16 replies to this topic

#1 JerryTX

JerryTX

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:08 AM

Just a friendly heads up to newer players that play at fields that allow you to bring your own paint; be careful what you buy as it may not be allowed. (THIS IS REGARDING .68 CALIBER)

There is a combination of reasons, the main ones include:
- it uses an oily fill that stains
- the shells are hard and don't break which makes for an unpleasant experience for other players
- it could potentially damage your equipment
- it leaves a nasty residue that is hard to clean thus ruins your local field
- oily fill is fish oil based which animals love (enticing them to eat a lot of them) and if eaten will get sick.

A good test to see how thick a paint shell is ... drop it from a set height, about 5-6 feet, and see how many drops until the paint breaks. Do this with 3 of the same paintballs to get an accurate idea. If you are dropping this paint more than 6-7 times without breaking you have a very tough paint.

Another test to see what the fill is ... poke a hole in the shell and drain it into a glass of water. If you mix them together and the paint settles out on a layer over the top of the water then its an oily paint.

Rather than go into the specific products, I decided to go with some guidelines:

1. Brass Eagle, Viewloader, or JT; its probably banned.
2. If it comes in a bucket or plastic jar instead of a box w/ baggies; its probably banned.
3. I hate to say this but if its at or under $35/case of 2000. However, that is slightly misleading. There are some paints around $35 - $40/case range that are a good value and a good paint.

Let me know if I need to make any corrections. I know some of the manufactures either pulled their offending product or reformulated it.

Edited by JerryTX, 24 June 2010 - 11:21 AM.

I didn't get where I am today by worrying about how I'd feel tomorrow.

#2 Cubeman

Cubeman

Be Prepared

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,672 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:10 AM

Good write up. I just think you should touch on other calibers, like .43. Because those come in a jar and they are ok at most fields.

CBC.png

the revi looks like a uncircumcised bird and the threshy looks like a turkey on thanks giving lovely, mouth watering :rolleyes:

#3 Draft

Draft

Black Metall Kommando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:12 AM

Not all JT paint is like that. My local field uses JT (Killer PB) and it works pretty well. It isn't the Wal-Mart crap though.

Michigan 'Baller #32
Task Force 68 - CPT - Michigan Wraith Battalion XO
My gearbag sale (Venomwear, Empire, Signed gear!)

#4 JerryTX

JerryTX

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:22 AM

Good write up. I just think you should touch on other calibers, like .43. Because those come in a jar and they are ok at most fields.

Good point. I made a note that this was in reference to .68 caliber paintballs.
I didn't get where I am today by worrying about how I'd feel tomorrow.

#5 Kermit

Kermit

TechPB, sad to see the end of an era. R.I.P.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,643 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:59 AM

Not all JT paint is like that. My local field uses JT (Killer PB) and it works pretty well. It isn't the Wal-Mart crap though.

Yea, my field actually sells JT paint

#6 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,830 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:58 PM

Any red, pink, and sometimes blue or white fill paint are usually banned.

Edited by Antonious, 24 June 2010 - 05:59 PM.

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#7 Liko

Liko

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:21 PM

Red, definitely; looks like blood. Blue, more often than not; stains horribly. White, I haven't seen it banned (except because it's not field paint) but it's generally not a good idea, especially rec-balling; you can't make a "neon white", and against players just wearing white t-shirts and stonewashed jeans it's impossible to see, so you have to hit the mask or hopper.

I have not seen pink banned just because of the color. Quite the contrary, a lot of really good paints have hot pink fills, and even a lot of field paints break pink. It's generally considered a good fill color.

The most popular fill colors are the neons; yellow, orange, pink and green. Green's tricky; you're playing on grass, so for green to work well it has to be a very bright electric lime green, generally in a "tournament fill" formula that's very opaque.

#8 XNARUX

XNARUX

The Starcraft/Paintball Hybrid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:27 PM

Monsterballs!

Im surprised people havnt posted this one yet.
Paintball: My antidrug. Because when you put so much money into paintball how the fuck do you pay for crack cocaine?

#9 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,830 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:01 PM

Red, definitely; looks like blood. Blue, more often than not; stains horribly. White, I haven't seen it banned (except because it's not field paint) but it's generally not a good idea, especially rec-balling; you can't make a "neon white", and against players just wearing white t-shirts and stonewashed jeans it's impossible to see, so you have to hit the mask or hopper.

I have not seen pink banned just because of the color. Quite the contrary, a lot of really good paints have hot pink fills, and even a lot of field paints break pink. It's generally considered a good fill color.

The most popular fill colors are the neons; yellow, orange, pink and green. Green's tricky; you're playing on grass, so for green to work well it has to be a very bright electric lime green, generally in a "tournament fill" formula that's very opaque.

A few of the fields I've been at banned pink because they said it stains badly.

Monsterballs!

Im surprised people havnt posted this one yet.

They're just so bad that people feel they shouldn't be even given the inglory of being the worst paint ever made. Posted Image

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#10 smalingl

smalingl

McAvatar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:47 PM

Some fields don't allow First Strike
Posted Image
Signature Made By:BigBalla

#11 Hibiki54

Hibiki54

Lord of the Western Lands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:54 PM

Anything WPN.
Posted Image

#12 Miss_Hell

Miss_Hell

I'm Spunky!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:06 PM

I've never had to worry about this, because it seems no matter where I go, it's field paint only <_<
Posted Image

#13 Razgriz183

Razgriz183

rAwR!

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:23 PM

#3 is false

just because the paint in your geographic location that sells for 35$ and under does not mean all paint that sells for $35 and under are crappy paint.

my pro shop sells these for $30

1. spectrum
2. camotac
3. weapon grade
4. empire bullets (discontinued)

etc

not my choice of paint but they are very commonly sold at fields for $40-60 a case at the field
my feedback :) 16/0/0
www.zephyrpaintball.com

www.OringMonkey.com

www.santaclarapaintball.com

#14 ammo303

ammo303

Ambush Baller

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 03:54 PM

if anyone uses Monster paint I will come to your house and cry in front of you and hopefully make you feel bad about shooting rocks at people

#15 callmemad

callmemad

Being investigated by TechPB....

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 06:19 PM

#3 is false

just because the paint in your geographic location that sells for 35$ and under does not mean all paint that sells for $35 and under are crappy paint.

my pro shop sells these for $30

1. spectrum
2. camotac
3. weapon grade
4. empire bullets (discontinued)

etc

not my choice of paint but they are very commonly sold at fields for $40-60 a case at the field

Yeah I have bought spectrum for $30 a case. I get quite a few bounces but it gets the job done if your on a budget.

#16 fsugonoles63

fsugonoles63

Oh good, the voices are back

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,614 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 06:25 PM

RPS Flash has to be the best budget paint ever. For 25 dollars a case you get paint with a bright yellow fill and breaks contact

#17 ClayCallison

ClayCallison

Vatican Assassin Worlock

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 04:10 PM

Jt rps stinger is good to use these days they stepped it up.  And now you can get Draxxus X-ball paint for only $30 at dicks!

If you're under 18 and pay for your own stuff, put this in your signature.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users