• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Seekey

Seekey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 11:24 AM

Its probably been discussed but I couldnt find it. Has it ever been attempted? The shell would need to be thicker to compesate for the loss in structural integrity but I would think it could be done. Also I dont think you would even need as many dimples as a golf ball has to make a significant difference.

Posted Image Posted Image
http://wings.avkids....or/golf-01.html

#2 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,119 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 01:14 PM

there is a link to deep blue the science forum on automags.org in the stickies at the top of the page.

tom kaye did some research in those regards, and found it just was not worth the hassle to manufacture for limited if any improvements.
The ultimate truth in paintball is that the interaction between the gun and the player is far and away the largest factor in accuracy, consistency, and reliability.

And yes, Gordon is the sexiest manifestation of "to the front."

#3 oerllikon

oerllikon

Sober people R jerks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 11:14 PM

Im pretty sure it would only make a big difference if you were using the likes of a flatline, or apex. Im no expert on golf history, but I'm pretty sure that they used to be made of smooth leather. When they got more beaten up from use, they flew better. The reason being, is that the dimples on the ball disrupt the drag on the ball. I would like to see if there were a way to do this with a paintball, or reball even. Im curious about what difference it would make
My new signature is better than ever

#4 GrenadeMaster

GrenadeMaster

Be A Doer - Not A Talker

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,396 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 10:53 AM

Unfortunately, its not to plausible right now. It would double the cost of production, plus you would have many many more problems in the quality of the balls.

Cool idea, but it kind of sounds like the old "sniper" fins that failed abysmally.
There's two kinds of people in this world when you boil it all down. You got your talkers and you got your doers. Most people are just talkers, all they do is talk. But when it is all said and done, it's the doers that change this world. And when they do that, they change us, and that's why we never forget them. So which one are you? Do you just talk about it, or do you stand up and do something about it?

#5 slinkyaroo

slinkyaroo

Yes, I'm old. Yes, I'm cranky.

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,868 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 11:33 AM

Old argument. The big thing to remember is that the core of a golf ball is solid and the center of gravity is constant, as well as the outer shell.

#6 KonekoZombie PB

KonekoZombie PB

Bob Long Lives in Vice City Why

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 02:58 AM

Old argument. The big thing to remember is that the core of a golf ball is solid and the center of gravity is constant, as well as the outer shell.

yes that's the factor that you need to remember

Koneko means kitten in Japanese =^.^=

TIMMY MILITIA, **HALO CLAN**, and ze Grammar Nazi's.

#7 Epshot

Epshot

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 07:27 PM

hmm, I'd actually like to test that. Even if it was too expensive now, it could be something to look forward to with manufacturing technology. After all, IF it worked and someone did manufacture them, they could make a lot of money.

I actually know someone with a prototyping machine. Shouldn't' cost too much for him to make mold from an autocad file(thats relative..)
You would make one mold with dimples, one with out*which could be simply cast form a reball. then use the same fill for both molds.

course the main reason i would be interested in them, is that decreased drag would mean that side winds would affect the trajectory less. whats the poi tin spending $100 no a barrel when the wind is going to blow it off course anyways xP

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users