5998 replies to this topic

#5251 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:50 AM

All the reviews I have found seem to say this sight is really nice, but dont really say why.
Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

#5252 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

TechPB's Resident Angry Veteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:57 AM

couple thing with EOTechs... the lower end ones, like the 512, do not have a clear retical... if you have an astigmatism HWS's wont work for shit with you... my favorite close quarters sights are the Leupold prizmatic optics and AImPoints, but you are gonna pay for it
Shocktech Aftershock SFL team cocker, serial number 1
Mini Orracle pump, Eclipse internals, Sanchez Machine pump kit and grip frame
Mossberg 500 ZMB

OSG Paintball biggest and best field in NH... show them some love

"I wish I had 2000 feet. So i could shove 500 of them up each of your asses!!!!" Red Foreman

#5253 WeAre138

WeAre138

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:15 PM

couple thing with EOTechs... the lower end ones, like the 512, do not have a clear retical... if you have an astigmatism HWS's wont work for shit with you... my favorite close quarters sights are the Leupold prizmatic optics and AImPoints, but you are gonna pay for it

I missed a good sale on the Aimpoint Pro's recently. So pissed at myself.

#5254 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:52 PM

only aimpoint i will use is the compm4 or m4s....
Mossberg 500 ZMB

"I wish I had 2000 feet. So i could shove 500 of them up each of your asses!!!!" Red Foreman

#5255 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:44 PM

If I had the cash for an eotech or aimpoint I would probably own one. I really have no need for military grade optics though.
Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

#5256 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:50 PM

i am happy with the VX-R Patrol on my SCAR.... really want a Leupold HAMR w/ Delta Point though....
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5257 canscom

canscom

Lest we forget the soldiers. who saved our country

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:06 PM

Elcan Specter DR is the optic I want right now its whats on the DMR C7 and C8
Stop worrying about how you look, and start worrying about how you play. Get out on the field and play paintball the best you can, not stand at home in front of a mirror trying to figure out if your jersey matches your eyes.

#5258 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:24 PM

yeah, and its 2100 for 1-4x.... elcan has put quite a few lemon specters on the market... the illumination lamp tends to burn out quickly on them, or simply not work at all...
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5259 canscom

canscom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:36 PM

Leupold HAMR is a two grand optic here and the Specter is 2000$ I'll have to use both to see what one works for me
Stop worrying about how you look, and start worrying about how you play. Get out on the field and play paintball the best you can, not stand at home in front of a mirror trying to figure out if your jersey matches your eyes.

#5260 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:42 PM

if you want a varriable power optic you should really try the leupold VX-R patrol... its a 1.25-4x... with enough practice you can shoot both eyes open with it, or pair it with a delta point on a 45* mount...

the 2 fixed power optics i would buy if i had the money are the HAMR or TA-31 RCO-M150 from Trijicon... the issue with the Specter as an optic is its not a reflex sight, its a 1x scope... because of the eye relief and fish eye type lense you cant use it for CQB like you can an Aimpoint or EOTech
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5261 canscom

canscom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:16 PM

I'll look around for a VX-R then I keep hearing good things

#5262 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:27 PM

the fire dot SPR reticle is amazing... glass is so clear it looks better then real life... the illuminated dot turns off after 5 minutes of the rifle being still.. then turns back on when you pick up the rifle... its a slick optic... i am really happy with mine... and you can find them for ~550 online... a 1/5 the price of an Elcan or Trijicon
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5263 Corrupted355

Corrupted355

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:39 PM

If you're looking for a variable power optic on a 22, then skip the high dollar stuff. Get yourself a Simmons 22 Mag Rimfire scope. It'll cost you about forty five bucks. I have in on my 22, and it's phenomenal. Completely in a class of its own for the price.

http://www.midwayusa...atte-with-rings
"Speak softly and carry a big stick"
my markers

#5264 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:45 PM

If you're looking for a variable power optic on a 22, then skip the high dollar stuff. Get yourself a Simmons 22 Mag Rimfire scope. It'll cost you about forty five bucks. I have in on my 22, and it's phenomenal. Completely in a class of its own for the price.

http://www.midwayusa...atte-with-rings

I had that scope on my last .22 and I wasnt impressed. It didnt have enough adjustability so it made sighting in difficult. I'm just looking for a well priced red dot. Im not accurate enough with iron sights to consistently hit a squirrel head at 30 yards.
Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

#5265 Watcher

Watcher

AKA CavDragoneb12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:37 PM

I've got one of these on my Ruger 77/22 VBZ and so far I like it a lot.

It's crystal clear, the 44mm objective lets a lot of light in, 4X isn't too much for up close and the 16X, although it seems overkill, is great for bullseye shooting at 100+ off a rest, it has zeroing turrets with caps, the "1/2 Mil-Dot" reticule is pretty neat, and the side focus parallax adjustment is accurate and easy to use.
Came with some flip-up lens caps, which work well, and the whole thing is a good deal. Not overly expensive, but much better quality than what you get from a sub $100 scope.

If you want a serious .22 optic, I highly recommend this one.

If you want something lower power or something more economy friendly, I'd suggest looking into Simmons. I've had success with their products in the past.

Tippmann Tech
Everything Rob "Tyger" Rubin
Alaska's Coolest Paintball Webcomic!

"The frightening thing about [humans] is their utterly mindless determination to do whatever mindless thing it is they are determined to do."
- Douglass Adams, RIP

-

Posted Image

#5266 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:41 PM

Just a dumb question to get a discussion going...

Whats would theoretically be better for a zombie apocalypse? An AR or AK platform?

Im thinking AR because of the lighter ammo and better accuracy. Reliability really wouldn't be an issue as I know how to maintain firearms.
Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

#5267 Corrupted355

Corrupted355

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:44 PM

Depends on what you're better with. Personally, I prefer the AR. But you can do just as well with an AK. Thinknof all the third world countries that rely on that AK.
my markers

#5268 canscom

canscom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:52 PM

AR there are other loadings in the AR that give it more punch 6.8Spc .300Blackout .50Beowolf so on so forth the AK fanboys will point out that you can bury a AK and it will still shoot and how unreliable the DI type guns are but now adays thats a moot point

#5269 Corrupted355

Corrupted355

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:57 PM

If I were gonna build an alternate caliber AR, it would be 6.5 Grendel .
my markers

#5270 canscom

canscom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:02 AM

If I was on the local SWAT team I would want a AR in .458 Socom

#5271 Corrupted355

Corrupted355

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:05 AM

Lots of energy in 458, but I feel it compromises too much in the way of ballistics. It starts to fall out of the sky pretty fast. Definitely a short range weapon.
my markers

#5272 canscom

canscom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:20 AM

I would only use it if I was SWAT going through a house and boom Mr.Badguy 5.56 seems really tiny at oh shit range .458 however give me a better feeling anything past 50 to maybe 100m its time to call the Sniper

#5273 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:07 AM

the AK 47 and 74 are minute of man rifles... meaning they are only ass accurate as you are... that being said, the sights on an akare still really close together 9about the same distance as the m4 sights) and they are a buckhorn and post stile... not a very accurate sigh at longer ranges... the AK has more punch to it with the 7.62x39r round, but its a very heavy rimmed case, even the mags are heavy compared to the AR STANG mag... the weapon itself can easily be used as hand to hand weapon with out fear of destroying the weapon beyond functional use....

the AR platfrom is much more refined... DI systems, even the only ones, will run up to 1000 rounds before they start to foul and jam... some even more.. i've seen newer m4's run as many as 2k rounds without cleaning and it didnt jam once... the AR rifle was built for accuracy, unlike the AKwhich was built for reliability... the 5.56 round will have more then enough punch to drop a man out to 600m depending on barrel length, this i can attest to... the 5.56mm round travels with so much energy that it will explode a mans heat if it passes within 1/2 an inch of it, where as teh 7.62 family, NATO and R, dont have that much energy...

my personal SHTF rifle is my SCAR... ammo is easy to come by, 5.56/.223, its MOA accurate, hard chrome lined bore, gas tappet system, and takes all of 10 minutes to clean... i personally would try and avoid any of the "wildcat' calibers for the AR platform, unless you plan on spending thousands of dollars stock up on .300AAc 6.5 Grendel, 6.8SPC or .458 SOCOM... they are great rounds, but not as easy to come by as 5.56/.223 if there is a total collapse of society... also, remember this, there is a finite supply of ammo in this world, eventually there will be no more bullets... i plan on learning how to shoot a bow accurately this summer as well as how to shape/make my own arrows...
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5274 Corrupted355

Corrupted355

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:30 PM

Oh, if were talking SHTF weapons, I'd stick a piston on an AR to cut down in the internal fouling, and leave it in 5.56 NATO.
my markers

#5275 canscom

canscom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:50 PM

SHTF good ol LEE-Enfield can find plenty of .303 yes its bolt action but I dont want to be getting in anyfire fights

#5276 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:03 PM

SHTF good ol LEE-Enfield can find plenty of .303 yes its bolt action but I dont want to be getting in anyfire fights

.303 is rare around here. I've only ever seen .303 in expensive hunting loads. I would rather go for a .308 or 7.62x54r if im going bolt action.
Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

#5277 canscom

canscom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:27 PM

Ive had multiple people from the U.S tell me that

#5278 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:38 AM

.303 isnt commonly found in the US because its a british round, and lee enfield bolt action rifles are not common... hell, i've seen some non matching numbers LE's go for 2k at gun shows
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5279 canscom

canscom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:43 AM

Come to Canada Lee-Enfield 150$.A section of the CF uses them

#5280 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:39 PM

Come to Canada Lee-Enfield 150$.A section of the CF uses them

Thats like the canadian version the mosin nagant.
Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

#5281 canscom

canscom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:26 PM

Yep people here love em

#5282 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:30 PM

i would love to get my hands on a couple for that price... then flip all but one here in the states...

now to see if i can purchase in canada and return back to the states with a rifle
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5283 Watcher

Watcher

AKA CavDragoneb12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:09 PM

Just a dumb question to get a discussion going...

Whats would theoretically be better for a zombie apocalypse? An AR or AK platform?

Im thinking AR because of the lighter ammo and better accuracy. Reliability really wouldn't be an issue as I know how to maintain firearms.

For the sake of arguements, lets say the AR is in the common 5.56 nato and the AK is in the common 7.62x39 russian.

In the US of A, AR definitely. If for no other reason, then because of availability. Every shop here has 'em, tons of people have 'em, and ammo is everywhere!
Also, being very similar to the military issued rifles and sharing ammunition/magazines, it is easy to scavenge after military installations are run over.

More positives are a relatively light weight, low recoil (to accommodate young and female shooters), decent precision, high velocity round, and if you are fighting zombies then stopping power is moot since all you have to do is pierce the skull.

In a zompocalypse I doubt very much you'll be crawling through the mud and other nastiness with your weapon so reliability when fouled shouldn't be an issue. Even so, cleaning kits are small, light, and common and you should never be without a backup gun.

In Russia or other continents where the AK is more prominent, it, of course, would be a better choice for many of the same reasons. However, given an equal choice between the two the AR will prove the better system.

Me? I'll take a Ruger SR556. Gas piston means it should run more reliably with neglect compared to a DI gun, and it is arguably easier to clean since all you have to do is open the gas-key and clean off the piston inside.
Also on my hip would be my Buckmark .22lr and dropped down on my leg would be my Ruger SR1911 in case I'm facing uninfected targets...

Now if we are talking a SHTF situation, not necessarily zombies, then my ideas change a bit. You need to make sure you can drop a man sized target with ease who may or may not be wearing body armor, and you might be rolling around in filth if the situation dictates it is necessary.
You could argue pros and cons to either system now and never get anywhere. It's very situational and locational.
Are you defending a homestead?
Are you assaulting?
Are you doing recon?
Are you just passing through?
Are you with a group or are you solo?

An AK shines in a heavier bullet with greater "stopping power" on an unprotected target, in neglect (long haul, may never shoot it until you have to), in simplicity (handing off to untrained users), and in ruggedness.
The AR shines in commonality, availability, weight, and accuracy.

In a urban setting, in a group, or traveling by vehicle go AR. In rural setting, alone, or "hoofing it", go AK.
The AR is more maneuverable, more capable of penetration, and protected from the elements in a vehicle. The AK is more abusable, quicker/simpler to maintain, will more likely drop larger game than an AR, and in a pinch can be used as an effective tool for many tasks you may find in the wild.

I'd take the best of both, a Mini-30. Simple action, reliable when dirty, can take a lot of neglect, solid as a tank, and shoots the 7.62x39.

Of the guns I own, though, I'd have to take my Mossberg 590A1.
It is a little on the heavy side, especially with ammo, but being able to shoot any 2-3/4 to 3" 12gauge shotgun shell is a plus, it's small enough to be maneuverable, simple enough to straight up abuse if need be, and depending on load I can hunt any game in North-America as well as defend myself quite easily.
Run #8 quail shot and pick up some birds, run 00 Buck and drop me a Bambi, or run a rifled-slug and take out my attacker at 100+ yards B)

Off topic, got a Wilson Combat guide-rod and some new VZ grips for my SR1911.

Posted Image

They are a lot lighter than I thought they would be when I ordered them, so I'm debating keeping them.

If anyone likes 'em, shoot me a PM. Maybe we can do business :P

Edited by Watcher, 30 November 2012 - 10:09 PM.

Tippmann Tech

"The frightening thing about [humans] is their utterly mindless determination to do whatever mindless thing it is they are determined to do."
- Douglass Adams, RIP

-

Posted Image

#5284 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:00 PM

i am jsut going to put this out there for you all to consider... over seas in Afghanistan i saw more AK's jam and malfunction then i did M4's and M16's... why? because the AR system is better sealed then the AK system and grime and filth that builds up in the ak's open reciever (the dust cover us useless in the desert) were as the M4 lers much less dust and carp into the reciever with the dust cover closed...

here is something else to consider... the AK and AR are not the only semi auto combat rifles out there...
yes, there are more AR carriants then any other rifle in existence, but there are better rifles out there then the AR...

not necessarily better, but here is a list of rifles to consider
Sig 551/552/556
HK G36 series (if you can find it)
FNH SCAR platform (my personal preference)
M1a/M14 (second choice)
Mini-14
SKS
FNH FS2k
Styer AUG
just to name a few...

here is what you need to consider when picking an SHTF weapon, and this is an across the board guide line, not a z-day vs. governmental collapse/invasion/civil war situation...

reliability... how many rounds can said rifle platform shoot before the first failure without cleaning....
Maintenance... how often do you need to give your weapon TLC and how long does it take...
Operating system... DI, OP-rob, short stroke piston, long stroke piston, gas tappet (short stroke impact tappet)
availability of spare parts/cross comparability of parts from other guns
strength of materials used, how much abuse can the rifle take before it or any part of it fails
ammo selection, how easy will it be for you to stockpile ammo and find ammo once your supplies are gone
effective range, accuracy and control of weapon under both slow and higher rates of fire

stopping power isnt all its cracked up to be... yes, it would be nice to stop a man dead in his tracks with one shot... but, if you are going to be protecting yourself, you train to shoot center mass, also called the death box... even a .22 will kill if you hit between the nipples... stopping power is a moot point if your rifle and round are accurate enough to put multiple rounds on target in a tight group... a 5.56 nato M855 ball round will go though most non SAPI plate armor on the market...

when defending yourself, head shots and center mass are where you want to aim, so make sure your rifle exceedes your abilities to hit out to a safe distance of 300 yards (0-300 yards is considered close range, 300-600 is mid range, anything past 600 is long range) remember the AR platform is a sub MOA rifle, the AK47 is not, the AK platform is a minute of man rifle, it will only be as accurate as you are...

my reasoning for choosing the SCAR as my go to weapon... with 5.56 M855 ball ammo i can drop any game in North America out to 500 yards, yes, even bull moose and grizzlies will drop from a 5.56 round if shot placement is right... i can also attest to M855 ball ammo piercing 1/4 thick steel plate... so, i kno that i will be able to hit my target and drop them without issue as long as they are not in a heavily armored vehicle or behind a concrete wall... if for some reason i dont get a single shot kill then the SCAR is smooth enough where my sights dont come off target under rapid fire and i can put a few more rounds into the target without major adjustment... for example, i put 30 rounds into the 10 ring of a zero target at 25m with iron sights shoot 2-3 rounds per second without my irons coming off target....

the rifle itself.. the parts are for the most proof way over built.. the BCG is indestructible under military abuse, the only real weak point is the stock... its over all compact, and its a match grade millspec rifle, its more accurate then i will ever be, though i have it man sized "green ivan" targets at 500 yards with it, center mass and head... it accepts all 1913 rail accessories... as far as the reliability of the rifle, FN tested it to 20k rounds without cleaning out the gas tappet and cicnt have a single malfunction... cleaning and take down is easy, one pin andi can field strip it... takes 10 minutes to clean then put back together....

ammo and magazines... 5.56 NATO and .223 work in this rifle, and are easily found and inexpensive as far as rifle ammo goes... all i use are STANG magazines (i dont trust polymer mags, or any magpul magazine) so finding magazines will be a breeze if needed...

the rifle is fully functioning with the stock folded to the side, which also makes it compact for hauling it in my pack if i need to... a fully loaded 30rd mag with m855 is 1.12 lbs if i remember correctly... thats ammo and mag... so weight wise i can carry more mags then any 7.62 caliber, more ammo/pound is a huge plus in my book

everyone has thier own reasons for choosing their go to gun... i thought long and hard on the SCAR, compared it to custom AK's, gas piston AR's, the ACR and Sig556.... and in the end the SCAR jsut beat them all out for what i wanted out of a rifle... i can take both man and beast and not have to worry about malfunctions and cleaning or heavy ammo loads
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5285 Watcher

Watcher

AKA CavDragoneb12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:32 AM

i am jsut going to put this out there for you all to consider... over seas in Afghanistan i saw more AK's jam and malfunction then i did M4's and M16's... why? because the AR system is better sealed then the AK system and grime and filth that builds up in the ak's open reciever (the dust cover us useless in the desert) were as the M4 lers much less dust and carp into the reciever with the dust cover closed...

here is something else to consider... the AK and AR are not the only semi auto combat rifles out there...
yes, there are more AR varriants then any other rifle in existence, but there are better rifles out there then the AR...

True, not all systems are infallible or hold up the same in certain environments, and not all systems are completely free from maintenance. An AK completely lacking in care for an extended period WILL fail. Let's not be blind, here.
Also true, the loose tolerances and design of the AK warrants the ability to tolerate dirt and grime when compared to other systems. Not to say the receiver is better at keeping things out, but the system is more tolerant.

I was only comparing the two because that was the topic of the subject. The question was that in a zompocalypse would an AR or AK be better?

Yeah stopping power isn't what people say it is. I'd hope we all aren't naive. However, simple physics says that the bigger the round the harder the hit.
Every cartridge can kill in one hit, and every cartridge can fail to kill in certain circumstances. Shot placement has more to do with lethality than the round.

That being said, the bigger the round the more trauma, the more trauma the more likely to be lethal, and the more likely to be lethal the less critical shot placement is.

Is the 5.56 effective? Hell yes! Many years of combat have proved it.
Is the 7.62 effective? Hell yes! Many years of combat have proved it.

But for strategically different reasons...

Also, as far as the whole "minute of man" concept, if the rifle is at least as accurate as you are that is all that matters, right? Who cares if it is bullseye accurate at 3 miles, as long as it can hit center of mass at X range when you want it to hit center of mass at X range then it's accurate enough.
Having laser like accuracy is nice, but is it really necessary?
As long as you know your weapon, train with your weapon, and can hit consistently at your likely engagement ranges then you are squared away.

Edited by Watcher, 01 December 2012 - 12:40 AM.

Tippmann Tech

- Douglass Adams, RIP

-

Posted Image

#5286 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:58 AM

the size of the round does not determine the amount of damage it will cause... at least not in all cases... all bullets create 2 types of wounds... a temporary wound cavity (caused by cavitation) and the wound tract... the temp wound cavity is caused when the energy of the bullet displaces fluid in the body and causes soft tissue damage... the wound tract is simply the hole punched into the target and the tissue displaced by the bullet itself... a higher velocity round will cause more cavitation upon impact and create a larger temp wound cavity... while the 7.62x39r bullet will do more damage fromteh bullet itself, the 5.56 NATO will create a bigger temp cavity... all because of the speed the bullet travels... now, a bullet like the .30-06 and .50BMG have the velocity to create huge temp wound cavities... the concept of stopping power is more for round impact on a hard target... if your target is wearing body armor, a bigger round will impart more energy into the armor plate and cause the person to stop... a smaller round, esp steel core rounds, tend to be through and through rounds....

one of the reasons the US switched to 5.56 is its high velocity and its ability to penetrate non ceramic body armor... there has been testing done on intermediate calibers, like 6.8SPC, that have proven to be better then 5.56, but at a heavier weight per round for the soldier...

think about this... and i cant remember exactly which hospital did the study, i want to say it was either a NYC or Chicago hospital, but they compiled nation wide data on gun shot victims and they found that out of the 20% of survivable wounds the majority were larger caliber, where as out of the majority of fatalities were smaller calibers with 2 or more hits... more hits on target with 9mm proves to be more lethal then 1 hit with .45acp... which is why the military still uses a 9mm side arm with a 15 rd mag... more potential hits on target to ensure the target goes down...

i get what you are saying, and i am not knocking the AK or AR platform at all, or anyone's decision between the two... and i wasnt directing anything at you, just providing another view point...

my experience with the AK (even in the hands of a professional soldier) is that it will jam and corrode sooner in dusty environments... the reason the AK is able to cycle through most dirt and grime when an AR cant isnt becuase of the loose tolerances in the receiver... its becuase it uses a gas op-rod to cycle the BCG... less carbon fowling in the receiver means that the bolt group will move more easily along its contact points... where as a DI AR dumps all the hot gas and carbon back into the BCG which fowls things up quicker... an AR will shoot though most dirt and grim in the hands of a professional soldier.... i know that part of my training was to shot gun the AR and give it a good shake to knock out any dust from the trigger group, which is where most of the malfunction problems come from...

with either weapon system it boild down to training... if you are well trained with your weapon you will be able to clear any jam or fix any malfunction short of a ruptured case...

as for accuracy... i put a lot of stock in my rifle being "laser accurate"... the fact that i am able to hit a target at 500 yards with consistency is huge in my book... the longer away i know i can hit someone the more stand off i will have... means for the most part i am safer... i know without a hint of doubt that i cant hit paper with an AK at 300 yards, but i can with an AR... i am the type that will take accuracy over most other aspects of a weapons performance... if its light, accurate, easy to clean, and shoots a common NATO spec round...
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5287 canscom

canscom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:20 AM

And thats why I would stick with the Lee-Enfield OEFVeteran

#5288 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:09 AM

if thats what works for you in canada then go for it... 5.56/.223 around my area is almost more common the .22LR.... even WalMart sells it in bulk...
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5289 ibunkeru666

ibunkeru666

what do i type here?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:10 AM

Honestly, Its all down to what ever you have in your gun safe at that moment. As much as we'd like to say we'd be prepared, if anything zombie-esque were to happen it would probably be out of the blue. So, if you say the AK is better and you only have an AR, looks like thats your new best friend whether you like it or not. However, if i could choose. I'd take an SBR'd AK. Something chambered in 7.62x39 (around me its easier to find than bottled water) and extremely small so i could get it into and out of a vehicle easily and move through heavily wooded areas quickly without any hang ups.

But i hate to revert back to the last topic, but I also just bought a bolt action .22, and need some optics advice. I'm willing to spend like 200 bucks, I need at least 9x, and because of the goofy rail that came on the gun, the longer the optic the better.
Posted Image
Ion Owners Group #1 ETEK OWNERS GROUP #17

#5290 Watcher

Watcher

AKA CavDragoneb12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:11 AM

if thats what works for you in canada then go for it... 5.56/.223 around my area is almost more common the .22LR.... even WalMart sells it in bulk...

Sweet! I wish my Walmart sold more things in larger quantities. I'm lucky they even sell ammo :unsure:

Tippmann Tech

- Douglass Adams, RIP

-

Posted Image

#5291 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:46 AM

i used to buy 250 rounds of .45acp there for 80 bucks... and they sell 100 round packs of 5.56....
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5292 WeAre138

WeAre138

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:59 PM

Saw a deal on a Chinese Type 56 SKS. Going back and forth on grabbing it. Any thoughts? Im familiar with the SKS, but not with the quality of the Chinese models.

#5293 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:03 PM

quality on the SKS in general isnt that great... ask your local shop see what they say...

i took off the muzzle break on my SCAR this after noon, and ordered a YHM thread protector... next on my list is a YHM Phantom QD suppressor adapter then saving up for a YHM Phantom Ti QD suppressor... once i get everything together (including the rail extension and bipod) i am gonna send her out to 7.62 precision for a duracoat finish...
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5294 canscom

canscom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:37 PM

Does FNH make a civvy SCAR-H

#5295 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:21 PM

yes, its called the SCAR 17s

for all FN small arms (with acception to military specific rifles like the HAMR and FNAC/IAR) they make a civilian legal version... hell, the first gen FS2k came with a full auto trigger group but no FA selector

Edited by OEFVeteran, 02 December 2012 - 10:22 PM.

Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5296 SoCalPB22

SoCalPB22

Just Addictied...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:32 PM

Does anyone else but me think that the Berreta ARX160 look like the Dye DAM. And also damn I love the look of the Sig Sauer ACP Platform

#5297 G4paintballer

G4paintballer

Gun/gear whore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,862 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:45 PM

I think I might get another deer gun next year. Either way I'll keep my 870 for deer hunting. Now here's my problem, either I get a semi automatic and use that as a driving type gun and mount a scope on my 870 and use that as a long range, stand hunting gun. Or I can get a purpose built break action slug gun for stand hunting and use my 870 as a driving gun. But get a recoil pad for it.

As of right now I'm leaning towards the second option since it would be cheaper and I already have my 870 as a pretty maneuverable gun with the 18 inch barrel. But semi autos generally have less recoil and follow up shots would be fairly easy to do. And I wouldn't have to by sabot slugs which are friggin expensive.

Opinions?
Current setup: WGP Trilogy, CCM S6, Ion Xe
Feedback 10/0/0

#5298 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:46 PM

i like the idea behind the ARX-160... but it is the single ugliest gun i've ever seen... and it seems Beretta is pulling an HK here and not offering the ARX-160 to public, because you suck, and we hate you... i have zero respect for Beretta as a firearms company...
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5299 Watcher

Watcher

AKA CavDragoneb12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:10 PM

Might be coming into some money soon and I'm going to need a good present for myself to improve my mood. It's a long story, but I'm basically being kicked out; have been paying into a personal savings account as "rent" for the past few years so I have more than a few bucks saved up.

Looking to get a "standard" AR of some kind. I don't want to say that money is no object, but I understand that you tend to get what you pay for so I'm willing to pay more for a good quality piece from a stand-up company.

Right now I like piston better than DI, but either one will work. I'm not completely biased.

The top choice I have right now is the Ruger SR556.
It's a piston gun, it's made in the USA by a company that is awesome, it comes with a lot of stuff so it is ready to roll right out of the box, has a quad rail so I can add a weapon-light, an AFG, and anything else I want in the future, I think it looks awesome, and at around $1500 it's a price I'd be comfortable paying to get all of the things it brings to the table.

Anyone know any good reasons why I shouldn't be looking at the Ruger? Anyone have any recommendations that are around the same price or less that have similar value for the dollar?

I don't want a piston vs DI argument here, I understand the pros/cons and in my situation as a civie I don't think the reliability of one over another or the availability of parts is going to be an issue. I don't necessarily believe that there is any indication of a performance difference, either, but I do know that a piston gun keeps the crap out of the bolt-carrier and I know that lends itself to ease of maintenance.
When a typical range visit involves around 10 firearms, the easier to clean the better. :lol:

Tippmann Tech

- Douglass Adams, RIP

-

Posted Image

#5300 SoCalPB22

SoCalPB22

Just Addictied...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:20 PM

The what do you think about their 92FS OEF

But I kinda agree with you the ARX looks like a combination of the H&K G36 and the XM8

Edited by SoCalPB22, 08 December 2012 - 10:22 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users