Photo

Thread adapters have an impact on smaller bore barrels?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MFCT

MFCT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:55 AM

Wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the pump forum, but here goes...

Picked up an Azodin Kaos Pump and the paint I use tends to roll in the .684 - .686 range. Even with their nifty o-ring dealio to prevent balls from rolling out of the stock barrel, these still do. I use a 14" .685 CP barrel on my SP1 and I dig it a lot. So, I'm picking up the same barrel for the KP since it was only $10 more than a Lapco thread adapter in order to use the same barrel between both markers.

Now, here's the question...
An assumption is being made that a marker's bolt barely touches the ball, if at all. I'd imagine the force of said bolt could potentiality be damaging to the shell, upon full impact. If this assumption is close to true, would the rolling of the ball an inch further into the barrel (from the adapter) cause an issue?

Here's what I'm picturing...

Ball drops into breech, sits at detents waiting for bolt to come rushing forward with burst of air. Whether or not the bolt touches it, is kind of irrelevant at this point I suppose, as by design, that air burst begins to accelerate the ball forward. Now, with a smaller bore barrel (in this case, .685), up near the detents, the ball is pushed forward a bit before a higher rate of acceleration begins during the travel down the actual barrel itself.

If the ball is actually sitting further past the detents, waiting to be shoved through that smaller bore, will that rush of air hit the ball a bit harder than during normal operation, leading itself to increased ball breakage?

Hope I made myself clear during all that. haha.

#2 brycelarson

brycelarson

Show me the Data!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,588 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:00 AM

so you're asking if using the triad system after a thread adapter is a good idea? or are you asking if using a small bore barrel and a thread adapter is a bad idea?

couple of things to clarify. The bolt chambers the ball. It physically pushes the ball into the barrel. The burst of air comes later.

I guess the question I have is what size is the bore on the thread adapter? I would never suggest putting a small bore section after a large bore section. The resulting lip can't be good for paint.

#3 MFCT

MFCT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:03 PM

I would never suggest putting a small bore section after a large bore section. The resulting lip can't be good for paint.

Thats exactly what I was thinking. The Lapco thread adapter is likely .691 or close. And then put on the .685 barrel.

Azodin KP = AC threads.
SP1 = Ion threads.
CP .685 barrel = Ion threads.

Originally I was going to pick up that thread adapter so I could use the single barrel between the two markers, but then thinking about the above inquiry had me concerned. So, I just picked up a new barrel instead. But I was wondering if those concerns were valid. Your reply seems to say they have merit.

#4 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,116 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:31 PM

yeah, we don't have a study on this, but i jsut assume its a bad idea. if you wanna be the trial run go for it, but im thinking a big no no personally.
The ultimate truth in paintball is that the interaction between the gun and the player is far and away the largest factor in accuracy, consistency, and reliability.

And yes, Gordon is the sexiest manifestation of "to the front."

#5 Aulldeath

Aulldeath

Pain is irrelevent, yet inevitable.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,556 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:34 PM

i have a 98c to spyder thread adapter, and the barrel has a smaller bore then the adapter, and it would chop balls left and right, then i threw on a normal 98c barrel, and it wouldnt chop a single ball.
Posted Image
Yes, I work at Wal*Mart, got a problem with that?

#6 ktap

ktap

You just got DUSTed.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:48 PM

i have a 98c to spyder thread adapter, and the barrel has a smaller bore then the adapter, and it would chop balls left and right, then i threw on a normal 98c barrel, and it wouldnt chop a single ball.

Chops or breaks? I assume you meant barrel breaks not chops, otherwise you had a different problem than lips in the barrel.

Posted Image

Drexel University Scenario Team
Sponsored by Valken

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users