16 replies to this topic

#1 Killswitchengage

Killswitchengage

Say What Again....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:13 AM

A lot of people are asking which paint is the best for a specific price range, so i'm going to compile a list to cover the different paints that are available for every price range. Also, list there strengths and weaknesses. *Please note that these tests are based on a visual comparison of each and not the accuracy or performance of each on the field, as Marballizer got a lower score than some, but it followed by formula 13 seem to fly the straightest, each being a different bore size, I would have to test each to there exact fit using different inserts to be true to each product. *Also if you are a tourney player, fill would not be as important as getting a quality thin shelled paint, since there being refs keeping a close watch on the field. A tourney player I would easily recommend Marballizer first.

Here is the first group going from left to right 1. Diablo Visible Impact 2. Diablo Formula 13 3. RPS Marballizer 4. RPS Stinger 5. Diablo Heat 6. XO Camotac *Tested on a .689 barrel and going from biggest to smallest left to right, the Visible Impact is an extremely snug fit - to the smallest being the camotac that rolls right through the barrel. *Prices are taken from my local paintball store and local Walmart store. Please keep in mind that you should always look for the freshest paint available, as Mike has stated before, find out which paintball manufacturer is close by to where you live, here is the video link to his video http://www.youtube.c...h?v=FbLeVK57dK8. Also keep your paint in a tempature controlled environment, I would suggest in a cooler of some type in there sealed plastic bags, and place them in your closet, also rotate them occasionally to help avoid any soft spots.

*Top picture shows size and looks, middle picture shows the fill after three wipes, and bottom picture shows fill after it was just squeezed out.

Posted Image

1. Diablo Visible Impact- $35 a case, The fill is amazing bright thick pink almost impossible to wipe and a lot of it (best in the group), the size consistancy is great, the seams are very small although some are unevenly seamed together, The shell is extremely thin, and it is comparible to Formula 13's shell thickness, now for the bad buying from walmart your not supporting your local paintball scene and your going to have a hard time knowing how fresh it is, if you do buy this your best bet is to cut open each case and check for dimples and breaks, also keep an eye out for how fast it's moving off the shelves. Amazing paint for the price. A for the price going to be almost impossible to beat (above average shell, best fill, low price)

2. Diablo Formula 13- $50 a case, the fill is actually the second worst in the group, altough chalky theres not much in it and it fades fast, the size consistancy is amazing, the seams are small (they always seem slightly bigger on two toned paint), the shell is extremely thin almost as thin as marballizer, I still think this is great paint for the price. B+ great all around paint for the price (above average shell, below average fill, high/average price)

3. RPS Marballizer - $65 a case, the fill is suprizingly the worst of the group, watery, hard to see and fades extremely fast, the size consistancy is great, the seams are perfect, the shell is very thin, it's clear so the color your seeing is actually the fill, perfect for breaking on target, even though the fill is thin this paint flies perfectly through the air. B+ would be amazing if the fill was thick and was a bit cheaper, also if your playing woodsball this paint would be extremely easy to wipe because of the thickness of the fill and the color (that is if you play with a bunch of cheaters =P ) (Best shell, below average fill, high price)

4. RPS Stinger - $40 a case, the fill is average of the paintballs compared, the size consistancy and the seams are great although as it seems on most two tones shells the seams are just a fraction larger. The shell is decent for the price, a little on the thick side, alot thicker than Marballizer but not as thick as Camotac, this paint is oily, they must place an oil on the balls to keep them from sticking when traveling to the stores. B It's a great budget paint it breaks easier on target than Diablo Heat and is less oily but has a worse fill. (slightly above average shell, average fill, average price)

5. Diablo Heat - $40 a case, the fill was the second best of the group it's very thick and there's a lot of it, the size consistancy is great and the seams are very small, the shell is very thick the second thickest out of the paint tested, this paint is extremely oily, if you let a bag sit for any length of time you will see it accumulate on the bag. B- It's a great budget paint with a great fill, however it's shell is still too thick and the paint is very oily. (average shell, slightly above average fill, average price)

6. XO Camotac - $40 a case, the fill would be great if there was more in it, it's an extremely thick white paste, the size consistancy is great and the seams are very small, however the shell is the thickest I have ever seen, my local paint shop sold out of this crap last weekend when we went to play a large senario game, I ended up taking numerous rounds to the head at almost point blank range and they didn't break. D- This stuff is basically a rubber bullet, if you can get it cheap use it for target training and leave it at that. (Worst shell, average fill not much fill but whats in there is good, average price)

*As of now based on Price/Fill/Shell Thickness I would say the best budget paint is Diablo Visible Impact followed by Stinger.

~List of Paintball Companys, manufacturing location, paintball types~

Draxxus- (made by Procaps) made in Montreal Quebec Canada
Paintballs they make, DXS Gold, Silver, Bronze, Blaze, Rec Sport, Basic Training

Diablo- (company is from Sewell, New Jersey) the paintballs are manufactured by KEE action sports in Clearwater, Florida
Paintballs they make, All Star, Formula 13, Heat, Zen, Ramp, Ramp Blizzard, Visible Impact?(not 100% on this one I think VI is made by Game Face but now marked through Diablo)

RPS paintball - Also paintballs are manufactured in Clearwater, Florida, (I would guess they use the same KEE plant that Diablo uses).
Paintballs made by RPS are, Evil, Marballizer, Nightmare, Premium, Stinger, Polar Ice, BT Munitions

X.O. Industries - Ontario, Canada (thx to VaughanBallaa for finding the location) has major warehouses in Plant City Florida, Lakeview, South Carolina, Tiger Oregon, Farmingdale New Jersey, and Union City California.
Paintballs made by XO, Spectrum, Chrome, V1, Camotac, Menace, Hot box, Vein, Velocity, Designer Series

WPN - (not sure on there manufacturing plant) WPN makes, Weapons Grade, Elixer, Killabeez, Toxic

Links to some great information (these are not my videos)-

Paintball Accuracy Video- Testing Marballizer, Premium, DXS Gold, Chronic. Marballizer was the most accurate followed by premium, then DXS Gold, then Chronic. Using target grouping.
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=-td0WYVS2eE

Control Bore Size Paintball Accuracy Video- Testing the grouping accuracy on a .680, .687, .696, and a .70, using Marballizer and 25 shots each. (22 inch spread on the .680, 20 inch spread on the .687, 16 inch spread on the .696, only a 14 inch spread on the .70.
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=r7LMQLSfiDY

Great Write up by Ol'Baditude on the INKA Jungle Paint.

I'll resurrect this thread.
Picked up a case of INKA Jungle today at Badlands Paintball here in Calgary. Yes they are made in Canada, and I heard somewhere that it was being made specifically for Badlands.
I put ~480 of them through my mini, and it shot very well out of my 14" 1pc .689 CP Classic and Evil Driver barrels, but I was definitely over boring. With RPS Premium and Formula 13 the guys at the shop were always willing to open a box and remove the twist tie from the bag to let me put a few through my barrel to guage bore size. With the INKA, the bags are heat sealed so you can't do that. As such, it wasn't till after I got home that I rolled the left over 20 or so through my barrel. They are quite consistent wrt size and I'd say the average was .685 since they pretty much rolled through every time.
The guys at the shop said the INKA Copper($35/case) was comparable to Formula 13($60/case here), the Silver($40/case) to RPS Premium($63/case here) and the Jungle($45/case) to Evil($68/case here).
While I will agree that the shell consistency reminds me of evil, the seam leaves a bit to be desired. Definitely decent, but not as good as I've seen. However, there was not one single dimple on any of the balls I took out of the bag which was a pleasant surprise. I was very happy with the accuracy overall out of my .689 barrels, very straight shooting paint provided your barrel is clean.
The fill(white or red)is nice and thick, roughly the same as RPS premium.
For $45 CDN a case of 2000, you CAN NOT go wrong with this paint, especially if you like to hide where your shots are coming from since the shells are half brown and half olive. If you like to see your shot path, then I'd just go with the Silver($40 per case) or Bronze ($35 per Case).
After my experience today, I would have to say this paint is probably the best value on the market right now. Lucky for me I have a steady supply.

Edited by Killswitchengage, 07 July 2010 - 05:03 AM.

#2 FacePainter

FacePainter

Blue Drank

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:14 AM

First?

Edit: Great info with suprising results!

Edited by FacePainter, 10 June 2010 - 06:18 AM.

#3 NickDR8

NickDR8

Saving cash for a used NT11, Geo 2.1, or Ego 11!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:44 AM

Edit: Great info with suprising results!

I SECOND that statement.
Posted Image
Setup: Dangerous Power G3 Spec-R Electric Blue, Blue Dye Rotor, Ninja Grey Ghost 68/4500.
Dangerous Power Owners Club

Feedback 1/0

#4 Hibiki54

Hibiki54

Lord of the Western Lands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:02 PM

I do not support your review of Marbalizer. It is more of a performance ball for woodsballers and the results can only be measured in live action. When you're hit by a marbalizer, you're going to definitely feel it and the big bright green splotch will not be missed.
Posted Image

#5 Killswitchengage

Killswitchengage

Say What Again....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 01:55 AM

I do not support your review of Marbalizer. It is more of a performance ball for woodsballers and the results can only be measured in live action. When you're hit by a marbalizer, you're going to definitely feel it and the big bright green splotch will not be missed.

That's fine your entitled to your opinion. But as I stated before these comparisons are based on visual inspections of each, not based on there field performance, or reputation, I love Marballizer, if you do by all means keep using it. To test each on performance I would need to match each paint to its correct barrel bore size and run through at least a few different cases just to make sure I'm not basing the results on one bad case. I don't have the time or money to do that. If I would happen to say maybe hit the lottery, I'd be more than happy to fly you out to PA, as to where you could run around my yard while I fired mulitple rounds at you, so we could conclusively test "live action" i'm j/k, but seriously...

Marballizer would be great for speedball/airball where you have alot of refs keeping a close eye. As you can see though from the pictures the fill is extremely watery and hard to see on dark clothing after just one wipe, that picture even has the light reflecting off the paint, it is even less visible without the camera flash. Now if your playing with honest players or alot of refs, then this paint great. On break it's bright, and very noticeable, but if someone wipes this with dark clothes do to the thin fill, it is almost impossible to see.

Since this is such a thin shelled paint, it doesn't have the same impact of say camotac or monster ball (now that crappy paint you will feel, and for days afterwards =P ), any paint that breaks easier will hurt a lot less, granted you will feel any paintball hit you at reasonable velocity (minus mask, gun, pack, loader, excessive padded areas). The shell is perfect, nothing to change there, but for the price the fill should be alot better even though there is a lot in it, the fill texture is terrible for the price, and that's why it didn't receive an A.

The grading is based on the combination of case size consitancy, seam size, shell thickness, fill thickness, fill texture, and price (as why it is posted in the budget baller section). For that price the fill should be spot on. However if you see the name "Marballizer" and just cause other people say it's good, then heck it must be good, go write your own review, I don't care if Jesus says it's good paint i'm giving them an honest review.

Edited by Killswitchengage, 11 June 2010 - 07:49 AM.

#6 bdell

bdell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:37 AM

I get my RPS Stinger paint for $25.

#7 Jibber Jabber

Jibber Jabber

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:31 PM

Do you know if you can do an INKA paint review?

#8 Killswitchengage

Killswitchengage

Say What Again....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:10 PM

I can try for you I actually never heard of it before, heading to the one shop in town here in a few to pick up a few cases of Weapons Grade they have some cases left over from last weekends game and are selling it for $23 a case I never tried the stuff. Going to the other shop across town after I finish off these cases they sell alot of the XO and Draxxus line. Then going to try to try some of the paint from Dick's Sporting Goods. If I see a case of it while I am out be more than happy to review it for you.

Update: Just got 4 cases of WPN Weapons grade, for $23 a case shop said there going to start getting it in after this overstock from last weeks game runs out and sell it for $35 a case. It looks really promising I shot off about 500 rounds to test it out and the shell is somewhat comparible to Diablo Heat in thickness just slightly thicker (not as bad as Camotac though) and the fill seems pretty decent about average.

Any paint you cannot break with moderate force, using the flat of your thumb and side of pointer finger, I would consider as thick. The ones that broke the easiest so far are Marballizer, Formula 13/Diablo Visable Impact, Stinger in that order. The ones that take a great deal of force are Heat, Weapons Grade, Camotac in that order from easiest to hardest. For the money I would have to say as of now go with Visible Impact being best shell/fill for the price, followed by RPS Stinger. Even though cheaper Weapons Grade seems to have to hard of a shell to compete with Stinger.

Edited by Killswitchengage, 11 June 2010 - 10:29 PM.

#9 DENNI740

DENNI740

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 10:08 AM

It's funny that the Walmart paint got an A and the Marbs got a B+!

#10 Killswitchengage

Killswitchengage

Say What Again....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 04:58 PM

It's funny that the Walmart paint got an A and the Marbs got a B+!

Yep Marballizer would be a better speedball/airball paint for sure since the soft shell, but as far as a visual comparison, the fill is extremely watery for that price range.

#11 nicknack171

nicknack171

Punkwork Intern

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 05:21 PM

the results are really interesting and thanks for doing this test! one thing i noticed is that one of the fields around me only uses marbs. the fill in them is a thick white fill much like the visible impact you showed. and at another field the diablo heat can be as brittle as rps premium. i think it depends on location and freshness alot more than some people think. but no hate on you or your test i think you did a great job.
Minnesota Ballers Club My Youtube!
"Dont drink nick,stay in school and dont smoke"- Gordon "Cockerpunk", while smoking and drinking at ll3
Im under 18 and pay for all my gear. but i also dont pay heating,water,electrical bills, car,health,home insurance. so props to you guys who have real payments and still play paintball

#12 Killswitchengage

Killswitchengage

Say What Again....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 10:40 PM

the results are really interesting and thanks for doing this test! one thing i noticed is that one of the fields around me only uses marbs. the fill in them is a thick white fill much like the visible impact you showed. and at another field the diablo heat can be as brittle as rps premium. i think it depends on location and freshness alot more than some people think. but no hate on you or your test i think you did a great job.

Thanks a lot for the post, I never considered location to be that big of a factor, but your absolutely right, it is. There is probably way to much data to factor in to make this comparison 100%. I would have to probably go through multiple tests of different cases, get each at a different time, and get each from a different region. Also, who is to say the paint manufacture doesn't change there ingredients, or how truly fresh the paint is from shipping, storing ect. I'm just going to post it up for fun, but you really opened my eyes, just how inaccurate these conclusions actually are. Well take it as a grain of salt but I guess if your from the PA area it would probably be more accurate than say if you live in Florida or California. Thanks again though for the kind words.

Edited by Killswitchengage, 12 June 2010 - 10:45 PM.

#13 orangataun

orangataun

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:38 PM

If you watched mikes video about gettin fresh paint he talks about paint being better in areas near its manufacturer and he gives some examples. Great review, but I'd say it applies best to the PA area. back in NC marbs are so thick its like the paint is breeding on your jersey, you cant get clean without water, and diablo isnt as brittle. Now that i'm in WV though its good to see how paint holds up in the area :P ill take your advice when i get out to play again.
ego8-rotor-68/45 Pure Energy
Profilers
08 empire contact gear

#14 Killswitchengage

Killswitchengage

Say What Again....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 03:44 AM

Orangataun,
Thanks for the post, I did however state this in one of my opening paragraphs.

Please keep in mind that you should always look for the freshest paint available, as Mike has stated before, find out which paintball manufacturer is close by to where you live.

No hard feelings though was easy to miss. I love NC I would hate to have to leave there, hope you find WV as nice though. Ya i'm going to grab another case of Marballizer from the other shop in my area, everyone loves there Marballizers =), I knew posting anything somewhat negative would get me killed on here haha, oh well. One of the guys I play with won't shoot anything other than Marbs, he swears nothing flys as straight. Got a few other paints I've been trying out WPN Weapons grade and Draxxus Silver, just got to get at least 4 more cases of some different paints before I do another comparison. Thanks though for the post.

For anyone wanting to watch the vid Orang is talking about, here is the link, it's a good video by Mike.
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=FbLeVK57dK8

Edited by Killswitchengage, 16 June 2010 - 03:48 AM.

#15 Ol'Baditude

Ol'Baditude

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 03:05 AM

OP thx for your work on this thread. I was wondering about the lower end Diablo and RPS paints.

Not as comprehensive as the OP was in this thread, but gives you an idea of how the INKA paint stacks up.
Overall I thought it was an excellent performer and a fantastic value. Only tested the Jungle however.
http://www.techpb.co...dpost&p=1391440

#16 VaughanBallaa

VaughanBallaa

putting balls on your face in a city near you!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 08:02 PM

X.O is manufactured in Ontario, Canaadaaa :D
atleast some spectrum is cause people always say the plants about an hour from my field

Donate jar, and when its full go donate it to the strip club. :)
Nothing better than playing hard and getting hard.

#17 Killswitchengage

Killswitchengage

Say What Again....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 03:01 AM

Ol'Baditude thanks alot, that is a great write up I have never seen that paint for sale in my area. Appreciate the link, hope you don't mind I added it to my first post for others to check out as it will be awhile till I ever review this paint.

VaughanBallaa Thanks alot, I tried looking forever and couldn't find where it was manufactured, appreciate it. Updated it above.

should have another 6 to compare here in a week or two at most. Have a few of the xo and draxxus lines to post up, would like to get the xball in from Dick's Sporting Goods as alot of people seem to like it. Thanks again guys!

Edited by Killswitchengage, 28 June 2010 - 03:11 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users