5998 replies to this topic

#5101 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

TechPB's Resident Angry Veteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:59 PM

i dont need anything over 4x... i was trained to hit a man sized target at 550 yards with iron sights... 4x is more then i need

when i can afford to i want to put a Timney trigger in my SCAR....

Edited by OEFVeteran, 12 October 2012 - 10:02 PM.

Shocktech Aftershock SFL team cocker, serial number 1
Mini Orracle pump, Eclipse internals, Sanchez Machine pump kit and grip frame
Mossberg 500 ZMB

OSG Paintball biggest and best field in NH... show them some love

"I wish I had 2000 feet. So i could shove 500 of them up each of your asses!!!!" Red Foreman

#5102 dhunt91

dhunt91

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:00 PM

I agree with the timney trigger and no it is not needed higher than 4 it just makes it easier and since he said competition i said 6 because easier is usually faster

when talking about tenths of seconds if im even the slightes bit off thats a miss i want to see that target like it was standing 10 yards away from me

#5103 TK-421

TK-421

Me So Horny! :D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,931 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:17 PM

depends on the comp... the high end EOTechs like the XPS line are popular, as are the Aimpoint CompM4 and T1 optics... i know some poeple run red dots on their competition pistols, but i dont see the point and i think they look dumb... with enough training you can become very very accurate without the need for sights with a hand gun... i've seen SF operators that can hit a target looking out a window, yet the hand gun is poking though a hole in the wall... its amazing what you can do with enough training

If I become rich and famous, I want two race guns, one that looks like an obvious race gun, and one that looks like a bastard child of an obvious race gun that got raped by a Teletubby. :lol:

#5104 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:33 PM

i jsut dont see the point in race guns unless you are at a high level of long range high powered rifle comps.... i've seen a few, and seen the price tags on them... as well as the accuracy numbers, and when compared to some high end tactical rifles, the numbers are pretty much the same, yet the tactical rifles shoot a larger caliber and go for cheaper... most race guns i've seen are 6.5 grendel or .270 mag, or 300 WSM... yet most tactical bolt guns are either .308 or .300 win mag... with a few .338 LAP Mags out there for really long range shoots... but really, a .308 is all you need if you want to reach out and touch something... i have personally seen snipers hit man sized targets at 1200m with a miliary 7.62 NATO Remmington or Winchester... pretty impressive shots...
Mossberg 500 ZMB

"I wish I had 2000 feet. So i could shove 500 of them up each of your asses!!!!" Red Foreman

#5105 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,931 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:58 PM

i jsut dont see the point in race guns

Why? Because if I'm rich, it means I have lots of money, and if I have lots of money then I'm going to be stupid with it. So I might as well be stupid about it by buying something cool. :lol: Oh, and I plan on using Glocks in competition, so it'd probably be 9mm or .40 S&W.

Or also:

Why? Because I can. :lol:

#5106 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:11 AM

see, when you say race gun i think of match grade high powered rifles....
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5107 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,931 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:20 AM

When I think of race gun, I think of heavily modified firearm meant for competition use.

Like so:
Posted Image

#5108 Corrupted355

Corrupted355

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:58 AM

Hmm, sounds like reloading would be a good way to go with the Five seveN. I'm going to get into reloading eventually. Not necessarily for money saving, but mainly because it seems fun and it'd be nice knowing that I put together the ammo I'm shooting, instead of having it mass produced at a factory.

Not so fast. I have the Speer, Hodgdon, and Lyman reloading manuals, and only the Lyman has anything to say on the subject of the 5.7x28 cartridge. Even in the Lyman, there isn't a whole lot of data to go on. And in the introductory reading on the cartridge, it has a general introduction to the cartridge, followed by this:

In our testing, we found that the 5.7x28 is not a good choice for beginning reloaders. It proved to be a very sensitive cartridge. Always begin with the recommended starting charges and work up slowly in 0.1 grain increments. The blow back design of the pistol also presents challenges to the reloader. Cases from once fired factory ammunition often encountered with shoulders blown forward up to 0.050" in length. These should be set back to factory specifications with the sizing die. It is a good idea to use the barrel as a gauge when setting up your sizing die. Sizing dies may need to be set very tight against the shell holder to resize the shoulder back to proper length. Obviously, this excessive working of the brass will cause early case failure. We would not recommend reloading these cases more than 2 or 3 times.

It then goes on to state that the best powder choice for this cartridge is Hodgdon's recently discontinued HS-7 powder. In my experience, working cases like this causes a lot of wrinkled brass until you get a feel for how that particular case wants to be re-shaped. The finicky nature of this cartridge as far as the powder charge is concerned combined with the difficult resizing of the brass prettymuch limits the reloading of this cartrige to either a single stage press or a turret press. Trying to load this cartridge on a high volume progressive press would probably result in inconsistencies that would at the very least provide reliability and accuracy issues. Worst case could make for a dangerous load (for the shooter). The fact that it is a shouldered bullet means there won't be any carbide sizing dies, which means you have the additional step of lubing the cases before you size them, adding to the number of steps and time you'll be dedicating to loading.

Bottom line, I reload eight different cartridges. If someone were to gift me a Five seveN, I would probably not reload for it. That is a gun in which I would be shooting volumes of ammunition, but the cartridge requires the precise attention of a single stage press. In my house, the only time I break out the single stage is for lovingly hand crafted hunting or target ammo, where I only need a small number of finished bullets, but they need to be perfect. I cannot produce volume on that press. I just don't have the time. Before I got my progressive, I once spent just over three hours loading two hundred straight wall pistol cartridges (about as simple and straight forward as it gets). And that was hauling ass with pre-set dies. My first reloading session on the progressive press loaded the same number of bullets into the exact same cases in 67 minutes, and I was still familiarizing myself with how the press worked. When you really get rocking on that thing, it'll pump out several hundred rounds an hour. This is what the 5.7x28 needs, but as tenuous as the cartridge is, I wouldn't do it.
"Speak softly and carry a big stick"
my markers

#5109 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:17 AM

from what i have been told by FN and 5.7x28mm experts is that the 5.7 ammo comes hot loaded from the factory... its the max performing round based on the weight of the projectile that you can get... now, there is a difference between the military and civilian cartridge, but thats more in bullet design and type of powder/amount of powder used... the military round 5.7 ammo will render most body armor (all but dragon skin) useless as it will punch right through and drop the wearer... where as the civilian ammo is so damn light (38gr lead free hollow point) that the bullet just brakes up on impact like a glasser safety round... and because the BATF has deemed the 5,7 ammo "armor piercing" you cant get the factory hot loaded military ammo or the subsonic ammo for it...

well, now that i no longer have the five seven its time to start shopping for a trusty .45.... i've always liked the Kimber Desert Warrior, but i am not a fan of the single stack magazine or Kimbers price tag...and the only dual stack 1911 i would buy is a ParaUSA P14.... i've also been looking at the FNX 45 tactical, though its a big hand gun.... hopefully in the coming months i will be able to afford a new hand gun...

http://www.kimberame...i/desertwarrior

http://www.para-usa....istol.php?id=91
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5110 dhunt91

dhunt91

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:16 AM

thats where were different Im talking about the standard 3 gun race guns which are quite literaly standard tactial rifles that have been tuned for competition my ar when completly finished will only have maybe 2 grand in it at most. Now long range match rifels yea those get up there way up there. Ill post pictures of my 3 gun set up when its finished.

#5111 H all day

H all day

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:31 AM

my new Belgian Mistress... have to come up with a name for her... my last M4 (military issue) was Ashley.....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

list uo improvements/personal items/upgrades...

BG-17 Battel Grip

EOTech 512.A65 HWS, aa battery model...

Grip Pod LE reinforced fore grip/bi pod...

Sure Fire Military issue weapon light, not sure of product model number....

HK Sling claw hook

SpecOps Lone Star single point sling... (not the paintball company SpecOps... the real SpecOps military supply company)

items on order...

GG&G Zombie Killer EOTech Hood and flip up lens covers....

GG&G bent charging handle

What about Athena?
I pay for all my gear...Im 13.If your under 18 and pay for your gear, put this section in your sig
Proud Christian Paintballer!!

#5112 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:21 AM

she is already named Eva.... and she has new glass on her... will have to take new pics to post...
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5113 Watcher

Watcher

AKA CavDragoneb12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:34 PM

Went to the local shop and rented a S&W M&P-45 out of curiosity.

That's a pretty sweet shooting gun!

At least when well broken in, the trigger has a bit of travel and has a crisp little single-action like release. It's like 3/4 of the trigger pull is a very light take-up, and then it goes stiff and small amount of pressure means it breaks right there, and the remaining 1/8th of trigger pull is over-travel.
Aside from the take-up and the rotation, it felt a lot like a 1911 trigger.

A lot lighter and shorter on break when compared to my SR9, I thought. The SR9 is more like a Glock's "safe-action" where the striker is pre-cocked half way and the trigger does the rest, I guess the M&P pre-cocks the striker a lot more and the result is a shorter and lighter trigger pull. I believe it! It makes it feel like a 2-stage trigger, where as my SR9 is just one long (all be it smooth) single stage.
Didn't seem so when I first shot a M&P-9, it seemed kind of spongy with an undefinable break. The SR-9 felt way better at the time. Either it needed serious breaking in or S&W upped their game...

Recoil was nice. Very manageable, the low bore-axis seems to really help. It was heavier than my 9mm but just as quick to reset. I'd compare it to my steel 1911, just a little "flippier".

The grip could stand to be a little smaller for my hands, but it had the medium swell installed and I tried out the display with the small swell and it felt pretty good.
Only downside I can see right now is the 10rnd mag. Glock and Springer get a few more rounds in their guns... Still higher than a 1911 with standard mags, though.

I was disappointed in the M&P9 when I was getting my Ruger SR9, last year. The trigger was meh and the pistols had no safeties. Plus the SR9 is just awesome, Ruger did a great job with it!
I'm glad I gave them another shot, though.

I also held and toyed around with the FN-FNS-9. It's a nice feeling gun, the grip is awesome and the trigger would be pretty sweet after break in. Slide is a bit chunky but that is forgivable. I wish they made a FNS-45 to compete with the M&P-45.

As is it's sweet, though. If they were out when I got my SR9 I may have gone FN instead...

Edited by Watcher, 13 October 2012 - 10:37 PM.

Tippmann Tech
Everything Rob "Tyger" Rubin
Alaska's Coolest Paintball Webcomic!

"The frightening thing about [humans] is their utterly mindless determination to do whatever mindless thing it is they are determined to do."
- Douglass Adams, RIP

-

Posted Image

#5114 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,931 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:55 PM

I won't be able to get out to the range to try out my Glock 23 until thursday. :(

#5115 canscom

canscom

Lest we forget the soldiers. who saved our country

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:59 PM

I won't be able to get out to the range to try out my Glock 23 until thursday. :(

I cant get to a range till March quit crying
Stop worrying about how you look, and start worrying about how you play. Get out on the field and play paintball the best you can, not stand at home in front of a mirror trying to figure out if your jersey matches your eyes.

#5116 dhunt91

dhunt91

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:34 PM

I went to the range today :) and yesterday :))))

#5117 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:21 PM

i am going to the range tomorrow to sight in my new optic... cant wait.... i need to put steel on target... and yeah, i have AP steel core rounds....
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5118 canscom

canscom

Lest we forget the soldiers. who saved our country

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:56 PM

I hate you both
Stop worrying about how you look, and start worrying about how you play. Get out on the field and play paintball the best you can, not stand at home in front of a mirror trying to figure out if your jersey matches your eyes.

#5119 dhunt91

dhunt91

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:08 PM

bring it on ud ate the times i was running on shotgun during our 3 gun practice :P
12 seconds flat on 10 targets plus a mandatory weak hand reload and a run to the starting spot

#5120 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:52 AM

i am just going to do a combination 25/50/100m sight in with my new glass, then see how accurate the mil dot hold overs are and shoot out to 500. with it.... i have some 62gr M855 Ball ammo, yeah, the same shit they issue to the military, complete with the steel core... so its ammo i am used to shooting, should be a fun day... hope there are others at the range... i like pissing people off with the bark of the SCAR and the concussion from the muzzle break....
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5121 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:17 PM

new optic....

Posted Image

Posted Image

i have it zeroed at 100m with 62gr Lake City M855 Ball ammo... and yes, its the real steel core stuff, i was pulling the steel cores out of the 1/4 thick steel plate i was shooting at... at 300 yards the M855 ball rounds were almost going all the way throught the steel plate... i knew what this ammo could do in a combat setting, but after seeing the damage to the ping targets, M855 ball ammo is what i am going to stock pile as my SHTF ammo....
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5122 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,931 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:24 PM

I'm surprised you even have gun ranges up there. :lol:

#5123 Corrupted355

Corrupted355

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:31 PM

M855 ball ao is what i am going to stock pile as my SHTF ammo....

Been doing that for years.
my markers

#5124 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:03 PM

not many places carry m855 ball... so when i find it, i buy it... and i found a place that only carries it in 500 round lots... and they give me 15% off for being prior military...

i love the m855 round, its what i was used to shooting in the amy, and its what my SCAR like the most so far... i think i am going to try some of the heavy 75gr BTHP match rounds... cuz so far, the heavier the bollet, the more my SCAR likes it
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5125 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,931 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:29 PM

Who here reloads .40 S&W? Picked up the casing from the first round I put through my new Glock 23, and I was wanting to make a keychain out of it. I was thinking take out the primer, drop in a metal rod to make a loop from the flash hole, and then stick a bullet in the top and crimp it so that it won't come out. But that requires a .40 cal bullet and a press to straighten out the casing, it's not perfectly round, and to insert the bullet and crimp the casing around it. So if someone has a .40 S&W bullet they'd be willing to put into the casing, and crimp it down, it'd be much appreciated. I'd pay for shipping to you and return shipping as well.

#5126 Corrupted355

Corrupted355

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:13 PM

I've done stuff like that before. I did it with 30-06, but I used a tiny wood screw eye bolt threading into the flash hole, then filled the rest of the primer pocket with silver solder. The problem with dropping a metal rod in there is that the flash hole is really tiny, and you need some seriously thin metal. I don't think a paper clip would even fit.

On a side note, I hung that 30-06 dummy round from my rear view mirror, and then got pulled over, which resulted in a very unhappy cop. I think dummy rounds are supposed to have a hole drilled in the side of the case to show there's no powder inside. You'd think an eye bolt through the primer pocket would do the trick, but bullets just scare most people.

I'll see what I can scrounge up.

Edited by Corrupted355, 18 October 2012 - 05:15 PM.

my markers

#5127 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,931 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:15 PM

Hmm, an eye hook that's then soldered in place sure might work even better. I haven't tried taking the primer out, so I have no idea how small the hole is. I thought it would be a decent size, but if it's tiny, then my idea won't work. Do you have dies for .40?

#5128 Corrupted355

Corrupted355

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:29 PM

Yup. Unless you're emotionally attached to that particular case, I can just use one of the ones I've got lying around this place. The only .40 slugs I have at the moment are 155gr FMJ, which are conical with a truncated nose rather than a smooth taper. My loaded rounds look a lot like this:

Posted Image

Also, I'm fairly certain I don't have any nickel plated cases. I'll have to check, but all I remember having is bare brass.

I'll have to be done in my spare time, though. They just put me on 6-12's at work, so I don't have much of a life right now. I basically eat, sleep, and go to work.
my markers

#5129 Corrupted355

Corrupted355

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:32 PM

I just found this while I was looking for that .40 picture above. Maybe now I'll have a use for all that 9mm brass I pick up by accident when I'm looking for my .40.

http://www.gunsnet.n...W-hollow-points
my markers

#5130 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:59 PM

i have to go to my local gun shop to see what they can get in for super heavy 5.56 bullets... i would love to start hand loading subsonic 5.56.... i've been looking into getting a surefire suppressor and muzzle break once i have some more cash in my bank account... and, if i get the .300 AAC conversion kit for my SCAR, i only need the .30cal can and 2 muzzle breaks for it... woudl be the perfect predator rifle...
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5131 Corrupted355

Corrupted355

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:25 PM

I've heard if 110gr 223, but I've never seen it. The heaviest I've seen in person is 80gr. Problem is, its still 22 cal, so unless you start using something really heavy like depleted uranium, you're bound by the COAL and the case volume. To get any heavier, the projectile has to get bigger, and you run it of room fast.
my markers

#5132 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,931 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:29 PM

Yup. Unless you're emotionally attached to that particular case, I can just use one of the ones I've got lying around this place. The only .40 slugs I have at the moment are 155gr FMJ, which are conical with a truncated nose rather than a smooth taper. My loaded rounds look a lot like this:

Posted Image

Also, I'm fairly certain I don't have any nickel plated cases. I'll have to check, but all I remember having is bare brass.

I'll have to be done in my spare time, though. They just put me on 6-12's at work, so I don't have much of a life right now. I basically eat, sleep, and go to work.

Yeah, I'd consider myself emotionally attached to the case I have, since it's the very first round ever fired through my Glock 23, and the very first round of ammunition ever fired through a gun I own, I'd like for it to be the actual case that is made into the keyring. And the flat/truncated bullet is just fine, since that's what it originally had. I'd save the original bullet too, if I knew where it was, and had the tools to dig it out of the backstop. :lol:

And it being done in your spare time is fine with me, just so long as you don't lose it. It's the only first case I have. :P Toss me your address in a PM and I'll get it shipped out to you at some point, probably next week sometime.

#5133 dhunt91

dhunt91

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:12 PM

I've heard if 110gr 223, but I've never seen it. The heaviest I've seen in person is 80gr. Problem is, its still 22 cal, so unless you start using something really heavy like depleted uranium, you're bound by the COAL and the case volume. To get any heavier, the projectile has to get bigger, and you run it of room fast.

I use hornady steel match 75 grain Boat Tails in my competition ar there great for the twist I have and longer range targets that are steel flashers

#5134 Corrupted355

Corrupted355

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:34 AM

Don't you need a slower twist for longer bullets? Or do I have it backwards....
my markers

#5135 dhunt91

dhunt91

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:25 AM

Generally the faster the twist rate the smaller the bullet
1:8 is faster than 1:10

i am by no means ann expert on it tho

#5136 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:33 AM

i've always understood it that the fast the twist rate the heavier the bullet you can shoot... the SCAR has a 1:7 twist, and so far the 62gr M855 ball ammo is what my SCAR likes the most....

what i really want to do is get the Hi Desert DOg .300AAC barrel for the SCAR and make it a dedicated suppressed barrel group... the 220gr .300BLK is pretty fucking quiet with the AAC suppressor
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5137 Corrupted355

Corrupted355

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:48 PM

I dunno. I've shot 300 BLK, and I think I like 6.5 Grendel better.
my markers

#5138 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:22 PM

the thing i like about .330blk is that it uses the 5.56 casing, which i know 6.8 doesnt use,and not sure if 6.5 does... but as far as an intermediate .30 cal round, i relly like .330blk... once its more available i may get the barrel conversion for my SCAR... one rifle, 2 calibers
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5139 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,931 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:13 PM

What's the general consensus on Fobus holsters? Are they good for the price? I just want something cheap I can use at the range and possibly use during amateur competitions, until I get the hang of things and can get money for more expensive holsters. I'm not planning on using it for concealed carry, or anything other than range/competition use. Bidding on one on eBay, but not planning on paying more than $20 for it.

It's the GL-2 ND.

Posted Image

Edited by TK-421, 19 October 2012 - 04:18 PM.

#5140 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:28 PM

spend a bit more and get a SERPA CQC form Balckhawk if they make one for your sidearm... only holsters i use are blackhawk
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5141 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,931 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:05 PM

Meh. I'm not looking to spend that much on a holster I'm only going to use at the range, and I don't want the extra retention of the locking mechanism.

#5142 Corrupted355

Corrupted355

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:12 PM

I use a Comp-Tac Minotaur Spartan. I'm real happy with it, but that's an IWB holster intended for CCW. In conjunction with a Kydex reinforced belt, that thing makes a 28oz revolver disappear on my hip.

Luckily for you, with that Glock you're not gonna have any trouble finding a holster that is custom fitted to your gun model. If you're looking for something just to take to the range, I recommend going to your local gun shop, where there will be a section for holsters. At a minimum, there will be two dummy guns; probably a blue plastic S&W revolver and a blue plastic Glock. Pick up the plastic Glock and try it out. If you like it, and it's within your budget, buy it and be happy.
my markers

#5143 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,931 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:43 PM

I would go to my local gun shop, but I'm trying to keep it cheap, and the cheapest holsters they have are around $40, which is about twice of what I want to pay. I'm not looking for an end all, be all holster, I just want something that will make do for the time being, until I can afford something I like better. I'd rather have a cheap holster on my hip that will do the job, instead of carrying my pistol around in my pocket. :lol: And I figure for $20 bucks, if I don't like it, I can pass it on to someone else who enjoys it more for about the same price. And then a dual mag holder will be $15, and another mag will be about $25.

#5144 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:08 PM

Blackhawk makes a nice nylon holster... good universal design and its got a mag pouch incorporated... if you are set on a kydex holster, then go fobus, you wont find a quality holster for any cheaper then that... if you can spend a bit more, even for the rang, a SERPA is the way to go... hell, even though i traded off my FsN i still have my SERPA holster for it in case i decide to get another one... and, if i go with another type of hand gun, i still have all the SERPS attachments for it so all i would need to do is get the holster itself...

but, for just range wear, i would go nylon
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5145 dhunt91

dhunt91

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:58 PM

If your looking for a competitiong holster check out the stuff made by safariland as well as there els system
as for the serpa do NOT get one for competition many do not allow them anymore.

#5146 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:27 PM

why would a SERPA holster be banned from comps?
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5147 Corrupted355

Corrupted355

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:28 PM

I'm gonna go ahead and be a bit of a troll. You shoulda bought a Springfield XDm. It comes with a decent OWB holster.
my markers

#5148 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,931 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:53 PM

I'm a Glock fanboy, because I can be. :P

Besides, the Springfield was like $100 more than my Glock.

#5149 dhunt91

dhunt91

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:03 PM

why would a SERPA holster be banned from comps?

It has something to do with the push button. and how if your not carefully you can activate the trigger if it is light enough

http://www.mdshooter...ead.php?t=63657
heres a link as to why.

#5150 Corrupted355

Corrupted355

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:07 AM

I'm a Glock fanboy, because I can be. :P

Besides, the Springfield was like $100 more than my Glock.

Then Imma go ahead and counter you with some XD fanboy-ism.

The Spingfield may be more expensive, but it's easily $100 nicer too. And it comes with some legitimately decent accessories: a two mag belt holster, a decent range holster, and a pretty nice mag loader, all in a hard plastic, foam lined case. In addition, the mag holster has picatinny rails that hold onto the back side of the mag loader, which is neat. The case itself is also festooned with picatinny rails. I dunno what those are for, but I'm calling it a plus anyway.

Your Glock, on the other hand, came sliding around in a plastic box with that same crappy gun lock that comes with every new gun.
my markers

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users