Photo

Healing welts and bruises quickly

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 porkchop

porkchop

while I scatter my spit I dream of juice...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 01:43 PM

I know some paintballers have this tough guy mentality or "man" mentality but truth is, sometimes after an intense session of paintball, you can end up with some wicked and nasty bruises. They look cool some of the time, but not so much in public like at work or school. Plus, from personal experience, I find chicks don't dig the bruises.

Basically, a bruise or welt is your blood pooling to one area after the impact of a paintball. There's no way to "remove" a bruise, only ways to help the human body do its' thing and heal it itself.

I'm going to quickly layout some tips and ways to help the healing process. Time heals all wounds, but there are ways to slightly speed up the regeneration process.

Wear pads/protection - Okay, I know, this tip sucks. But before I give you the real information, I think it's important to note that there is this option. It's funny that a lot of people put down the padding other players wear, yet I see so much whining and bitching from the pain at fields. For example, I was at a field last week that caps the shooting at 260 fps. There was this kid with nothing but a t-shirt and some pants. I nail him a few times and after the round he comes running up to me and the ref complaining that I was shooting more than 260 because he was getting hurt from the paint. I chrono my marker and I'm shooting 250. "Kid, you're wearing a t-shirt! No shit you're in pain!"

It's important to also note that some of your most sensitive areas to get struck by a paintball are your: forehead, fingers, lovehandles/ribs, crotch, and neck.

Ice - If you've got a nasty welt on your neck or a visible area, it's important to apply ice as soon as you're done playing to reduce the visibility and swelling by the next day. Put some ice in a zip-lock or plastic bag, wrap that in a thin cloth to prevent dripping from condensation, and apply onto the affected area. A good tip is to ice for 15 minutes, wait an hour and repeat as necessary throughout the day.

Warm water - After the first day of having this bruise and icing it, a good idea is to now take a cloth in warm water and gently apply compresses to the area. This helps improve circulation and disperses the blood.

Epsom salts - Maybe you've heard of this, but it does work and can greatly relax your muscles and reduce the pain. Run a warm bath (not hot), pour in some Epsom salts, and relax. If you think you're too manly for this, think again. Some of your favorite professional athletes do this after a long game.

Vitamin K - Your local pharmacy might have creams that you can keep at your place for times like this when you need to heal a few bruises. I will not recommend any personally, but as a tip, vitamin K is your friend. There are vitamin K creams out there if you look hard enough. Vitamin K will cut down on the healing time.

Vitamin C - This improves your immune system and can also help the healing process. Fruits like oranges and pineapples, and juices like apple and orange contain this.

Avoid painkillers/pain medication - If you're in serious pain, it's probably best to avoid these types of drugs. Over-the-counter pain relievers thin your blood, so if you want your bruises and welts to fade faster, you'll want to avoid that.

Massage - Gently, and I mean gently, rubbing the bruised area can help disperse the blood and encourage more blood flow.

Banana peels, raw eggs - For the hell of it, I thought I'd throw in these natural and uh... "interesting" tips. I've never tried these and I don't know if they work. But these are real suggestions, don't believe me Google it yourself! I've heard rubbing a ripe banana peel on the bruise helps. I've also heard breaking a raw egg on your bruise and rubbing it in works. I've also heard of rubbing in things like raw onions, vinegar, butter, and witch hazel.

If you guys have any suggestions or tips let me know...

Edited by porkchop, 06 May 2010 - 02:51 PM.

#2 Gtracer

Gtracer

I hate video games.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,944 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 01:49 PM

First!

Great read.
Cat Owners club|Dog Owners Club| Christan Ballers Club|Ballers Without Girlfriends club| Lost+Lonely Baller|Indiana Ballers Club|Was Grazi #53

Posted Image

Sponsored by Pinokio Hoppers|Paintball Asylum|Empire Paintball

#3 Darthdoug

Darthdoug

Playing for CRU LT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 02:39 PM

Yep, just because we get a LOT of false information posted here, I'd just like to say that in my opinion this is a great and ACCURATE read.

The general rules are 'ice for the first 8-24 hours', heat after that....

ice is to reduce current swelling, heat is to increase circulation after swelling has gotten as bad as it's going to get. The other remedies mentioned also will help to some degree (I find massage to really help if repeated often enough).

'Healing' bruises fast is all about increasing bloodflow to the bruised area, which all of those things help.
Doug

I play for Cru Paintball
My Team is Cru LT

#4 CrazyBear

CrazyBear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 02:59 AM

Those are some nice tips. But no joke on this one. If you get something like a splinter wrap a banana peel around it for a few hours and literally it comes right out. I had like 4 come out when i had to do yardwork with a old wooden shovel and no gloves.

#5 Spartan Berdi

Spartan Berdi

Spartans unload on cheaters!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:47 AM

my ex liked to lick my chest bruises, until one day she tried to bite one of them!!
I almost punched her.

#6 Goldio

Goldio

Wreckballer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:52 PM

Aren't leeches able to suck out the blood in bruises? I know most people don't have a steady supply of them but if you have a really bad welt on your neck and a job interview the next day then who knows haha.
Dangerous Power G3IQ
Techt L7 Bolt Engine - CP Sling Trigger - Virtue OLED Board
CP 2 Piece Barrel .682 - Pinokio - 68/4500

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users