5998 replies to this topic

#5151 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

TechPB's Resident Angry Veteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:58 AM

plus, a Glock isnt a true striker fired gun, al least last i checked they were not....

TK, everyone has their own taste in fire arms... but i have to side with Corrupted on this one, the XD line is just better, lol
Shocktech Aftershock SFL team cocker, serial number 1
Mini Orracle pump, Eclipse internals, Sanchez Machine pump kit and grip frame
Mossberg 500 ZMB

OSG Paintball biggest and best field in NH... show them some love

"I wish I had 2000 feet. So i could shove 500 of them up each of your asses!!!!" Red Foreman

#5152 canscom

canscom

Lest we forget the soldiers. who saved our country

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:41 PM

So because a few dumbasses shot them selfs the SERPA it is banned sounds like those people need to practice drawing their gun more
Stop worrying about how you look, and start worrying about how you play. Get out on the field and play paintball the best you can, not stand at home in front of a mirror trying to figure out if your jersey matches your eyes.

#5153 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:43 PM

i still have my FsN SERPA holster.... and the only holsters i had for my M9 in the Army were SERPA drop legs... if you shoot yourself in the leg or hip because of a SERPA holster, its the shooter, not the hardware... if you are not trained in the proper use of said hardware you have 2 options... get trained, or dont fucking buy it...
Mossberg 500 ZMB

"I wish I had 2000 feet. So i could shove 500 of them up each of your asses!!!!" Red Foreman

#5154 dhunt91

dhunt91

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:14 PM

i still have my FsN SERPA holster.... and the only holsters i had for my M9 in the Army were SERPA drop legs... if you shoot yourself in the leg or hip because of a SERPA holster, its the shooter, not the hardware... if you are not trained in the proper use of said hardware you have 2 options... get trained, or dont fucking buy it...

The sport is first and formost about saftey and while I agree with you 100% as a match director you put the saftey of others above the loss of a competitor because of a product that can possible set a gun of if miss used.

#5155 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:56 PM

but, that wasnt the product, that was the operator... i have no idea what these peopls skills are with SERPA holsters, or what their training is, but i've got plenty of real world combat experience with them... and they are not unsafe holsters as long as you train with them
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5156 TK-421

TK-421

Me So Horny! :D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,899 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:01 PM

My glock came in a nice case lined with nice foam, two magazines, a magazine loader, and that crappy gun lock. For that extra $100, I could buy a dual mag holder, a range holster and two or three boxes of ammo. Plus, the Glock was in my price range, the Springfield wasn't. So nicer or not, I couldn't afford it at the time. :P

Will I pick one up? Yes, eventually. But, my Glock will do everything I want it to, and it will do it without any issues, and it will do it just as well as the Springfield, if not better.

#5157 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,899 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:03 PM

but, that wasnt the product, that was the operator... i have no idea what these peopls skills are with SERPA holsters, or what their training is, but i've got plenty of real world combat experience with them... and they are not unsafe holsters as long as you train with them

Basically, it comes down to "Shit happens." Apparently there have been a few police officers who have shot themselves using that holster, and a few very experienced shooters too, from what I've gathered. It's not only morons who shouldn't be around firearms, it's experienced gun enthusiasts as well.

#5158 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:32 PM

idiots will be idiots...
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5159 Watcher

Watcher

AKA CavDragoneb12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:36 AM

Allow me to counter Corrupted and TK with some Ruger fanboyism and the SR9.

Comparing the base model SR9 to the base XD and the Glock17 (all in 9mm for this example), the Ruger at $400 is $80 and $100 cheaper respectively than the competition, comes with 2 mags, has the same capacity per mag as the Glock and is +1 compared to the XD, it has a more comfortable grip (in my opinion), the backstrap is reversible making different profiles while the XD and any non-Gen4 Glock isn't, it has the same style trigger and striker mechanism as the Glock and XDs, is easy to take down, the slide rails are easily replaceable if necessary, there are quite a few aftermarket parts, and it comes standard with a thumb safety and if you don't like that then don't use it because it still has the trigger safety system. The only thing it lacks is a padded case, they give you a molded case which works well and is compact but doesn't have a lot of extra room for goodies.

Most important of all, it is 100% MADE IN THE USA and on top of that it holds a LIFETIME WARRANTY (and Ruger has possibly the best customer service of any firearms company, period). Glock is Austrian with a warranty that I guess is lifetime if you register the handgun with them (they don't express what type of warranty it is on the website at all), and the XD is Croatian made with a limited warranty that is non-transferable. Sucks.
Ruger is lifetime warranty for life. No questions asked, even if the firearm changes hands.

I'd feel more confident in Ruger than in Glock or Springfield as a company, I'd feel more pride of ownership in the Ruger being a domestic company, and with the money saved I could buy a third magazine, a mag holder, a holster, and a padded case.
Oh wait... I DID!!!

... Not entirely true, I spent the mag holder money on a better holster :P

Even the S&W M&P9 is a good deal in my opinion. You get 2 mags with 17+1 capacity, you get a decent case, you get a domestically produced and lifetime warranted handgun (all be it non-transferable), it has an optional thumb safety, it has interchangeable grip back-straps, and it is the same price as the XD.
I think it is a better gun than both the Springer and the Glock.

FNH's FNS is pretty good, too. Initially the $600 tag seems high but when you consider that it comes with 3 mags and Nite-Sites it's actually a pretty comparably priced handgun.

I'd be happy with either of these three: Ruger, Smith, FN. All three are USA made from awesome companies and represent good value. Ruger has the best value, FN has the track-record and features, and Smith holds the middle ground.

Fanboyism aside, Blackhawk SERPA holsters are awesome and can be had for cheaper than you think. A "sporting" configured OWB holster, shaped specifically to your gun with a push-button retention system that is both safe, ergonomic, and reliable, can be had at basically anywhere they sell firearms for $35.
Even with the mentality that cheaper is better, $15 isn't much money in the long run, and a nylon "universal" holster with some crappy side-release buckle for a retention system is going to end up in a drawer after a short time of use because it is so junky and not user friendly. Universal holsters, for lack of a better term, suck. The handguns usually flop around inside, the retention mechanism is sub par and borderline require two hands to draw/holster, and they usually don't come with a belt or clip or any system to wear it so you have to make sure you have the proper equipment. For myself I even went the extra mile and got a universal holster with a fully adjustable wrap-around design you can shape to your handgun with a thumb-break style retention strap. It is a lot nicer than most universal holsters, and it cost a little bit more, but after I got my Blackhawk guess where the universal one stays... A drawer...

The Blackhawks hold the weapon snug, they release with the touch of a button, they accept smoothly with an audible "click", and they come with a paddle you can simply slip into your waistband and be done with.

I can appreciate the whole "budget shooter" crisis. But sometimes waiting the extra few days to save up $10 for the better product is well worth it in the long run (and cheaper, too! Why spend $20 on a holster that will end up under the bed once you get your $35 one, if you can just spend $35 to begin with and use it all the time?).

Edited by Watcher, 21 October 2012 - 02:42 AM.

Tippmann Tech
Everything Rob "Tyger" Rubin
Alaska's Coolest Paintball Webcomic!

"The frightening thing about [humans] is their utterly mindless determination to do whatever mindless thing it is they are determined to do."
- Douglass Adams, RIP

-

Posted Image

#5160 Corrupted355

Corrupted355

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:03 AM

I have to agree. If I were to do it again, I would have strongly consider the Ruger SR40 over the XD. The trigger is nicer, and I like the sights better. And the Made in USA thing tickles my patriot bone.
"Speak softly and carry a big stick"
my markers

#5161 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,899 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:59 AM

I'm not one of those Made in the USA fanboys when it comes to firearms. I like diversity, and military firearms, and that means I have to get firearms from different countries. And it doesn't bother me that my Glock is made in Austria, it's where Glocks are made, it's extremely proven, and I like it a lot.

As for holsters, I'm more than happy to have a holster without a thumb break or a retention button. That's what I like about the Crossbreed holsters. You put the firearm in, you pull it out. No needing to worry about a button getting jammed and not functioning, or having to remember to undo the thumb break. It's like a Glock, it will work every time. If you want your firearm out, you don't have to worry about whether or not the holster will, because that firearm is coming out. Same thing with a Glock, I know that it will function properly every single time I pull that trigger.

I think I'll stick with non-retention kydex holsters. I like the sound that is made when a firearm moves in and out of a kydex holster, and I have no need for retention. As long as the firearm won't fall out if I bend over or am crawling around, that's what matters. You don't need retention when you're concealed carrying, because if you're doing it properly, nobody else will have any idea that you're carrying, so you don't have to worry about someone trying to take your firearm.

#5162 dhunt91

dhunt91

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:12 AM

I'm not one of those Made in the USA fanboys when it comes to firearms. I like diversity, and military firearms, and that means I have to get firearms from different countries. And it doesn't bother me that my Glock is made in Austria, it's where Glocks are made, it's extremely proven, and I like it a lot.

As for holsters, I'm more than happy to have a holster without a thumb break or a retention button. That's what I like about the Crossbreed holsters. You put the firearm in, you pull it out. No needing to worry about a button getting jammed and not functioning, or having to remember to undo the thumb break. It's like a Glock, it will work every time. If you want your firearm out, you don't have to worry about whether or not the holster will, because that firearm is coming out. Same thing with a Glock, I know that it will function properly every single time I pull that trigger.

I think I'll stick with non-retention kydex holsters. I like the sound that is made when a firearm moves in and out of a kydex holster, and I have no need for retention. As long as the firearm won't fall out if I bend over or am crawling around, that's what matters. You don't need retention when you're concealed carrying, because if you're doing it properly, nobody else will have any idea that you're carrying, so you don't have to worry about someone trying to take your firearm.

For competition in most handgun or 3gun your pistol holster must have a retention dent at least because of movement

#5163 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,899 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:13 AM

Well of course I want enough retention for it to stay in there, I just don't want a loop going over the top or a button I have to push to release it. I just want to be able to grab it and go without worrying about anything else. But I do think three gun competitions would be fun, once I get a shotgun and an AR.

#5164 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:15 PM

i wont use a holster that doesnt have some sort of locking retention device... i've seen too many times people in the military use holsters that they bought at the PX because they didnt like the drop leg the Army issued them (they make your outer thigh really hot when worn in the desert). the end result? their M9 ended up in the shit hole of a porta-john out in the field when they went to pull down their pants to take a dump... or they dropped it out of the holster at the chow hall sitting down and "lost" their weapon...

when i was in the field, i have the drop leg holster... when i was on post, i had a concealed nylon holster on a pistol belt and kept it in the small of my back... the nylon holster had a nice quick release strap, if i pulled hard enough on the gun the strap would release and my pistol would come free... yet, i never once lost my gun or dropped my gun with either holster...

is this a mindset a civilian going to the range should have? yes and no... if you dont want a retention device, then cool, dont get a holster with a retention device... but i highly advice against it... take your time, got o your local shop or shops and try out as many holsters as you can... as like most anything in th world, they are personal preference... just because a SERPA works for me doesnt mean it will work for you... but, regardless of what holster you get, train with it, know it, and get comfortable with it.... when i first got my SERPA in afghanistan i did dry runs with it in my room... take the mag out, clear the weapon... then draw the weapon repeatedly until comfortable... i must have done a few hundred dry runs with it before i was truely comfortable, not working with a SERPA holster is second nature to me...
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5165 Watcher

Watcher

AKA CavDragoneb12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:49 PM

I'm not necessarily either. I like diversity as well and I do like my Russian military rifles quite a bit. But when it comes to a firearm that will be used primarily for self defense I can't help but think domestic. Especially with our country in the state that it is in, I'll encourage everyone to support domestic business. Especially if it is highly competitive to a foreign product.

I have a Brazilian 1911, didn't think twice about it when I got it. Why? Because for the price the deal was amazing, noone else (especially domestic) could come near the value! Now that Ruger has their SR1911 out and it is going for around the same price as the current Taurus offerings, well lets just say that if it had been out 2 years ago I wouldn't have a Brazilian made firearm in my house.

Glock is good, no doubt about it. But when a similarly priced, highly competitive, and domestically produced firearm is available I think you're a fool to go otherwise without a very good reason.

I want it to compete because it's very ergonomic. Cool! I want it to mess around with in the backyard and pop squirrels. Nice! I want it because it's weird/cool. Sweet!
I want it to defend my life and liberty. Woah there! Now we are going toe to toe. Call me a hard patriot but I think the proper way to defend the homeland is with homeland product if possible. My Brazilian .45 worked for me because the cheapest domestic .45 available at the time was twice the price and I simply couldn't afford it.

Now I am severely considering selling it and buying that Ruger SR1911. It was my first handgun ever, my first firearm ever shot, and I bought it on my 21st birthday. Yet it means so much more to me to support domestic firearm production that I'd trade it for a Ruger in a heartbeat.

Retention is not so that someone else can't take your firearm from your holster, retention is made with the singular purpose of simply retaining the firearm until ready to present.

The seatbelt isn't there to prevent someone from carjacking you. It's to prevent you from leaving the vehicle by any means other than your own.

I 100% believe in an "active" retention system in a holster, and along with this is the idea that training is a requirement of proper operation. I don't know why training WOULDN'T be a requirement of proper operation in anything.

The lack of a security feature is not an excuse for lack of practice. If the reason for a Glock having no thumb safety is because too many people forget to disengage it, the solution is not to remove it but to promote proper training so people naturally use it.

No offense but I think people who think otherwise are naive.

The easiest active-retention holster to use/train/learn and the most natural one to use, in my opinion, is the SERPA. You don't think about push the button to release the gun, you think grab the gun and your hand position naturally touches the release.

Now I'm not trying to force my way or be condescending, I'm just trying to offer more information and a different point of view. Ultimately if you don't want an active retention system on your holster and you don't want to buy domestic then it's your decision. I'm just trying to prevent an uneducated mistake from thinking you will be fumbling around with a latch when you really won't be, and I'm trying to give you a guilt trip for not supporting local business B)

Tippmann Tech

"The frightening thing about [humans] is their utterly mindless determination to do whatever mindless thing it is they are determined to do."
- Douglass Adams, RIP

-

Posted Image

#5166 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:02 PM

the best part of the retention system with the SERPA holster is that the release button is int he natural position... go to grab your sidearm and yoru finger naturally falls above where the trigger would be, which is where the release button is... its very easy and natural, even with big hands or small hands... given the amount of use i've given SERPA holsters over seas, i find it hard to believe that someone could shoot themselves int he leg using one unless they are pushing themselves beyond their skill level
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5167 canscom

canscom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:56 PM

the best part of the retention system with the SERPA holster is that the release button is int he natural position... go to grab your sidearm and yoru finger naturally falls above where the trigger would be, which is where the release button is... its very easy and natural, even with big hands or small hands... given the amount of use i've given SERPA holsters over seas, i find it hard to believe that someone could shoot themselves int he leg using one unless they are pushing themselves beyond their skill level

Which they probable were
Stop worrying about how you look, and start worrying about how you play. Get out on the field and play paintball the best you can, not stand at home in front of a mirror trying to figure out if your jersey matches your eyes.

#5168 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:01 PM

went to my privte shooting sport yesterday to take my buddy and his wife shooting.... she is former Air Guard... hasnt shot an AR in years... and yet, she was still a better shot then her hubby with my SCAR... at 125ft~ she shot a 20gram CO2 tank... we never found the tank....
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5169 dhunt91

dhunt91

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:20 PM

Which they probable were

Which is why its is a competition the whole point is to push yourself as far past your limits as possible. Hence things tend to happen.

#5170 Watcher

Watcher

AKA CavDragoneb12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:02 PM

Yeah, but noone is supposed to be pushing themselves to where it puts safety at risk.

The way they claim people are shooting themselves with SERPA holsters is the shooter is so focused on the fast shot that their finger is hooked when pressing the release button and once the weapon comes out a bit their finger slips onto the trigger and fires it.
I've tried to replicate it and it is actually kind of difficult to make happen. But in reality this could happen on any holster. The button being there just leaves an excuse in my opinion.

Tippmann Tech

- Douglass Adams, RIP

-

Posted Image

#5171 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:11 PM

someon high up in the comp world got all but hurt over something with the SERPA and has pushed for its banning... at least thats what this scrams to me... if the SERPA was so unsafe there would be more officers with holes in their legs, and we just dont see that... 90% of the soldiers i met/ran into in a combat zones that had am m9 also had a SERPA, because thats what the Army issues out... if people were shooting themselves becuase of the holster, then theunits would ban the use of said holster...

i jsut find it hard to believe that anyone with training and experience would be dumb enough to push their skills/abilities with a new piece of hardware without actually taking the time to train with and get used to said piece of hardware... a singel day at the range and you can be proficient enough to know that the holster lock wont disengage if you pull up on the pistol.... and that clawing the button isnt the best way to go about it
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5172 canscom

canscom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:56 PM

So looking for a new rifle it needs to be in .308 be left handed light and cheaper the better optional camo finish railed reciever and forend for a bipod

#5173 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:51 AM

So looking for a new rifle it needs to be in .308 be left handed light and cheaper the better optional camo finish railed receiver and forend for a bipod

i've heard alot of good about the FN AR, but its right hand eject semi auto... based off the BAR rifle...

i am in the process of updating my SCAR... i am going to ditch the grip pod in favor of a Magpul AFG, then putting a Versa Pod up front... eventually i will get the PWS rail extension for more rail space... if GG&G ever released their XDS 2 bi-pod with a QD mount i will drop the coin for that... also looking for a new optic mounting base, thinking about going with the ADM SCAR SSR mount... the issue i have right now is that even with the comb in the lowest position i still find my head is uncomfortable high for the optic... plus, i want to be able to pull the optic back over the rear BUIS to get a better position on the rifle.. i feel like i am having to lean too far into the rifle to get a good shot... i am also looking at new weapon mounted lights... i like my SureFire, and it was free, but i would like something smaller, lighter, with a higher lumen output, yet still has the pressure switch... i like the SureFire X300, but its kinda pricey with the pressure switch... will most likely end up getting it anyway... witht eh PWS fore end extender i can mount the light on the top rail ahead of the front sight and not have it be in the way of my optic, which i like
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5174 canscom

canscom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:50 PM

The FNAR is on the no go list for hunting

#5175 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:14 PM

thats sucks... FN guarantees the rifles sub MOA accuracy form the factory.... its on my list of rifles to buy
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5176 canscom

canscom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:37 PM

I would like to buy one but I want to get back into hunting I think I'll either go with a Savage or Ruger bolt gun in .308

#5177 Panda Man

Panda Man

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:58 PM

one of the best if not, thee best review of a Soviet Era rifle I have ever watched.

Edited by Panda Man, 29 October 2012 - 04:59 PM.

#5178 WeAre138

WeAre138

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:57 AM

I could go on forever about the things Ive had and traded off or sold off. Ive become a value firearms kind of guy lately. A like alot of bang for the buck. (pardon the pun)

Heres what Ive gotten into this year.

Turn-in Remington 870 Police Magnum. Came with all the goodies you see except the buckshot.
Posted Image

Ruger p95. GREAT budget 9mm. Not the prettiest, but its a tank that has run flawlessly.
Posted Image

Tacticool Ruger 10/22. The zombie gun. Everyone needs a 10/22 build for giggles. I threw a Bushnell TRS25 red dot on it for optics. Great red dot for the price.
Posted Image

#5179 WeAre138

WeAre138

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:01 AM

I'm gonna go ahead and be a bit of a troll. You shoulda bought a Springfield XDm. It comes with a decent OWB holster.

Really? I find the holsters that come with XD pistols to be quite crappy. Id rather they left out the holster and the mag pouch, and slimmed down the carry case. Then whack about 25 bucks off the price. Then Id be sold.

I would like to buy one but I want to get back into hunting I think I'll either go with a Savage or Ruger bolt gun in .308

Im a Ruger fan boy, but I gotta say those savage accutriggers are NICE. Savage makes a damn good rifle for the price.

#5180 Panda Man

Panda Man

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:43 AM

yet the new Ruger American rifle kicks the hell out of the Savage Axis.

Also, I'm looking into getting a Marlin 1895GBL in 45/70, that round is so great to shoot, only problem is finding ammo for it locally, internet has plenty but not where I shop.

#5181 WeAre138

WeAre138

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:45 AM

Yea those Americans are nice as well. Its on my list of wants. But really what isnt on my list of wants?

Edited by WeAre138, 30 October 2012 - 03:45 AM.

#5182 Corrupted355

Corrupted355

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:21 AM

What isn't on the list? A Boberg XR9-S. Or any more new S&W revolvers; the quality just doesn't stand up to what Ruger is putting out these days.
my markers

#5183 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:26 AM

yet the new Ruger American rifle kicks the hell out of the Savage Axis.

Also, I'm looking into getting a Marlin 1895GBL in 45/70, that round is so great to shoot, only problem is finding ammo for it locally, internet has plenty but not where I shop.

if you get a marlin, do not, i repeat, DO NOT get a new marlin.... unless you know 100% that the marlin in yoru shop was made in the old marlin factory before they were bought out by remington/freedom arms, then you are better off avoiding them.... marlin quality went drastically downhill once they started making them at the remington plant... and yes, i have known people personally that have had fucked up rifles, even recently, from marlin... hell, the shop i got my SCAR 16 from had an 1895SBL on the wall... i asked to take a look at it... first thing i noticed is the front sight was bent... turns out the barrel was over turned by 8*... i've also felt the shitty finish quality on the action... if you tighten up the receiver screws like any normal person would, you simply cant work the action... the inside of the receiver is all gritty and full of tooling marks, not smoothed out and polished like its supposed to be...

i used to have a marlin model 1895 and i loved that gun... 45-70 was a fun round to shoot... if the marlin quality was still there, i would go pick up an 1895SBL right now... but, since remington owns them, i wont touch them... same goes for bushmaster...
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5184 WeAre138

WeAre138

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:38 PM

You're not the first person Ive heard say bad things about the newer marlins. Its a shame to. Its such an American classic. I nearly got a 336 made in 1983 I believe earlier this year. Wish I would have grabbed it up.

I suppose Im also a bit lucky that all my Remington shotguns are ATLEAST 15 years old. The QC does seem to be dipping as of late. The same can be said for alot of companies though.

Edited by WeAre138, 30 October 2012 - 02:40 PM.

#5185 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:57 PM

i stick with what i know and what i like.... and thats FN... if i get a bolt gun, its going to be an FN... my next hand gun, FNX-45 tactical... i have yet to see a gun from FN that had problems that were not fixed or replaced free of charge... FNH USA,in my opinion, is one of the single best firearms companies to buy from... if/when i have the mony for one, i want a SCAR 17s.....
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5186 canscom

canscom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:18 PM

Scope Rifle

#5187 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:25 PM

Vortex makes a good optic for the price...
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5188 Panda Man

Panda Man

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:30 PM

I did notice a Marlin Guide gun my local shop got in felt very "strange" in the Action. It almost felt like the bolt wasn't machined right in the receiver and felt like it was binding when it would cycle, I thought this could just be needed of some lube and "break in time"

But I'm also considering a Henry lever action in 45/70, I just don't like how Henry's are not fed through the Receiver and are fed through the top of the tube.

#5189 WeAre138

WeAre138

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:34 PM

Ive yet to hear anyone say anything bad about a Henry rifle. For what thats worth.

#5190 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:50 PM

get an old marlin if you can
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5191 Watcher

Watcher

AKA CavDragoneb12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:52 PM

Got cash down on my Ruger SR1911! I finally found one at a shop about an hour drive from me, it has been about a year and a half before anyone got them locally. I couldn't pass it up, but that pretty much means I have to sell my Taurus PT1911 to pay for it :(

It isn't that bad, though, because I like the Ruger a lot better. I'd like to keep the Taurus but I won't lose sleep if it leaves.

Edited by Watcher, 01 November 2012 - 10:57 PM.

Tippmann Tech

- Douglass Adams, RIP

-

Posted Image

#5192 Corrupted355

Corrupted355

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:55 PM

I don't sell guns. If I can't afford a new one outright, I don't get it.
my markers

#5193 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:21 PM

once i get the money for it i am building up an SBR ar-15....more for shits and gigs then anything, but, if i can convince my range to open up a combat shooting course it will be a blast... i know a lot of people that have SBRs in this area that wish they had a combat shooting course close by...
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5194 Watcher

Watcher

AKA CavDragoneb12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:26 PM

I don't sell guns. If I can't afford a new one outright, I don't get it.

Usually I agree. But I've been seeking a Ruger since they came out...

That and as an improved weapon I don't see how a trade can be frowned upon.
Trade my 1911 for a Sig? No.
Trade my 1911 for a 1911? Sure. It is basically an upgrade.

I upgraded my Savage MkII for a Ruger 77/22... I don't feel bad losing it, but I do miss it sometimes. Then I remember how awesome that varminter is and all is well.

Tippmann Tech

- Douglass Adams, RIP

-

Posted Image

#5195 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:02 AM

i traded my 5.7 for the glass i have on my SCAR now... and while i agree, i normally dont like to sell my guns unless there is a damn good reason, like losing my home/apartment or not being able to feed myself... but this time around, i couldnt find ammo for the 5.7 and when i did it was absurdly priced so i count afford it... well, if i cant afford to shoot the gun, why keep it around, its an 1100 dollar paper weight...
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5196 Panda Man

Panda Man

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:15 PM

OEF

you did bring up a good point, why buy a Rifle that takes a special caliber that you can't afford.. $1 per shot for me is the absolute max I will pay per round, if it costs more then that I wont buy it. It's why I love shooting my
ruger 10/22 and Mossberg 590 spend all day out there shooting at steel plates and clay for hours and have a hell of a good time and at the end of the day spend $25-$50.

While buying .338 Lapua, or Special Calibers gets very expensive hell even the prices of NATO rounds are getting expensive.

#5197 canscom

canscom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:25 PM

I traded a 870 for a Mossberg 500

#5198 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,899 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:19 PM

Which one do you like better Canscom? If my next purchase isn't a Mosin, it's going to be a shotgun. I want one with an 8 round magazine, it will be a range gun, a home defense gun once I find a good place to defend from, and it will be a shit hits the fan kind of gun.

#5199 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:36 PM

i had a mossberg 500 SP and i loved it... great little shot gun.... as far as SHTF guns guns though, not my first choice... i would rather have something with a larger magazine capacity... my SCAR is my go to gun if shit hits the fan... its reliable, compact with the stock folded, i can take any game from a deer down to a squirrel, i can hit a man sized target out to 550 yard with it if i need to, and i can carry a shit ton of ammo in my go bag compared to a .308 or other AR type rifle...not to mention, bulk 5.56 is still one of the cheapest bulk center fire cartridges out there.

Edited by OEFVeteran, 02 November 2012 - 09:38 PM.

Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5200 canscom

canscom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:36 PM

TK. I like the Mossberg more Ive heard stories of remington telling people your SOL if something breaks pay to fix it or here is your fuck off cupcake

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users