#5901 Corrupted355

Corrupted355

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:48 PM

the perfect firearm for me will most likely never be built... saddly

My perfect gun is a Winchester 1892 levergun with peep sights chambered in the extremely versatile 45 Long Colt. You can load that cartridge anywhere from very light plinking loads to nearly as powerful as the mighty 454 Casull. That's enough punch to take down anything on this continent inside of 150 yards. And the levergun is like a bolt gun in that the action won't care what recoil force the cartridge puts on the bolt.

Around here where you rarely see shots over 100 yards in the woods, the levergun is perfect. You stalk or wait with a round in the chamber and the hammer on half-cock. When you sight your animal, you click the hammer back to full cock, and you're ready to rock. Nearly silent. Then you deliver a bullet that, if loaded right, delivers more energy than a 30-30, and does more tissue damage.

And for home defense? Hard to beat.

"Speak softly and carry a big stick"
my markers

#5902 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

TechPB's Resident Angry Veteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:22 PM

i have always been a .45 acp guy when it comes to close range, self defense and what not... and always wanted a lever gun chambered in 45.acp... 

but, when i got my FsN (an impulse buy) i was instantly converted and hooked on the 5.7x28mm round... so much so that if FN were to ever make a scout rifle chambered in 5.7 i would have a carry gun(FsN), carbine (ps90) and bolt gun all chambered for the same round....

for me, there is no singular perfect rifle or round... but, for a bug out gun, i want a bolt action rifle in .308. the fewer the moving parts the better...

so, in a perfect world, my bug out bag would have the following firearms... 2 side arms, one a five seven, one a .45, would prefer an FNX 45. Bolt gun, FN TSR XP, or Kimber 8400 Patrol, in .308. a carbine, prefer bull pup, either a PS90 or another 5.56 rifle. i am all about having variety, and picking the right tool for the job. and while that may sound like too many guns to carry, thats 3 cartridges i have to stock pile and load up. now, all i need is the money to buy my bag, and start putting it all together... so i can replace the bug out bag i have right now, which i am not happy with due to its size

Shocktech Aftershock SFL team cocker, serial number 1
Mini Orracle pump, Eclipse internals, Sanchez Machine pump kit and grip frame
Mossberg 500 ZMB

OSG Paintball biggest and best field in NH... show them some love

"I wish I had 2000 feet. So i could shove 500 of them up each of your asses!!!!" Red Foreman

#5903 TK-421

TK-421

Me So Horny! :D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,899 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:26 PM

so, in a perfect world, my bug out bag would have the following firearms... 2 side arms, one a five seven, one a .45, would prefer an FNX 45. Bolt gun, FN TSR XP, or Kimber 8400 Patrol, in .308. a carbine, prefer bull pup, either a PS90 or another 5.56 rifle. i am all about having variety, and picking the right tool for the job. and while that may sound like too many guns to carry, thats 3 cartridges i have to stock pile and load up. now, all i need is the money to buy my bag, and start putting it all together... so i can replace the bug out bag i have right now, which i am not happy with due to its size

You have an interesting perfect world. In my perfect world I wouldn't have a need for a bug out bag. :P

#5904 Corrupted355

Corrupted355

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:39 AM

In a real SHTF scenario, you actually want quite a few guns. In all different calibers. Cuz whatever ammo supply you have is going to run out eventually. Therefore in order to shoot any ammo you happen to come across after the SHTF, you need to have a lot of guns. Or guns that are convertible easily. Like a Glock with 9mm, .40, and 357 Sig barrels.

my markers

#5905 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 04:42 AM

my perfect world is vastly different that a lot of peoples perfect world... 

Mossberg 500 ZMB

"I wish I had 2000 feet. So i could shove 500 of them up each of your asses!!!!" Red Foreman

#5906 That one guy

That one guy

TechPB's most loved member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:40 PM

What caliber? What type of handgun? What's your intending purpose? What features do you think you'll prefer?
Et cetera, et cetera...

9mm, Target Practice but also reliabe for when SHTF, I would like a atleast 10+1 round capicity, and would not like it to be over 400 if at all possible. Along with something along the lines of customization with aftermarket parts. Meaning different slides,sights,grips etc.

• I would recommend the EAA Witness. It's basically a clone of the CZ-75 made by an Italian company called Tangfolio (EAA is only the importer).

EA-999104lg.jpg
The CZ-75 design is inherently accurate as well as very reliable (it's a derivative of the old Browning design after all). It's 16+1 capacity in the 9mm version, and you can also swap slide lengths as well as calibers (.22 lr, .38 sup, .40 S&W, .45ACP, and 10mm) with the proper kit. There's also plenty of sight styles available for them; you just have to do a bit of searching.
With a little shopping, you can get the Witness for about $350.

• Another one to look at is the Smith & Wesson SD9VE. It's an improvement on S&W's old Sigma series and more-or-less their version of a Glock (more-so than their M&P line).

223900-9131_298x200.jpg
It's also 16+1 capacity and you can use any M&P sight on it. It's a pretty decent gun overall, except for its trigger is quite heavy for a striker-fired gun (~8 lbs). This however is easily remedied with a $20 drop-in trigger kit from Apex Tactical Specialties.
This gun too is about $350.

• I would also look at Police trade-ins. You can occasionally find a traded-in Glock or  M&P for around $400. A pretty good deal if you don't mind some cosmetic wear. Needless to say, they'll have plenty of aftermarket parts and accessories for them.

• There's several other great imported 9mm handguns for under $400 like the Zastava CZ999, Arcus 98, Sarsilmaz B6P, Canik 55 TP-9, and so on. These are all Eastern-European imports, but come from very reputable manufacturers based out of formerly war-torn nations (So these guys know how to make cheap yet reliable firearms). I've got a soft-spot for commie guns and highly recommend these for shooters on a budget.

My father use to have the SD9VE and I loved it. I believe they got discontinued though if I am correct???

Edited by That one guy, 29 September 2013 - 02:41 PM.

You doubt it but yet you don't know crap about it.... People may THINK they know me, but trust me they DON'T.

#5907 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,824 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:48 PM

The original SD got discontinued a while back.

The newer SD VE (Value Enhanced) series came out about a year or so ago and is still in production.

Edited by Antonious, 29 September 2013 - 02:48 PM.

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#5908 That one guy

That one guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:49 AM

Attempting to put a Bushnell Tactical Dot on my rifle and it is a pain to mount.

You doubt it but yet you don't know crap about it.... People may THINK they know me, but trust me they DON'T.

#5909 Corrupted355

Corrupted355

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:10 AM

Why? I've never really had trouble mounting optics.
my markers

#5910 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,824 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:08 PM

Do you have the right mount for it?

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#5911 That one guy

That one guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:47 AM

^ Has a built in picitinny mount. Just a pain more so trying to take off the factory sights.

#5912 That one guy

That one guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 04:58 PM

I'm stuck between either the Remington 770, 300. Win Mag or the Savage Axis 223.

I'm dead set on one of these so I do not want any other suggestions on other rifles. So between these two they have around a $15 price difference at the local store.

I wanted something High Powered, ment for long rang shooting, and something inexspenisive. Now My main thing was I wanted to get something that I would love shootign and wouldn't start to get painfull to shoot more than 50+ rounds. I like the 300. but is there a major difference in recoil from a 30-06 and the 300? 308's and 30-06's I'm fine with recoil but how is the 300.?

I like the 223. but the thought of it not being reccomended for anything past 600 Yards and the 300. is meant for 1000 Yards.

#5913 Corrupted355

Corrupted355

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:50 PM

The 300 has some fairly moderate recoil. 50+ rounds is gonna leave you sore, if not bruised. It's parent case is the 375 H&H mag, which is a dangerous game cartridge. This is a cartridge that shoots 308 weight bullets at 223 velocities.  It has the punch to easily take out anything in this hemisphere. Take the energy you get out of your average 308 Winchester (~2650 ft-lb) and add the energy from a 223 Remington (~1280 ft-lb); now you're right in the ballpark of where the 300 Win Mag sits on the energy scale (about 3900-4000 ft-lb). 

Recoil energy on the 300 is about 30% greater than the 30-06. I've heard it ranks about even with shooting a 12 gauge pump gun with 1 oz slugs. Looking in a reloading manual shows that 300 Win Mag requires special attention to crimping and bullet selection to prevent the bullet from moving with respect to the case on rounds in the magazine when the cartridge in the chamber is fired. We usually only have to do this when it's expected that the rifle is going to move around a lot, like in semi-auto rifles or with big bruisers that have lots of recoil.

Just some food for thought. If it were me, I'd have to have a reason for 300 Win Mag. On this continent, there ain't a whole helluva lot you can't to with a 270 or a 308 that you can with a 300.

my markers

#5914 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:43 AM

most people i know that shoot .300 typically go for the .300 WSM if they shoot factory loads... the ones i know that hand load, and prefer .300 typically shoot .300 win mag... but, they also have their rifles outfitted with a compensater to take the bite out of the recoil. .300 win mag will beat you up in no time at the range. 

600 yards for .223/5.56 is about right for a point target, though they round will be effective to 800 for area targets. .223 is cheap to reload,and fun to shoot. only thing i dont like about .223 and 5.56 is how easy the bullet gets deflected when shooting through brush.

if i had the money right now to buy any bolt action rifle on the market, it would be an FN SPR A5 in .308 or the Kimber Advanced Tactical in .308. pretty much the same rifle, the FN is SUB MOA out of the box, but i am not a fan of the stock. the Kimber is claimed to be SUB MOA out of the box, but its more 1.5MOA at longer ranges, still damn good, but, the stock on it has the adjustments i like. 

.308 will drop any game in north america, its not the most expensive round to buy, but not the cheapest. i've personally shot out to 1000 yards with .308 and done fine with it. recoil is managable and wont beat you up at the range like .300 will. 

the rifle i am looking to build, hopefully this winter, is an FN TSR XP, in .308. uses the winchester model 70 forged receivers, mauser controlled round feed, FN hammer forged chrome lined barrel, and they can be adapted to use extended box mags, either 10 round FN mags or Accuracy International mags.

Mossberg 500 ZMB

#5915 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:09 PM

Go with a .308 or 30-06. Those rounds can easily take down anything on this continent. Buuut its not like you can even hunt with rifles in ohio. For target shooting get a .223. Less recoil, slightly cheaper, and plenty of accuracy. 

Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

#5916 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,824 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:57 PM

Took the M&P9 out shooting again today and am happy to see that I'm getting much better with it.

I was shooting clays at about 10-15 yds and managed to hit most of them with the first shot, which is a great improvement over the last time I took it out (couldn't hit shit).
I decided to take a video of it all, and even one-handed, I was hitting quite a few on the first try. I figure a few more times to the range and I'll have this baby down to a science.

*Excuse the weird angle as I still can't seem to grasp that filming vertically will not make it horizontal :blush:

Edited by Antonious, 14 October 2013 - 12:00 AM.

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#5917 AoSpades

AoSpades

I'll poop on your parade with big, stinky, liquidy facts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:15 AM

First day of leave... Went and shot shit.

Alot of shit.

A1899DE8-4C2D-4DCA-B1AE-7C68433444FA_zps

EA5A9A3A-615D-4EDC-BA4E-6BE296B6470B_zps

EE97D214-6C27-425C-9CB6-AB766BB5D1ED_zps

I can has membership naow?

2012 G6R || 2010 VICTORY || CROME 2 || ROGUE || LEGEND || THRESHOLD || G3

SPLASH ANNO'D CUSTOM PUMP || BLACK AKA'D KARNIVOR PUMP

Step up your game: Go A.P.E.

#5918 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,899 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:47 AM

I can't wait to get some money so I can get some .22lr and take out my brand spanking new 10/22. Only taken it out of the box, never taken it shooting yet. Even got a scope for it that I still need to put on it eventually.

#5919 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:58 PM

10/22s are so fun to use. I have been wanting to buy a scope for myn, but just never got around to it.

Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

#5920 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,899 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:15 PM

This is the one I got, except I wasn't lucky enough to buy it when it was on sale. http://www.midwayusa...lver-with-rings

I figure that, with silver scope rings, on top of a silver/black 10/22 would look pretty nice. I've heard the rings that come with the scope aren't all that great, but they should work fine until I scrape up the change to buy better ones.

This is what mine should look like when I'm done. It will be my Appleseed gun, once I finally get some 22lr and can go.

ea15b645.jpg

#5921 Corrupted355

Corrupted355

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:38 PM

Looks like you're building it to look just like my Marlin 60. It's got a wood stock, stainless barrel, aluminum frame, and silver Simmons scope, which are all about he same color. You're right about the scope rings that come with the Simmons being crap. They don't provide enough clamping force, and the rings tend to slide back on the rail. I applied a little Loktite to the rail where the mounts sit, which worked to some degree. That is to say it improved, but did not completely solve the issue. Eventually I got fed up and just bought an actual set of rings with locking set screws. 

my markers

#5922 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,899 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:54 PM

If you can recommend some good quality rings at a decent price that'd be great. I have no idea what a decent price is though, or which company to go with. What's the general price point for quality rings that aren't junk and aren't super expensive? Can a set be found for $20? $30? Do I have to go up to $50 for a set of rings? Or more? No idea what number to go with, or what company to look for.

#5923 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,824 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:53 AM

Rings from reputable companies between $15 - $20 are often plenty sufficient to do the job, especially considering the negligible recoil of a 22. The Leupold Rifleman rings are what I'd recommend.
I would only go $50 and upwards on rings for expensive glass on a heavy recoiler.

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#5924 Corrupted355

Corrupted355

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:22 AM

For something like this, rings are rings for the most part. If you pay for them, they'll be decent enough. It's only the crap they give you when a set of rings comes with a cheap scope that are trash. They'd be fine for paintball or airsoft, though.
my markers

#5925 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,899 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:47 PM

Excellent, it's good to hear cheap rings will do the job. Now to find a set of rings from Amazon, as I'm getting an Amazon gift card here shortly, and don't have any cash to spend.

#5926 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:00 PM

Let me know how your setup ends up working for you. I have been wanting to scope my 10/22 for awhile.

Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

#5927 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,899 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:11 PM

I'm sure it will be a long while. I don't have a job since I'm going to school full time, which means I'm broke. Then factor in stupidly high ammo prices and a lack of .22lr, and I can't shoot my 10/22 because I can't find ammo for it, let alone afford said ammo.

But I'll give you a heads up if I can eventually find ammo and get my scope mounted.

#5928 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,899 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:31 PM

Think the medium height rings will be okay for my Simmons scope? Or do I need the high rings? Medium rings are $19 and high rings are $22, so the price difference isn't huge, but if the medium ones will do then I'd prefer to get those. But if they won't work then I have no issues getting the high ones.

Edited by TK-421, 13 December 2013 - 09:32 PM.

#5929 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,824 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 03:53 AM

When in doubt, go medium.
High rings are mostly for scopes with larger objectives and should be used on a stock with a high enough comb.

Edited by Antonious, 14 December 2013 - 03:53 AM.

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#5930 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,899 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 04:05 AM

That's what I was thinking. My scope has something like a 32mm objective lens I believe, so I bet a medium will work just fine.

#5931 Watcher

Watcher

AKA CavDragoneb12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:51 AM

You guys are still here?

LOL!

Long time no see.

It's been so long since I've even thought about paintball, I recently had to go through my closet and subsequently all my gear, started pining over playing and remembered I used to be pretty active here on TechPB.

What's been up?

Here's my latest toy:

rh59.jpg

Tippmann Tech
Everything Rob "Tyger" Rubin
Alaska's Coolest Paintball Webcomic!

"The frightening thing about [humans] is their utterly mindless determination to do whatever mindless thing it is they are determined to do."
- Douglass Adams, RIP

-

Posted Image

#5932 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,899 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:52 AM

Man, you really don't come on here anywhere near often enough. Getting your CCW anytime soon?

#5933 Corrupted355

Corrupted355

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:40 AM

Heh. Just went shooting this weekend. Been thinking of building a swinging target for the range.

Unrelatedly, do people really still play paintball?
my markers

#5934 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,899 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:55 AM

I sold my stuff to fund firearms because the weather down here sucks. Still need to find some 22lr.

#5935 Watcher

Watcher

AKA CavDragoneb12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:22 PM

Man, you really don't come on here anywhere near often enough. Getting your CCW anytime soon?

Working on it.  I'll be legal soon enough.

I was lucky enough to buy plenty of .22 before the scare, so I have over 4k rounds in storage of various types, mostly CCI and Federal.  Everything from Velocitors to CB-shorts as well as some bulk HPs and some target solids.

I also have about 350 rounds of 7.62x54r and about 500 mixed 12 and 16 gauge.

But I only have about 50 ea of 9mm and .45...

Edited by Watcher, 04 March 2014 - 09:24 PM.

Tippmann Tech
Everything Rob "Tyger" Rubin
Alaska's Coolest Paintball Webcomic!

"The frightening thing about [humans] is their utterly mindless determination to do whatever mindless thing it is they are determined to do."
- Douglass Adams, RIP

-

Posted Image

#5936 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,899 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:42 PM

I've got something like 350-400-ish rounds of 5.56 and 100 rounds of .40 S&W, and 0 rounds of .22lr. Planning on picking up 500 rounds of .40S&W when I get a tuition refund from the school in two weeks, once Freedom Munitions gets some of their factory reloads back in stock. Might also pick up some of their .223 as well, but I haven't decided yet. I need to get competent with my Glock, so I can feel comfortable taking a CCW class and trying to get my CHL.

#5937 Corrupted355

Corrupted355

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:01 AM

so I have over 4k rounds in storage

Wow, you're running low. I start looking for more when I get down to 5k.
my markers

#5938 canscom

canscom

Lest we forget the soldiers. who saved our country

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:06 AM

man i wish the range here didnt blow otherwise Id go pick up a Lee Enfield and go shoot
Stop worrying about how you look, and start worrying about how you play. Get out on the field and play paintball the best you can, not stand at home in front of a mirror trying to figure out if your jersey matches your eyes.

#5939 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,899 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:04 AM

Not everyone can be as well off as you. :P

#5940 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,824 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:18 PM

Not everyone can be as well off as you. :P

Indeed. I'm happy when I have about 500.
Though that's 500 rds of .380 for my LCP, which is about 5 days worth of shooting for me. Those little mouse guns are kinda hard to shoot more than 100 rds in one sitting.

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#5941 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,899 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:32 PM

Saving my pennies to finally pick up an M1 Garand. Next on my list after that is an SKS, then a Mosin, then I'm gonna try and hunt down a decently priced M1 Carbine, but I want a military issue one, not a reproduction, so I'm expecting it will take a bit, and more money than I can currently afford.

Then I'll get a 1911 and a 590A1 and go play in three gun heavy division, which requires a rifle of a .308 caliber or bigger, a single stack .45 and a pump shotgun. Really would prefer a shotgun that has seen combat, but I can't afford a real trench gun, and don't know if I can find a military issued pump shotgun.

Edited by TK-421, 07 March 2014 - 11:35 PM.

#5942 Corrupted355

Corrupted355

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:54 AM

Indeed. I'm happy when I have about 500.
Though that's 500 rds of .380 for my LCP, which is about 5 days worth of shooting for me. Those little mouse guns are kinda hard to shoot more than 100 rds in one sitting.

It helps a lot that I have a nice reloading press. Except for fast burning pistol powders, components are easier to find than loaded cartridges right now. My dad and I are going to the range tomorrow, so I cranked out 100 rounds of 380 ACP and 50 rounds of 38 Special for him. It took about two hours.
my markers

#5943 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,899 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 01:04 PM

What are .22lr prices like in your area Corrupted? Are they decent? $0.05-ish/round? Or are they expensive? My local shop wants $.10/round and will only let me buy 100 rounds.

#5944 Corrupted355

Corrupted355

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 01:48 PM

$0.10 to $0.12 a round.
my markers

#5945 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,899 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 02:42 PM

Ewwie. I'm waiting for prices to fall back down to $0.04-0.05 per round, which means I'll probably be waiting a long while. I still haven't even shot my 10/22, unfortunately.

#5946 Corrupted355

Corrupted355

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:30 PM

Yeah. These days I'm making 380 auto for the price of 22. Hell, I'm making 223 for the price of two 22LR bullets. That's just wrong.
my markers

#5947 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,899 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:53 PM

I really need to get the money together to start reloading, and a place to do it. But I don't think I'll do it until I get my own place. In the meantime I've been saving as much brass as I can, but I need a standalone unit.

I've got a brass catcher for my AR, but it doesn't stay in one place and enjoys causing stove pipes. And I will need one for my glock once I can afford to order 500 rounds of .40S&W, and I'll need one for my Garand as well. So I'm thinking about picking up a stand alone brass catcher that can sit on the table next to where I'm shooting, or stand on the ground, haven't decided which, and will catch all brass, and has a big enough opening that I don't have to be super duper precise about where I shoot from to make sure the brass goes into the catcher.

I'm thinking brass catching will really become critical once I start shooting my Garand, since most places are wanting $0.70-1.00 per shot for 30-06.

#5948 Corrupted355

Corrupted355

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:19 PM

I tried the brass catching thing. Now I just pick it up off the ground. If I get 75% of my brass back from a semi auto anything, I'm happy. But I'm mostly a revolver guy, so I don't usually have to go far to find my empty cases.
my markers

#5949 TK-421

TK-421

• 25,899 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:50 PM

My ranges have a rule of what touches the ground belongs to them. >.>

#5950 Corrupted355

Corrupted355

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:28 PM

You need to go to a different range. Of course, mine is little more than a clearing in the woods where someone used a bulldoser to make a big pile of dirt that we use as a backstop. It may be a craphole, but it's a craphole that lets us shoot at prettymuch any targets we feel like. We've even blown up a can if tannerite with some old down pillows on top. It looked like we blew up a chicken coop.
my markers

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)