I'm an old school player (started in 89/90) and prior to this gun, I've had a Line SI Bushmaster, A Spyder, A Spyder compact (originals) a 98C. I saw electropneumatics enter the scene and I really liked how quiet they were compared to all the mechanicals. But, they were priced out of my meager junior enlisted (Navy) pay. Eventually, they stopped carrying sight rails and and started sporting double finger triggers and that put them out of my interests (I've never liked how a double finger trigger changes how you grip).
Then, along comes the Ion: a low cost, highly modular, marker. In June/July of 2006, I quickly began to contact various aftermarket grip companies (FBM, PunishersPB, Element) to see if they would make a single finger trigger. Unfortunately nobody showed any interest. I then decided that I would have to go it on my own. So, I looked to take the easiest route- see if I could obtain CAD drawings for the stock grip and then modify it for single trigger before turning it over to a machine shop for CAM (while trying to get folks together for a group buy). Interestingly, Due to a Smart Parts customer service call mis-routing, I got connected with the Ion's Lead SP engineer (Hans)and I inquired about my interest in designing/acquiring a single finger type frame and I was rebuffed (understandably so from an intellectual property standpoint). However, note the time frame: I talked to him in July/August of 2006. Ironically, as I was finishing this project (Mk-1 Version, Fall of 2007), SP released their SP-1 marker. Maybe it was related? I'll never know.
It's gone through a couple revisions but, rather than bore you with that stuff, I'll cut to how it is now.
- Gas Through T-Stock (shortened)
- AKA 2-Liter+ Dual Reg
- SP 360 QEV
- Virtue OLED Board
- Virtue EZOn 2.0 Switch
- Virtue Green Laser eyes
- Deadlywind Hollowpoint Bolt
- NDZ Spring Ball Detents
- Freak Barrel W/ Apex Tip
- Customized Single Trigger Finger Grip Frame W/ Hump (Guard strong enough to suspend weight of gun)
- NDZ Wave Trigger (shortened to one-finger)
- Deadlywind DTI3 Body (Semi-BOB Tailed)
- BT Folding Foregrip (backwards 'cause I like to grip it like a rifle)
- Custom UMS Sight Riser (To put the sight above the Warp Adapter)
- ADCO 30MM E-Dot sight
- Green Camo Dye Rotor
- AGD Warp Feed ("Big Cell" Mod and "intellilinked" with Virtue Board via RF Port)
- Pro Team Products Warp Feed Adapter (inlet side reamed out to remove any 'speedbumps' for the balls)
- Custom Stovepipe feedneck
- Custom Marpat Covers for Warp Feed and Feed Tube
- Custom Four Color Duracoat Camoflage pattern (it's a Dark Green to Light Green background fade, with Tan-Dark earth fading digital shapes.
A Video (done when I had the APE board but, the Virtue performs the same):
Edited by UV Halo, 17 June 2010 - 08:28 PM.