• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 tippofthehat

tippofthehat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 07:34 PM

I've posted alot today.... One more question- why pump? I've read posts about the "challenge," saves paint and gas, and stuff like "how its meant to be."

I play woodsball with anywhere from 3 to 11 other people on private property. Any advantage in this type of setting?

I'm sure this will ruffle some feathers, but why pump and not electro?

This may be better in 101, but I figure I'll get passionate responses.

Thanks so much.

#2 Tor

Tor

The Clothes Make The Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,048 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 07:38 PM

Here is something I wrote for an essay contest on 68Caliber.com
Why I play pump

First you step out of that car and pull out your phantom, sniper, or Sheridan pump marker. Then you see everyone else filling up their 140 round pods, filling up their 68/45 tanks, and there is some guy crying about how he busted is solenoid. You just sit back and laugh while your polishing a 12 gram.

Pump can be a number of things, a challenge or just a way to embarrass somebody. Or you could just like the attention. But if your really a pumper, not just an 'agg' tournament player showing off to his friends, you will know it is a truly spiritual experience. Sure you get the, "you must suck you have a pump gun" or the "hey why can't you afford a regular gun" and can't forget the "dude you can only shoot like one BPS" But after you get past the smirks, gestures, and giggles, you know that you can show them who's better on the field. Pumpers don't show their skill in their gear or appearance. They show their skill when a few people with embarrassed looks on their faces go to the dead box.

Using a pump gun now days is like using a hand crank radio. It's old school. How many people do you see using hand crank radios? Nearly none. It's unique. A pumper is unique. That's what we live for. We don't live for shooting the fastest, laying down the most paint at the chrono, or spending the most money. We live for something very simple. Fun. Yeah that's right fun. F-U-N. Remember your first time playing paintball? Remember how much fun you had, remember how it was a challenge, remember what it was like to get your first kill? Imagine having that experience every time you step on that field. It's unbelievable. It's spiritual. It's pump. That's what it is, pump paintball.

Edit:
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpKtMM4RY5g"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=zpKtMM4RY5g[/url]

Edited by Tor, 28 December 2009 - 08:12 PM.

Posted Image
Proud American
"I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you." -Genghis Khan

#3 tippofthehat

tippofthehat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 08:24 PM

Very cool video. Thanks for sharing.

toth

#4 Sasquatch

Sasquatch

Uhhh.. I bought another gun..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,469 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 09:09 PM

Tor explained it pretty well, I think, but Ill add my 2 cents.

Pump and mechanical play is all about having fun. Putting yourself at a disadvantage to other players will not only make you play better to make up for the gap, but it will show you that you dont need the newest battery eater on the market to play paintball with.

Regardless of how "good" you are with an electro, the instant you take the battery away, you will realize that skill isnt just about flicking your fingers really fast. Pump and mechanical force you to aim more, forces you to move smarter, and keeps you on edge more than electros do, because you dont have the 10bps to shoot out of a corner with.

When you shoot 3 guys out of a 5v5 with a DM9, you feel happy. You helped tear the other team apart, and you got the flag hang, etc, etc. Its all just a bland stepping through the motions game. You have a world class tourney marker, youre expected to shoot out more than one person.

Now, when you shoot 3 guys out of a 5v5 with a Phantom, not only do you feel happy that you eliminated 3 of 5 people with only 3 balls, rather than 3 pods, you can remember everything about those 3 shots. The angle you carefully set up across field, waiting for that player to show just enough of his arm, his leg, and taking the shot, watching that ball hit and break on your target, then seeing his hand go up in the air as he walks off the field as you pump your gun and get ready for a shot on someone else, and having the whole experience replay itself later on as you talk about the game.

Try and remember 10 eliminations to that detail that you got with an electro, and Im willing to bet that it would be difficult.

The satisfaction that you get with an electro is that you won. The satisfaction you get with a pump is how you won.

I will laugh as they overwhelm our enemies in a flurry of spotted banana hammocks.

Sasquatch's BST Feedback Thread
Check out my Ebay sales!

#5 Tribs

Tribs

Applejack forevaaaaa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 09:14 PM

If you go stock-class, you can get all you need to play outlaw with $25 from a quick trip to Walmart.

#6 jderrill

jderrill

sexy member

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,605 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 09:19 PM

wheres the fun in hosing down 25 balls per second from the back right? wheres the fun in relying on a gun to make you the player you are? take the crutch away and walking is much better.

Monocle smile
Posted Image

#7 Watcher

Watcher

AKA CavDragoneb12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 04:14 AM

I play woodsball with anywhere from 3 to 11 other people on private property. Any advantage in this type of setting?

It's cheaper, plain and simple.

What is pump? There are a lot of answers to that question, but to really understand what is pump you need to play it. I'll leave it at "pump is" and call it a complete sentance. It works similarly to the phrase "Friendly fire isn't", but the other way around and with pump...

But, since we all need specific clarification, pump play is many things. It is cheaper, it is a bigger thrill, it is more challenging, it requires better skill, it makes better players, it brings like players together in a way no other like players are (save for maybe Automag owners), it intimidates the meek, it intrigues the intermediates, it impresses the vets, it embarrasses the "aggs", it gets nods from the old school and the new school, it broadens the equipment differences, it expands the mind, it renews interest in the game, it sharpens the senses, it is a way of life, it is zen, it is the anti-semi, it is win, it is ninja, it is balls-out berserker, it is rewarding, it is humbling, it is a rush, it is calming, it is fun, and it is, simply, paintball... it is many things, many of which you need to discover for yourself, only some of which can be described by me.
Pump is all this and more, and to save myself having to type this or say all of this over and over to people I will reiterate: "Pump is".

"Pump is"... remember that, go buy a $40 PMI Trracer, a $5 shake and shoot, and $10 worth of paintballs, and add on to my statement. I'll wonder if you can, or if you will also just leave it at "pump is".

Many people try a pump gun and dislike it, thus dislike pump play. That is the problem, it isn't the gun so much as the play experience. Any cheapo pump will work, and a good gun can come later when you truly enjoy the game. You need to play not a game, not an hour, but a whole day or more with a pump gun. You need to know that you can't play as if you were using a semi, it is a whole different approach to play.
Only after you experience this will you know yes or no.

Tippmann Tech
Everything Rob "Tyger" Rubin
Alaska's Coolest Paintball Webcomic!

"The frightening thing about [humans] is their utterly mindless determination to do whatever mindless thing it is they are determined to do."
- Douglass Adams, RIP

-

Posted Image

#8 Northern paintballer

Northern paintballer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 12:30 PM

The reasons I like pump are its' cheaper, improves your skill as a player, takes you back to the way the sport was started, Now you know how the first guys felt when they played the game. Well besides not wearing any masks ouch. I'm not saying I don't like shooting semi or auto I just love the feeling you get when you know your marker maybe the underdog but your skills are what's really going to win the match.

I quote Sasquatch the satisfaction that you get with an electro is that you won. The satisfaction you get with a pump is how you won.

Edited by Northern paintballer, 29 December 2009 - 12:56 PM.

#9 JJohnson

JJohnson

Vintage marker Hoarder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 07:45 PM

All very good answers. As for me, I just started playing pump this past year. Otherwise during the 2007-early 2009 seasons I played with my PM6; got lots of eliminations during games and sure it was fun, but I became intrigued by the legendary Phantom over the 2008-2009 winter and bought one used in Feb of 09.

This year the only games I used my PM6 for were the "competitive games." One competitive scenario, one speedball tourney, and another tourney. Other than that I played with my VSC Phantom and had some of the most fun I've ever had playing paintball.

The going onto the field knowing that most of the people have more paint in their hopper than you carried onto the field with you; the looks/questions/comments you get from people before a game and then talking to those same people after you just eliminated half a dozen of them with your pump. The being chosen last during the first games of the day because you have a pump, then being among the first chosen in the later games of the day. The respect you get from newer players because you aren't just going out there and mowing them down at 10 bps. The fun from going 3 pumpers vs 15 renters and winning. The just plain old fun that the game of paintball is and how it is meant to be. The feeling of the "purity of pump" (especially stock class) because this was how paintball started, this was how our game was born 28 years ago.

Those are just a few of the reasons why I love pumpPosted Image

Combat Paintball

The satisfaction that you get with an electro is that you won. The satisfaction you get with a pump is how you won.

#10 The Desacrator

The Desacrator

Xtacle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:34 PM

Tor explained it pretty well, I think, but Ill add my 2 cents.

Pump and mechanical play is all about having fun. Putting yourself at a disadvantage to other players will not only make you play better to make up for the gap, but it will show you that you dont need the newest battery eater on the market to play paintball with.

Regardless of how "good" you are with an electro, the instant you take the battery away, you will realize that skill isnt just about flicking your fingers really fast. Pump and mechanical force you to aim more, forces you to move smarter, and keeps you on edge more than electros do, because you dont have the 10bps to shoot out of a corner with.

When you shoot 3 guys out of a 5v5 with a DM9, you feel happy. You helped tear the other team apart, and you got the flag hang, etc, etc. Its all just a bland stepping through the motions game. You have a world class tourney marker, youre expected to shoot out more than one person.

Now, when you shoot 3 guys out of a 5v5 with a Phantom, not only do you feel happy that you eliminated 3 of 5 people with only 3 balls, rather than 3 pods, you can remember everything about those 3 shots. The angle you carefully set up across field, waiting for that player to show just enough of his arm, his leg, and taking the shot, watching that ball hit and break on your target, then seeing his hand go up in the air as he walks off the field as you pump your gun and get ready for a shot on someone else, and having the whole experience replay itself later on as you talk about the game.

Try and remember 10 eliminations to that detail that you got with an electro, and Im willing to bet that it would be difficult.

Can I quote you on that buddy? 

I agree with just about everything said by everyone above me. You will probably never have advantage playing pump. Maybe because you shoot so much less they won't know where your coming from(happens to me and I play airball). I described it to my friend has a gift from god covered but in chocolate and hot naked women. Electro is just boring for me, plain and simple. The only reason I might buy another electro is to play in tournaments. But I mean, thats still a big IF.

#11 Sasquatch

Sasquatch

Uhhh.. I bought another gun..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,469 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:59 PM

Go for it.

I see a lot of good descriptions of pump play in general in here. Highfive guys!

I will laugh as they overwhelm our enemies in a flurry of spotted banana hammocks.

Sasquatch's BST Feedback Thread
Check out my Ebay sales!

#12 green

green

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 01:29 AM

Why not both? it mixes things up. I play both pump and electro.
Phantom Owners Group.

#13 OMGPaintball

OMGPaintball

Navy Baller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 08:33 AM

i play pump for the challenge, and the satisfaction of gogging someone who 10 minuets ago was talking sh** about my pump. (saving money doesnt hurt either :) )

#14 aquateenjunkie

aquateenjunkie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 10:20 PM

i got into pump for one main reason. improve my first shot accuracy, but the side effects like saved money doesnt hurt. i have played the past 2 games with my new azodin. i improved my kill ratio by about 25%. i played today and i lost track of how many people i raped. i couldnt be more happier.
"ill give you free paint when flying pigs throw snowballs over the frozen bowels of hell" ~ me ~

#15 Watcher

Watcher

AKA CavDragoneb12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 04:00 AM

Why not both? it mixes things up. I play both pump and electro.

Pump and Mech-Semi FTW. Electro is overrated, especially in todays world of 10BPS. Posted Image

The only electro I even want is an E-mag, just because they are epic awesome. The only other electro that piqued my curiosity was a PlanetEclipse Etek. But only for a day or two, then I went back to E-mag only.

About to buy either another pump (OC/SC convertable), or another Automag. Leaning towards the pump, as I already have a paint-thirsty mech spooly, while I only have a right-feed pump and a SC pump, both of which are out of commission.

Tippmann Tech

"The frightening thing about [humans] is their utterly mindless determination to do whatever mindless thing it is they are determined to do."
- Douglass Adams, RIP

-

Posted Image

#16 De Blazer

De Blazer

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 08:48 AM

"I play pump because it hurts more feelings"-MCB'r at LL2

the only alectro I would ever want is a Rainmaker or a MQ pump. MQ pumps are only special if the parts are mixed/matched and you built it your self. other than that, it's just an Agg wannabe.

Edited by De Blazer, 03 January 2010 - 08:50 AM.

"The Bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"-Glenn Palmer

Put this in your sig if you have played 2 man ten ball with ninja dave himself :)

Orange Parts PM8. Take a peek:)

#17 sticktodrum

sticktodrum

Paintball's Lovable Prince Of Parody

• Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,910 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 11:00 AM

Why pump? Wii pump!
Gerber, Surefire, TOPS, and Cold Steel all suck the big one. Buy quality products, not junk. :-)

#18 The-Phantom

The-Phantom

Rock N' Cock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 11:09 AM

Why pump? Wii pump!

why pump? why not...?

f_oneshotm_05c6b49.jpg
Please feel free to private message me if you have a question about something I've posted!
If you show me an inch, I'll show you the dead-box.

-Brett

#19 sticktodrum

sticktodrum

Paintball's Lovable Prince Of Parody

• Players Club
  • 11,910 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 11:17 AM

Someone should Photoshop a Phantom or sniper onto this, and make a pump card:

Posted Image
Gerber, Surefire, TOPS, and Cold Steel all suck the big one. Buy quality products, not junk. :-)

#20 Darrow

Darrow

SC4LYFE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 07:21 PM

I got into it for the simplicity, i stayed for the diferent playstyle...and the cookies.
You missed me at a rate of 22 balls per second and you're going to try and tell me your gun has eyes??

#21 Nategotskillz

Nategotskillz

Playing Since 05'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 09:22 PM

Biggest reason for me was the cost. You use significantly less paint when you play pump. It's a lot easier on me now to play paintball. And I guess the pump bug bit me. You get a lot of attention when you play pump. Almost everyone gives you looks and questions you about it. It's a whole other game you're playing.

#22 Schven79

Schven79

Uber Member

• Members
  • 12,374 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 09:38 PM

I find that its more satisfying to get someone out with a pump than a semi cause you actually have to aim at them instead of just throwing a rope their way and hoping one hits them. Its all chance when you play with electros or semis.

Although I do still love electrocockers deeply.

#23 chewiestmonkey

chewiestmonkey

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,943 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 09:11 PM

theres a lot of philosophy involved with pump, but for me it was mainly just the price of playing that got me into pump. i could afford one or two bags a weekend, a case not so much.

but it is certainly a blast going at it against everyone else, and being an aggressive and feared player with your antiquated technology..hehe.

god times ineed.
My BST feedback thread: http://www.techpb.co...&mode=show&st=0
If you'r too busy getting even, you will never get ahead.

#24 xcozmonosx

xcozmonosx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:45 PM

Would you guys still play pump if everyone else did, money aside.

#25 The-Phantom

The-Phantom

Rock N' Cock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:57 PM

yes... it's just what i love doing, if you do then i understand i don't blame you.... I honestly have gotten to the point with a pump where i'm better pumping then i am with a semi, it seems odd but any one i play with would rather have me with use a luxe then my phantom

f_oneshotm_05c6b49.jpg
Please feel free to private message me if you have a question about something I've posted!
If you show me an inch, I'll show you the dead-box.

-Brett

#26 Freakshow

Freakshow

Proudly Sponsored by ANSgear.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 01:11 PM

I dont play pump because its cheaper. I dont play pump because I wanna hone my skills for when I decide to pick up my Geo.
I play it because I have a good time. Or when I am in the mood for a fun relaxed day of paintball. (Which is every time I go, I am done with teams and hardcore ballers)
I noticed a lot of people who have electros during rec ball take themselves too seriously and destroy the other team (Walkons, New players etc etc) everyone should just pick up a pump and get along :P
Professional Clown and Circus Performer.

#27 Watcher

Watcher

AKA CavDragoneb12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 03:34 AM

I noticed a lot of people who have electros during rec ball take themselves too seriously and destroy the other team (Walkons, New players etc etc) everyone should just pick up a pump and get along Posted Image

Cheers!

Tippmann Tech

- Douglass Adams, RIP

-

Posted Image

#28 EDDAKA

EDDAKA

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:18 AM

Because the guns look cooler.

1 user(s) are reading this topic