Photo

Massachusetts lawmakers to discuss "An Act Prohibiting the Use of Paintball Guns"

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#51 bigfoot

bigfoot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 02:22 PM

okay either way (usually the 2 go hand and hand) their are still laws in place that punish it...

as far as i know there is no law pertaining to shooting up a street sign or railroad car. yea they can try to charge you with vandalism but i don't know what the charge is for it. i think that is what they want to get across in this law. They want to be able to charge people with *using a paintball gun not for its intended purpose* i dunno how else to word it. but that seems like what they want to do.

like i said i still worry about the slippery slope that it could cause by letting this pass

#52 bigfootpm

bigfootpm

Not A Newbie Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 02:40 PM

make a patiton (spelling?)

#53 dhunt91

dhunt91

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 02:50 PM

um thats already in texas dude

no underage buying a paint gun

parent must sign wavier at fields for under 18 to play and use equipment

its nothing new dude

#54 Sgt Moose

Sgt Moose

Nah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,400 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 06:45 PM

I might be bringing back a dead thread, but did this happen? Or is it still in discussion? I really need to know, that would SUCK if they banned paintball.

#55 pbdude1017

pbdude1017

The Sponge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 03:37 PM

Basically, this just all means (correct me if I'm wrong):

1. No firing of paintball markers in public. (already something everyone with half a brain should know)
2. Minors cannot shoot paintball markers without adult supervision. (there are refs at paintball fields, so this seems sort of pointless)
3. No selling paintball markers to minors. (this is a policy of most stores anyway)

This seems like it would do nothing at all. However, it might lead MA down the road of restricting paintball marker use even further.

Edited by pbdude1017, 15 December 2009 - 03:37 PM.

Posted Image

#56 TK-421

TK-421

Me So Horny! :D

• 25,919 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 03:52 PM

Basically, this just all means (correct me if I'm wrong):

1. No firing of paintball markers in public. (already something everyone with half a brain should know)
2. Minors cannot shoot paintball markers without adult supervision. (there are refs at paintball fields, so this seems sort of pointless)
3. No selling paintball markers to minors. (this is a policy of most stores anyway)

This seems like it would do nothing at all. However, it might lead MA down the road of restricting paintball marker use even further.

The main worry here, if I'm not mistaken, is that this could potentially open up the flood gates for even more legislation restricting paintball.

#57 Sgt Moose

Sgt Moose

Nah

• Members
  • 12,400 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 08:10 PM

Did they discuss this yet?

#58 pbdude1017

pbdude1017

The Sponge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 08:34 PM

I hope this never gets passed. It would not be good for any more legislation against paintball in Massachusetts.

Edited by pbdude1017, 15 December 2009 - 08:34 PM.

Posted Image

#59 I♥Paintballing2

I♥Paintballing2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 12:54 AM

Question hasn't that always been a law that you cant sell a airsoft or paintball gun to someone under the age of 18?

#60 bigfoot

bigfoot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 12:27 PM

The main worry here, if I'm not mistaken, is that this could potentially open up the flood gates for even more legislation restricting paintball.

bingo!

i don't mind some of those laws, pertaining to shooting up people or houses. etc. those people should be punished by us and by the government. but i do worry that if we allow them to start regulating it, it will be all downhill from there

#61 GonePROpaintball

GonePROpaintball

The 3 P's : Pwning Paintball Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 05:51 PM

So hunters are allowed to kill animals with a bullet? But we aren't allowed to shoot each other with paint in the form of a circle? HELL NO.
Rob Labbe;
Posted Image
www.youtube.com/GonePROpaintball

Cheaters will be shot on site, wipers will be shot again.
IF YOUR UNDER 18 AND PAY FOR YOUR OWN STUFF PUT THIS IN YOUR SIGNATURE

#62 EJ/Failz

EJ/Failz

Hey.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 03:26 PM

If you live in MA, please go down to the meeting and speak. If this gets passed, other states will surely follow.

what about boxer breafs? Its like boxers but a little tighter so ur wang dont go bang bang in ur pants lol.

#63 Cl9uD

Cl9uD

Champ!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 03:35 PM

wile it makes sence it just kinda bothers me bacause i am 16 and i have to buy all of my own stuff. i agree that they should only be shot on fields and that there should be a bigger punishment for people who are shooting else were. but to make it so that i have to 18 to buy it just sucks
Posted Image

My Feedback

If you ever have a question about some thing i have posted feel free to message me.

#64 PFCAngeloUSMC

PFCAngeloUSMC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:04 PM

Relax kids, its just prohibiting a minor from using it in a public place outside of a paintball park, I'm all for this, kids buy them and do stupid shit like shoot pidgeons and other wildlife amongst other nefarious activities. It only takes a few to ruin it for everyone else.

#65 aitchfourex

aitchfourex

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 11:52 AM

Read the fine print, they are not totally banning them, just prohibiting the discharging of one in a public place. We got the same rule up here in Toronto, Canada and really it doesnt affect anyone. I shoot in my backyard and all I get are concerned looks from my neighbors.
SONATA ARCTICA

#66 Sgt Moose

Sgt Moose

Nah

• Members
  • 12,400 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 05:44 PM

Reading legal documents makes me go night-night, could I still shoot it in my backyard?

EDIT: I read the first couple lines. No offense, but you might wanna change the title. That's probably why so many people including myself are freaking out.

Edited by Sgt Moose, 15 January 2010 - 05:46 PM.

#67 Iram

Iram

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,215 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 06:05 PM

Reading legal documents makes me go night-night, could I still shoot it in my backyard?

EDIT: I read the first couple lines. No offense, but you might wanna change the title. That's probably why so many people including myself are freaking out.

I didn't name the bill. Thank congress for that title...

#68 bigfoot

bigfoot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 06:12 PM

any more info, did anyone go to the meeting. my car is in disrepair and wouldnt make it all the way out to boston

#69 TheWildOutsider

TheWildOutsider

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:22 PM

Now golfers can't swing a club off the course either!
Planning is for smart peoples.....

#70 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:25 PM

its not like they plan on taking away paintball entirely they just are enforcing paintball so kids arent shooting private property. I bet some old lady got shot up by a paintball gun and this is why they are all of a sudden enforcing a fine of $100. You shouldnt even have a paintball gun out in a public place just shoot it in your backyard or private property and you will be fine
Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

#71 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:30 PM

So hunters are allowed to kill animals with a bullet? But we aren't allowed to shoot each other with paint in the form of a circle? HELL NO.

paintballs are non lethal and fly at 280-300fps. a bullet can be heavier than an ounce and fly at 1200fps (12 gauge slug). An average .30 cal rifle shoots a 150ish grain bullet at around 2700fps... do the math what is more dangerous? Massachusetts is just enforcing rule on paintball not taking it away entirely. Its probably so kids dont go shooting people on the sidewalk or cars. They are only making it so you have to be 18 to buy paintball stuff and can only fire paintball guns on private property or else there is a $100 fine.
Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

#72 howudoin

howudoin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 05:26 PM

this isnt that bad the only thing thats bad is that we cant play pirate paintball uneless we have a license
Put this in your sig if you've ever ran into a tree playing paintball.

Bob long protege

Posted Image

#73 Woodsballer117

Woodsballer117

Xtreme Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:24 PM

Sorry, but going by their standpoint (grouping Paintball markers with actual firearms), thats a total violation of the second amendment...

What makes you think they're grouping paintball markers with actual firearms?

Well considering if you read the 2nd link it stated that anybody under 21 isn't allowed to posses a paintball gun in places accessable to the public unless they have a sporting or hunting lisence or a FIREARM Identification Card from the chief of police in the city.

So by there standpoint it would be illegal to ban paintball guns, but it wouldn't be illegal to limit them to people who are older than 18.

Edited by Woodsballer117, 24 February 2010 - 10:32 PM.

#74 Iram

Iram

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,215 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:52 AM

Sorry, but going by their standpoint (grouping Paintball markers with actual firearms), thats a total violation of the second amendment...

What makes you think they're grouping paintball markers with actual firearms?

Well considering if you read the 2nd link it stated that anybody under 21 isn't allowed to posses a paintball gun in places accessable to the public unless they have a sporting or hunting lisence or a FIREARM Identification Card from the chief of police in the city.

So by there standpoint it would be illegal to ban paintball guns, but it wouldn't be illegal to limit them to people who are older than 18.

First off, I haven't heard anything back, so I assume this died in committee.

Second, the proposed law does NOT link paintball guns with firearms. Check out M.G.L., Chapter 140, Section 121, Part 1, Title XX, which defines a firearm as:

""Firearm", a pistol, revolver or other weapon of any description, loaded or unloaded, from which a shot or bullet can be discharged and of which the length of the barrel or barrels is less than 16 inches or 18 inches in the case of a shotgun as originally manufactured; provided, however, that the term firearm shall not include any weapon that is: (i) constructed in a shape that does not resemble a handgun, short-barreled rifle or short-barreled shotgun including, but not limited to, covert weapons that resemble key-chains, pens, cigarette-lighters or cigarette-packages; or (ii) not detectable as a weapon or potential weapon by x-ray machines commonly used at airports or walk- through metal detectors. " http://www.mass.gov/...mgl/140-121.htm

Yes, it's a vague definition since there is currently no definition in state law (or at least in Section Chapter 140, Section 121) for a "shot or bullet", but the current state law is NOT interpreted as covering firearms. If it did cover firearms, you'd already need a Class-A License to Carry Firearms just to own a paintball gun. I believe you could ask for an official interpretation by writing the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Firearm Records Bureau (previously the"Criminal History Systems Board"), 200 Arlington Street, Chelsea, MA 02150-2375.

Neither of the proposed laws touch anything in Chapter 140; they just change Chapter 269.

Currently FID cards are required for chemical sprays (mace). They are just looking at adding one more thing to the list of items that require FID's.

As for this being a second amendment issue, the second amendment, like large portions of the Constitution, are basically ignored. Even with the 2008 Supreme Court ruling in D.C. vs Heller http://en.wikipedia....umbia_v._Heller, it's been ruled that requiring licenses with age restrictions is perfectly legal for real firearms (thus current MA laws are unaffected). Also, since I don't think anyone is arguing that paintball gear is "arms", the second amendment wouldn't apply. Also, the ruling in Heller vs DC doesn't state that the 2nd even applies to states, just to the federal government which controls DC. Until there is a more solid decition about incorporation (which I believe is being tried in Chicago), all sorts of state restrictions are still perfectly legal.

Edited by Iram, 25 February 2010 - 06:02 AM.

#75 tkebrick

tkebrick

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:56 PM

READ THE WHOLE THING BEFORE YOU REPLY
I'm sick and tired of reading stupid responses from guys who haven't read bothered to read.

I just got an NRA-ILA alert that the Massachusetts congress Joint Committe on Public Safety and Homeland Security is going to be discussing a number of gun related bills on Thursday, November 19 including "An Act Prohibiting the Use of Paintball Guns".

I haven't been able to find the text of the bill. Thought you folks might be interested though.

Full content of the email alert is at http://www.nraila.or...ad.aspx?id=5206

EDIT: BigFoot has been able to find the text of the bill. His post is quoted below for easy reference. At first read, this doesn't look too bad. S-967 is the law beind discussed on Thursday. Basically it creates a $100 fine for shooting across public roads, etc., or for possession of a marker by a minor in a public place. There is a specific exemption for people at paintball fields.

well guys i found alot more info, and the laws that i found seem to be not too bad i guess:

S-967 sponsored by Sen Morrisey: basically the proposed law stats that no minor under the age of 18 shall be in a public place without an adult, and cannot discharge it PDF link right here: http://www.mass.gov/...pdf/st00967.pdf

S-1001 sponsored by R. Tisei: proposed that you cannot sell a paintball/bb/air rifle to a person under the age of 18, and also inclued the same terms in S-967 where a minor cannot discharge a paintball/bb/ air rifle in a public way/train depot, alley way, etc etc
link is here: http://www.mass.gov/...pdf/ST01001.PDF

this is a good thing for paintball, both of them

#76 PredatorPaintball

PredatorPaintball

Whatchu know bout 600 subscribers!? ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:00 AM

From what I understand you cant fire it in public property which i believe is a good thing no?
But if ur under 18 you cant sell it to someone else right? That sucks but how would they be able to track who sells it, mostly sold online anyways right so how would they know??
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

#77 Iram

Iram

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,215 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:01 PM

From what I understand you cant fire it in public property which i believe is a good thing no?
But if ur under 18 you cant sell it to someone else right? That sucks but how would they be able to track who sells it, mostly sold online anyways right so how would they know??
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

With a subpoena, getting the IP from an online forum would be relatively easy. Tracking the IP to a ISP would be easy with a WHOIS lookup. Then another subpoena to the ISP and you know the house that posted the online ad. At that point, well, it should be pretty easy to figure out the kid with a Dynasty poster in their room is the one who sold it.

Still, I can't imagine someone bothering to track down a marker like that unless it was sold, used in a crime, and then recovered. It would have to be very unique marker or they would have to have to know who used it in a crime.

#78 Brandon Blackburn

Brandon Blackburn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 10:32 PM

yall this is a win for paintball
98% percent of ballers wipe, If your part of the 2% that PLAY THE BOUNCE, add this to your sig.

#79 e6mafia

e6mafia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 12:48 PM

i say that if we give them leway as to how to dictate how we play paintball we have submitted to their whims of nonsense of which they dont understand
how can we get kids into paintball if there are so many restrictions as to how to use it

as a kid i use to play paintball without my parents concent...and alot of people play without parents support
like mike says paintball is not somethin you can do without loving it
if this gets passed that means kids of the future will not have the same opportunities that you and i had

i just dont belive that change necessairly means progression but i will agree if i am to lose my argument i wont be nearly as upset with these terms as i would have if they completely got rid of paintball (these terms are acceptable but not reasonable to me{mainly because i turned 18 not too long ago=P})

Decent argument but I always played with out my parents support but they knew i was playing. If i had the money they would have bought me the marker, also i do not believe it said you had to be 18 to buy equipment just to buy the Marker so its not like you would have to bring your parents to the field every time. Also fields that i have gone to all require you to sign a waiver and if your not 18 you have to have your parent sign it. This Law simply makes it easier for MA to prosecute the morons who missuse there markers. I read both documents and though like many of you i thought the 21 part was a little steep i do not think it will prohibit any real players from doing what they do. not to mention if you keep it in a back pack or something like that while maybe riding a bike to the local field cops arent gonna be searching everybody they see.

#80 Snake-Eyes

Snake-Eyes

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 01:34 PM

this hole law seems to be dead lol
Posted Image

#81 GoldenElite0

GoldenElite0

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:05 PM

This is probably dead now but I had a read anyway...

The proposal is very vague, but it seems to be talking about prohibiting the use of a paintball gun by a minor in a public place. That's not hard enough, why not ban all adults from discharing in a public place? The field isn't a public place and nor is your back garden, so they're exempt. The law just wants to stop people from shooting in the street and thats not a bad thing at all.

Edited by GoldenElite0, 18 April 2010 - 05:07 PM.

#82 PBHedgehog

PBHedgehog

Mini for your g3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 11:17 AM

All that happened was your not allowed to carry around a pb gun,airsoft gun, or bb gun around in public, nbd. A bunch of colleges and good well known ones to like NU, BU, UMASS all have pb teams

#83 schnips

schnips

Wicked Pissah Masshole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 11:13 AM

ya i don't think anything came of it, if it had I would have heard about it by now

Posted Image

What I have learned from the internet is nothing is safe.... Don't touch anything, don't eat anything and don't do anything.... EVERYTHING causes Cancer!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users