5998 replies to this topic

#5201 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

TechPB's Resident Angry Veteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:50 PM

remington is jsut a company i avoid all together... they used to make a great gun... and in some aspects still do... but the company itself just sucks
Shocktech Aftershock SFL team cocker, serial number 1
Mini Orracle pump, Eclipse internals, Sanchez Machine pump kit and grip frame
Mossberg 500 ZMB

OSG Paintball biggest and best field in NH... show them some love

"I wish I had 2000 feet. So i could shove 500 of them up each of your asses!!!!" Red Foreman

#5202 TK-421

TK-421

Me So Horny! :D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,931 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:48 PM

Which one is harder to take apart?

#5203 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:45 PM

all i ever did with my mossberg 50o was take the barrel off and clean it
Mossberg 500 ZMB

"I wish I had 2000 feet. So i could shove 500 of them up each of your asses!!!!" Red Foreman

#5204 Watcher

Watcher

AKA CavDragoneb12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

As far as receiver goes I'm sure any pump-action will be similar to take apart. Mossberg makes it a little easier since the whole trigger group comes out as an assembly. I've never gone so far on my 590A1, though.

As far as Mossberg vs Remington, the 590 will have at least two things that the 870 doesn't have:
1) An official U.S. Marine Corps thumbs up of approval.
2) A company that will stand behind it's product.

As far as I understand it, the Mossberg 590A1 is the ONLY pump action shotgun to meet the MC's requirements. Also, I've heard reports of Mossberg going well beyond their advertised "10 year warranty", while Remington seldom addresses the problem at hand...

Mossberg's 500 series also has a lot of other things going for it. It has an ambi-friendly safety, the barrels are very interchangeable, there is no feed gate over the magazine so all you do is put the shell there and push it in (no getting gloves caught), also because of the lack of a feed gate you can administratively unload the magazine by depressing the interrupter, the 590A1 with the 20" barrel has industry leading 8+1 capacity, on said model you can attach a bayonet (say what!?), the lock for the pump is in a convenient location behind the trigger guard so you can clear the chamber without having to break grip (useful if you want to change load from, say, buck to slug), the receiver comes factory tapped for a picatinny rail for an optic, AND it's cheaper than the 870!

The Remington 870 may remain one of the most popular firearms in the country, but I feel it is from track record alone. The Mossberg has it beaten down...

Tippmann Tech
Everything Rob "Tyger" Rubin
Alaska's Coolest Paintball Webcomic!

"The frightening thing about [humans] is their utterly mindless determination to do whatever mindless thing it is they are determined to do."
- Douglass Adams, RIP

-

Posted Image

#5205 canscom

canscom

Lest we forget the soldiers. who saved our country

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:26 PM

Ditto what everyone has said plus it works in the snow and if you shoot like me left handed with anything longer then a handgun the ambi safety is the best thing since sliced bread
Stop worrying about how you look, and start worrying about how you play. Get out on the field and play paintball the best you can, not stand at home in front of a mirror trying to figure out if your jersey matches your eyes.

#5206 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:13 PM

we had short barrel (10 inch barrel) mossberg 500's in afghanistan that we used for breach guns and specialty loads... they were fun to shoot and my god they could take a beating... i think the most we did with out shotguns to clean them was to blow them off with an air compressor and run a rag down the barrel...
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5207 Watcher

Watcher

AKA CavDragoneb12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:05 PM

This video pretty much sums up how awesome the 590A1 is...

Edited by Watcher, 03 November 2012 - 08:07 PM.

Tippmann Tech

"The frightening thing about [humans] is their utterly mindless determination to do whatever mindless thing it is they are determined to do."
- Douglass Adams, RIP

-

Posted Image

#5208 Corrupted355

Corrupted355

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:44 AM

I own both an 18" 870 and a 20" 500. The Mossy probably has a tiny little edge on the Remington because of a couple minor features. However, if you ever feel the need to disassemble it to the point where you pull out the bolt, the 870 is way easier to get back together. Also, if you decide that you like the idea of having a pistol grip, even if it's connected to a stock, then you have to remove your trigger hand from it's ready position to use the safety. And if you're really worried about the elevator on the 870 being in the way, then just load the thing with the slide back. This will allow you to push the elevator up when you load the first cartridge, and it will stay there until you move the slide forward.

Truth be told, unless you're in the military and you have a very specific set of circumstances that require a very specific weapon, either of these shotguns will work just fine for you. Most of us just use these "tactical" shotguns for home defense, which only requires that it makes the scary slide racking sound and that it will fire a shotgun shell. Yes, the 500 may have some neat little features, but these are just pissant little things that fanboys love to harp on. You will never notice them if you have to use the gun for it's intended purposes. You want the God's honest truth? Get whichever one you can get cheaper. You'll be happy either way.
"Speak softly and carry a big stick"
my markers

#5209 Panda Man

Panda Man

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:19 PM

After looking at both guns along time, from the 870 Express Tactical to the 590A1 and I have to say that the 590A1 is much more user friendly. when it comes to completely disassembling the 870, there are some parts mostly in the bolt are that requires special tooling to take apart. Also with how great your guns come back from Remington these past few years they fix your shotgun but create a whole new problem in the process.

Edited by Panda Man, 04 November 2012 - 12:21 PM.

#5210 Corrupted355

Corrupted355

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:42 PM

First problem, you're comparing the 590A1, a $500 gun, to a 870 Express, which is a $350 gun. Of course the Mossy is gonna have the edge. And honestly, how the hell are you gonna break a pump shotgun shy of using it for a crowbar? You shouldn't ever need to do anything but run a bore snake down it. If you're really a stickler, then take the barrel off from time to time.
my markers

#5211 The_Economist

The_Economist

It's business time.

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:54 AM

I have nothing but good things to say about my Mossberg 500. Of course, the 870's I have used have been just fine as well. I do like the position of the safety on the Mossberg a little better, but like someone else said, go with the one you can get the best price on. I would recommend that you get a barrel combo if you can, so that you can shoot clays or hunt AND have a home defense setup with the same shotgun.

#5212 Watcher

Watcher

AKA CavDragoneb12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:20 PM

I would recommend that you get a barrel combo if you can, so that you can shoot clays or hunt AND have a home defense setup with the same shotgun.

+1

I never ended up doing this myself because in the long run I'd just rather have more guns :P

But it is a great idea and I'll advise anyone on a budget to do it.

Tippmann Tech

- Douglass Adams, RIP

-

Posted Image

#5213 dhunt91

dhunt91

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:49 PM

wow what happend here?

#5214 Watcher

Watcher

AKA CavDragoneb12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:09 PM

Apparently there was a database error? Not sure, exactly.

Anyways, got my Ruger SR1911 last Friday! :lol: B) :D :P ^_^ :wub: :tup:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here it is along with my Taurus PT1911...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Which is sadly sold as of Monday :(

My boss bought it off of me, so I do have the option of buying it back if I ever miss it enough. I do wish I was able to keep both, however.

Now, I'm going to install a full-length guide-rod in the Ruger, get some new grips for it (perhaps more than one set), and hook it up with a custom front-strap treatment.

I'm going to cut the traction myself, but I haven't settled on a design yet. Working in a machine shop means I have access to some serious cutting equipment. I can do something totally unique, but it's easier to take metal away than put it back :rolleyes: so I want to be 100% sure I want it a certain way before I commit to putting the frame in a mill...

Tippmann Tech

- Douglass Adams, RIP

-

Posted Image

#5215 canscom

canscom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:49 PM

Found a new rifle in .303 just need money
Stop worrying about how you look, and start worrying about how you play. Get out on the field and play paintball the best you can, not stand at home in front of a mirror trying to figure out if your jersey matches your eyes.

#5216 WeAre138

WeAre138

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:35 AM

NICE SR1911! Just brought home my third ruger this year. Had to get another 10/22 so my other one could have a friend.

BTW Did anyone else have to completely re-register their account?

What brand and model you looking at?

Edited by WeAre138, 15 November 2012 - 12:35 AM.

#5217 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:51 AM

well, with this new job i have there are 2 new toys i have on my list... a nice folded steel or damascus steel katana.... and an FN FS2k..... the SCAR is going to remain set up as my SPR, only change i am going to do is a new muzzle break, PWS fore end extension and a GG&G XDS2 bipod.... the FS2K will be set up as my CQB rifle with an AimPoint CompM4s optic and an AFG2 up front, mainly becuase i cant stand the look of that rounded out stock grip they come with... reason for another 5.56 rifle is that the FS2k is cross compatible with my GI STANG mags and teh 5.56 M855 ball ammo... means i onlyhave to stock one caliber and 1 type of mag... and yeah, i cant fucking stand those polymer mags from lancer or magpul... huge waste of money if you ask me...
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5218 canscom

canscom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:54 AM

NICE SR1911! Just brought home my third ruger this year. Had to get another 10/22 so my other one could have a friend.

BTW Did anyone else have to completely re-register their account?

What brand and model you looking at?

Ruger NO.1

#5219 WeAre138

WeAre138

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:09 PM

Nice choice.

#5220 Watcher

Watcher

AKA CavDragoneb12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:51 PM

Thanks!

I'm actually on my third Ruger as well, one is never enough.

#1 is a SR9, #2 is a 77/22 Varminter, and #3 is the 1911.

On the list, in no particular order, are a Mini-30, 10/22, LCP/SR9C, SR556, M77 of some variant in .308, and maybe even a revolver of some kind. I have recently come to terms with myself being a Ruger "Fan-Boy" :lol:

I like that 1911 a lot. If the rumors are true that they are going to make another variant of it I will definitely get another one. If untrue, I'll still get a second one and totally trick it out combat ready. Probably get some hogues, ambi-safety, night-sights, full length guide rod, perhaps a decent magwell, if I can find it and live in the right location I'll get a threaded barrel and a suppressor, and definitely a duracoat job.

Tippmann Tech

- Douglass Adams, RIP

-

Posted Image

#5221 dhunt91

dhunt91

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:54 PM

Thanks!

I'm actually on my third Ruger as well, one is never enough.

#1 is a SR9, #2 is a 77/22 Varminter, and #3 is the 1911.

On the list, in no particular order, are a Mini-30, 10/22, LCP/SR9C, SR556, M77 of some variant in .308, and maybe even a revolver of some kind. I have recently come to terms with myself being a Ruger "Fan-Boy" :lol:

I like that 1911 a lot. If the rumors are true that they are going to make another variant of it I will definitely get another one. If untrue, I'll still get a second one and totally trick it out combat ready. Probably get some hogues, ambi-safety, night-sights, full length guide rod, perhaps a decent magwell, if I can find it and live in the right location I'll get a threaded barrel and a suppressor, and definitely a duracoat job.

Watcher how do you like the SR9? Im thinking of getting a SR40c or SR9c for my CHL

#5222 Watcher

Watcher

AKA CavDragoneb12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:43 AM

Watcher how do you like the SR9? Im thinking of getting a SR40c or SR9c for my CHL

It's sweet! Accurate, comfortable, extremely light, 17+1 with the full size mags, good quality, 100% reliable for me, the trigger broke in very smooth, and the company is great!

Put up against a Glock, XD, and M&P I thought it came out on top because of a few features... Others will speak otherwise, and in some ways those other guns do beat the Ruger, but I liked the Ruger much better. The Smith came out second place for me but the grip wasn't as comfortable and the lack of a thumb safety bugged me.
The one I shot had a spongy trigger, too.

Seems like the biggest complaints anyone has about the SR9 is that it isn't as simple as a Glock to take down (but still simpler than a lot of other guns), there is a magazine disconnect (but it is very simple to remove), some guys don't like the thumb safety (but if you don't like it don't use it, it still has the trigger safety and "safe-action" trigger pull), and for some reason some people hate the loaded chamber indicator (but if you don't like it you can modify it to not poke up or just ignore it...).
Also seems like everyone who owns them love them.

I like the thumb safety and the LCI, I removed the mag disconnect, and I like 1911s and they take down rather complicated compared to anything "modern".

Along with liking 1911s, the grip is very similar and actually a touch thinner while still being double-stack. It is definitely thinner than the offerings from Smith/Glock/Springfield...
On top of that the Ruger is very high value in that it is around $400, comes with an extra mag, and is USA made with a lifetime warranty.

If you are thinking of getting an SR9 of any kind, I say yes! For a CCW pistol you might be better served with something smaller in a subcompact like the LC9, but for a compact pistol I think you'd be a fool to overlook the SR9C.

The only valid reasons I can come up with for passing one up is if something else has a better deal (on sale?) and you are hurting for cash, if something else feels more natural/comfortable in the hand, or if for some reason you just can't shoot the SR9 accurately. On paper the SR9 is solid, in practice you might hate it.
Only way to know is to shoot it...

But I highly recommend it.

Edited by Watcher, 17 November 2012 - 12:44 AM.

Tippmann Tech

- Douglass Adams, RIP

-

Posted Image

#5223 Corrupted355

Corrupted355

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:10 AM

... and maybe even a revolver of some kind...

Ruger is the best large scale manufacturer of revolvers. They blow Smith & Wesson out of the water on build quality. I will never buy another Smith revolver, because you're just paying for a name. For the gun you get, you might as well save a ton of money and buy a Taurus. Ruger, on the other hand, is up there with Charter in terms of quality. Just the finish on a Ruger revolver alone is worth it. I have a $550 Ruger SP101 and an $1100 Smith 460XVR, both in stainless. The Smith is covered on tool marks, whereas the Ruger is smooth as glass. And this isn't a QC issue, as I've seen this same trend over and over at gun shows. And the quality issues continue throughout. My S&W rattles when you shake it. So does every Smith I've picked up since I noticed this issue recently. I have two Rugers, both of which are tight as a drum, one of which is a 40-year-old Blackhawk that has only ever been fully taken apart once, and that was just out of curiosity.
my markers

#5224 canscom

canscom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:03 PM

Ruger please make this rifle in .303 please

#5225 Watcher

Watcher

AKA CavDragoneb12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:14 PM

Well, when I said I might even get one of their revolvers I meant it as someone who is not a fan of revolvers... lol

But yeah, I always thought Smith was overpriced for the quality and performance compared to Ruger. I didn't know their quality had actually gone down recently.

Ruger please make this rifle in .303 please

Write the president! There is a thing on Ruger's website that is a direct link to him.

Went to the local DNR range with two friends and all my guns for a fantastic day of shootin' stuff Saturday!
Shot my SR1911 to 300 on the odometer, sighted in my 77/22 to 50 yards (didn't get a chance to go longer), and shot my Mossberg 590A1 for the first time. Was a sweet day!

The SR1911 is breaking in very nicely and is very accurate, and that 77/22 shoots dime sized groups at 50 with Federal Lightning 1240fps 40grain lead nose, which is a good sign. That ammo is better than the usual bulk stuff, but it by no means is "target" ammo. I'm gonna pick up something in a target grade ammo like the Wolf Match as well as some various CCI loads and see what it likes best. I'll also pick up some Stingers or Velocitors and see how it does with them.

The Mossberg was FUN! Shot some 00buck at the 25yard range and owned the silhouette, then for kicks I took it to the clay range and ran some bird-shot through it. By no means is it a sporting gun, and it was pretty difficult to get consistent with it. As long as you were quick you could take the clay out but bird loads past 25yards just scatter too much, it seems. I really should have patterned it on paper first...
But it was still a good time and plenty of clays got busted by the 590A1.

All the rest got busted by my SEARS 16g bolt-action shotgun. Since there were 3 of us, one threw clays, the first shooter tried to nail it with the Mossberg, and if they missed or only clipped it the second shooter standing a little farther down range would try to hit it with the 16g. When a 20" cylinder bore barrel can't, a 26" full choke barrel can! :lol:

I ended the day with a 10 for 10 string with the 16g. It sucks that it's a bolt gun so a followup shot or multiple clays is kind of impossible, and it sucks that 16g is becoming increasingly difficult to find, but that shotgun is light, accurate, and fun to shoot!

It's renewed my drive to add a decent 12g O/U to my collection. I'm thinking either a CZ Canvasback or a Mossberg Silver-Reserve II. The original Silver-Reserve didn't get very good reviews, but I haven't heard much about the second edition. Perhaps they've gotten the quality under control, and perhaps they've moved production to the US... Probably not.
CZ has a rock-solid reputation, though, so I'm leaning heavily towards that one.

If I can find a used Ruger Red-Label for under $1000 I'd be in heaven!

Edited by Watcher, 20 November 2012 - 09:58 PM.

Tippmann Tech

- Douglass Adams, RIP

-

Posted Image

#5226 SoCalPB22

SoCalPB22

Just Addictied...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:00 PM

So is the Remington 700 loaded from the top or has a removable magazine

#5227 XxJellyFilledxX

XxJellyFilledxX

Lead Farmer.

• Chat Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,337 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:38 AM

http://www.flickr.co...N03/8205182896/

I really dont shoot all that often and am a total newbie to guns, but its something i could see myself really getting into eventually so I figured id join up and pick some of your brains every now and then. :tup:

"You can't break a man the way you break a dog or a horse. The harder you beat a man, the taller he stands. To break a man's will, to break his spirit, you have to break his mind."

#5228 WeAre138

WeAre138

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:41 AM

It has an internal magazine that is fed through the top. Though you can do aftermarket mods to use detachable mags. If youre set on detachable mags may I suggest a Ruger GSR.

#5229 WeAre138

WeAre138

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:43 AM

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68732512@N03/8205182896/

I really dont shoot all that often and am a total newbie to guns, but its something i could see myself really getting into eventually so I figured id join up and pick some of your brains every now and then. :tup:

Always good to see someone get into firearms. Have fun, and be safe. A word of advice though. Lean into that rifle a bit and the recoil wont move you as much.

#5230 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:49 AM

it depends on which model you get, some have an internal magazine, some have a detachable box magazine
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5231 WeAre138

WeAre138

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:49 PM

it depends on which model you get, some have an internal magazine, some have a detachable box magazine

Youve forced me to go look at all the models of 700. I hadnt seen a factory 700 with the detachable magazine yet.

#5232 WeAre138

WeAre138

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:52 PM

Ill be damned there it is. The 700 SPS DM.

#5233 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:50 AM

i would get teh CDL DM... the SPS has a really loose action and it feels like shit... they claim its "milspec" but its not... its just a cheap action....
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5234 WeAre138

WeAre138

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:53 AM

Not really my style anyway. Pretty sure my next purchase is going to be a revolver. Waiting for tax season ya know. I REALLY like the looks of the Wiley Clapp model Gp100.

#5235 XxJellyFilledxX

XxJellyFilledxX

Lead Farmer.

• Chat Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,337 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:41 PM

Always good to see someone get into firearms. Have fun, and be safe. A word of advice though. Lean into that rifle a bit and the recoil wont move you as much.

Thanks for the advice man. That was my first time shooting anything higher than a .22 so it was a tad different. :P

Should have seen it when I shot a British .303 after that lol

"You can't break a man the way you break a dog or a horse. The harder you beat a man, the taller he stands. To break a man's will, to break his spirit, you have to break his mind."

#5236 Watcher

Watcher

AKA CavDragoneb12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:38 PM

Lean into that rifle a bit and the recoil wont move you as much.

I get awesome reactions from people who shoot my Mosin Nagant M44.

The round is potent enough, and I suppose comparable to the .303 Brit, but the round has a powder load designed for the M91/30 with it's 28" barrel.
The M44 is the carbine version of the rifle with a 20" barrel, but with the same cartridge as it's bigger brother that means it has a bigger boom, a bigger blast, and a 6 foot fireball!

After people get knocked off balance by it, they tend to have a grin bigger than their face and either ask me how to operate the bolt or figure it out for themselves :D

Tippmann Tech

- Douglass Adams, RIP

-

Posted Image

#5237 canscom

canscom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:27 AM

Thanks for the advice man. That was my first time shooting anything higher than a .22 so it was a tad different. :P

I find .303 pleasant to shoot but maybe I'm a little touched in the head

#5238 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:28 AM

i think .45-70 is pleasant to shoot... guess i am a little more then touched....
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5239 WeAre138

WeAre138

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:57 PM

i think .45-70 is pleasant to shoot... guess i am a little more then touched....

I got to shoot my buddies guide gun in .45-70 once. That thing was a blast.

#5240 Corrupted355

Corrupted355

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:23 PM

A buddy of mine has a M91 Mosin Nagant that someone cut down to a 17" barrel. Best we can tell, the work was done sometime in the 1950's. But that thing kicks like a mule. I'll be on the opposite end of a firing line of 25 people, and I can pick the sound of that resounding boom out of all the other rifles there. Mainly because it's just plain louder than anything shy of a big 50. It sends out 2-3 feet of flame that's visible in the daytime. And you want kick? Nothing in 30-caliber punches you in the shoulder like this gun. At least, nothing I've seen.
my markers

#5241 Watcher

Watcher

AKA CavDragoneb12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:45 PM

If anyone is digging a decent, USA made, and cheap fixed blade knife, go here:

http://www.bladehq.c...ck-Fixed--14126

They have 'em in black and orange handles, and the knife is discontinued so get 'em while supplies last.

I was at the local Cabela's snooping around and in the sales paper I saw this knife for $35. I thought, "No way, I didn't know Kershaw made the Skyline in a fixed blade! That's kind of cool!" and I went up to look at it.
Found the last one in the store with a black handle. I have had a few of the folding Skylines and they are nice. Lightweight, thin, sharp, the steel is very manageable, and they are USA made and under a lifetime warranty. For $35, why not.

Got it home, opened it up, and liked it. It's small and handy. I was going to go back to Cabela's and get one of the orange ones. Hopped online, and to my surprise a Nutnfancy video was showcasing it. Watched it, and in the description was a link to get one for $18 + shipping!

What!?

I ordered two. Figured I'd keep one in the closet and let it appreciate for a bunch of years next to my Damascus steel Skyline folder and have an extra one for whatever.
Now that I'm thinking about it, I might get more. At least one orange one to keep as a collectable, then I am thinking about employing several in my daily needs.

I have a fixed blade living in my truck, but it is kind of large and cumbersome. So, Skyline-FB for that!
I've been thinking of using a fixed-blade for work at the machine shop since my pockets get full of steel and any folder in there (usually my Spyderco PM2) gets full of chips/shavings and makes it a pain to care for and makes the edge wear out quicker if I don't wipe it off before cutting with it. So, Skyline-FB for that!
I like the knife as an extra blade for EDC. I usually carry 2 folders for delicate and utility work, now I can have a larger knife dedicated to food-stuffs/self-defense/odd jobs. So, Skyline-FB for that!
The cheap Chinese FB knife I have zip-tied to my Camelback is a little obnoxious. It's fat, cumbersome, heavy, and is camo colored (I have set it down and "lost" it in the trails before). So, Skyline-FB (in orange) for that!

What does that come out to, 6 knives?
Better get one more as an extra just in case I lose one or break one in half doing something stupid with it...

Edited by Watcher, 23 November 2012 - 08:47 PM.

Tippmann Tech

- Douglass Adams, RIP

-

Posted Image

#5242 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:07 PM

so, my plans on finishing my SCAR project are finally coming to... waiting on GG&G to release a QD mount for the XDS-2 bipod.... though if its going tobe a while i will bite the bullet and get the non-qd one... still shopping for a rail extension but the PWS rail is looking nice as its got a lower top rail infront of the front sight for mounting of a light... but, midwest industries is supposedly releasing a new SCAR rail extension that replaces the entire lower rail as well, which i like...

also decided on who i am sending my SCAR to for new paint, and what pattern... http://762precision....m/rommels-book/ only instead of a desert pattern it will be a woodland pattern... think A-TACS-FG....

Bipod

Posted Image

Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5243 canscom

canscom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:01 PM

Does anyone have opinions on the Kershaw Needs work or Clash

#5244 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:04 PM

only kershaw knives i like are the Amphibian and Military Knife... other then that i try and avoid them
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5245 Corrupted355

Corrupted355

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:16 AM

I have the opposite opinion. I like Kershaw. It's hard to find a better quality folder at a cheaper price. The only downside is that on the assisted openers, the spring tends to be a little delicate. Personally, I'm a big fan of Wharncliffe blades, so I'd probably end up with the Needs Work.

Speaking of blades, I just got a new one in. It's a Microtech Ultratech. Double action OTF auto. Nice knife, but it's a little small for my big paws, which means I've gotta choke way down so that the pommel with the glass breaker is in the center of my palm in order to retract the blade. But other than that annoyance, it's a nice quality blade with a really solid lockup. Mine looks like this:

Posted Image
my markers

#5246 canscom

canscom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:04 AM

Corrupted Is the spring something that Kershaw would fix in lets say a year when/if it breaks

#5247 Corrupted355

Corrupted355

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:18 AM

I would assume so. My friend and I were showing each other knives, and the Kershaw he showed me "didn't hold up to 12 hours of continuously flicking it open and closed". He went on to say that it was on it's second assist spring. This guy is very handy, so it's entirely plausible that he replaced it himself, but it's also very likely that Kershaw would have replaced the spring. In any case, he was still very happy with the knife and didn't fault the little thing for failing the abuse he'd rendered it.

The blade in question was a Kershaw Leek if it makes any difference to you.

Edited by Corrupted355, 25 November 2012 - 11:26 AM.

my markers

#5248 canscom

canscom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

Kershaw will send me the parts Kershaw you have a new customer

#5249 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:20 PM

I'm thinking about picking up the sight in the link below for a .22. Anyone have any experience with that sight, or the company?

http://www.cheaperth...m/product/77254
Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

#5250 canscom

canscom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:42 PM

The only thing I have to say is that the local gun store has those sights and they dont outsell the EOTech. You get what you pay for could it be a great sight sure could it be a useless paper weight yep

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)