3 replies to this topic

#1 J. Thompson #5150

J. Thompson #5150

Smiling Like a Killer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 10:05 AM

So I just wanted to share my personal thoughts on the Valken Redemption pants. I bought a pair back in late August/early september last year, and prior to that I was wearing Eclipse Distortion. Around that time, there wasn't a lot of information available, and our shop owner didn't know much about them yet, but he had some on order. The price tag wasn't horrible at about $120, so I volunteered to be the guinnea pig, threw my money down, and waited for a pair to come in. Out of the packaging, the first impressions were that Valken is not messing around. The material appeared to be of pretty decent quality, definitely on par with the more recognized brands.

The stitching throughout the pants was very well done, with no visible blemishes, no signs of unraveling, no loose ends or anything like I had almost expected to see. And the padding... it's probably some of the best padding I've seen. The knee padding is nice and thick, and the kevlar material looked like it was built to last. The hips, legs, lumbar, and crotch all have ample padding as well, and the large stretch panels in the crotch and knees were a welcome sight. The one other thing that stood out to me was the fabric pattern. The red piping was nothing unusual, but these pants just look, well, different. If you're a fan of Affliction or Ed Hardy clothing, you'll love Redemption. The standard-fare zippered front pockets and squeegee pockets on each leg were present, as were the bottom cuff bungees to adjust the inseam.

So how do they fit? Well to me, their sizes actually run a little big. But for me, that's not a bad thing. I usually wear a 2X, and for the most part over the years, that size has worked very well for me. However my Eclipse Distortion pants were quite literally tearing at the seams; they fit me great in the waist but my legs were somewhat cramped in them (I'm a big guy). I also felt like they were a bit short through the inseam. When I ordered the Valken pants, I got them one size bigger, 3XL, and when I tried them on, I expected they'd be a little bigger, but I found that these pants are huge. The waist fit me very loosely at first as expected, but the adjustment straps allowed me to take up the slack for a perfect fit. To top it off, there are belt loops, so if you're a guy that likes to wear a belt for the added comfort, you can do so. The legroom was quite ample; I probably could have stuck with a 2XL and had room to move, but I figured I'd just roll with these and enjoy the added comfort. The inseam is plenty long for even the tallest of the tall, and at 6'3" I actually had to take up a couple inches of slack out of the leg cuffs. There is on negative thing I found regarding the length of the pants, and that is that the knee pads were a little low. When standing, the tops of the pads are actually barely covering my knees; most of the knee pads actually cover my shins, so I end up wearing knee pads underneath to compensate. Though, it does work out in my favor as there's extra chance of getting a bounce if I do happen to take one to the shin, which has saved my butt more than once. Take that for what it's worth, I'm not complaining, but it's something that others might want to consider. If you're 6'4" or taller, you probably won't have a problem with it.

Durability is always one of my biggest concerns, and again, Valken does not disappoint. For the last seven months, I have been at our indoor field every single weekend, both playing and reffing, and often I'm there Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. So these pants have seen a lot of use. Our field has an OSB floor rather than turf or carpet, so I knew the knees and hips would be put to the test. So far I see no signs of wear at all on the knees, and only a few very minor abrasion marks on the hips, but the material is fully intact and showing no signs of unravelling. All of the seams are holding up very well; the only place I've noticed anything is actually inside the pants, there is a thin, black backing on the fabric, that is peeling in some places, but it doesn't seem to affect the fabric at all so I'm not really concerned about it.

Generally, I think the Redemption pants are a great product. The price is really good for what you get, which is a pair of pants that will stand up to abuse, provide plenty of comfort, and look great doing it.

Edited by J. Thompson #5150, 05 May 2010 - 10:20 AM.

Posted Image
2ndCoat Paintball

is proudly sponsored by

ICU Paintball - Valken - Kohn Sports - TechT - Exalt - KM Straps

#2 justin734

justin734

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 06:11 PM

Nice review :)
Posted Image
Justin D'Angelo Founder/CEO Bidpb.com --- My TechPB FB 19/0/0
Swabs in and for sale! Best deal anywhere : Here

#3 NC1004

NC1004

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 08:59 PM

Very good review. I am thinking about purchasing the 2011 Redemption pants and this just justified my decision.

Blasphemy! Eveyone knows the gear makes the player and expensive guns automatically shoot more people out than cheap ones. My field even has a rule that says that fire coming from a more expensive gun has the right of way over fire coming from a cheaper gun.

-The_Economist

If your a fire fighter copy this into your sig

#4 NCballer28

NCballer28

Face Mower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 10:38 PM

Great review, I love mine.
Posted Image

2 user(s) are reading this topic