• Please log in to reply
5998 replies to this topic

#5701 TK-421

TK-421

Me So Horny! :D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,885 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:32 PM

I believe my barrel is chrome lined. I know the inside of the bcg seems to be silver, just not super shiny silver like I'm used to seeing on chromed car bumpers.

#5702 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

TechPB's Resident Angry Veteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:35 PM

the chrome you see on car parts are brite dipped to polish them... the chrome on gun barrels and parts are not brite dipped or pickled... its just the raw chrome... if your barrel is hard chrome lined, which makes it a milspec barrel, then you are good to go out of the box

Shocktech Aftershock SFL team cocker, serial number 1
Mini Orracle pump, Eclipse internals, Sanchez Machine pump kit and grip frame
Mossberg 500 ZMB

OSG Paintball biggest and best field in NH... show them some love

"I wish I had 2000 feet. So i could shove 500 of them up each of your asses!!!!" Red Foreman

#5703 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,885 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:37 PM

Okay, so then I should expect to see the same silver down the barrel as I do in the bcg? And if I do, then I don't need to worry about breaking it in?

#5704 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:43 PM

when you look down the bore, you should see a clean shiny bore... if you see sports that are not shiny, then you need to run a partch or bore snake, and oil it, thats build up of carbon and other grime... even a none hard chrome lined barrel will look silverish when you look down it...

best thing you can get for on the fly barrel cleaning is a bore snake... to use on the range, clear and safe the rifle, lock the bolt to the rear, thread the copper end of the snake inthe the breach, feed it out the end of the barrel and pull it through... repest till clean... i usually put a drop of oil on the front of the snake and the tail to aide in cleaning and protection

Mossberg 500 ZMB

"I wish I had 2000 feet. So i could shove 500 of them up each of your asses!!!!" Red Foreman

#5705 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,885 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:20 PM

I picked myself up a bore snake at the gun shop, it's in the upper left of the photo in the clear box, so I have that. And I have a small bottle of liquid CLP that I got in my cleaning kit when I got my Glock. And I won an Otis Military Issue 5.56 cleaning kit on eBay that should have another small bottle of clp, along with the proper patch holder and cleaning brush.

Were you issued an Otis kit in the military? In the pictures I see the kit contains two brushes, but I can't tell if they're both the same, or if one is a bore brush and one is a thick brush for the chamber without the usual bore extension, or what. Won't know until I get it, but if you've used one, and know what the second brush is, then it'd be nice to know what the brushes are. Because if one of them isn't a chamber brush, then I need to buy one.

#5706 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:29 PM

yeah, we had the otis kits... the came with everything needed to clean our machineguns, rifles, and side arms... the kit i have though is an otic/brownells complete kit, i can clean most firearms and calibers on teh market with it, well worth the investment

Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5707 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,885 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:07 PM

I'm just looking for a basic range kit right now. I wanted the Otis kit because it's all one small self-contained unit, and will fit neatly in my gear bag. For at home stuff, I'll construct a bigger cleaning kit, and use a one piece cleaning rod.

#5708 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:44 PM

this is what i have, with a few ods and ends i've added over time

http://www.brownells...-prod23063.aspx

Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5709 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,885 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:35 PM

I was looking at a kit like that, but then I go through the list of what it has and go "Won't use this, won't use that, won't use that." So I want to piece a kit together myself, instead of buying one already completed.

#5710 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,824 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:21 AM

I use a kleenbore kit for my guns. It does the job for me. Though a bore snake is also a great thing to have.

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#5711 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,885 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:43 AM

Kleenbore made the cleaning kit I got when I got my pistol. It's not a bad little kit, wish it had a place for a bore brush though, but it doesn't, oh well, I just keep the brush in it's tube in a different pocket.

#5712 Corrupted355

Corrupted355

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:28 AM

Eugene Stoner was working for Armalite when he came up with the AR platform. "AR-15" literally stands for "Armalite model 15". However, Armalite only ever manufactured a very small number of test rifles. They began licensing production to Colt, who then was able to sell the design to the military. Armalite was mainly a design firm, not a manufacturer. Even the weapons that brandished the Armalite brand were usually sub contracted. They effectively closed up shop in the '70's.

In the 90's, Armalite was re-acquired by an American soldier, and started manufacturing their own products, even developing new ones. Reviews may be touch and go, but their rifles check all the right boxes. If I were in the market for one, I would not pass up a good deal on an Armalite.
"Speak softly and carry a big stick"
my markers

#5713 That one guy

That one guy

TechPB's most loved member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:23 PM

How does an Mosin Nagant 7.62x52R sound for $175 and comes with all accessories such as baynet,ammo thing,and a few other things?

Edited by That one guy, 31 July 2013 - 01:23 PM.

You doubt it but yet you don't know crap about it.... People may THINK they know me, but trust me they DON'T.

#5714 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,824 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:58 PM

How does an Mosin Nagant 7.62x52R sound for $175 and comes with all accessories such as baynet,ammo thing,and a few other things?

Sounds about right depending on the model.
$150-175 is  pretty standard for a hardwood-stocked round receiver 91/30 with all its accessories.

My laminate-stocked round receiver 91/30 was about the same price, but without the accessories.

Hex receivers usually command a little bit more in price (~$200).

Edited by Antonious, 31 July 2013 - 02:04 PM.

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#5715 canscom

canscom

Lest we forget the soldiers. who saved our country

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:52 PM

Eugene Stoner was working for Armalite when he came up with the AR platform. "AR-15" literally stands for "Armalite model 15". However, Armalite only ever manufactured a very small number of test rifles. They began licensing production to Colt, who then was able to sell the design to the military. Armalite was mainly a design firm, not a manufacturer. Even the weapons that brandished the Armalite brand were usually sub contracted. They effectively closed up shop in the '70's.

In the 90's, Armalite was re-acquired by an American soldier, and started manufacturing their own products, even developing new ones. Reviews may be touch and go, but their rifles check all the right boxes. If I were in the market for one, I would not pass up a good deal on an Armalite.

So what should I look for when buying a AR (not that Ill have one anytime soon damn gun laws)

Stop worrying about how you look, and start worrying about how you play. Get out on the field and play paintball the best you can, not stand at home in front of a mirror trying to figure out if your jersey matches your eyes.

#5716 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,824 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:07 PM

Avoid Olympic Arms and DPMS and you should be alright.

Most other AR's both my friends and I have had experience with (Colt, S&W, Rock River Arms, Stag Arms, and Bushmaster) tend to run pretty well. Though my experience is rather limited as I've maybe put only a mag or so through each (They were either rentals or belong to my friends).

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#5717 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:00 PM

old bushmaster is fine... new bushmaster is made by Freedom Arms/Remington... i dont have personal experience with new bushamster ar's, but i've heard nothing but headache from people that own the remington ar's... quality control with remington has gone down hill in the past decade... the only good thing remington makes these days are the high end shot guns and high end bolt guns...

Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5718 Corrupted355

Corrupted355

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:20 PM

I must have been out of the game for a while. I bought four Tula 91/30's for eighty bucks a piece a while back.

So what should I look for when buying a AR (not that Ill have one anytime soon damn gun laws)

Most companies make decent AR's these days. In general, you get what you pay for, but you can still pay truly astronomical prices for extremely average AR's that just have a bunch of accessories tacked on.  Top of the line manufacturers like LaRue and Bravo Company Machine may not be worth it if you're on a budget, but you won't see any major differences except when you look at minute details like extreme range accuracy or a smoother operating action. There used to be a checklist that you'd want to go through to make sure you got a quality AR, but most companies tick all or most of those boxes these days.

"So you want to buy an AR" article:

http://forums.officer.com/t81462/

That being said, stay away with anything that comes with a polymer receiver.  There are some good polymer receivers out there, but I have yet to see any of them on a factory rifle. Olympic Arms and DPMS are iffy. I'd only go to them if I were desperate, and even then I'd probably buy all the parts and assemble my own before I'd do that. Colt, Armalite, Rock River, Stag, S&W, Adams Arms, Spike's Tactical, Bravo Company Machine, LaRue, Alexander Arms, CMMG, and Les Baer will all give you adequate to exceptional rifles. I'd be tempted to stay away from Bushmaster, because they were just acquired by Remington, and that company has been like poison to everything they touch. Take Marlin for example: exceptional balance of quality and value on their own, but can't make a rifle that fires two rounds in a row after Remington takes over. It's almost like Remington buys a company and then tanks it just to eliminate the competition.

my markers

#5719 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,824 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:20 PM

I must have been out of the game for a while. I bought four Tula 91/30's for eighty bucks a piece a while back

The price of everything went up this past year. Now the only things you can find for less than $100 are old surplus guns that barely make the "good" rating, which I wouldn't recommend.

Edited by Antonious, 31 July 2013 - 11:28 PM.

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#5720 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,885 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:36 PM

I must have been out of the game for a while. I bought four Tula 91/30's for eighty bucks a piece a while back.

Ever since Newtown and all the new gun legislation, gun and accessories/ammo prices have gone through the roof. At aimsurplus.com you used to be able to get a Mosin with the bayonet, sling, ammo pouch, cleaning kit and oil can for $90. Now you can only get the mosin itself, and the bayonet, for $120. And it's not very often they have them in stock anymore. My local store says it'll cost about $150+ to get one from them. And that's the mosin only, I don't think it'd include a bayonet from them.

#5721 dhunt91

dhunt91

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:19 AM

Ill have to contradict the Statment about the dpms. iv had mine fore a few years now and its been thro over 30 different 3gun matches and been used as a hunting rifle and I have had no problems with it at all

#5722 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:53 AM

DPSM guns seem to be hit or miss, same with Olympic Arms

Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5723 Corrupted355

Corrupted355

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:25 AM

I have to agree. I think DPMS and Olympic probably make fine rifles for the most part, but have sub-par quality control.
my markers

#5724 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:39 AM

i would say the same with ruger, being my experience with them, but ruger has some of the best customer service in the industry... they are a fairly small company considering, and to keep up with demand, sometimes faulty product gets through QC... same thing with Sig Arms... when i worked for them a few years back, we had some QC issues with the 556 rifles... Sig out right replaced them for customers

Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5725 Corrupted355

Corrupted355

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:54 AM

I disagree with the Ruger sentiments. I have had nothing hut exceptional results from them.
my markers

#5726 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:12 PM

most of the issues i've seen with ruger are local buyers and employees that used their discount for friends and family... and it was mostly the their 5.56 rifle that had issues very early on... i am just not a ruger fan, never have been, never will be, just not my style of gun... they do make a great product though, and they back it in ways some of the bigger companies should

Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5727 Corrupted355

Corrupted355

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:19 PM

I was probably born eighty years too late. That's why Ruger holds so much appeal for me. They have a very old school feel. I'm a break top single action in the same caliber as your levergun kind of guy.
my markers

#5728 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,824 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:19 PM

I absolutely love Ruger's revolvers but I've no experience with any of their other firearms.

My experiences with their revolvers, in single or double action and centerfire or rimfire, has been nothing but positive. They certainly beat out Taurus and Charter Arms in terms of quality, Colt in terms of value and S&W in terms of variety.

They're not the prettiest or most refined, but they damn well work (kind of like the Tippmann of revolvers). Hands-down my go-to company for wheel-guns.

But like I've said, I've never tried any of their other firearms.

Edited by Antonious, 02 August 2013 - 12:21 PM.

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#5729 That one guy

That one guy

TechPB's most loved member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:45 PM

Anyone know where I can find a case to fit a Mosin?

You doubt it but yet you don't know crap about it.... People may THINK they know me, but trust me they DON'T.

#5730 Corrupted355

Corrupted355

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:07 PM

Redhead makes a soft sided case that fits the Mosin. They have em at Bass Pro.
my markers

#5731 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,824 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:23 PM

I found a cheap unscoped rifle soft case on sale for $15 when I bought my Mosin. It does the job but it sorta bulges from the bolt handle.

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#5732 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,824 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:57 PM

Do any of you guys look up Youtube comments on Call of Duty videos just to see how wrong some of the "gun experts" are?

I often find myself doing that to pass the time; it's often entertaining to see what they come up with.

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#5733 canscom

canscom

Lest we forget the soldiers. who saved our country

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:18 PM

Do any of you guys look up Youtube comments on Call of Duty videos just to see how wrong some of the "gun experts" are?

I often find myself doing that to pass the time; it's often entertaining to see what they come up with.

Yep I even do while playing Call of Duty

Stop worrying about how you look, and start worrying about how you play. Get out on the field and play paintball the best you can, not stand at home in front of a mirror trying to figure out if your jersey matches your eyes.

#5734 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,824 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:51 PM

Well, I just got back from a shitty day at the range.

I don't really know how (I'm thinking gremlins), but the extractor on my Mosin Nagant broke. Having to push out empty casings with a cleaning rod after every shot kinda takes the fun out of it all for me. I only put 15 rounds down range before saying "fuck it" and packing it up.

944770_10200895502004808_41610724_n.jpg

So now I'm probably going to end up having to buy a new bolt. Is it likely this will affect the accuracy of the rifle?

Edited by Antonious, 02 August 2013 - 05:51 PM.

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#5735 Corrupted355

Corrupted355

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:04 PM

Affect the accuracy on a Mosin? No. That's a minute-of-man rifle anyway.

my markers

#5736 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,824 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:20 AM

Well I found a company that makes Mosin extractors, so a $70 repair has turned into a $20 repair.

I'm thinking I should buy a head space gauge just to be sure though...

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#5737 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,885 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:50 PM

Well I found a company that makes Mosin extractors, so a $70 repair has turned into a $20 repair.

I'm thinking I should buy a head space gauge just to be sure though...

It never hurts to be safe.

#5738 CptObvious

CptObvious

US Air Force

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:32 PM

Don't currently have any photos of me shooting...also can't seem to find any pictures of my targets. But for now, here's what I spent some of my reenlistment bonus on. I've moved to FL since buying them and haven't shot since march. -_- I needs more practice. A local pawn shop has a beautiful swiss mauser on the rack that I am eyeing. I also have a Type 38 Arisaka which is currently not pictured because it's back home in Jersey.

LAXOhTP.jpg

SAQAlYL.jpg

Edited by CptObvious, 03 August 2013 - 05:34 PM.

Headbangers Scenario Team

#5739 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,885 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:41 PM

I don't think I've shot since last february, or something like that. :(

But I'll go soon, as soon as I can afford to pick up ammo. Which might be a while with school and books taking all my money. :'(

#5740 CptObvious

CptObvious

US Air Force

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:08 PM

I'm pretty much set on ammo for now. I tend to go through about 100rds of .45 when I go to the range. Right now I have about 500 or so rounds and another 200 of .30-06 for the M1903. I REALLY need to get my Arisaka down here because while I was living in Virginia, I was able to find boxes of 6.5 JAP, though pricey. Though I need to clean the fuck out of that rifle before I even think about shooting it...hasn't been shot since my grandfather brought it over after WWII.

#5741 Corrupted355

Corrupted355

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:10 PM

Only about seven hundred? Man, you need to step up your game. If I fall below 8k rounds of 22, I consider myself desperately low. Anything less than a thousand rounds of any centerfire caliber is unacceptable. And if you reload, you'd better have enough components to last you for a year's worth of shooting on all calibers. That is, unless you handload just for the ultra precise long range supreme accuracy you can achieve, in which case you'll be excused.

my markers

#5742 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,885 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:19 PM

Only about seven hundred? Man, you need to step up your game. If I fall below 8k rounds of 22, I consider myself desperately low. Anything less than a thousand rounds of any centerfire caliber is unacceptable. And if you reload, you'd better have enough components to last you for a year's worth of shooting on all calibers. That is, unless you handload just for the ultra precise long range supreme accuracy you can achieve, in which case you'll be excused.

Not everybody can be super rich and spoiled like you. :P I only have 100 rounds each of .40 S&W and .223. When I get the money I'll pick up 500 rounds of 5.56 and the same of .40 S&W. But that will take a bit with my dead end job.

#5743 Corrupted355

Corrupted355

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:42 PM

I'm just as blue collar as the rest of you. I am, however, a bit of an expert bargain hunter. You'd be surprised how often blemished bullets go on sale.

my markers

#5744 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:07 PM

Feel free to share these bargains with us plebs.

Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

#5745 Corrupted355

Corrupted355

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:33 PM

Do you reload? Cuz most of what I find is components.

my markers

#5746 CptObvious

CptObvious

US Air Force

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:31 AM

Yesh, only 700. :P I don't load my own, and my reenlistment bonus dried up after my move. Plus there doesn't seem to be as many gun shows here as there was in VA. Or at least in this area.

#5747 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:19 PM

i dont reload, mainly becuase i move so often and dont feel like lugging a press around with me... but, i always seem to find deals on bulk buy ammo... a gun shop up in northern NH had 5.56 m855 ball ammo for 200 bucks for 500 rounds... cheaper then anyone else around... and on top of that i was able to buy 1000 rounds at 5% over their cost due to being a vet... just have to find shops like that... that shop has earned my business for life... i am living in mass right now, and will drive the 3 hours north to buy my new gun from them, along with all my accessories and optics and ammo... except the bipod... that i am getting straight from GG&G.

Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5748 CptObvious

CptObvious

US Air Force

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:56 PM

Yea, I had a place like that in VA where I bought my 1903. Wound up getting about 100rds of .30-06 Ball for way less than they were asking since I went to them quite often for .45. It was a family run place, just cigarettes and guns. haha. They had about 10 M1903s there, a few mosin's, some mausers, a broom handle mauser pistol, original peacemakers...list goes on.

#5749 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,824 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:39 PM

Anybody have experience with the Sig P250? I'm thinking of getting one for home defense purposes.

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#5750 PREDATOR 47

PREDATOR 47

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:22 PM

I have one in my house. Love it.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users