Didnt have a footbed conversation. 

#902 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:20 PM

I've snowboarded a few times. Its lots of fun but I'm not sure if I want to invest them money. Maybe i will sell my gun and buy a beginner board, boots, bindings, and pants. 

Luckily snowboarding is dirt cheep equipment wise. You can get all of that for $200. Skiing on the other hand is expensive as shit. If you are in college or highschool there maybe a ski club and they have a pretty sweet deals usually.

I've been looking at used gear and most boards w/bindings are like $200. Can I start off with any all around board?

Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

#903 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,388 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:30 AM

I've been looking at used gear and most boards w/bindings are like $200. Can I start off with any all around board?

You just missed it. Boston Mills/Brandywine just had their "Open House" used gear sale. You can get some great deals on new and used gear.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

Feedback 2/0/0   Buy my shit here: http://www.techpb.co...-bob-long-vcom/

#904 nickp

nickp

Hippie

• Members
  • 7,768 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:41 PM

Didnt have a footbed conversation. 

You might be very lucky and not need them. My feet are so messed up I should have orthodics for everyday.

You pretty much can start with any board that fits your boot size and is about just under chin height and is no older than 5 years old. You get into older than that and the tech is super outdated Since you are out in ohio which is going to be icy you want to have a camberd board. Don't bother with rocker at all. The bindings should be no older than 5 years for the same reason as the board being outdated. If you can try to get a semi twin board so when you want to start destroying rails landing switch won't suck too bad.

Posted Image
proud 06' Subaru Impreza owner
king of skiers
August Burns Red "wave good by to the past. You've got your whole life to lead"

#905 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:06 PM

You just missed it. Boston Mills/Brandywine just had their "Open House" used gear sale. You can get some great deals on new and used gear.

I didn't even know this existed. I was just checking craigslist. There is lots of used boards on there. 

I heard brandywine was better for snowboarding than boston mills. I've only been to boston mills. Do you know if this is true?

Edited by TheGuy, 13 November 2013 - 04:08 PM.

Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

#906 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:18 PM

http://cleveland.cra...4125360298.html

What do you guys think? I'm not familiar with too many snowboard brands or used pricing for them.

Edited by TheGuy, 13 November 2013 - 04:19 PM.

Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

#907 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,388 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:57 PM

I didn't even know this existed. I was just checking craigslist. There is lots of used boards on there. 

I heard brandywine was better for snowboarding than boston mills. I've only been to boston mills. Do you know if this is true?

Brandywine, in my opinion, is better snowboarding. Brandywine has a much larger park. Both are about the same in terms of runs, and difficulty, but Brandywine seems to have the better man made snow in the past few years. They are only about a mile apart. If you're having a bad day at one, just drive to the other. They are owned by the same people, and I'm pretty sure they use the same color lift ticket on the same day, so you

don't have to pay twice.

Not too sure on the pricing. My younger brother has the same board, only a year or so older. Its pretty nice for the price. Its got some flex to it, and from when I rode it, it seemed to be pretty forgiving.

Edited by tallsmallboy44, 13 November 2013 - 05:00 PM.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

#908 nickp

nickp

Hippie

• Members
  • 7,768 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:49 PM

http://cleveland.cra...4125360298.html

What do you guys think? I'm not familiar with too many snowboard brands or used pricing for them.

How tall are you and how much do you weigh? Rome is a very good company and that is a kick ass deal but its more of a park board which if you are riding out in ohio that is something you will eventually get into. There is only so much slope to ride on out there.

Posted Image
king of skiers

#909 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:49 PM

I looked up my board size based on weight/height and 150-153 is my length range. I would mainly just be doing free ride, possibly park when I get better.

Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

#910 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,388 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:25 PM

If you get into park, you want to go a little smaller. It helps with spins. If you just plan on riding downhill for now I wouldn't worry about it.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

#911 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:20 PM

Sooo.... thats a yes on this board for general downhill, maybe park?

edit: did a little research and couldn't find that graphic combo on the 2012s... turns out its a 2011 board but the bindings are 2012.

Edited by TheGuy, 15 November 2013 - 09:33 PM.

Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

#912 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,388 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:17 PM

Its a pretty decent board for downhill. Its not the greatest thing in the world, but the again we are in Ohio, and the hills are not that demanding. There are better options out there for downhill, but the price on this one is good and it'll do just fine downhill, and get you into the park if you decide to go that route.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

#913 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:38 PM

I'm going to try and work some lowball magic if he still has it. 

Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

#914 nickp

nickp

Hippie

• Members
  • 7,768 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:56 PM

That board has rocker in it so its going to ride short. I would rock that length in the park for me being 5'11.

Posted Image
king of skiers

#915 HeroForADay

HeroForADay

• 8,824 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 01:55 PM

Camber/Rocker/Camber mix is awesome for basically everything if you can find a board in your price range. 

#916 nickp

nickp

Hippie

• Members
  • 7,768 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:17 PM

Has to be done right though. Never summer revolver is sketchy as shit. There is so much flex and rocker in the board that you pretty much butter down the mountain. Get up to 40 mph/64kph and it gets super squirly but if I were a rail slayer that would be the board I want. I had a burton sherlock and that was done better with the profile.  I average 60mph/97kph when I ride. Use to be a ski racer that turned freestyle and ride on ice most of the time. Can charge just as hard on a board now as I do on skis. Full camber is my friend.

Posted Image
king of skiers

#917 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:46 PM

That board has rocker in it so its going to ride short. I would rock that length in the park for me being 5'11.

What does riding short mean? 

Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

#918 nickp

nickp

Hippie

• Members
  • 7,768 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:46 PM

back in the day it was a simpler time and boards didn't have rocker, all boards had camber. When you are riding a cambered board all of the board is in cotact with the snow. Now with this new age rocker the whole board isn't touching the snow and you are riding on less. A cambered board that is 160 in length will ride like a big old bombing boat with the whole board on the snow. A 160 rocker board is going to ride like a 156 camber board because the whole board isn't on the snow. Some boards with rocker do it right and they do ride like the length they are advertised. The garage rocker board you are looking at imo dosen't have a profile I'm a fan of that works for my purposes of bombing downhill and saying fuck you snow and small children. For park on the other hand its suppose to be pretty good. You will end up riding park eventually, trust me.

Posted Image
king of skiers

#919 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:52 PM

I also found a gnu carbon credit which is suppose to shred on hardpack/ice. Its a 156W, and I size to about that. Decisions....

Thanks for teh advice btw

Edited by TheGuy, 18 November 2013 - 07:57 PM.

Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

#920 nickp

nickp

Hippie

• Members
  • 7,768 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:57 PM

whats your boot size? Unless you are a 11+ in your boot you don't need a wide board. That magna traction is fucking awesome on the ice you will be riding on but when you tune magna traction edges when they get dull they have to be hand tuned. If you put it trough a machine the edges will rip out. Its worth it though.

Posted Image
king of skiers

#921 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:00 PM

I wear like a 10-10.5 depending on brand. 

Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

#922 nickp

nickp

Hippie

• Members
  • 7,768 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:07 PM

I don't think you are going to need a wide board. You are right on the edge of getting one though. A narrower board is going to be easier to roll onto edge than a wide one. The only reason they have wide boards is for people with big feet. If you ride a regular width board with say a size 13 boot your toes are going to hang off the board and when you turn toe side your toes will drag in the snow causing you to eat mad shit.

Posted Image
king of skiers

#923 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:12 PM

I might just try to snag that garage rocker then. Finding used snowboard gear that works is way harder then like used paintball stuff.

Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

#924 nickp

nickp

Hippie

• Members
  • 7,768 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:20 PM

Whell ohio isn't the best place to ski/ride making me think the market for equipment is smaller. Out here salt lake city its a meccha for skiing and snowboarding so finding used gear is easy as hell even for finding the correct size for you.

Posted Image
king of skiers

#925 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:23 PM

I wish I had the money to take a trip out there. Casually going down a huge mountain seems like so much fun. Our ski places are more like very big hills.

Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

#926 nickp

nickp

Hippie

• Members
  • 7,768 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:32 PM

Oh man do I know hill skiing. I grew up riding at this place. Pats peak new hampshire. Every kid that grows up in souther new hampshire learns to ski here. Never will forget this place.

pic2.jpg

I moved out to utah get the epic powder but when you learn the really sketchy conditions of the east it make you a damn good rider. East coast pride my brother!

Posted Image
king of skiers

#927 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:38 PM

216002_trailmap.jpg

Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

#928 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,388 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:47 PM

Yup, The riding in Ohio is pretty lame. I try to make it out to Holiday Valley once or twice per year, but it still doesn't compare to the stuff out west. 

fuck yolo
#carpediem

#929 nickp

nickp

Hippie

• Members
  • 7,768 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:50 PM

270ft of vertical drop. Pats peak has 770ft of vertical but damn you guys got a ton of lifts. Pats had 5 chair lifts, two rope tows, and a j bar lift. most of the time only three chairlifts were spinning.

Posted Image
king of skiers

#930 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,388 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:54 PM

Sadly not all of them are always running. When there are double lifts, usually one is down unless it is extremely busy.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

#931 HeroForADay

HeroForADay

• 8,824 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:43 PM

<- is used to 3000 vertical feet lol.

Don't go buying a wide board unless you need to, and you won't need to until you're past a size 11 boot. It's not always a sure thing, since some boards are being classified as a "mid-wide", but really all you basically need to watch is the waist width and ensure it's not too thin.

There's a lot of good beginner boards out there, and something like that gnu CC would be perfect to learn on, so that kinda sucks that it's a wide. I'd still recommend getting a hybrid profile board to ride on, just do some reading on the manufacturers website for tech information. Look at Mervins website (GNU/Libtech) and Neversummer, both describe what the board profile is and what it's intended use is.

I learned on camber, and it probably makes you a better rider long term, but those old stiff decks love to bite new riders in the ass for sloppy riding and if you don't pay attention to the edges. I have a lot more fun on a hybrid profile these days, but I'm blessed with some of the best powder in the world where I live and a bit of rocker is a blessing in snow as deep as I am tall.

Also nick, I seriously doubt you AVERAGE that speed, peak is one thing, but unless you're racing averaging that speed on a public hill is stupid.

#932 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:09 PM

Have you guys ever used your paintwarz goggles on the slopes? I might take my proflex bottoms off and see how the lense part does.

Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

#933 nickp

nickp

Hippie

• Members
  • 7,768 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:30 PM

When you ski on a slab of ice you get hauling quick and where i was riding i skiied every day and knew what grooming did for each day. The only time i wasnt pointing straight was at trail mergers, park, trees, and bump runs. Now im on a new resort and don't know where im going.

I have used a proflex without the bottoms and they work. I would advise to use a old lens that isnt safe for paintball anymore. Lenses get beat when you ride. Also remember to get a goggle eventually with uv protection if you are riding during the day.
Posted Image
king of skiers

#934 Klub

Klub

i haz a pickle

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:04 PM

this is where I normally go, another week, and it'll be open. 

2012.13_map_winter.jpg

#935 nickp

nickp

Hippie

• Members
  • 7,768 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:06 AM

were you riding two years ago there? Almost 1000 inches of snow is insane

Posted Image
king of skiers

#936 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,388 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:27 PM

I would kill to have a mountain like that near me.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

#937 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:03 PM

I ended up buying a 2012 rome crail snowboard with ride ex bindings for $150. 

Edited by TheGuy, 26 November 2013 - 06:03 PM.

Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

#938 smurfinator22

smurfinator22

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:35 PM

I would kill to have a mountain like that near me.

come to canada man
we here in alberta have 7+ resorts to going skiing or snowboarding, all within a 3 hour drive

HeroForADay should know what im talking about

#939 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:55 PM

Ohio is unusally flat considering the state next to us and below us is all mountain

Edited by TheGuy, 26 November 2013 - 10:55 PM.

Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

#940 HeroForADay

HeroForADay

• 8,824 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:01 PM

I can't even list all of the solid resorts around here on my hands and feet. Plus all of the backcountry and side country spots I frequent. 

#941 smurfinator22

smurfinator22

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:04 PM

I can't even list all of the solid resorts around here on my hands and feet. Plus all of the backcountry and side country spots I frequent. 

i know of Norquay, Nakiska, Sunshine, Fernie, Lake Louise, COP (only for park) and castle mountain
any other good ones that would be worth while hitting this winter?

#942 HeroForADay

HeroForADay

• 8,824 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:32 PM

Lets see - COP, Norquay, Nakiska, Kicking Horse, Sunshine, Lake Louise, Marmot, Panorama, Fernie, Kimberly, Castle, Whitewater, Red Mountain, Revelstoke, Invermere, and probably a dozen more Cat/Heli Skiing areas all within a few hours (depending on your geography of Calgary). Plus there's ton of places along Highway 93/95 that re "local" side country spots where people like to meet with snowmobiles. Then there's some of the world's best lodges out there, one in particular I went to last year after they had some record snowfalls in the area with more than 50feet of snow. ;)

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=c-OT6r5h75c

Edited by HeroForADay, 26 November 2013 - 11:34 PM.

#943 smurfinator22

smurfinator22

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:44 PM

Lets see - COP, Norquay, Nakiska, Kicking Horse, Sunshine, Lake Louise, Marmot, Panorama, Fernie, Kimberly, Castle, Whitewater, Red Mountain, Revelstoke, Invermere, and probably a dozen more Cat/Heli Skiing areas all within a few hours (depending on your geography of Calgary). Plus there's ton of places along Highway 93/95 that re "local" side country spots where people like to meet with snowmobiles. Then there's some of the world's best lodges out there, one in particular I went to last year after they had some record snowfalls in the area with more than 50feet of snow. ;)

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=c-OT6r5h75c

how could i forget kimberly and marmot
i definitely need to look into that

and have you ever been to whitefish in montana? best powder boarding ive ever done

#944 HeroForADay

HeroForADay

• 8,824 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:56 PM

Yeah, I'm going back down there this winter, powder is what I do best. 

I was looking at some of Arbors new sexy ass fully rockered boards for powder killing this year. lol

Edited by HeroForADay, 26 November 2013 - 11:57 PM.

#945 smurfinator22

smurfinator22

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:49 AM

Yeah, I'm going back down there this winter, powder is what I do best. 

I was looking at some of Arbors new sexy ass fully rockered boards for powder killing this year. lol

nice man
when you go to whitefish, take the lift to the summit. when you get off you should be able to see some radio towers and a weather station directly in front of you. hike to the top of that. if its snowed recently then that snow will be untouched and you'll have about a foot or two of powder and lots of trees to go between

#946 Distortion_UK

Distortion_UK

Darkest London

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 10:13 AM

Chamonix is all you need, biggest and best off piste in Europe.

Had some huge lines last year.

Posted Image

Complete Guide To Paintball Health- http://www.techpb.co...0

How to Play Snake- http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=104279

#947 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:59 PM

RO.jpg

I want this sock haha

Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

#948 Klub

Klub

i haz a pickle

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 01:34 PM

Yup, one of the best years by far. It was wonderful. 

still haven't gone this year, not having snow tires on my truck makes me a bit limited on where I can go. 

#949 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:14 AM

Snow tires? I would guess alaskans have chains on their tires by now.

Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

#950 smurfinator22

smurfinator22

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:25 AM

Yup, one of the best years by far. It was wonderful. 

still haven't gone this year, not having snow tires on my truck makes me a bit limited on where I can go. 

has it snowed much up there yet this year?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users