5998 replies to this topic

#5401 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

TechPB's Resident Angry Veteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:26 AM

i bought my pre-remington marlin for 536, standard model 1895, new back in 2007... not sure what they are going for now... but with the increase in prices i would try and get 600 minimum for it...

but, if its a remington made marlin, you are SOL, no one wants those junk rifles
Shocktech Aftershock SFL team cocker, serial number 1
Mini Orracle pump, Eclipse internals, Sanchez Machine pump kit and grip frame
Mossberg 500 ZMB

OSG Paintball biggest and best field in NH... show them some love

"I wish I had 2000 feet. So i could shove 500 of them up each of your asses!!!!" Red Foreman

#5402 Klub

Klub

i haz a pickle

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,865 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

Cool
it is pre remington, Bush model, flip rear sight and hood on the front.

Edited by Klub, 07 February 2013 - 07:11 PM.

#5403 WeAre138

WeAre138

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:16 AM

Got my first wheel gun this weekend. Ruger Gp100 in .357 magnum. Shoots like a dream and I really like the grey finish on the stainless.

Posted Image

#5404 Corrupted355

Corrupted355

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:22 AM

I like. I've always wanted a GP, but I've got a Blackhawk, an SP101, and an LCR, so I can't really justify it.
"Speak softly and carry a big stick"
my markers

#5405 canscom

canscom

Lest we forget the soldiers. who saved our country

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:14 PM

Got my first wheel gun this weekend. Ruger Gp100 in .357 magnum. Shoots like a dream and I really like the grey finish on the stainless.

Posted Image

Im not much for revolver but damn
Stop worrying about how you look, and start worrying about how you play. Get out on the field and play paintball the best you can, not stand at home in front of a mirror trying to figure out if your jersey matches your eyes.

#5406 The_Economist

The_Economist

It's business time.

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:25 PM

Posted Image

Im not much for revolver but damn

My words exactly. Nice gun. The stainless looks awesome with that finish.

#5407 TK-421

TK-421

Me So Horny! :D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,916 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:53 PM

Same here. I generally prefer a semi-auto over a revolver, but I'd own one of those.

Finally got myself a job, hopefully now I can start buying more firearms and ammo, once prices drop. Planning on a 590A1, a bayonet for it, a Mosin, an LE6920, and an M1 Garand, most likely in that order, but we'll see. And somewhere in there will also be a Glock 17, 20 and 21.

#5408 Corrupted355

Corrupted355

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:26 PM

My gotta-have-it list right now is a Cimarron 1892 in 45LC, and a Springfield M1A.
my markers

#5409 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:28 PM

the only gun on my must own list right now is a DTA SRS Covert in .308...
Mossberg 500 ZMB

"I wish I had 2000 feet. So i could shove 500 of them up each of your asses!!!!" Red Foreman

#5410 canscom

canscom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:54 AM

I want a M&P another Lee-Enfield a ISSC M22 and maybe a Mauser C96
Stop worrying about how you look, and start worrying about how you play. Get out on the field and play paintball the best you can, not stand at home in front of a mirror trying to figure out if your jersey matches your eyes.

#5411 WeAre138

WeAre138

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:49 AM

Thanks for the kind words gentlemen. Dont get me wrong I love the feeling of 17 rounds and quick reloads myself. Theres just something about the aesthetics of a revolver that I love.

This trade sorta screwed up my to buy list. Im left with a tax return and no real needs. This wont stop me from shopping around though.

Edited by WeAre138, 13 February 2013 - 01:52 AM.

#5412 Corrupted355

Corrupted355

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:04 AM

Wheelgunner for life, yo.
my markers

#5413 The_Economist

The_Economist

It's business time.

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

I just need a centerfire rifle to round out my arsenal. I really like the feel of a Mini-14, but prices on them are just insane right now. Maybe I'll settle for a bolt-action.

#5414 WeAre138

WeAre138

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:07 AM

I just need a centerfire rifle to round out my arsenal. I really like the feel of a Mini-14, but prices on them are just insane right now. Maybe I'll settle for a bolt-action.

Sort of the situation Im in at the moment. Were starting to see Ak's and Ar's trickiling in at decent prices here locally. I may have to blow some tax return money.

#5415 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

i would wait a couple months to get one... for reasons i am not allowed to discus in here.. the prices will drop soon... i've already seen prices coming down on Sigs and other AR's... companies like FN have always had high prices on the SCAR and FS2k platforms... so dont expect them to drop below 3 grand anytime soon... but, Colts, Sigs, Olympic Arms and such are all coming back to the 1000 dollar price range for AR's...
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5416 WeAre138

WeAre138

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:44 AM

i would wait a couple months to get one... for reasons i am not allowed to discus in here.. the prices will drop soon... i've already seen prices coming down on Sigs and other AR's... companies like FN have always had high prices on the SCAR and FS2k platforms... so dont expect them to drop below 3 grand anytime soon... but, Colts, Sigs, Olympic Arms and such are all coming back to the 1000 dollar price range for AR's...

Good to hear that. Though Ive been lucky here. My LGS never really raised prices too bad on us. Just had issues keeping stock obviously.

#5417 Panda Man

Panda Man

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:53 AM

meh Supply and Demand..

Now people are startling to chill on the numbers on what they buy and sell.

#5418 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:14 AM

Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5419 Watcher

Watcher

AKA CavDragoneb12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:35 PM

So, I want so many .45s right now that I feel bad for 9mm and started looking at 9mms.

The discovery I made is this:

I don't really like any 9mms...

I don't like Berettas, I don't like CZs, I don't like any of the Taurus models, I don't like Glocks, I don't like XDs, I don't like Kahrs, I don't like Walthers, I don't like Bersas, no Sigs, no Stoegers, no Witnesses, no Hi-powers...
The only two even remotely on my list are the Smith M&P-9 or the FNH FNS-9. And neither of those do I like as much as my Ruger SR9.
If I wanted a more "combat" oriented 9mm I'd get one of those, because the Ruger's accessory rail isn't very good, but really that would be the only reason.
I haven't found a steel-framed 9mm I like, yet.
I wouldn't be averse to a SR9-C, a LC9, a Kel-Tec 9mm, M&P shield... Just sub-compacts and only really because I hate .380.

Now for .45s, I know I want a SR1911 commander, a SR45, I'd get a M&P-45, I would be interested in a FNS-45 if they ever made one, my dream gun is a Nighthawk GRP in .45, I'd be interested in a 1911 officer in .45 (especially if Ruger ever made one), a lot of different 1911s interest me, perhaps a FNX-45 because of the insane magazine capacity, and I think I'd prefer a sub-compact of some kind in a .45.

So I am thinking of converting to the side of sacrilege and pursuing a 9mm 1911... The only steel frame auto I seem to like is a 1911, and having only .45s would kill me in the pocket.

I gotta start reloading...

Tippmann Tech
Everything Rob "Tyger" Rubin
Alaska's Coolest Paintball Webcomic!

"The frightening thing about [humans] is their utterly mindless determination to do whatever mindless thing it is they are determined to do."
- Douglass Adams, RIP

-

Posted Image

#5420 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:54 PM

there was a study done by a trauma team, i want to say based out of johns hopkins teaching hospital, that compared 9mm to .40 and .45 GSW victims.. what they found is what i consider common sense... more rounds on target is quick and accurate succession meant a lower change of survival for the victim... ~80% of GSW victims treated with single our double .40 or .45 wounds that were not to critical areas, such as the heart (center mass) or head, survived... where as victims that were treated with more then 3 9mm wounds to non vital areas say a fatality rate above 90%... we are talking 4-5 + 9mm wounds in the torso and abdomon as well as extremity shots... a hit the to chest isnt always fatal... if you shoot inside the "death box" (draw a box using your nipples as the outer limites, for 4 inches above and 4 inches bellow) as long as you are not shooting .22lr the chances of survival is slim... the abilityt o put more rounds on target is the bennefit of 9mm vs. 45... this is why you are seeing modern .45's with magazine capacities greater then 13 these days... this is also why the army still issues the m9 to its troops, 15+1 of 9mm, means i can put more rounds into my attacker at close range to increase the likelihood of them not surviving...

the FNS9 will be one of the singel best striker fired 9mm's on the market... FNH takes a very diffeent approach to their firearms then any other company out there... you look at the lock times and cycle times of the majority of semi autos and its very fast... the goal is to decrease teh reset time of teh action for a faster follow up shot if needed... well, FN says, why need af ollow up shot if your first shot can do the job? so, they have slowed down the cycle time on all their guns, which results in a lower felt recoil and a more accurate platform, and still retains the ability for a quick follow up shot... the delay blow back system of teh FNX 45 causes the barrel to unlock and come out of battery later then any other .45 ont he market, thats why an FNX45 feels like a 9mm when you shoot it... it tames the recoil so you can be mroe accurate and get a more accurate follow up shot.... same goes with every FN hang gun... my FsN felt like a .22lr recoil wise, and it had nearly twice the powder then any .22 in a hand gun... i've shot 22 magnums that had more recoil then the FsN... same withteh SCAR 16 and 17... a SCAR 17s shooting 168gr FMJ ball ammo will haev the recoil impulse of a standard 5.56 AR... i've yet to shoot an AR-15, or any 5.56 rifle, that has less felt recoil then a SCAR16s...

so, when looking at 9mm, look into the actual operation of the gun...

on another note... i've been doing alot of research on 1911's and such, as i want to get a .45 to carry, and maybe sell my shot gun to purchase one... i have come to the conclusion that i highly dislike the 1911... its a cool gun, but they are rife with problems from a gunsmithing standpoint... they are some of the most accurate guns on teh market, if you have the budget to make them so... i've shot a few, and worked on a few, and i have to say, i am not impressed with the level of care and TLC needed to keep a 1911 running at its peak performance... sure, its a great gun, but a modrn .45 can be just as accurate, and loads more reliable...

if you want a 9mm, i highly recommend the FNS9 or FNX9... depending on if you want striker fired single action or hammer fired DA/SA... i personally like the FNX line as youc an carry them locked and cocked and still on safe...

EDIT: the FNS is a double action striker system...

Edited by OEFVeteran, 02 March 2013 - 08:13 PM.

Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5421 Watcher

Watcher

AKA CavDragoneb12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:15 PM

Interesting info on the FN handgun line, I just may bump that one up above the M&P if I'm looking at another 9mm.

I also agree with the "more rounds on target is better than one big round" comment. But that being said, a bigger round has a higher percentage of entering or traumatising a critical area than a smaller round. Imagine bowling with a softball...

But I shoot .45 well. I won't say I shoot it better than 9mm, but I'm not worse or even slower than 9mm with it. I think my grip mechanics and weapon control has advanced to where I can handle recoil well, and for me the 1911 is a very shootable platform.

I've had 2 .45 1911 and loved them both. I like the ergos, trigger, and weight, not to mention the looks.
I don't find them hard to maintain and my SR1911 was more than accurate enough out of the box but with plenty of room to upgrade.

So for me, a .45 1911 is a great platform. They are just naturally expensive...

Edited by Watcher, 02 March 2013 - 09:16 PM.

Tippmann Tech

"The frightening thing about [humans] is their utterly mindless determination to do whatever mindless thing it is they are determined to do."
- Douglass Adams, RIP

-

Posted Image

#5422 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:44 PM

a 9mm will create a smaller permanant wound cavity then a .45... but, since a 9mm travels faster, a 9mm hollowpoint will created a bigger temporary wound cavity then a .45 hollow point... thats because a .45 is a big and slow round, the larger surface area causes it to slow down much faster, and it transfer more of its energy into the target upon impact... a .45 is a stopping round... regardless of where you hit the person, they still usually real back formthe impact because of the energy imparted... a 9mm round was designed as a "wall of lead" type round tobe fired from an SMG... its a high velocity through and through round that creates a large temp wound cavity... you will cause more damage to a persons internal organs with 3 9mm rounds then you will with 3 .45 rounds... according to military studies of course... they are using FMJ ball ammo...
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5423 Watcher

Watcher

AKA CavDragoneb12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:01 AM

Actually, this is a very interesting watch. It's long and a lecture (in other words, possibly boring and very monotone), but it is kind of eye opening.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=tku8YI68-JA

In a nutshell, rifle rounds vs pistol rounds is no contest when it comes to tissue damage, and it doesn't really matter what rifle round or pistol round we are talking about.

The reason why rifles are so much more effective is velocity. A bullet traveling at 3000fps will create a much larger wound channel than the same bullet traveling at 1000fps. A 2000 fps difference is very drastic, a 400 fps difference is negligible.

So .45 vs 9mm really isn't that much of a difference.

However, velocity aside, a larger round will create a larger permanent wound cavity than a smaller round. That's just obvious. It's the reason why a .308 is more effective against a deer than a .223.

Here's the kicker, though. I guess in handgun rounds, the temporary wound cavity more or less causes a stretching of the tissue and is a relatively insignificant wound. The only critical damage a handgun round causes is through the permanent wound cavity or by vital tissue destruction.

So, seeing that the average velocity of a "standard" (as in 124gr. FMJ ball) 9mm is about 1200fps and a "standard" .45 (230gr. FMJ ball) is about 900 fps, I'll take a 2.5mm greater diameter over a 300fps greater velocity. Especially since the permanent wound cavity causes more internal bleeding than the temporary cavity.
If the 9mm was more around 1500fps, then it might do significantly more damage than a .45 through temporary wound cavity. As is, you want to actually hit vital structures and/or cause the greatest amount of permanent wound cavity that you can.

You could rationalize it as bigger is better than smaller, but more is better than bigger.

So what it all boils down to is shootability. If you can put 5 9mm rounds on target as well as you could put 3 .45 rounds on target, then you actually put 45mm of lead into the target with 9mm and 34.5mm of lead into the target with .45.

4 rounds of .45 relatively equal 5 rounds 9mm, as far as collective diameter of lead.

If you can rip 9mm downrange really fast and accurately but it takes you time to shoot .45 effectively, no question go 9mm.

However, if you can shoot both equally, like it seems that I can, then bigger really is better.

Then again it is all situational. If I'm going to war I want as much ammo as I can carry. If that means I'm going smaller, I'll just be sure to give them +1.

Hell, if 4 .45 = 5 9mm, then a 1911 with an 8 rounder only does 66.66% of the damage as a 9mm than can hold 15 rounds... Actually, shot placement being as critical as it is you are far more potentially lethal with 9mm than with .45 simply because of ammunition capacity.

At the same time, lower velocity means lower penetration. So in a home-defense situation I'd rather have the likelihood that a .45 will stay in my target rather than go through it.

I like me my .45, always have always will (and yes, a lot of it is just irrational bias. I like how a .45 feels to shoot, I like the boom, I like the name, I like the size, I just like it). If I miss the "death box" and strike a shoulder I want to know that I've shattered some bones, not just made a hole and maybe broken one.

I have no problem relying on either one to defend my life.

Edited by Watcher, 03 March 2013 - 12:12 AM.

Tippmann Tech

- Douglass Adams, RIP

-

Posted Image

#5424 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:07 AM

i've seen varrious wound cavities from varrious calibers, hand gun and rifle... the roudns that didnt the most soft tissue damage are the highest velocity rounds... regardless of rifle or hand gun....

bow, i am a .45 fan, always have been, always will be... i prefer a lighter .45 projectile, with a +p load... faster and big... i've seen custom .45 loads that can reach velocities over 1100FPS... its not exactly safe, but ti can be done with the right barrel/action...

here is a little lesson on how bullets cause damage... being a combat medic, this was my bread and butter... what i was trained to treat.....

the body is made up os ~70-75% water... water is a great transmitter of energy and pressure waves, as water can not be compressed my any measurable degree, pressure waves pass through water and get magnified, to an extent... when a high velocity round passes into soft tissue, it creates a small entrance wound, that slowly expands, by way of cavitation, a temp wound cavity is created... the tissues expand fromteh imparted energy, as a result of the pressure waves passing through the liquid and soft tissue... this cavitation destroys connective tissues and obliterates cell walls... this is damage you cant see with the naked eye, at least not on a small scale... the extreme of this is when organs are litterally exploded by this cavitation... usually caused when a round passes through an organ, or within less then an inch... a .308 round can pass within an inch of a mans heart and the affect will be minimal... a 5.56 round can pass the same distance from a mans heart, and the heart will rupture... because of the difference in velocity... i;'ve seen deer that have been shot with both .30-06 and .25-06... same casing, same powder charge, different sized projectile... the chest cavity was relitivly in tact with the .30 cal round... but tthe .25 cal round turned the lunds into deer jelly... the tissues looked like they had been flash boiled then solidified...

the point i am trying to make is that multiple high velocity rounds regardless of size, are always better for ensuring your target goes down, then fewer slower rounds, regardless of size... so, if you can get a gun that can handle a .45+9 with a light projectile weight then thats the way to go... thats why i brought up the FNX 45... as cheap as 9mm may be, and as affective as it may be a .45 with tame recoil will be even more so, if youc an mimic the velocity and shooting characteristics... and the fact that you can load out with 15+1 .45acp in an FNX45, you get the best of all worlds... tame recoil, ability to run +p loads, large standard magazine capacity, and a light over all package
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5425 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,916 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:27 AM

I'm thinking of picking up an LE6920 for my first AR, when prices normalize. Hoping to get it for around $1000. Is that a good rifle and a realistic price?

#5426 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:55 AM

its a colt... i am an AR-15 purist... in my book, if its not Colt, Armalite (old serial numbers) or LRB then its not worth owning... i dont consider the LWRCI M6 and other piston guns base don teh ar-15 platform to be ar-15's, they are piston guns....

a Colt 9620 (chances are it wont be an LE branded lower) is as close to a military issue M4 as you can get as a civilian with out going through the longest and most indepth background check of your life...

1k for a 9620 is about right, they usually retail for 800-1000 depending on your area... not sure about the price increase, only exotics are priced high right now in my area... hell, SCAR 16's are going for 4k... i should have waited to sell mine...

i you do get a 9620 here are a few things to look for... if its used... make sure it still have a 1/7 barrel twist... 1/8 and 1/9 are junk barrels and you will only be able to shoot the lighter 5.56 ammo, the M855 ball ammo, or anything heavier then 55gr wont shoot well though a barrel with a slow twist, it will drop off much faster and be more prone to wind shift... also, if its decked out in all MOE stuff, junk it... the MOE hand guards, if they dont have the internal heat shielsing, will melt if you shoot enough rounds fast enough... i've seen it before... the hand guards are not supposed to melt like that, according to magpul... but plastic/polymer dont do well with high heat... the only stock i would run is a magpul UBR... the 16 inch SOCOM profiled barrel adds a bit of weight to the front end of the rifle... the UBR stock off sets that... also, the stock is adjustable without altering the cheak weld, which is a nice feature... i dont knwo about you, but i always found my beard catches betweent eh stock and the buffer tube... yes, i have a beard in afghanistan... one of the perks of being with SF....

the lancer advanced warfighter mag is the single best mag for AR's in my opinion... its the best combination of constant curve mags and straight neck mags that fit the ar-15 mag well... i dont much care for magpul mags, i actually really like the brownells mags with magpul followers... the reason the DoD still has contracts for STANG mags is because they stand up to abuse in the field and in combat then any other mag in production...

the ar-15 is a great weapon... but, you will need very specific items to clean it, and it will take a lot of TLC to keep it running at its peak performance... a dirty gun is a sad gun... and a dirty ar-15 will be a cantankerous whore to operate... my average cleaning time on an M4 after a mission, without fireing a single round, was an hour... if i did shoot, i spent no less then 2 hours cleaning it... my M4 my last deployment was said to be the cleanest issued rifle on Camp Buehring by the CENTCOM general can came and did an inspection of all the arms bunkers on post... i've never had a malfunction in the field that wast mag related... if your feed lips on yoru mags get damaged or bent, you will have double feeds and failure to feed issues... always check and service your mags... get a hoppes bore snake for 5.56 barrels, and pony up the cash for this tool kit... trust me on this... with this kit and a little time your AR-15 will never be cleaner... http://www.otistec.c...00AE119FA8F45DC

you are also going to want these http://www.brigadeqm...oductCode=TPN15 the star chamber, if not clean, will cause all sorts of issues... these are the only thing i turst to properly clean a star chamber

if you have any more questions about ar-15's and cleaning, shoot me a pm for a link to my facebok page, i can give you all kinds of pointers and answer your questions... the ar-15 is my bread and butter weapons wise... i made sure i knew that gun inside and out... only thing i never took apart was the trigger group, because i never had to

Edited by OEFVeteran, 03 March 2013 - 04:56 AM.

Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5427 Watcher

Watcher

AKA CavDragoneb12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:58 AM

I'm thinking of picking up an LE6920 for my first AR, when prices normalize. Hoping to get it for around $1000. Is that a good rifle and a realistic price?

Tons will tell you Colt is the best, and they are good. There are better, but then again you pay for better.

$1000 seems reasonable.

Then again, I'm nowhere near an expert on this subject.

I still dream of a PWS Mk-116. B)

Edited by Watcher, 03 March 2013 - 04:59 AM.

Tippmann Tech

- Douglass Adams, RIP

-

Posted Image

#5428 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:02 AM

Colt is the best when it comes to a DI system, otherwise a true AR-15... the only other receiver i would trust over a Colt is an LRB Arms M4... which i pan on building, with all colt internals and a green mountain M4 Socom profiled barrel, Knights rail system and a UBR stock with Miad grip... my next semi auto rifle will be an almost identical match to the rifle i was issued in the service
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5429 Watcher

Watcher

AKA CavDragoneb12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:38 PM

What is your take on companies like LaRue and BCM?

Tippmann Tech

- Douglass Adams, RIP

-

Posted Image

#5430 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:44 PM

They make good accessories, but I am a purist with the ar-15... colt armalite and lrb make civilian ar-15's off the origional stoner milspec blue prints, be it an m4 or m16 patterned rifle. I am not saying other companies make a bad receiver or internals, I am just a purist and a colt fan.
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5431 Corrupted355

Corrupted355

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:20 AM

I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with doing it, but in my opinion anyone who rips the fuel-hogging dinosaur of a V-8 out of an old '60s muscle car in favor of one of these new efficient, equally powerful fuel injected motors is a yellow bellied communist traitor that should be lynched and dragged behind their own car. But then again, I'm just bit of a purist because I believe that no one could ever come up with anything better than a 1960's era engine.
my markers

#5432 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:12 PM

That nade me laugh... but its not a fair comparison. I base my like and dislike on what I have used. Both m4's I was issued in the army were colts, and I abused them unlike most ar owners wouldnever dream of useing an ar... there are plenty of good ar's out on the market, I am just partial to colt, becase I've had to stake my life on colts before. I would gladdly do it again, so they won my loyalty as far as ar's go. I still think the SCAR is a bteer platform, ad the best performing ar type rifle on the market
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5433 Watcher

Watcher

AKA CavDragoneb12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:21 PM

On the topic of classic cars, I came across a 79 Plymouth Trail Duster with a 360 under the hood on Craigslist for $2000 and nearly creamed my pants! I'd LOVE to have that truck but 360 + low geared tranny + 40 miles round trip to work and back says "no sale"...

Tippmann Tech

- Douglass Adams, RIP

-

Posted Image

#5434 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:36 PM

My jeep has a v8, and while it loves to suck down gas I wouldnt drive anything else... the extra power and low end torque really help in the winter... ive pull 1 ton pick ups out of snow on the side of the road before, much to the amazement of the pick up driver...
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5435 Watcher

Watcher

AKA CavDragoneb12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:21 PM

Yeah, I love my Cherokee with the 4.0. It maybe be underpowered for what it is and it may only peak about 18mpg, but it has never let me down, has recovered a few vehicles, has towed a Chevy Cavalier 40 miles, has scrapped several hundred pounds of steel, and has plenty of room for whatever I can load up in it.

But, because of the types of deliveries I've been making at work, I need a vehicle that a forklift can easily access and unfortunately a lift-gate SUV isn't that.
I need either a pickup truck (Comanche?) or an SUV with a drop-down tailgate...

Tippmann Tech

- Douglass Adams, RIP

-

Posted Image

#5436 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:32 PM

Jeep is supposed to be releasing a j12 pickup... if they dont, dont waste your money on a comanche, they are junk trucks unless you sink thousands into them. If you still want a jeep, but also want a pickup, get a Brute converted wrangler....
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5437 Watcher

Watcher

AKA CavDragoneb12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:17 AM

Lol, I'm not made of money!

The Comanche is a great truck. It has the same long block 4.0 as the rest of the Jeep line for years to come, and as long as you get the AX-15 tranny bolted to a NP-231 transfer case you have a bulletproof driveline.
The only downside is the Renix system, because the later High-Output system gained 17 HP and 20 FtLbs of torque.
But I don't see a sinkhole for thousands of dollars...

I haven't heard about the J12, I may just have to wait and see on that one.

Edited by Watcher, 07 March 2013 - 12:19 AM.

Tippmann Tech

- Douglass Adams, RIP

-

Posted Image

#5438 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,916 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:06 AM

My local shop wants $1700 for a 6920. >.< Damnit, this sucks. The one time I actually have enough money for one, thanks in part to my tax refund which will finally be here friday, and having a job, and I can't get one because I refuse to pay an extra $700 just because some moron shot up a school.

I'd rather take that $1700, save up an extra $300, wait a few months, and buy two 6920s, instead of not waiting and buying only one 6920 with that $1700.

#5439 canscom

canscom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:26 AM

My local shop wants $1700 for a 6920. >.< Damnit, this sucks. The one time I actually have enough money for one, thanks in part to my tax refund which will finally be here friday, and having a job, and I can't get one because I refuse to pay an extra $700 just because some moron shot up a school.

I'd rather take that $1700, save up an extra $300, wait a few months, and buy two 6920s, instead of not waiting and buying only one 6920 with that $1700.

Sucks to suck :P

#5440 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:50 AM

the comanche's ive seen were all diesels, and they sucked.... i've not yet seen or dealt with a straight 6 comanche yet... but i have heard that the AMC powered ones had serious engine problems... most comanches i've seen for sale lately are all scrap yard trucks, which speaks volumes to me about the truck....

TK, is the 6920 your shop has the standard version or the MOE version?
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5441 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,916 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:07 PM

the comanche's ive seen were all diesels, and they sucked.... i've not yet seen or dealt with a straight 6 comanche yet... but i have heard that the AMC powered ones had serious engine problems... most comanches i've seen for sale lately are all scrap yard trucks, which speaks volumes to me about the truck....

TK, is the 6920 your shop has the standard version or the MOE version?

No idea, my guess would be the standard version.

I found another shop, that deals mainly with law enforcement, but they'll also sell to civilians. Their policy says that they can't sell some stuff to civilians based upon their contracts, but I think that was mainly Glocks, Sigs, Kahr, Fn, and something else, I didn't see Colt on that list, and I didn't see any disclaimer on their Colt ads. They have Le6920s for $1000, and the MOE version for $1060. What's the difference between the two? Because I think I like the look of the regular hand guard better, over that of the MOE version.

I've tried calling two different shops, and their lines are so busy they can't talk to anybody. So I'm thinking about popping in on a saturday to ask my question, and then seeing if they can reserve one for me if I make a down payment on it. I'll only be off like $130 or so, with tax, which will be covered by my next paycheck, but that won't be here until a week from tomorrow. I really hope they can sell me one, I don't want to pay $1700 for one.

#5442 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:11 PM

the MOE version comes with MagPul MOE goodies....

call up this LE shop... they might be able to hook you up... there is no diference between a 6920 and an le6920, other then the LE stamp on the receiver...

make sure you get a good cleaning kit for the AR-15... learn how to clean it, and make sure you are ready to spend as much, or more, time cleaning the rifle then you spend at the range... AR's are great guns, and maybe i am just a little OCD about cleaning mine (when i have one), but i've never had an m4 jam on me
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5443 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:15 PM

make sure you invest in a bore snake... theydont replace patches, but they do a damn good job of cleaning.... http://www.brownells...e-prod9687.aspx

and this is the cleaning kit i have for all my firearms... the only things its missing are teh scrapers and such that comes with the AR-15 soldiers cleaning kit and the Tasco cleaning stars...

http://www.brownells...-prod23063.aspx
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5444 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,916 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:37 PM

I tried to call them, called one shop three times, called another shop once, nobody is answering the phones. Luckily they have a shop about ten minutes south of me, and they're open on Saturday, when I finally have a day off. So I'll stop in and see if I can talk to someone for a few minutes to find out whether or not I can buy one.

#5445 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:39 PM

you could build your own AR out of Colt parts...
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5446 Watcher

Watcher

AKA CavDragoneb12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:50 PM

Well, the little 4 banger diesel was severely underpowered. I am unaware of any engine problems that plagued the AMCs with 4.0s, but there were other configurations early in the life of that small pickup.

Reason why so many are scrapyard trucks is A) they were designed to be cheap trucks from day one B ) they are late 80s/early 90s workhorses and C) they are a small truck with solid axles front and rear.
In my experience they can take a lot of abuse and don't desire a lot of maintenance, they can just keep going. Much like any other Jeep.
Chrysler made a lot of improvements after buying out AMC, but it was never a bad truck IMO.

Don't feel so bad TK, I missed ordering my AR by a day and the shop STILL hasn't caught up...

Edited by Watcher, 07 March 2013 - 12:51 PM.

Tippmann Tech

- Douglass Adams, RIP

-

Posted Image

#5447 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:02 PM

i am talking about the 70's comanches... the 80's ones, that look like a cherokee with a bed are not bad trucks... its the older style 70's comanches that were plauged with probelms, mostly due to being underpowered and rust buckets...

this is the J12... i really hope Jeep releases it, i would love to own one....

Posted Image

Posted Image

which is a remake/update of the old J10 pickup... which was also a truck that had issues with being under powered and rusting apart... they are collector items because there are not many left on the road that still operate...
http://en.wikipedia..../Jeep_Gladiator
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5448 Watcher

Watcher

AKA CavDragoneb12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:32 PM

Ok, yeah, I'll agree with the 70s pickups. But unless I'm mistaken the "Comanche" name wasn't used until the 80s...

Those J12s look BA!

Tippmann Tech

- Douglass Adams, RIP

-

Posted Image

#5449 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:36 PM

the Gladiator name was dropped in 71 i believe, in 73 they took the name comanche...

the J12 is supposed to be a purpose built off road vehicle form the factory... unlike the wrangler which is an on road vehicle with off road prowess, the J12 will be purpose built for off road... mush like the Wrangler FC

to get this back on topic... this is the upper and lower i want for my AR-15 build... JV Precision milled LRB Arms MilSpec M4 reveivers... made to teh same specs as Colt, .001 tolerances...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by OEFVeteran, 07 March 2013 - 01:48 PM.

Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5450 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,916 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:28 PM

Sure, I could build my own, but then I'd have to do even more research into what parts to get, what a good price would be, where I could buy them, and how I have to put it together. Or I could just buy a whole one and start playing immediately.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users