17 replies to this topic

#1 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,496 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 04:08 PM

Watching a TV show the other day, and I saw them using a hydraulic press to test the breaking force needed to crush a particular item

I was wondering if Punkworks could design some sort of "Paintball Vice", where we can slowly increase the pressure on paintballs till they crack or break

This could be a very handy statistic to the paint companies and consumers

#2 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• 9,111 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 04:11 PM

Watching a TV show the other day, and I saw them using a hydraulic press to test the breaking force needed to crush a particular item

I was wondering if Punkworks could design some sort of "Paintball Vice", where we can slowly increase the pressure on paintballs till they crack or break

This could be a very handy statistic to the paint companies and consumers

yup, we got a compression test lined up.

we are going to simulate an underbore and see if it breaks paint easier.
The ultimate truth in paintball is that the interaction between the gun and the player is far and away the largest factor in accuracy, consistency, and reliability.

And yes, Gordon is the sexiest manifestation of "to the front."

#3 Mockstar

Mockstar

Enlarged Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 04:27 PM

I'd like to see a test like this as well. We've all done the drop test, and finger pinch test. I usually do one or the other with different paint brands that I buy. It's not real scientific tho.

#4 brycelarson

brycelarson

Show me the Data!

• 8,588 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 04:44 PM

We've got a combination test planned - using air pressure and also using force transmitted via a bolt.

#5 oerllikon

oerllikon

Sober people R jerks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:14 AM

Is that the tapered tube thing?
My new signature is better than ever

#6 brycelarson

brycelarson

Show me the Data!

• 8,588 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 10:10 AM

Is that the tapered tube thing?

yup, our discussion so far has included both air pressure controlled via low pressure reg and using a bolt-type cupping device to apply pressure to paint while measuring force.

Each test will give us a number - the interesting point won't be so much what that number is - but rather how that number changes from ball to ball and brand to brand.

#7 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• 9,111 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 11:09 AM

we just ahvea sneaking suspicion that the method of the application of the force will change the amount of force we need to break the paintball.

yes, we are going to use a tapered tube to try to simulate an under bored failure.
The ultimate truth in paintball is that the interaction between the gun and the player is far and away the largest factor in accuracy, consistency, and reliability.

#8 Spitlebug

Spitlebug

Canadian Cross Dressing, Bull ball Toucher.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,044 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 02:18 PM

we just ahvea sneaking suspicion that the method of the application of the force will change the amount of force we need to break the paintball.

yes, we are going to use a tapered tube to try to simulate an under bored failure.

Might I suggest getting an appropriate sized tube and putting a few of each batch/brand of paintball into it and slowly stacking weights on the ball to find the mean static burst pressure? I would be curious to see how the two would stack up between static burst pressure and air pressure.

If any thing it may be of interest for loader design or ball stack information.

Edited by Spitlebug, 25 November 2008 - 02:19 PM.

So tempted to suspend Kitty just so I can say I have....
Okay, fuck it....I just banned Kitty, that's going in the sig.

Administrator - ICD Owner's Group

Posted Image

#9 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• 9,111 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 02:25 PM

Might I suggest getting an appropriate sized tube and putting a few of each batch/brand of paintball into it and slowly stacking weights on the ball to find the mean static burst pressure? I would be curious to see how the two would stack up between static burst pressure and air pressure.

If any thing it may be of interest for loader design or ball stack information.

miles ahead of you, but good to see around. listened to you on the show last night, very good.

we are going to use a compression/tensile testing machine and depending on what procaps can do for us, 4 or more types of paints, from rec, to winter, to pro level. we will also use different methods of applying that force to see how a ball reacts to an underbore and on impact with a flat hard surface. and we have some "aged" paints we want to compare to fresh paint aswell.

Edited by cockerpunk, 25 November 2008 - 02:26 PM.

#10 `kook

`kook

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,919 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 02:54 PM

I wonder how much pressure it take to break a monster ball >.>
It's all about the game and how you play it, All about control and if you can take it
All about your debt and if you can pay it, It's all about pain and who's gonna make it

#11 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• 9,111 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 02:59 PM

wow, cant wait for the aged and new paint test comparison

yeah right now at home i have 20 or more paintballs in a few different places -

1. direct sunlight for the whole day
2. the bathroom with all the humidity
3. a flat, hard surface open to the air
4. my dehumidified basement
5. still packed in the box, unopened and sealed as was shipped to me but aged 3 months

i wonder if the humidified ones have blow up or not. when im home over thanksgiving ill check on them all. they have all been in that spot for a month now, and by the time we test them, they will be there 2 months.

and again, i'd love to thank ProCaps for stepping up to the plate and supporting us again. i just got off the phone with joey at procaps, and she is again donating a bunch of paint to us. thanks again ProCaps!

Edited by cockerpunk, 25 November 2008 - 03:00 PM.

#12 Spitlebug

Spitlebug

Canadian Cross Dressing, Bull ball Toucher.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,044 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 03:23 PM

miles ahead of you, but good to see around. listened to you on the show last night, very good.

Yeah it was really easy to talk to Mike. I think he's got one of those personalities that makes people comfortable. I hope I wasn't rambling at all. I can't believe I got on. I just called in and *BAM* Mike was on the phone. I didn't realise that I was live until he told me. I thought he was going to call screen.

:dodgy: <----- Haha too funny.

yeah right now at home i have 20 or more paintballs in a few different places -

1. direct sunlight for the whole day
2. the bathroom with all the humidity
3. a flat, hard surface open to the air
4. my dehumidified basement
5. still packed in the box, unopened and sealed as was shipped to me but aged 3 months

i wonder if the humidified ones have blow up or not. when im home over thanksgiving ill check on them all. they have all been in that spot for a month now, and by the time we test them, they will be there 2 months.

and again, i'd love to thank ProCaps for stepping up to the plate and supporting us again. i just got off the phone with joey at procaps, and she is again donating a bunch of paint to us. thanks again ProCaps!

Polar Ice is probably my favourite paint to play with but it's cold here and that makes it a much better general paint for my area. I can only assume the DraXxus Frostbite is essentially the same sort of thing. The shell of winterized paint as far as I can tell is much thicker, even so in cold or inclement weather it becomes quite brittle. I think the main difference is the fill. It's thick, but not like tar. Seems to get really soupy in the summer though.

Edited by Spitlebug, 25 November 2008 - 03:24 PM.

So tempted to suspend Kitty just so I can say I have....
Okay, fuck it....I just banned Kitty, that's going in the sig.

Administrator - ICD Owner's Group

Posted Image

#13 shadowsniper11

shadowsniper11

Rock N' Cock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 10:59 AM

diablo heat seems to not break in the barrel as easy but it deforms after a month though
If you get tunnel vision, you will be shot. If you focus on a single lane, you will be shot. If you stay still, you will be shot. If you waste paint on a guy dug into a bunker, you will be shot. If you stick out too long, you will be shot. If you give them a foot, you will be shot. If you stick your head out in the same place three times on rhythm, you will be shot.-Bryce Larson
My Youtube Channel: Shadowsniper11
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN JOINING A PUMP GUN TEAM IN DELAWARE CONTACT ME!!

#14 Split

Split

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 08:16 PM

Cockerpunk:
Cant wait to see youre ressults in the paintball stress test. I have a theory though that more brittle and higher grade paint, like evil and marbalizers and so on, have a "harder" and less elastic shell than cheeper paint. But when they first give in they colapse like the egs in youre egg squising video.

Not quite shure how I would go about testing this though. Maybe Push the ball through a tapered "glass" barrel or something like that to se how much each ball deforms before braking and not only mesuring the force that is needed to get the brake it self. This will allso show how far into the barrel (what bore size) the ball got before braking. So I would ask this question as a side question for youre test: "Does lower grade paint deform more than higher grade paint before braking?"

Thanks for all youre tests, they are very interesting. Keep it up.

#15 brycelarson

brycelarson

Show me the Data!

• 8,588 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 10:04 PM

We were working on a tapered clear cylinder - there were some issues with the machining - but I think we may have it this spring. We've got 5 types of paint from DXS - from gold to their just-above-white-box stuff. It should be interesting to see how the force needed to break the balls changes between them.

But yes, a cylinder that we can test deformation and force to break would be optimal. We'll get there.

#16 KonekoZombie PB

KonekoZombie PB

Bob Long Lives in Vice City Why

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 02:51 AM

I wonder how much pressure it take to break a monster ball >.>

lol if a grown man can jump up and down on the bag and not one ball brakes i can only wonder

Koneko means kitten in Japanese =^.^=

TIMMY MILITIA, **HALO CLAN**, and ze Grammar Nazi's.

#17 dazbag

dazbag

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:37 PM

Old thread, but still i would like to know, how much force is needed, to break a paintball? Someone who did a test?

#18 Jaccen

Jaccen

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:31 AM

https://docs.google....1qbUxFVUE#gid=0

http://www.techpb.co...showtopic=13341

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users