun is reasonable but not to the point where you have surrendured it over to the police and can never get it back

and your football metaphor doesnt make sense to me...youre talkin about buying gear...and playing football
you can play football without gear...and you can buy gear without playing paintball

i just think that if you start agreeing with a politican on their outlooks on paintball...you are forgetting what it means to live the hardships of being a paintballer
paintball has far too many things goin wrong for it right now for us to give any politican an inch

My point is a person under the age of 18 can't really Hide the fact that he or she plays paintball from their parents, remember that is what the terminology of the bill says, if you are under 18 you need a parent to be there. the same go's for playing at a field, Most fields require an adult to sign a waiver, just like in school sports or field trips. Just as i had to when i was younger, i had to teach my parents what paintball was and educate them to allow me to play. im sorry but i dont see the point in a 14yo with an ego, does a novice really NEED a marker like that?(but that is my opinion). if a minor has his parents take money away from him or her for their own whim then they have more important things to dealwith than paintball.

at least in the state of massachusetts you need a Hunter education class, and FID card to hunt and purchase firearms. this serves 2 purposes. One is very obvious to generate revenue, as much as i dont like paying for it, i have to as a resident. number 2 is it teaches you the rules of this state, that way if I am out hunting illegally or shooting illegally i cannot say, well i didn't know the laws.

If you are willing to spend 1200+ dollars on a paintball gun, and want to shoot up someones house with it, then its your loss. this is completely detrimental to the sport of paintball and should not be tolerated. but I hope the people who invest that kind of money in the sport have more honor and smarts than to do this and sabotage our sport. remember this part of the law is to reprimand the people who are not using the paintball gun for its intended purpose.

the whole football reference was to point out that as with most school sports/activities a CHILD under the age of 18 participates in usually requires a parental consent form. another good example of this is field trips. yea pickup games are one thing, but just like at a paintball field if you are under 18 a parent has to sign a waiver to let you play on the field.

wouldn't you like to know if your kid is playing paintball. all we need is some parent suing a field owner/store owner/manufacturer for their kid getting injured or killed because they didnt know what their kid was doing. Yes i think the parents should be responsible and make sure their kid is using the proper safety equipment and I DON'T believe the government should have to tell them, but in this day and age where all it takes is one lawsuit its a slippery slope in both directions.

I also agree with being VERY afraid to give an inch for fear they will try to take many miles.

i myself am undecided at the moment on what i believe is the right course of action

#47 paintballgpimp489

paintballgpimp489

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 01:04 PM

My point is a person under the age of 18 can't really Hide the fact that he or she plays paintball from their parents, remember that is what the terminology of the bill says, if you are under 18 you need a parent to be there. the same go's for playing at a field, Most fields require an adult to sign a waiver, just like in school sports or field trips. Just as i had to when i was younger, i had to teach my parents what paintball was and educate them to allow me to play. im sorry but i dont see the point in a 14yo with an ego, does a novice really NEED a marker like that?(but that is my opinion). if a minor has his parents take money away from him or her for their own whim then they have more important things to dealwith than paintball.

at least in the state of massachusetts you need a Hunter education class, and FID card to hunt and purchase firearms. this serves 2 purposes. One is very obvious to generate revenue, as much as i dont like paying for it, i have to as a resident. number 2 is it teaches you the rules of this state, that way if I am out hunting illegally or shooting illegally i cannot say, well i didn't know the laws.

If you are willing to spend 1200+ dollars on a paintball gun, and want to shoot up someones house with it, then its your loss. this is completely detrimental to the sport of paintball and should not be tolerated. but I hope the people who invest that kind of money in the sport have more honor and smarts than to do this and sabotage our sport. remember this part of the law is to reprimand the people who are not using the paintball gun for its intended purpose.

the whole football reference was to point out that as with most school sports/activities a CHILD under the age of 18 participates in usually requires a parental consent form. another good example of this is field trips. yea pickup games are one thing, but just like at a paintball field if you are under 18 a parent has to sign a waiver to let you play on the field.

wouldn't you like to know if your kid is playing paintball. all we need is some parent suing a field owner/store owner/manufacturer for their kid getting injured or killed because they didnt know what their kid was doing. Yes i think the parents should be responsible and make sure their kid is using the proper safety equipment and I DON'T believe the government should have to tell them, but in this day and age where all it takes is one lawsuit its a slippery slope in both directions.

I also agree with being VERY afraid to give an inch for fear they will try to take many miles.

i myself am undecided at the moment on what i believe is the right course of action

2 Things.. 1) your making it sound like every underage kid with a paintball gun (egos inpeticular) are going around shooting up neighborhoods, when infact its mostly people who dont play the sport other than buying walmart guns.. (not saying there are not people who dont but most people who spend 1200 on a marker dont go around screwing around with it).

2) Any field i have been to has waivor forms that need a parents or gaurdians signature, so i dont really see your football/high school sports analogy....

#48 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,932 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 01:48 PM

The thing is their are alredy laws that punish those acts, its called assault ....... why should the rest of us be punished for that?

Technically it's battery, not assault. Assault is when you're in fear of receiving a battery. Battery is the actual action of physical contact.

#49 paintballgpimp489

paintballgpimp489

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 02:14 PM

Technically it's battery, not assault. Assault is when you're in fear of receiving a battery. Battery is the actual action of physical contact.

okay either way (usually the 2 go hand and hand) their are still laws in place that punish it...

#50 bigfoot

bigfoot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 02:19 PM

2 Things.. 1) your making it sound like every underage kid with a paintball gun (egos inpeticular) are going around shooting up neighborhoods, when infact its mostly people who dont play the sport other than buying walmart guns.. (not saying there are not people who dont but most people who spend 1200 on a marker dont go around screwing around with it).

2) Any field i have been to has waivor forms that need a parents or gaurdians signature, so i dont really see your football/high school sports analogy....

my response is to what he was saying, He was saying that he doesn't see the point in having a parent there when you go to purchase a paintball gun. i was just trying to get the point across that for most minors they need some sort of parental consent to partake in such activities. So the kid can go buy a marker without his parent but still needs the parent to sign a waiver for him to play. its the same thing basically.

and in his statements he brought up the fact that a minor would saveup to buy a ego and because his parents were needed in him going to purchase it they would take away his money and use it for whatever they want instead of letting him buy the ego(insert any marker)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users