• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Quency

Quency

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 05:50 PM

For most people, tuning requires new o-rings and a tube of your favorite brand of lube. But in all, it is much mroe complicated than that.

Any type of paintball marker is a precision machine, some are just more sensative than other, Matrix are one of these sensative markers. 1/5 turn too far and the marker will act up completely. So this thread is to give a rough estimate on to how to turn your marker to its best.

The F.U.S.E Bolt System is a large valve, nothing more, nothing less. If the pressures that move it, or that are coming in to it are not balanced or correct, the valve does not perform how it was designed to. With proper tuning, the bolt and marker overall will perform how it should.

Fast and Efficient.

All DYE Matrix markers have a baseline that they are more than likely going to shoot at, so this is the first place to start.
*Make sure that your HPR, LPR, and Bolt are freshly lube, and all orings are inspected*
  • Turn your marker all the way stock.
  • With the stock settings set, adjust your velocity to where you want it to be.
  • Now turn your LPR down until the bolt starts to creep forward when you shoot.
  • Raise the LPR until the boll has no lag when being fired, then you have a choice of screwing it in by 1/6 a turn or out 1/6 of a turn.
  • Now lower your dwell from anywhere from 10-14.
  • If your marker will fire, go to the chrono and adjust if not, raise it by one until it fires without a change in velocity.
  • After this, you can either, keep it the same dwell and get your desired velocity, or lower it by 1-3 ms.
  • Adjust velocity.
Smooth and Quiet. (Ironman Tuning)
Pro markers always shoot the smoothest and quietest they can, here is the basic way how.
*Make sure that your HPR, LPR, and Bolt are freshly lube, and all o-rings are inspected*
*This setting is the hardest to balance out, so try a few times before you settle for one setting and see how your marker likes it*

• Turn your marker all the way stock
  • With the stock settings set, adjust your velocity to where you want it to be.
  • Now turn your LPR down just a tad from stock.
  • Now raise your dwell to anywhere from 19-25 ms.
  • At this time you will need a chrono again, shoot a few shots and look for any drop off, if drop off raise your LPR a bit, if not lower it until you see it, and then back out 1/6 a turn.
  • With these settings you will want to cycle through the Dwells to see which works the best for your marker.
  • Adjust your velocity to where you want, if it has deviated at anytime.
*These settings will all be different if any mods to the bolt have been done, or if you have any upgrades to the bolt assembly itself*

DM Series Stock settings.

• DM4-DM5, HPR: ~3, LPR: 5, Dwell: 18
  • DM6, HPR: ~3, LPR: 3, Dwell: 18
  • DM7, HPR: ~3, LPR: 5, Dwell: 18
  • DM8, HPR: ~3, LPR: 3.5-5, Dwell: 18
*These settings are all approximations of what may work for your marker, these are not a guarantee of ~ 280 +/- 1 fpr*

#2 ContractKilla91

ContractKilla91

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 03:25 PM

Great Info!

#3 bapp

bapp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 05:17 PM

thanks so much

#4 Quency

Quency

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:30 PM

I will get pictures and hopefully a video as soon as I can.

#5 ssj4 m4j1n yoda

ssj4 m4j1n yoda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 09:44 PM

Excellent info! All i need now is a DM...lol. This thread is shows one of the things that turns me onto a Matrix, how sensative to settings they are. I like to tinker and find my personal level of performance for the marker. I really like design of DMs and PMs as well.
R-M-I: "Well...The TITANIC was designed not to sink too...And we all know how well that story ended right?"

08 Ego Purple/Cyan/Aurora :)
88/4500 Crossfire LP Tank
Suicide Shelled Reloader B

#6 eyeownyu

eyeownyu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 11:54 PM

hey im just wondering, but are you sure about the "ironmen" settings, because i know a higher lpr pressure will make the gun shoot with more kick, and louder. i have my dm6 set at lpr 1.75 turns and its the smoothest thing out there. im not sure about the dwell, but all im prety sure that the lower the dwell, the smoother the shot.

#7 left handed

left handed

Arms Dealer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 11:59 PM

Hmm....might have to do this to my DM4 this sunday. I would try the Ironman tuning, but seriously, I don't think my DM4 is an Ego when it comes to efficiency...but I will let you guys in on how it goes...if I remember...:P
Read. Now.
RussianLegionFan#8
The only thing you need to wipe...is your ass.
Parents Don't Pay Clan

Speedball has nothing to do with how fast you shoot and everything to do with how fast you move. - Crawdaddy (PBF)

#8 Quency

Quency

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 11:36 AM

hey im just wondering, but are you sure about the "ironmen" settings, because i know a higher lpr pressure will make the gun shoot with more kick, and louder. i have my dm6 set at lpr 1.75 turns and its the smoothest thing out there. im not sure about the dwell, but all im prety sure that the lower the dwell, the smoother the shot.

That is the only way I have found to get DM's to shoot like theirs is with a lower dwell (22ms usually) and if I have drop off, up the LPR a bit, not by much, just until the drop-off goes away.

Your marker will be less efficient for sure, but this will make your marker as smooth as can be.

EDIT: Just realized I did that backwards. The lower Dwell is to compensate for the lower LPR, basically you are allowing more time for air to enter the domp chamber, ect.

#9 theultimatehero

theultimatehero

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 11:22 PM

That is the only way I have found to get DM's to shoot like theirs is with a lower dwell (22ms usually) and if I have drop off, up the LPR a bit, not by much, just until the drop-off goes away.

Your marker will be less efficient for sure, but this will make your marker as smooth as can be.

EDIT: Just realized I did that backwards. The lower Dwell is to compensate for the lower LPR, basically you are allowing more time for air to enter the domp chamber, ect.

I think you are mixing up raising the dwell and lowering the dwell.

Personally i try to set my matrices to shoot as smooth as possible. The best way to do this is to have a really nice and low LPR setting. On my Dm6 i can set my LPR to around 2 turns out but at this point i will likely be experiencing drop off. To compensate for having the lower LPR setting i have to raise the Dwell so that gun can cycle enough air to function correctly. So i have to bump my dwell up to the 20-25 area.

Anyways a well done write up.

#10 TRiiPiiN

TRiiPiiN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 12:08 AM

Personally i try to set my matrices to shoot as smooth as possible. The best way to do this is to have a really nice and low LPR setting. On my Dm6 i can set my LPR to around 2 turns out but at this point i will likely be experiencing drop off. To compensate for having the lower LPR setting i have to raise the Dwell so that gun can cycle enough air to function correctly. So i have to bump my dwell up to the 20-25 area.

I dont know about u guys but all i care about is my dm and nothing else cause it mows faces!!!! : )
MARQ'S > EGO'S

#11 Quency

Quency

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 12:12 PM

Oh you are reading what I said wrong, by lower dwell I mean lower as in 19-25 ms. I call higher dwell as in quicker, or the dwell is a quicker speed.

#12 AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 12:15 PM

My thoughts exactly.

Images used in signatures are to be less than Width of 600px, and height of 160px. Only ONE image is allowed in the signature, and it must be 30k or less. Only 5 lines of text are allowed. No text larger then size 2 is allowed in the signature.

#13 Trigga Nometry

Trigga Nometry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 12:23 PM

Very good write up and information. Thanks!

#14 Garlic Man

Garlic Man

The Dumb One

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 04:56 PM

good info,

i would like my m8 to shoot more like an ego, and i dont really want to mess with the lpr, so can i do this just by asjusting dwell?
Limited Edition Proto M8
DXS 68/4500
Halo V35
-----------------------------------
McCain 08

#15 Quency

Quency

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 05:10 PM

good info,

i would like my m8 to shoot more like an ego, and i dont really want to mess with the lpr, so can i do this just by asjusting dwell?

Why do you want your marker to shoot like an EGO? You want more kick and for it to be louder?

#16 left handed

left handed

Arms Dealer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 11:08 PM

I think he means more efficiency. To answer your question about your DM8, I don't think you can only do it through dwell. If you do, then my guess is that you'll have a bunch of drop off. Don't be scared to mess with your LPR, I know I won't. ;)

Hey, I have a DM4, and I just got a Hybrid bolt guide. Will this effect my efficiency any? I really want my DM4 to shoot margarine, but I want to keep my efficiency a hopper and ~4 pods on a 68/45.
Read. Now.
RussianLegionFan#8
Parents Don't Pay Clan

Speedball has nothing to do with how fast you shoot and everything to do with how fast you move. - Crawdaddy (PBF)

#17 The M@N

The M@N

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 12:18 AM

Very good guide, very useful.
Fueled by hate, Driven by heart

#18 Quency

Quency

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 06:42 AM

I think he means more efficiency. To answer your question about your DM8, I don't think you can only do it through dwell. If you do, then my guess is that you'll have a bunch of drop off. Don't be scared to mess with your LPR, I know I won't. ;)

Hey, I have a DM4, and I just got a Hybrid bolt guide. Will this effect my efficiency any? I really want my DM4 to shoot margarine, but I want to keep my efficiency a hopper and ~4 pods on a 68/45.

I got it now.

Well if you want better efficiency messing with the Dwell will help by decreasing the amount of time the solenoid allows air to flow to the bolt.
But sometimes this caa result in shootdown if you go too low, so you may have to mess with your LPR and HPR a bit as well. Don't worry, you wont break it.

#19 ThatGuy

ThatGuy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 04:01 PM

Very nice guide.

#20 Rlpaintball

Rlpaintball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 05:37 PM

Great thread.. Im gonna tune my dm8 this weekend..

#21 left handed

left handed

Arms Dealer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 11:51 PM

I got it now.

Well if you want better efficiency messing with the Dwell will help by decreasing the amount of time the solenoid allows air to flow to the bolt.
But sometimes this can result in shootdown if you go too low, so you may have to mess with your LPR and HPR a bit as well. Don't worry, you wont break it.

I was going to "Ironmen" tune it, but I was just wondering if the Hybrid bolt guide would give me any more shots of my 68/45.

I'm stoked about Sunday, I finally get to play with my DM4 in a looong time. Thanks so much for the guide!
Read. Now.
RussianLegionFan#8
Parents Don't Pay Clan

#22 Quency

Quency

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 06:18 AM

I think the point of that bolt guide is to lower the over all operating pressure. So it will make your marker shoot smoother and a bit quieter, the efficiency should stay around the same.

#23 left handed

left handed

Arms Dealer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 11:22 PM

Well the Ironmen tuning killed my DM4's efficiency, at first I was getting a hopper and 4 pods off of 1500~2k psi. >_>

Imma try the fast and efficient soon with hopefully better results.
Read. Now.
RussianLegionFan#8
Parents Don't Pay Clan

#24 Quency

Quency

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 06:41 PM

Well the Ironmen tuning killed my DM4's efficiency, at first I was getting a hopper and 4 pods off of 1500~2k psi. >_>

Imma try the fast and efficient soon with hopefully better results.

Yeah that is the only downfall for that tuning at first, but once you get ti diled into what your marker can run at, it is not that worse than stock. It has to be this way for the low pressures and dwell times, more air, but smoother shot, less kick, and a lower sound signature.

#25 left handed

left handed

Arms Dealer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 11:52 PM

I guess I did sorta short cut tuning her, but the fact that my LPR and HPR creeped wasn't helping.

I tried to tune her for efficiency today, and I generated a small leak down the feedneck/barrel. I'll relube her, then reset her LPR and dwell, that should fix it. But when I have some air and a chrono, I'll be sure to not skimp up on tuning her.
Read. Now.
RussianLegionFan#8
Parents Don't Pay Clan

#26 triggerhappy13

triggerhappy13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 09:06 PM

if u do ironman tunining u will not get very much effeiciency and u better have at least a 68 tank
also you will get tighter groupings when shooting if tuned for smootheness

i usually have my shocker and the other trix tuned for effiecincy so i can use tiny tank i play xball and then have my proto tuned really smooth just to show off to other people who have no idea

#27 Quency

Quency

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 11:54 AM

if u do ironman tunining u will not get very much effeiciency and u better have at least a 68 tank
also you will get tighter groupings when shooting if tuned for smootheness

i usually have my shocker and the other trix tuned for effiecincy so i can use tiny tank i play xball and then have my proto tuned really smooth just to show off to other people who have no idea

Exactly, you will lose efficiency, unless you fine tune the settings.

#28 left handed

left handed

Arms Dealer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 11:26 PM

I do have a 68/45, wished I got a 70/45 stubby though. <_<

Will switching up my lube do anything for efficiency? I've been using Dow33 on all my orings so far, and I just ordered a tube of Slick Honey for my bolt. Will that help any bit?
Read. Now.
RussianLegionFan#8
Parents Don't Pay Clan

#29 Quency

Quency

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 01:24 PM

I do have a 68/45, wished I got a 70/45 stubby though. <_<

Will switching up my lube do anything for efficiency? I've been using Dow33 on all my orings so far, and I just ordered a tube of Slick Honey for my bolt. Will that help any bit?

In theory yes, with less friction, you will need less air to move the bolt, so in theory yes. As for which is the slickest, I honestly do not know whch is the "best" but I use Dow 33 exclusively.

#30 nastystankweed

nastystankweed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 11:11 AM

Great Info man, I got my dm9 and im runing it at 2.5 lpr turns with hater sauce, Dwell is at the stock 18ms and the hpr is about 2.75 turns out.
Macdev, Primelink, JT, Tanked
Young gunz guatemala captain and founder

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)