5998 replies to this topic

#5451 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

TechPB's Resident Angry Veteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:31 PM

you go to your local FFL, buy a lower, then search the internet for the upper you want... you can buy a complete lower for 300...

i priced out a brand new ar-15 with the parts i wanted and it came close to 2 grand... if i buy all the parts and build it myself, its closer to 1600...
Shocktech Aftershock SFL team cocker, serial number 1
Mini Orracle pump, Eclipse internals, Sanchez Machine pump kit and grip frame
Mossberg 500 ZMB

OSG Paintball biggest and best field in NH... show them some love

"I wish I had 2000 feet. So i could shove 500 of them up each of your asses!!!!" Red Foreman

#5452 TK-421

TK-421

Me So Horny! :D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,896 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:55 PM

According to some random forums I found with google, if it doesn't say in the description that it's restricted to LE, then it can be bought by civilians. I just hope they have them in stock. And apparently they have a really good used section where you can find some good deals, so I'll make sure to browse that when I'm there. Just 9 more hours of work, and then I'll head over on Saturday morning. I'm so close to my first AR, it feels nice.

#5453 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:12 PM

most LEO places are not allowed to sell to civilians, regardless of weather oor not a civilian can own the product or not... most LEO places sell at a cheaper price because thats a perk of being an LEO... perk of being a vet... most LEO places will sell to us regardless...
Mossberg 500 ZMB

"I wish I had 2000 feet. So i could shove 500 of them up each of your asses!!!!" Red Foreman

#5454 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,896 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:02 AM

This place will sell to civilians, they just will sell it at the civilian price. We don't get the discount like the LEOs do, but we still get the same stuff, from what I've read on their FAQ page, and using google. So I'm hoping the $1000 is the civilian price, and not the LEO price. But we'll see. They usually have 3 or 4 different prices listed, so that different people can see what they'd pay. But for the rifles, they only list one price, and don't say who specifically the price is for.

#5455 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:13 AM

if your local shop is selling for 1700, thats likely the price you will get from the LEO as well... some areas were hit with a steep price increase, some wernt... luckily my area wasnt... and my local gun shop was prepared for the buying spree and stocked up on certain items...
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5456 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,896 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:50 AM

That's entirely possible, we'll just have to wait and see. Whenever I call, they say they have a very high call volume, and I'm on hold forever, so I'm hoping that means that they're busy enough that they can make big enough orders that they can get stuff at a decent price. And if that's the case, then I'd guess the reason my local shop has one for $1700 is because they order stuff one or two at a time, and can't order in bulk to bring down the cost. I'll stop by on saturday if I get up early enough, or on monday, since I don't work, and we'll see what they say.

#5457 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,896 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:37 PM

Sweet, the 6920 is only $995 for civilians. Not surprisingly, however, they're out of stock, and they have no idea when they'll get more in stock. It could be one month, six months, or even longer, which sucks.

#5458 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:43 AM

Colt was recently granted a contract extension for the military, some 10-15 thousand m4's last i heard, they had 5 years to complete the order... thats why Colts have been scarce on the civilian market... though, i am still trying to track one down... i want to build up a colt to match (as closely as i can till i can find a class 3 lower) the M4 i was issued in the army
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5459 Watcher

Watcher

AKA CavDragoneb12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:22 PM

My tax return is coming in soon, but AKs and ARs are still hard to find and being gouged locally.

But, it might be Mini-30 time!

We shall see B)

Tippmann Tech
Everything Rob "Tyger" Rubin
Alaska's Coolest Paintball Webcomic!

"The frightening thing about [humans] is their utterly mindless determination to do whatever mindless thing it is they are determined to do."
- Douglass Adams, RIP

-

Posted Image

#5460 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:36 PM

i am only getting 450 with my tax return....
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5461 canscom

canscom

Lest we forget the soldiers. who saved our country

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,077 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:16 PM

I only get 240 and thats four payments
Stop worrying about how you look, and start worrying about how you play. Get out on the field and play paintball the best you can, not stand at home in front of a mirror trying to figure out if your jersey matches your eyes.

#5462 Watcher

Watcher

AKA CavDragoneb12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:40 PM

Sorry to hear that, fellas. I'm expecting about a thousand.

Oh, decisions. Looks I could get an AK for about as much as a Mini, or I could add some and get an AR, but the AR I really want is much more expensive than the other two...

Then do I get the AK in 7.62 or 5.45, is it worth having 2 carbines in the same caliber or do I go with the "more the merrier" school of thought?
I heard 5.45 is a lot cheaper than 7.62...

Anyone have AKs in either or both calibers? Opinions?

Edited by Watcher, 19 March 2013 - 04:46 PM.

Tippmann Tech

"The frightening thing about [humans] is their utterly mindless determination to do whatever mindless thing it is they are determined to do."
- Douglass Adams, RIP

-

Posted Image

#5463 PB2011

PB2011

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:57 PM

http://www.ar15.com/..._it_works_.html

I'm tempted to try this. Last I checked ATF said it's legal as long as it's only for personal use. Thoughts?
It's a trap! -Admiral Ackbar, a long long time ago.

#5464 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:01 PM

no long term torture testing has been done on these that i've seen... only a few rounds fired... i dint trust it... its not a high strength polymer like FN uses
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5465 PB2011

PB2011

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:21 PM

As long as you use a legitimate upper, shouldn't it keep it's integrity? The chamber and pressure is in the upper almost exclusively, right?

#5466 HeroForADay

HeroForADay

• 8,813 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:27 PM

Recoil and the subsequent vibrations are sent through the lowers as well. Low quality polymers may crack over time from the operation of the firearm.

I'm in the market for a new 9mm pistol, been looking at the M&P, and looking for a semi auto rifle (a-la older wooden stock m1a) in .223/5.56.

Edited by HeroForADay, 19 March 2013 - 06:29 PM.

#5467 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,896 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:31 PM

I thought I saw a video that they did like a 1,000 round test, and I think it held up okay. But I could be wrong, I don't remember exactly what I watched. I think it might be cool to do for shits and giggles, but I wouldn't actually trust it. It'd be for range use only, if I made one.

Tax wise, I got back $444 from the federal government, and that all went to REI for backpacking gear. A rifle will have to wait until after summer. According to my calculations, I can either save up enough cash and buy a rifle, or get the gear for backpacking, so I'm going backpacking.

#5468 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:16 PM

there is more stress on the lower then you would think... on an AR-15 the lower absorbs all the felt recoil
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5469 PB2011

PB2011

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:46 PM

http://www.americans...lower-receiver/

Did more research and stumbled across this. Its a lot cheaper than regular lower receivers, and besides the obvious milling to be done, I'm not sure why. Thoughts on this as well?

#5470 canscom

canscom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,077 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:46 PM

That seem shady to me seem like a lower you would buy it from some dude behind the local 7-11
Stop worrying about how you look, and start worrying about how you play. Get out on the field and play paintball the best you can, not stand at home in front of a mirror trying to figure out if your jersey matches your eyes.

#5471 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:09 PM

do you have access to a mill as well as the measurements for the trigger/hammer recess area? if not, then dont waste your money... its not classified as a firearm because its not a finished lower... it needs to be milled, serialized, and hard anodized to be finished... at the end of the day, you are talking about 300 dollars worth of work on a 150 dollar unfinished lower... you could get a finished ARB lower for 250, if they were in stock
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5472 ibunkeru666

ibunkeru666

what do i type here?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:04 PM

Hey guys, its been awhile, but I thought I'd share my rifle project with you guys. I started with a Savage MKII FV-SR.

Posted Image

Boyds Tacticool stock.

Posted Image

Marine Tex added as texturing.

Posted Image

Posted Image

More Marine Tex for the pillar/glass bedding job.

Posted Image

Bedding curing.

Posted Image

The finished product so far, Now its just waiting to be sent out for Cerakote.

Edited by ibunkeru666, 23 March 2013 - 01:10 PM.

Posted Image
Ion Owners Group #1 ETEK OWNERS GROUP #17

#5473 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:18 PM

not bad...

i used to do custom sanded and oiled finishes for wood stocks for people back when i was in college... i talked to a guy i did a thumb through hole stock on back in 06.... hasnt had to re-oil it since and the finsh has held up great... doesnt stain, doesnt swell with water like i've seen some oiled stocks do in damp environments...

what i used to do is remove the factory ploy finish on the stock, or the factory stain... then start with a 60grit sand paper and get finer and finer up until 1000 grit to do a natural contour/shaping and smoothing of the wood... gave a nice silky smooth finish where not checkered/stippled...

for the oil... i pretty much gave the stock a bath in warm linseed oil over night... the warm oil caused the pores in the wood to open up and the stock ended up soaking up the oil like a sponge... to "seal" in the oil i would let it drip dry for an hour, then put the stock in a fridge over night to cool the whole thing down and force any excess oil out... made for a fery tough and long lasting finish on the wood...

i did this to a stock i had custom drilled for a mauser kar98k... the oil really brough out the reds and browns contrast in the stock.... looked sharp... wish i still had pictures of those stocks...
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5474 ibunkeru666

ibunkeru666

what do i type here?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:00 PM

not bad...

i used to do custom sanded and oiled finishes for wood stocks for people back when i was in college... i talked to a guy i did a thumb through hole stock on back in 06.... hasnt had to re-oil it since and the finsh has held up great... doesnt stain, doesnt swell with water like i've seen some oiled stocks do in damp environments...

what i used to do is remove the factory ploy finish on the stock, or the factory stain... then start with a 60grit sand paper and get finer and finer up until 1000 grit to do a natural contour/shaping and smoothing of the wood... gave a nice silky smooth finish where not checkered/stippled...

for the oil... i pretty much gave the stock a bath in warm linseed oil over night... the warm oil caused the pores in the wood to open up and the stock ended up soaking up the oil like a sponge... to "seal" in the oil i would let it drip dry for an hour, then put the stock in a fridge over night to cool the whole thing down and force any excess oil out... made for a fery tough and long lasting finish on the wood...

i did this to a stock i had custom drilled for a mauser kar98k... the oil really brough out the reds and browns contrast in the stock.... looked sharp... wish i still had pictures of those stocks...

Thats a really good idea with the bath of linseed oil. I may end up using that if I do a restoration project. As for this stock, Im still debating the color I want. I really like the FDE, but I am also thinking more brownish green. The whole rifle will be refinished in it. Its all for the "tacticool" look, but if I'm gunna do it, I'm gunna do it right.
Posted Image

#5475 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:44 PM

go with all FDE.... then get some rattle can paint and do an outline camo in different colors with local fauna... if done right, it turns out really well
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5476 ibunkeru666

ibunkeru666

what do i type here?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:11 PM

go with all FDE.... then get some rattle can paint and do an outline camo in different colors with local fauna... if done right, it turns out really well

The only issue with that, is I live on the east coast and in less than 6 months I am going to Montana for school (with this rifle) and making trips back home for christmas/summer. So it would be cool if i could change the fauna spray paint, but I feel like making one or the other permanent it would stick out in one of the places. Is there a way of doing it temporarily?
Posted Image

#5477 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:25 PM

use the krylon removable camo system... you need to use a paint stripper to remove the camo, but it wont harm the curacoat/cerekote at all
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5478 ibunkeru666

ibunkeru666

what do i type here?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:19 PM

use the krylon removable camo system... you need to use a paint stripper to remove the camo, but it wont harm the curacoat/cerekote at all

Sweet deal, that is exactly what I am looking for. Thanks for the tip.

Edited by ibunkeru666, 23 March 2013 - 10:19 PM.

Posted Image

#5479 Watcher

Watcher

AKA CavDragoneb12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:28 PM

Looks pretty good so far, I am actually getting ready to sporterize my Mosin Nagant M91/30.

I have a love a M44 carbine, so I don't feel so bad bastardizing my M91/30. On top of that, they are dirt cheap and everywhere anyway, mine is a "nothing special" 1942 Izhevsk made rifle, and it isn't perfect. It should be re-crowned because the last person (or the last soldier) to use it before me cleaned from the muzzle end with the rod and wore the crown out of round. On top of this, the stock is a bit rough, the cleaning rod won't stay in (nut is stripped, didn't know this until I shot it a bunch and the cleaning rod flew out!), and since it is open iron sights but long and heavy I infinitely prefer the M44 for off-hand shooting.

I did two things already. I ordered an ATI polymer "Monte-Carlo" style stock, and I got a 3/8" dovetail to 7/8" pic adapter. Stock isn't here yet, but I knocked out the drift-pins and removed the rear-sight so I could mount the adapter to the rear-sight platform. Solid, clamped on from the sides with a vertical set-screw. Cranked down nice and tight, it's not gonna move.

Once the stock comes in I can fit the action to it, then I can start the machine work on the rifle. I'm going to turn a new bolt-handle on the lathe at work to replace the short stub of a bolt handle that sticks straight out to the side. I'm going to hack it off and weld on a new, longer one at a 45° or greater angle down.

Once I do that, I'm going to put the barrel (barreled action if possible) in the lathe and cut the end off just short of the front-sight base, thus eliminating the front sight entirely. All I have to do is feed in a chamfering tool to re-crown it and it should be an improvement over it's current condition.

And while this is going on I'll be looking for a decent long-relief scope (handgun scope?) and a set of low rings. Hopefully I can keep the glass around $200, under $250 for it + rings would be ideal.

Then I'll be done! Should have a sweet hunting rifle and a decent range-gun to sit at the 225yd lane and take pot-shots with. Plus if I'm lucky, no-one will know it's a Mosin so I can watch their brains explode when I tell them :lol:

$100 M91/30, $60 stock, $20 mount, $250? scope setup, hand-modified bolt/barrel, and $.35 a round.

Way better than a $1000 Remington 700 and $.50+ a round, at least for my purposes.

Edited by Watcher, 25 March 2013 - 06:35 PM.

Tippmann Tech

- Douglass Adams, RIP

-

Posted Image

#5480 Panda Man

Panda Man

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:03 AM

good luck finding mosin ammo ;)

#5481 Watcher

Watcher

AKA CavDragoneb12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:56 AM

good luck finding mosin ammo ;)

B)

Tippmann Tech

- Douglass Adams, RIP

-

Posted Image

#5482 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:46 PM

7.62x54r has been imported by the connex box full... an extimated billion rounds in an article i read about the soviet union were exported to the US alone... in the former USSR there are warehouses the size of Gilette Stadium stacked floor to cieling with ammo boxes of 7.62 calibers... fining AK 47/74 and mosin ammo wont be hard as long as your local shops keep a good supply coming in
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5483 Watcher

Watcher

AKA CavDragoneb12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:33 PM

Plus, a few companies are producing brass cased 7.62x54r.
I know of at least one that the local Cabela's stocks. Much more expensive than surplus, but just as available.

Tippmann Tech

- Douglass Adams, RIP

-

Posted Image

#5484 canscom

canscom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,077 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:29 AM

1.anyone have an easy way of a easy way to mount a scope without cant and 2. whats the proper way to set the focus on a scope

#5485 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:26 AM

what gun is it going on?
Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5486 Watcher

Watcher

AKA CavDragoneb12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:29 PM

Ok, when setting up a scope proper, you will need the following:

Rings, rifle, scope, vise or gunrest, a bubble-level (preferably a small one), a pencil, the appropriate tools for screws, blue loctite, and some time.

First things first, setting the focus. Do this first because it will affect the eye-relief of the scope. It is minimal, but still a factor.

Set the scope's magnification and parallax as low as it will go, if possible. Look through the scope at a white wall or otherwise neutral background, it doesn't matter how far away but not super close. Get an idea of where the eye relief is, and hold the scope there. Close your eyes, wait a few seconds, and open your eyes (you should open your eyes and be already looking through the scope, open both eyes at once). What you are going for is an instantly clear reticule, your eyes should not have to focus at all. Adjust the focus if necessary, and repeat.

Once this is set, mount your rings on the rifle and set the scope loosely in it. Now hold the rifle as you would when shooting, and do the close eyes/open eyes thing. Again, your eyes should not have to search for focus, the scope should be instantly clear and in proper eye relief. Where your face naturally sits is where the eye relief should be set, so you aren't putting strain on your neck muscles. Once it is set, scratch a line in pencil on the scope tube along a scope ring.

Take the scope off, leave the bottom half of the rings on. Set the rifle in the rest/vice. Pick a flat spot on the receiver (or if none exists, the bottom half of the rings will work), and set the bubble level on it. Get the rifle nice and level
Set the scope in the rings. Set the level on the elevation turret, and set the scope as level.

Carefully set the ring tops on and thread the screws in, making sure the pencil line is correct. Make sure you tighten the screws down evenly. Snug them up, but don't make them super tight.

Pick the rifle up and check for proper eye relief. If it is incorrect, try again.

Once it is set, one at a time take a ring screw out, loctite it, and tighten it down firmly. One at a time so you don't move the scope. Don't over tighten the screws either, you don't want to crush the scope. "Short side of the allen wrench" tight.

And once the loctite dries you are done! Target focus should be done via the parallax adjustment from now on, since the scope focus was set for your eye against the wall.

And that's it!

Edited by Watcher, 28 March 2013 - 06:45 PM.

Tippmann Tech

- Douglass Adams, RIP

-

Posted Image

#5487 canscom

canscom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,077 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:29 PM

Alright thanks Watcher

#5488 ibunkeru666

ibunkeru666

what do i type here?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:05 PM

Does anyone have any experience with lapping bores, or polishing the internals of a bolt of a bolt action? I am thinking this would be a good "next step" as a gunsmithing project and possibly furthering the potential accuracy of my project rifle.
Posted Image

#5489 Nick

Nick

USAF Combat Camera

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:05 PM

Does anyone have any experience with lapping bores, or polishing the internals of a bolt of a bolt action? I am thinking this would be a good "next step" as a gunsmithing project and possibly furthering the potential accuracy of my project rifle.

yeah, i've used a lapping jig from PTG on R700 bolts.

It improved lug contact.

#5490 Watcher

Watcher

AKA CavDragoneb12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:55 PM

So I just found out you can't own a suppressor in Illinois. Like, at all. Not even with a FFL or doing the ATF paperwork.

Makes my Mosin project a little easier since I don't have to thread the barrel and make a suppressor for it now, though I haven't really done to it much since getting the stock. I need a weekend to just go up to the shop and bring it and knock everything out at once.

Speaking of which, if anyone is interested in checking it out I made a video of my lathe turning a part. I was bored at work and noticed I could reach the light fixture above my machine. I also discovered my new phone (Motorola DROID RazR MAXX) has a time-lapse function on the video-camera! Thought I'd give it a try.

It's a process to make those pieces, the video only covers about 1/6th of the work. The finished product is a 1.5" diameter cylinder with a 1/8" radius corner at either end, one end is drilled and tapped for a bolt, and a 5° flat is cut along the side. It's a round wedge, essentially, gets shoved into a hydraulic machine and a bolt is used to pull it tight to hold a large punch in place. We had an order come in for 74, I did half of it about a month ago to satisfy them while we did other job we had piling up. Now that the pile is shorter I'm making the remaining 36.

The whole process takes about 2 hours per part. Multiply it by 36 parts and I have a 72 hour work load. Takes me almost 2 weeks to make them all. And that's half the work order... For round wedges...

Most people don't realize how long it takes to make the simplest things. A lot of the time is spent measuring and making sure the parts rotate without run-out, since we have such tight tolerances to abide by, and a lot of it is just the material we cut.
If we are aluminum or something we can run the machine super fast and cut deep because it's so soft. If I'm cutting some really tough steel I have to run the machine pretty slow and I can only take off, like, .025 at a time or I break the cutter.

Edited by Watcher, 06 April 2013 - 11:59 PM.

Tippmann Tech

- Douglass Adams, RIP

-

Posted Image

#5491 Panda Man

Panda Man

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:13 AM

Well S. 649 is coming closer... I really hope there is no restrictions. The Universal background check really doesn't phase me like I thought it would have after reading about it.

#5492 Watcher

Watcher

AKA CavDragoneb12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:22 PM

Well S. 649 is coming closer... I really hope there is no restrictions. The Universal background check really doesn't phase me like I thought it would have after reading about it.

Be careful what you say, remember that politics are forbidden here...

Tippmann Tech

- Douglass Adams, RIP

-

Posted Image

#5493 Corrupted355

Corrupted355

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:36 PM

Screw it. This thread has been all but dead lately, and its the only reason I come here anymore. So if they wanna ban me for alluding to thread related politics, so be it.

The major problem, at least here, is that background checks are gonna screw with the private gun sale market. In order to sell a revolver to my buddy, I would legally have to sell it to an FFL dealer, and then they would have to sell it to my buddy. My buddy now has to pay an extra $60-70 on a $500 gun. I've backed out of deals over way less than sixty bucks.
"Speak softly and carry a big stick"
my markers

#5494 Panda Man

Panda Man

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:34 AM

^maybe.

You might be able to find some FFL Dealers who will do the Transfer next to nothing. My local gun shop said if a "Universal" Check were to happen they would only charge $10.

#5495 Corrupted355

Corrupted355

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:30 PM

Yup. My local guy says $15. But the tax is what's gonna hurt.

We do raffles all the time at work. A universal would grind that shit to a hault.
my markers

#5496 dhunt91

dhunt91

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:36 AM

^^^ didnt the bill get killed yesterday anyways?

#5497 Corrupted355

Corrupted355

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:42 AM

All the compromises got shot down, but as I understand it the original iteration is still on the table.
my markers

#5498 Panda Man

Panda Man

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,315 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:44 AM

I just hope prices begin to fall... They are still high for some guns... and I haven't seen a Mini-14/30 in months...

#5499 dhunt91

dhunt91

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:03 PM

^^^ come to texas i see them at every gun show. still a little high but at least you can find them.

#5500 ibunkeru666

ibunkeru666

what do i type here?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:18 PM

Screw it. This thread has been all but dead lately, and its the only reason I come here anymore. So if they wanna ban me for alluding to thread related politics, so be it.

The major problem, at least here, is that background checks are gonna screw with the private gun sale market. In order to sell a revolver to my buddy, I would legally have to sell it to an FFL dealer, and then they would have to sell it to my buddy. My buddy now has to pay an extra $60-70 on a $500 gun. I've backed out of deals over way less than sixty bucks.

Same here man. Maybe if we keep it gun related politcs they wont care lol. The whole private gun sale background check thing seems odd to me. Either they'd have to ban private sales, or force FFLs to play middle man between two private party sales. Its already illegal to sell a gun to a felon, So I honestly think this is just big brothers way of attempting to track and register our firearms. Not to mention, with sequestration I dont understand who they think is going to process all this new paper work. Apparently BATFE is backed up far more than normal, and they are only losing personel who process said paperwork.
Posted Image

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users